Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was sent €5000 by mistake

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Had a missed call from KBC today on number 01-6646100 so rang them back on this number.

Guy again asked could he give me IBAN to send back €700, I asked him could he first tell me what happened exactly.

He said someone just send money to my account by mistake.

I told him I got advice and would not be sending the money back myself and I wanted KBC to sort it, he said he understood why I would not want to send the money myself and that KBC would sort the issue themselves.

He then said my car loan was overdue a direct debit payment and I should make it manually and gave me an IBAN, also a note was added to the account explaining the missed direct debit.

After phone call I checked the IBAN of my car loan account and it was different then the one he gave me so rang them back.

Guy explained the IBAN I was given was a Ulster Bank holding account KBC use for mortgages and car loans and I should use this to make the direct debit not my car loan IBAN.

I asked for someone to ring me again to explain everything as this is very messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ulster Bank are buying the KBC loan book so that explains why they have a different IBAN for your car payment.

Just wait for them to sort it out. They will eventually get their money back, banks are good at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

None of this makes any sense. How can your loan be sent money and they are noe asking you to sebd money to another account?

I would be either

1. Call KBC customer care yourself and ask what is going on.

2. Do nothing and see what happens.

Wondering will my credit history be negatively impacted with the missed direct debit even with their note added explaining the reason for missed DD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Pause for a second here....

After refusing to pay €700 euro back to an unknown account, based on advice you got, they immediately dropped the request for this......and they can now suddenly sort it!! Why ask you in the first place then?

And the immediately they just happened to request another large payment to another IBAN number that you have no record off...?

This could all be legitimate, but to be honest there are several alarm bells ringing here now....

How was the Car LOAN DD missed, Was there not enough funds in your account or is it due to this load switch between banks and the IBAN changing?

Did they know the exact amount of the DD? Can you see yourself it is missed in your account?

• Advertisement

Not sure if he said I missed the DD or I just needed to make it manually for this month while they fix my car loan account.

No plenty funds in my current account, I should of asked why they can't just take the funds from my account as usual as put it into the holding account themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

That doesn't sound right to me seeing as both KBC and ulster are exiting the Irish Market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So much fraud it's best to be safe

Question, off topic/ Credit Card receipts from stores.... the merchant copy, what should happen that copy?

Surely these receipts shouldn't be just put into recycling,

So called contactless payments, lolz, eh yea all the details are on the merchant receipt, all your numbers, expiry, security code.

I DON'T GET IT. Surely there is laws regarding the disposal of merchant credit card receipts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,428 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bank of Ireland are. Ulster are leaving themselves, not buying more.

Hi guys,

Was finally sent a letter from my current account bank PTSB saying they have received a request to recall a payment from my account.

Only weird think is it says on second line that I am(as in me) requesting the money that was sent to my account be returned to them.

Should it not be KBC or the guy who mistakenly sent the money should be requesting the money?

I have attached the letter below, the name blanked out in the second like is my name.

Would everyone on here be happy to send the money back now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

It has your name on the loan account where it came from so that's why it's like that I'd say. Seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could it be that the person recalling the funds has the same name as you and that is the reason for the mistake initially.

The key to this is not to send funds back yourself and that will be paid with your legit money while the other funds you got in could be recalled any day and you would then be down the recalled amount plus the amount you paid out.

Tell the bank, to reverse transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Seems legit, but awful messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

Nope.

You aren't requesting anything. Tell your bank you didn't request this

Make them do it right. If anything goes wrong here if your name is the requestor you are to blame, not them.

DD missed is their problem. Resubmit and it'll be claimed ok.

You shouldn't need to do anything to fix their fck up

Check the credit bureau afterwards that your credit worthiness hasn't been affected. If it has then issue letter if complaint outlining what you want them to do to resolve it and by when. If they refuse complaint to ombudsman. (Probably do this in any case).

Could I get in trouble the longer this drags on, not sending the money back? Someone told me the money in my account is not mine so technically theft if I touch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The payment is in your account for more than 5 days, therefore it is cleared funds and therefore your bank simply requires your permission to reverse that payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

I can't see how. As long as you don't spend it and ask for reasonable assurance from the bank as to what went wrong and how THEY intend to resolve the issue then I can't see any comeback on you

As and when you are satisfied it's not a scam and where funds should be returned then return funds (less any reasonable costs you incur as a result of this incident) then no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Thomas

Advertisement