Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't know if that's just a feature of Irish campaigning, but I have noticed that more and more of these protest movements (not just mica and pyrite, but they are the latest) are using children to put their point across.

I think it's a really low tactic to use children, who have no agency of their own, for political point scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I do think the government should offer 0%, or at least very low interest loans, to help people make up the shortfall where needed.

Most people have no issue with funding cases like yours, the issue is with paying for oversized houses. The scheme should be based on peoples needs not compensating for what they had, the government isn't liable here it just has a moral responsibility to help. 1400sqft is more than a decent sized home for most families, many are in much smaller, and yet the average house size of those effected is around 2600 I think.

The other issue is funding for investment properties and holiday home. Again this scheme isn't about compensating for people loss it is about making sure people don't end up homeless, people don't need an investment property they need a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

There is plenty of sympathy - same as for people in poor countries who lost everything because of some earthquake or hurricane. But the government doesn't take on the cost for making good those financially impacted by those earthquakes/hurricane.

If your survey was carried out badly, you should certainly consider taking a case against the surveyor - why should the poor first time buyers of the upcoming decades be forced to pay tens of thousand Euro to make you wealthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The thing is they're not getting a 20 year old house replaced with a 20 year old house.

They're getting a 20 year old house replaced with a brand new house for free.

Imagine when VW had the emissions scandal. Imagine you had a 20 year old VW Golf. Then the emissions scandal happened and it was found your car was affected. Now you demand a replacement and you get a brand new 2022 VW Golf. You're in a far far far better position than if your old golf had no problems at all and was the most perfect car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The problem is I'd argue that a large number of people are in nearly the exact same situation as the people impacted. The only major difference is the mortgage related issues. We have a housing crisis. For those that will not be in a position to buy their own house they have to join the social housing list. Everyone impacted they will not get a house paid for by the government to their own design specs(for self builds anyway). There has been no recognition of that by the campaigners.

Everyone impacted deserves government support however they don't deserve a blank cheque. They are not the only people who are facing issues when it comes to housing in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Was there any compensation for the builder or the person that sold it to you for the difference between their build cost and what they could sell it for? Ultimately they were out of pocket too, paying for something that exceeded its value - but no problem there when it was in the homebuyers favour.

While I am genuinely sympathetic to people's plight here, other equally tough situations have arisen in this country that have seen no support. Renters struggling to afford rent, unaffordable homes to buy, negative equity traps, insane childcare costs to name but a few pressures that could do with 2.2bn worth of support, but get SFA. The fact is that 90% of the demands have been met and the remaining were unrealistic anyway would be seen as a major win by any other group.

The room needs to be read here.

I honestly don't understand why the state proposal is more than "we will buy your property off you at current market value, we promise to increase social housing in your county & we will be quite sympathetic to you as regards the social housing waiting list".

Why are home/mortgage owners considered "better & more deserving citizens" than those on social welfare/ in affordable housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

At this stage you'd wonder if they are capable of reading the room. Infected by a bit of that same mindset found across the border that 'the government' will fund them without question.

On a side note, having been around parts of Donegal, many of the one off houses built in recent years are large by the standards of the rest of the country, bar the wealthier parts of Wicklow & Kildare. Given that Donegal residents are forever also complaining about lack of infrastructure and industry etc., how on earth have they afforded to build them??

Maybe there should be a parallel investigation by Revenue where dwellings exceed 200 sq metres. Just part of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

When did houses start getting built with Mica blocks and when did it end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Grand. So most actually won’t have much of a mortgage hanging out of them, despite the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

A contractor on Pat Kenny talked about the cost of constructing a property in Donegal 127sqft excl vat 144 inc, and then asked was the 145 redress enough! no his price went up to 170/180. The contractors are licking their lips with all the government money......

I'd say a sizable portion of the large houses are self-builds with cash in hand labour(no tax and perhaps dole). The prices floating about now for reconstruction bare no relation to original costs (were income tax and vat were dodged and perhaps mates' rates used).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Not just hard working people and often having to work away from home.

Looking at the amount of mates rates, tax dodging dole scams mentioned in this thread I would say alot of the posters here seem well up on how they work. Leaves me wondering who the scammers may be.

Give me a break re the "Work away from Home", is that the holiday homeowners.

I think its ridiculous people heading the mica campaign have massive houses and good jobs "lecturing" etc with adequate means don't seem to want to contribute a penny into reconstructing their own home yet are have happy enough for taxpayers to do so and also letting all those buying/building a home into the future pay through a block levy. With 2000 families on the Donegal housing list I feel the money could be better spent on council houses that are more adequate to people needs (not 2500sqft) based on peoples requirements not wants(not the dream house BS).

Funny enough it's the exact same contractors who sourced and built with the faulty blocks are now lined up for the big payday too(joke)

What big pay day will the contractor get. Probably be mates rates and tax Dodgers built by dole men according to you. Make up your mind.

You seem to be very well up on the whole doing the double tax dodging side of things.

Please don't judge people by your own morals.

Ok I'll use the term builders so

Morals, Like the main mica spokesperson failing to register his second property for the RTB. Cowboys.

Why should I care what you think, likely never paid a days tax in your life but made full use of mine. Might be wrong but who cares. Seems everything you're spouting about the homeowners and contractors is based on your own speculation and not fact so I thought I would throw in mine.

Isn't there a disconnect between the unwillingness of the owners of these houses to contribute even 1% of the costs, coupled with the expectation that everyone else should pony up 100% without question.

And, bear in mind, they're getting away with it. No-one is saying "OK, your problem is that even where the Government gives you €420,000 of other people's money, you'll still have to pony up €40,000. And your proposed solution is that other people should pony up €460,000."

Bonkers, but tolerated as a respectable position. Absolutely no chance of Government saying "given the stunned reaction of the people who will be paying for all this, our offer is withdrawn. Give us a shout if that means you are actually homeless right now."

In some strange way, doc's speculation seems to resonate more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I agree. They lost me when they began using their children as pawns

Also, I think the way the Mica campaigners abuse politicians on Twitter is quite reprehensible. If it were me, I would lose all interest in trying to find a solution for them tbh.

The Government should agree to build homes for the families affected by Mica but without giving them beneficial ownership of the properties, instead the adults should be afforded a life interest in said homes. That way, the housing could ultimately be used for social housing in the decades to come, rather than leaving a fat hole in the public purse for taxpayers to offset.

Not hard to know the kind of posters posting on here. Some quoting the Pat Kenny show.

How much of your so called taxes went to him not to mention the noise he made about a care home destroying his neighbourhood.

Children as pawns. Yous are the masters of this making them sleep in a gardai station to make a point.

Didn't hear much complaining when you're taxes if you pay taxes went to fund the homeowners in Leinster. Double standards or what.

That would be their parents fault actually, not the general public. Don't have children if you can't support them.

There’s many failings and in the mica campaign, like their attempt to equate the €150 million spent by Government on pyrite homes in five counties including Limerick, an average of €65,000 per house, with the multi-billion Donegal McMansion Blank Cheque Scheme.

Some have also mentioned the multi-billion bank bailout.

As if being forced to pay for the mistakes of others in the past means we can’t say “enough”.

Totally agree. People in Donegal worked hard to build fine homes to support their children. And that's why they are fighting to make sure that their children have a home.

And certainly didn't use them as pawns.

If they were that desperate to provide a home for their children, they would have accepted one of the previous offers made by the Gov and been grateful for such a deal. I'm not sure about you, but parents dragging their children out of school and up to Dublin to parade them around the city for RTE news would seem to me as though they're being used.

Just working out handy for some to say enough when it's certain west coast and northern counties that are in need of help.

Not about money at all I think, its all about the geographical position of certain counties for some.

What planet are you on? Of course it's about the money.

• Advertisement

Any time a child is used to make a political point, they are being used as pawns.

Sorry to be so blunt about it but it really is that simple.

Advertisement