Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

By telling us a story of a woman who arrived in an aeroplane, with no passport, who was legally allowed to be here, and would have been stopped without a passport if she didn't claim asylum?

and then you tell us how gardai and customs catch these people regularly. Seems pretty good border control?

During the wars in the former Yugoslavia countries, the Serbian forces gathered the populations of various villages and small towns in one local large town.

In this town they then placed the females and younger children into buildings, robbed them, often raped them, but did not kill them. They took all the males, from teenagers upwards and murdered them all, usually by shooting, with those males either lined up execution style, or bundled together in a crowd, in a small enclosure.

would you honestly blame any of the people in those countries for trying to get their male relations to leave the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah sure

If you believe this thread Alan Shatter had an amnestly for 80,000 in 2012, theres 250,000 extra migrants in the country that were only just discovered and the EU pushed the Irish government to change these laws. Its full of disinformation that isnt true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not one person dragging the EU into this discussion has a valid point to make. The Irish government decided themselves to do change the law. The EU didnt ask and didnt force.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No because it cant be proven just like the convey- zappone gig but we all know cronyism and jobs for the boys n girls is there now dont we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

She was caught because of her own mistake and she tried it on with a sequence of lies. Correctly,she was thrown out. If she had done it correctly, she'd have been in,legally, as Irish people are expected to do when they visit HK and mainland China. I also saw two other similar instances, one a Dutch citizen and the other a South African and both were caught on lies, when the legal route was open to them. Both were shipped out. The South African decided to assault a GardaI as he was being put aboard our aircraft and he was subsequently exported in handcuffs. that's the kind of stuff that doesnt make the papers. I have no problem with anyone coming here, as long as they do it legally. We are expected to do the same when we go abroad, so everyone should play fair. I still maintain that our borders are porous,even though DAP is well handled but,as I have shown,it's not perfect. You should ask Customs and Gardai about our ports,some time.

So more stories of people being refused entry. Seems pretty good control.

Customs don't have anything to do with immigration, except perhaps finding stowaways trying to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What you are missing is the tit for tat violence that also went on. While the Serbs were headliners when it came to mass murder and ethnic cleansing, the other armed parties,particularly the Croatian HVO were notorious killers and the various Bosnian armed factions did the same. Hundreds of thousands of people fled Yugoslavia when it kicked off,as the warning signs were quite evident,from all sides and dispersed themselves around Europe. Any Serbs or Croats that Ive ever met in Ireland generally keep the head down,don't make waves and do a good job. I work with a very good Croatian tech and he's an asset to our country. that's the kind of people I'm happy to have in the country. Not liars. We're already fully stocked with liars.

Serbs were headliners? They committed mass murders, genocides.

Of course there were violence on both sides, that is what war is. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about knowing Croatian and Serbian people? I have met plenty myself. I'm hardly suggesting that they are personally responsible? I was merely trying to point out how it makes sense sometimes that men and boys are the ones to leave the warzone.

This is just Conor McGregor fairy story stuff. The government bought these new laws in because groups representing migrants and refugees asked them to for over 10 years. The EU stuff is absolute nonsense.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah but this is the point - how narratives are presented and who they’re intended to appeal to. Like when the poster made the point about it being like Where’s Wally to try and spot a woman or child among the men on the boat in that particular photo, and bubblypop’s point was that just because they’re not in that particular photo, doesn’t mean there aren’t as many women and children immigrants as men (of fighting age, etc). In just the same way as the point is often made about the imminent threat to society posed by illegal immigrants.

When that’s not enough, tropes like suicide bombers are brought up (as though we should be suspicions of anyone in a burqa, etc), and every thread regarding mass killings in Europe and the US draws the same people salivating at the thoughts of using it as another opportunity to demonstrate how immigrants way of life is incompatible with our own culture and to portray immigrants as a threat to society.

Are the handful of people who commit these acts representative of the nearly one and a half million immigrants into Germany, as opposed of the handful of men who have sunk to prostituting themselves in order to survive? It depends upon the narrative one wants to portray to their intended audience. If 30% of your audience already perceive the country is being overrun with immigrants, your efforts to portray immigrants as a threat to society becomes a whole lot easier.

Merkel is in the same position as a lot of European leaders right now - their policies in encouraging using immigrants as a form of cheap labour are what led to their countries economic prosperity, and now those immigrants won’t just piss off after they’ve contributed to the countries economic prosperity, the people who have enjoyed the fruits of immigrants labour, are getting a bit tetchy because they perceive immigrants as wanting to share in their economic prosperity, and they’re not having it. It would be unfair, apparently - a consideration that didn’t seem to bother them when immigrants weren’t so visible in civilised society.

By referring to the one vote we got to cast in 25 years that sent a clear message, I know you’re not referring to the referendum on the 8th amendment where the tragic circumstances of the death of a conventionally attractive, wealthy, well-educated immigrant were used as though she was the poster woman for a campaign to repeal the 8th amendment. You’re referring of course to the vote in which there was a campaign to capitalise on the sentiment that immigrant women were getting pregnant to have their anchor babies in Ireland in order to stay here and avail of our generous welfare supports, at a time when Western economies had just come crashing back down to reality following the all fur coat and no knickers years.

Do I imagine that 25 years later, people who weren’t even born then will share the same sentiments towards immigrants as Irish society then when immigrants who didn’t look like them were something of a novelty in Irish society? It’s difficult to call it one way or the other tbh. No doubt the same tropes about anchor babies would be rolled out, but I reckon identity politics and virtue signalling on social media would be a greater factor in influencing the vote.

That narrative is unlikely to appeal to people who consider themselves among “the squeezed middle” demographic who imagine the Irish society they know is in decline. That same sentiment has been expressed by many people in this thread already and the same sentiments which made Thilo Sarrazin a household name in Germany in 2010. At the time he was a member of the SPD party, CDU’s main political opposition. It’s safe to say he was attempting to capitalise on Germany’s anti-immigration sentiment for his own personal and political gain (Peter Casey style) -

The extreme wariness of Muslims toward the census cannot be dissociated from the general context. The census was conducted in social waters recently roiled by the August 2010 publication of Thilo Sarrazin’s polemic essay, Deutschland schafft sich ab (Germany is doing itself in). Sarrazin, a member of the SPD, head of the Berlin Senate’s finance committee and later on the board of directors of the Bundesbank, sharply accused Muslim immigrants as a whole of not wishing to integrate, inordinately burdening social welfare system finances and “downgrading [Germany’s] human capital.”

It’s still the case today that in an attempt to unseat the absolute unit that is Angela Merkel, the opposition are attempting to appeal to the younger demographic by portraying a narrative promising cultural revolution -

The phrase “Vorsprung durch Technik” comes to mind. Ironically enough, it wasn’t a German who popularised that narrative of German engineering, but a Brit -

The same narrative portrayal of immigrants that swung a vote 25 years ago at a time when people were resentful of the handful of immigrants who they could point fingers at as being responsible for the ruination of the economy, is unlikely to be as influential in todays society where it’s considerably more difficult to portray immigrants as being a threat to society given that they’re more visible in Irish society and people’s perceptions and experiences vary considerably, making it difficult for people who wish to portray immigrants as a threat to society - a narrative which most people simply aren’t able to relate to. It’s a narrative which only appeals to a tiny minority in Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I wanna hear the lefties defend those trying to illegally enter the UK crossing the Channel.

If they were true refugees why aren't they happy in France?

It's hardly the whole thread. One or two posters who made those claims, and failed to back up their claims.

Just like your own accusations about my post, which you failed to back up. Not representative of the overall thread. There's a broad selection of posters and posting habits here.

The EU has placed quotas on Ireland and other countries accepting migrant groups and/or refugees. They've also had many meetings/conferences, that Irish politicians participated in, which covered the "migrant crisis", along with EU desires for integration. There's heaps of initiatives relating to non-EU migrants, planned and decided in Brussels which would have influenced Irish policy.

Ireland, as a member of the EU, is obliged to align with EU policy on migration. Yes, we have our own immigration policies and laws, but it's terribly naive to believe that the EU, as one of the biggest investors in Ireland, wouldn't be able to heavily influence where Irish politicians take us. It's the nature of politics after all. Just look at the reaction to Poland when they decided to become so strict on immigration... I wonder how much investment by the EU was lost by that decision.

None of that is to do with this law being introduced.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm wondering where all the houses O Gorman promised for those in DP are going to be found and I'll bet any money a lot of these 17000 "undocumented" as McEntee prefers to call them will be also adding themselves to the housing list once they avail of this amnesty.

The next few years are going to be interesting seeing how this all plays out.

Ya mean a bs law produce on a whim with no consultation on consequences whatsoever. Ya mean that one. I dont think people in this country signed up to be dictated to by a foreign entity on its own local policies. We voted in on cooperation for mutual benefit not utter long term burden.

Which seems it's all that come with participation of so called unified Europe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You’re referring of course to the vote in which there was a campaign to capitalise on the sentiment that immigrant women were getting pregnant to have their anchor babies in Ireland in order to stay here and avail of our generous welfare supports, at a time when Western economies had just come crashing back down to reality following the all fur coat and no knickers years.../...The same narrative portrayal of immigrants that swung a vote 25 years ago at a time when people were resentful of the handful of immigrants who they could point fingers at as being responsible for the ruination of the economy

Eh.... for all that well crafted spiel you're not exactly too strong on pretty basic facts are you? I hate to break it to you, but your premise falls on its arse for one simple reason: The 27th amendment vote was held in summer 2004, three years before bailing out bondholders was even dreamt of and Bertie Ahern was suggesting people moaning about the economy should commit suicide. Neither western economies nor Ireland's had come crashing down. We had one of the lowest unemployment rates since the foundation of the state and were still very much on the (paper) tiger's back buying up properties to beat the band on 100% mortgages while brickies were holidaying in Bali.

Why do you think we were such a sudden and popular destination for "refugees"? There were feck all here in the 70's and 80's. It started in the mid 90's when we were on the upswing. Funny that. And if there were ever a time for the Irish electorate to be cool and the gang with immigrants it was far more likely to be at the height of the celtic tiger. It's a very well known trend that when recessions hit racism goes up. In boom times the opposite trend is seen. Oh BTW the repeal of the 8th had a lower yes vote than the 27th and no way would we even dream of revisiting that and any politician who even mooted it would be rightfully taken to task. But if you're Labour, PBP and vested interest NGO's the 27th is apparently up for grabs.

And only the most naive would claim that pregnancy passports weren't in play before that loophole was closed. Hospital admins were seeing and reporting a remarkable number of non EU women showing up with waters breaking. Consider this: Nigerian migrants were the largest percentage of the African diaspora that came here pre the vote, after the vote and today over 90% of Nigerian applicants for asylum are rejected as bogus. Did something magically happen in the interim? Even wiki on the subject is pretty clear about the timeframe and reasons. The increase of Ireland's non-white population started with the Irish boom of 1997 to 2009 is due in part to the laws which had governed Irish citizenship since the creation of the Republic of Ireland in 1937. Though it wasn't just "non white" either. Belarus and Georgia and Ukraine were also in the mix with the same remarkable and timely fecundity. Last time I checked they were pale of face. One of the reasons for the 27th getting looked at in the first place was because of an East Asian woman's court case.

It’s still the case today that in an attempt to unseat the absolute unit that is Angela Merkel, the opposition are attempting to appeal to the younger demographic by portraying a narrative promising cultural revolution

Indeed: "conceived in part to help feed the economy's insatiable hunger for skilled labour". Germany's thing that is. Merkel was doing the same. This time there's more of a gloss on it. Bit of a tall order when skilled labour is required and you're dealing with unskilled migrants in many cases. Another twist on the "doctors and engineers" trope. Doctors and engineers have pretty much zero problems with migrating if they chose to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What are you on about. The EU is not dictating the law being discussed. You're making stuff up.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It relates to your belief that the EU doesn't matter in regards to Irish policy on immigration. Which, of course, it definitely does.

What is this law that is being introduced? The issue (previous discussion) with the 17k illegal immigrants isn't related to any kind of law being introduced, so I really don't have any idea what law you're referring to.

Sure we did. We knew that the EU would evolve and gain greater control over Europe. We didn't know it would manifest the way it has, but let's not play the innocent card here. We knew what we were getting ourselves into when we accepted all that lovely investment from Europe.... Seems like people are forgetting what things were like before the Celtic Tiger and the knowledge that we needed Europe to get out of the hole that past governments put us in.

The EU/Brussels is only part of the problem. Our own politicians have generally failed to put the interests of Irish people ahead of foreign groups. They've been only too happy to go to Brussels with their cap in hand, fawning over the bigger European nations (France/Germany in particular), and that has resulted in the extremely pro-multiculturalism stance that exists.

The EU needs to re-evaluate it's position on immigration (which is actually happening), but we bear some responsibility for not standing up before this. As usual, we waited for other nations to take that step before us.. and still we're hedging, waiting to see what will happen before committing ourselves. Nah.. Irish people are as much to blame for what's happened with the EU as any other group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

You're right. I got the number wrong.

There was an amnesty for over 17,000 (possibly 22,000 or 28,000) long-term (bogus) asylum claims.

It's hard to pin down the numbers on account of the slippery way Shatter phrases things:

"When the Government came into office 15 months ago on 9th March 2011, there was an enormous backlog of approximately 22,000 citizenship applications awaiting decision. Approximately 17,000 of these had been waiting in a barely moving queue for in excess of 6 months with an average waiting time in excess of two years. Some, indeed, had waited 3 to 4 years. I am proud that, since I came to Office, I have made decisions on nearly 28,000 applications for citizenship."

https://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/SP12000186

So the point remains, this isn't a once-in-a-lifetime event. It happened before.

Also, Charlie Flanagan stated that "20,000 minors have been granted Irish citizenship over the last five years."

https://www.bitchute.com/video/dH3YbwgaeCOP/

How many adults were granted citizenship then, if there were 20,000 minors? Let me guess, was it 17,000 again?

Notice how we never get clear numbers. We have to infer them from remarks that justice ministers let slip from time to time.

So that's 17,000 under Shatter, 17,000 (at a guess) under Flanagan, and another 17,000 under McEntee. That's 51,000 in less than ten years, that we know about.

Post edited by MontgomeryClift on

You do know that people applying for citizenship are not asylum seekers don't you?

They're not illegal immigrants either.

So absolutely not the same thing, not in the slightest.

Sure, maybe they're all legit applications that are just being hurried along. That's why they have to be given citizenship under a special "once-in-a-lifetime" scheme.

Either you are trying to suggest something that didn't at all happen, for some underhand reason or you honestly haven't a clue and need to go educate yourself 🙄

Maybe you can educate me then by telling me what proportion of those granted citizenship under this latest "scheme to regularise undocumented migrants" are illegal.

You have your head somewhere you shouldn't.

Noone is granting citizenship to undocumented migrants.

Seriously, if you don't understand something you really shouldn't embarrass yourself complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I'd disagree, most people didn't know the EU was headed for a federal superstate, even today a lot of people aren't aware of it. Its operated through integration by stealth , has suffered a series of humiliating defeats in referendums only for the countries to have to vote again or get outright ignored like I pointed out previously regarding the French and Dutch rejection of an EU constitution, only for them to turn back to integration by stealth and bring it back as the Lisbon treaty, which was made " unpenetrable" to the public as D'Estaing put it, even removing language referring to constitution,flags, anthems symbols to hide its political ambitions and cut off any calls for referendums on it.

• Advertisement

Right, I see you're toying with the notion that regularisation won't lead to citizenship. That's cute.

Advertisement