Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

How long exactly is this conspiracy supposed to go back?

Before Dundalk even had new owners?

Before pats knocked Dundalk out of cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It’s also a fact that these college football teams are playing what’s considered the national game . The industry and interest dwarves anything in Ireland .

Those players are drafted into the NFL so you are possibly looking at the equivalent of watching Messi or Ronaldo before they go pro .

The GAA college tournament teams of Fitzgerald and Sigurson cup would have much much higher attendances and interest than a UCD LOI game for the same reason . A lot of these lads are the future stars of the inter county game and are been hyped up and talked about all over the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

A large amount of people over there would say baseball is the National game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Tim Clancy to replace Stephen O'Donnell at Pat's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wouldn't really say full time, it's morning training compared to evening training. Would say the majority of the lads will still be working part time or full time depending on their roles with slightly reduced hours, for example I can't see Luke Byrne giving up what seems a decent day job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

dundalk were also interested in Clancy this but knew drogheda had him under contract. So they looked elsewhere. Simple really. There was talk a few years ago of O’Donnell managing Galway but it came to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't think people have the same attachment to their college as you'd see in the USA or even the more prestigious colleges in the UK. While I enjoyed my time in DIT I never went to attend a game of any sport there and didn't particularly care how they got on. Most people I knew both in DIT and other colleges were similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

As a Drogheda supporter, I'm gutted that Tim is leaving but wish him well. He has worked wonders for us and leaves with our tremendous respect and admiration.

If Kev stays, I'll be happy; the players really admire him and his training etc. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a Perth after Kenny situation.

Whilst Pats fans are gutted and raging at Dundalk, I doubt that they'll have too much sympathy for Drogheda supporters and will welcome their new manager. It is what it is in the LoI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd have some sympathy for the Drogs but essentially if there's a release clause there and we've activated it then it's the same as any other transfer really. Does look like we're favourites for Browne and Doyle if they don't go to Scotland and England in fairness but that was the case before the whole management mess started allegedly.

I'm following LoI for over 40 years KK. It's always been the same and I don't blame Pats for wanting to get the best that they can.

I remember Brian Kerr taking half the Drogheda team to Pats in the mid 80s (he was our assistant manager) and Mick Moody, Dave Henderson, Damien Byrne, John McDonnell all won around them with Pats in the following years. It's football.

Jimmy Browne would be a terrific signing but he has trials in England and Derry have already made him a good offer.

I'm not sure that Doyler is what you need. He's not a natural goalscorer and a lot of his goals are pens. He's good for us but he's no Christy Fagan or Paddy Dillon!

The irony is that SOD could take half the Pats team to Dundalk while Tim Clancy could take a few from Drogheda to Pats. But last season, Pats finished second and we finished just above the relegation play-off. Our players did brilliantly to stay in the division but I expect Pats fans have higher expectations!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Likewise. Probably the only reason I went to UCD games was because it was LOI and I had zero affiliation to any other LOI club. I had gone to Maynooth for 4 years and had zero interest in their teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Their model isnt built on attendances like the other LOI clubs so its pointless talking about their attendances because they are irrelevant to them anyway.

I remember Collie O'Neil saying the college give about 100k in funding/scholarships every year for their players and something similar comes from the club fundraising themselves, golf event days with alumni and the likes.

Personally never minded UCD, in a league with more than its fair share of basket cases and egotistical owners they're as solid as you could get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

No conspiracy, but unless Pats are flat out telling lies, O’Donnell was offered a contract in September. There seems to be some doubt about whether he signed or not, so either he was dicking Pats around, (perhaps with an eye on the Dundalk job becoming vacant ?) or he did sign, and now wants to jump ship because Dundalk came calling. The fact that he seems to have been stalling on players contracts does smell a bit either way. Almost like he knew he wouldn’t be there. It’s partly the timing, after such a good season that stings, but I get it, if I was a Dundalk fan I probably wouldn’t give two hoots either. That’s football I suppose, as someone else said. And yeah, we’re taking Clancy from Drogheda by all accounts, but that seems to have been a much more above board deal.

will be very funny if O’Donnell falls on his arse next season at Dundalk though. Schadenfreude won’t come close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

It's clear O'Donnell had not signed a new contract by September mostly likely salary and budget and not because he knew the Dundalk Peak6 disaster was going to be resolved, how can a manager realistically negotiate contracts with players when there is no certainty that the manager will be around in two months time? It would be doubtful some players would commit to new contracts under these circumstances

This mess is on the club and not on O'Donnell no matter how much Pats fans are desperately trying to dress it up with conspiracy theories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Clancy confirmed with a two year contract. Interestingly phrased statement.

https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=9042

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://twitter.com/stpatsfc/status/1466482471319617559

3 Managers now and miaow......

Tim Clancys Alan MAtthews Stevie O Donells red and white army, does have a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If Buckley was to leave us I'd be calling Clancy before O'Donnell, and I felt that way before this whole saga (who knows what really happened?).

I really like Clancy and think Pats have done well here.

Those season tickets make Dundalk look mean. €160 v €220 main stand. (Concession) and Pats have family tickets, (sadly lacking at Dundalk). Dundalk also don’t ‘police’ allocated stand tickets.

of course Pats ‘wanted’ Kenny as Ireland manager. Why wouldn’t they.

How is it clear exactly ? There is obviously something going on in the background, otherwise why haven’t Dundalk announced O’Donnell yet ?

As regards Clancy, there are no guarantees, so we’ll see how it works out. Looks like a positive move though. His first job should be to get Chris Forrestor and Lee Desmond signed up. Recruitment will be key.

SOD will be fishing balls out of the camac next season, the reason Dundalk (and their mad owners) havent announced anything is because they have nothing to announce SOD is contracted to St Pats and shall remain so until their/our millionaire owner feels otherwise.

I know its the LOI but **** me who advises these guys, honestly someone who gets paid more than me advised SOD to hand in his notice of sorts without realising the actual situation that he signed up to.

As for the new/old dundalk owners......lol WTAF did you think you were at? Dundalk are just a special mention in the hashtag #greatestleagueintheworld

I dont think they have overtaken homeless **** yet but they are close.

• Advertisement

I think it all comes down to compo now. Could well be a legal battle, but O’Donnell will ultimately end up at Dundalk and some sort of deal will be done. After all, he’s no good to us now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great news, the name is being kept.

I'm not sure what Cabo are getting out of this deal now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Season Ticket prices, cheapest option priced in all cases. I couldn't see prices for Drogs, Harps or UCD, please feel free to add.

Club/Adult/Child

Bohemians/250/130 **

Derry City/269.1/70.2 * ***

Dundalk/175/35

Shamrock Rovers/180/25 *

Shelbourne/240/80

Sligo Rovers/240/60 ****

St. Pats/230/18 *

* Early bird Pricing

** Bohemians also have a Junior Gypsies offer for 40 which gets kids a pack of goodies and access to all home league games except v Shamrock Rovers.

*** converted from GBP->EUR @1.17

**** kids ticket includes training top and goodies

presumably, let them get back to do what they were good at doing - running junior sides. They now have a pathway for their underage players to play league football without the pretence of maintaining a side in the League to do so.

Bray benefit in an entirely complementary way, getting without any effort on their part, the underage structure that every league side needs. Like they had with Joeys but hopefully for all parties with much better relationships.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohs also have the option of membership at €365 which includes entry to matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does a season ticket not provide entry to home games?

In order to best compare apples with apples, I went with the cheapest season ticket publicly available. Bohs membership is not open to me, for instance. Most clubs have different ways to buy a ST, easiest to compare the "walk up" prices at each.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes. Membership is different in that you become an owner of the club and have a vote at the AGM.

Understood.

O'Donnell had not a signed a new contract by September after 4 months of negotiations, it is clear if a performing manager has not signed a new contract after that timeframe with two months left in the season that there is issues with personal terms and resources he would be working with unless someone somehow thinks he was tapped up by Dundalk's new owners for 6 months before they took over the club from Peak6

Well flagged Dundalk have not announced O'Donnell because Pats have not announced O'Donnell's departure as manager and because of a potential legal dispute/compensation claim with Pats claiming in September that they exercised a two-year option in his original contract and claiming O'Donnell and his team agreed to. O'Donnell disputes this, him and Dundalk are confident Pats have no legal claim

• Advertisement

Looks like season tickets have sold out at Bohs. There may be no general sale tickets available for the Jodi stand next season. Obviously the stand only holds around 3,500 but must be a first in the LOI?

Kenny was signed up. Meant absolute zilch to the FAI. Ironic that Dundalk got compensation for Higgins.

So Pats say O’Donnell signed, he says he didn’t. And somehow that’s clear ? Hmm. Seems like the definition of unclear to me. You state he had not signed as a matter of fact. Then there is nothing stopping Dundalk announcing him as manager. ((Once they find someone with their badges to hold his hand 😀)

Cabinteely haven`t got half the underage structure Joeys have. It just seems pretty clear now that Cabo wanted out of the league and they save a bit of face with this move.

Presumably they`ll get the same deal as Joeys and Bray will look after the senior side while they look after the underage sides which is why they joined the league in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Will there be a new team allowed into the first division now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

They didnt get money, however they got something else that we all benifited from 😉

Higgins ... FAI didnt want to pay, until solicitors were contacted. Didnt go down well within the FAI

• Advertisement

Your questions were answered on my previous posts

lol SOD resigned from pats released a statement via INTEGRITY sports or some ****, why resign if not under contract?

Honestly who advises these people.

Anyhoo Dundalk you can announce him now.

Also please stop talking shite, that would be great, thanks

Rovers benefited, Bohs benefited, Pats benefited, Derry benefitted, Sligo benefited. in fact everybody benefited - except maybe Dundalk. Pity they didn’t involve solicitors earlier.

Does SOD own integrity sports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

According to Dan McDonnell it will stay as a 9 team division with the fai looking to add a 3rd tier in the 2023 season

That would be a disaster with a team left hanging every week. It seems very ambitious now to fill a gap in the FD and set up a 3rd tier by 2023.

They need to find a senior club gor the FD + probably 10 current junior/new clubs for the 3rd tier + a few LOI reserve sides to make up the numbers in a regional 3rd tier.

Shams B an absolute nailed on cert to be back in the FD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Exactly. That says it all. Patrick’s should sit tight and say zip.

i don’t particularly mind that he has left. It’s the manner in which he went about it that strikes me as disrespectful.

And IF (emphasises on IF - because it relates to faking virus to prevent player contract negotiations etc) the other rumours are true about his carry on the last number of weeks it’s less than gentlemanly at the least.

That COVID thing is bollix, its 2 bohs fans talking shite.

Should be player announcements on Monday altho from what club remains to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ok good to know. You can’t be up to those Bohs messers.

speaking of..i see Bohs announced 11 resignings.

would hope Forrester and the other stalwarts will stay. Matty Smith would be a must.

Abankwah - what’s his status? Serious potential and still only 17!

Adam Foley, Harps to Drogheda, confirmed.

As a Drogheda supporter, I hope that he's only there to fill a Dinny shaped hole on the bench.

An average player and underwhelming signing.

jaysus really? I thought he was very good for the Harps last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Paul Cook is out of work....Wonder will we ever see him back this way?

Probably enough UK clubs willing to take a punt on him.

Would love him back at Rovers but out of any LOI clubs budget.

Lower league England is a merry go round for managers so probably enough clubs in L1&2 to keep him employed for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Ramasun

It's even more annoying then that these one off incidents grab the headlines.

Ryanair might think any publicity is good publicity but I think in this case it deters casual goers and families.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement