Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Oh lordy! You come on posting lies as facts, then turns out you don't understand the first thing about what you are complaining about. Embarrassing.

you do realise that nobody has to become a citizen? People can and do live here legally for years, never becoming Irish citizens. It's a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I dunno how you don’t remember what was referred to as the dot-com bubble? That’s the global crash I was referring to, not the property boom and crash that happened later.

We were a popular destination for economic migrants in the 90’s because we were still largely a manufacturing and agricultural economy, and still when the tech bubble burst, Ireland felt the brunt of it because we had American multinationals here providing mass employment and taking advantage of our low corporate tax rates. Never mind the brickies in Bali, before them there were the IT savvy sorts who would work on contract for six months, being paid more money than they knew what to do with, so for the other six months they went skiing and partied like it was indeed 1999, came back, worked for another six months, gone again. Travel was never my thing so I stayed where I was and didn’t work on contract - the money wasn’t as good in stable employment, but it was still more than I knew what to do with!

Nothing particularly magical happened after 2004 either. It was due to a number of factors that the statistical data changed -

In 1996, Ireland reached its migration "turning point," making it the last EU Member State to become a country of net immigration. The main reason: rapid economic growth created an unprecedented demand for labor across a wide range of sectors, including construction, financial, information technology, and health care. Unemployment declined from 15.9 percent in 1993 to a historic low of 3.6 percent in 2001.

In January 2005, the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform invited non-Irish national parents of Irish-born children who had had their claims suspended in 2003 to apply to remain under the Irish Born Child 2005 Scheme (IBC/05).

Under this scheme, the non-Irish parents of Irish-born children can be granted permission to remain in the country for two years after which they can apply for a renewal of permission. Applicants successful under the renewal process have had their leave to remain renewed for up to three years; at that point, those qualifying are eligible to apply for full citizenship.

Almost 18,000 applications were submitted under the scheme, and of these, almost 16,700 were approved. During 2007, the government made arrangements to process applications for renewal; 14,117 renewals had been granted by the end of 2008.

I think the idea of offering dual-citizenship after a period of time is intended to attract and maintain highly skilled workers, as opposed to addressing the legal status of low skilled workers. Sure, highly skilled immigrant workers rarely have any issues with getting into the country, but the problem is getting them to stay in the country. Ireland addressed this issue with a similar policy -

Analysis of labor force survey data from 2000 to 2005 by researchers Emma Quinn and Philip O'Connell suggests postenlargement policies have indeed resulted in non-EEA nationals more or less maintaining their representation among highly skilled workers, with EU-10 nationals filling skilled and low-skilled positions. In 2003, 3.5 percent of workers employed in semi- and unskilled occupations were EU nationals; by 2005, this proportion had increased to 6.3 percent.

In January 2007, Ireland instituted the Employment Permits Act 2006, a new employment permits system. This system was designed to further reduce the number of work permits issued while increasing Ireland's attractiveness to highly skilled non-EEA workers.

The three main elements to the scheme:

1. A type of green card (permanent residency) for a) any position with an annual salary of 60,000 euros or more in any sector, or b) a position in an occupation where skill shortages have been identified with an annual salary range from 30,000 to 59,999 euros.
    2. A work permit scheme for a very restricted list of occupations, with an annual salary up to 30,000 euros, where the shortage is one of labor rather than skills.
    3. An intracompany transfer scheme for temporary transnational management transfers.

It’s considerably more difficult to attract highly skilled workers from abroad in the first place, without offering them something to keep them in the country. It’s as much an issue with low skilled workers, but a functioning economy needs plenty of both, especially if they can’t be got among the national labour market.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

The day after this announcement I look to the Irish Times concerning 'undocumented migrants’. Page 2, two articles on the topic, first on how this announcement is welcomed - mainly an overview with comments from an NGO and campaign group.

The second article is from 3 undocumented people. 2 out of 3 (while the 3rd didn't specify) came originally as students (Botswana & Malawi) where the student school/college closed down (has this has any relevance). So, in this example the two beneficiaries are not refugees, not asylum seekers, but rather students who could afford to travel here for educational purposes, avail of our educational visa, outstay that visa and who will now be 'regularised'

When we look to this once in a generation amnesty ‘undocumented migrants’ is sure a catch all and not only a fast track for the hardest of cases.

Why would anyone think that asylum seekers are to be beneficiaries of this scheme?

I would have presumed the two people in the article are exactly the type, overstaying visas, that this scheme is targeting. Do you want people who cannot pay their way?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Most people don't care to understand what's been going on. Oh, they'll vote in an election, or a referendum, but once that vote is submitted, most people are content to wash their hands of the whole thing. You say that integration happened through stealth, and then point to all the failed referendums... yeah, no. The way the EU has been going has been well known since the change from the EEC to the EU in 93. We all heard what was going on... if you were interested in knowing what was going on.

However, most people were aware that they had no real control over what was happening, considering that all Irish parties were gung-ho to suck up to the EU. People bitch and moan about the EU now, but are very quick to forget that Irish government(s) were involved throughout the whole process.

There is a general apathy in Ireland about sticking it to our political parties... instead, most people will lean back and allow them to do whatever they want, with little in the way of opposition. The banking crash brought that home to me. I knew it was always there in our society, but that crash really made me understand the apathy and lack of interest most Irish people have in forcing our politicians to put us first.

I'm not terribly inclined to pass the buck to the EU for what has happened. We're responsible. I've started to feel some hope over the last couple of years that we might see some active interest in EU affairs, and also, a movement against our dipshit political parties, but there's still a long way to go.

Here's an example. I've spoken earlier in the thread about how much time I've spent in the south of France. It's always been an area that I've gone throughout my teens and adult life, building up friendships and the like. Want to know a major difference between there and here? They're involved, and interested in what's happening within the EU. They care to be informed about current and future policy changes... even to the point of organising protests and speeches against proposed EU legislation, and making their interests known to their politicians. I'm not going to say that they're any more successful than Irish people are with their politicians.. but they show a serious interest in the EU. Whereas in Ireland, I'd be hardpressed to find any common discussion among most people I know. Oh there's a few, but they follow particular movements or agendas focusing entirely on those issues (farming, fishing, etc) as opposed to the macro issues such as immigration and integration....

So... no... I don't buy into this rage over the EU.. I've spent the last decade mostly living outside of the EU, with regular visits home.. and honestly, with the exception of a few choice areas, the EU has been very good to Ireland. Perhaps you need to be reminded what this country was like in the late 80s...? And leaving the EU now, would put us back there into the 80s.

Have a problem with the EU? Stick it to our political parties because they're the ones' at fault.

• Advertisement

Who suggested it was a once in a generation amnesty, or that it was only intended as a fast track for the hardest of cases?

The details of the scheme are here, with more examples provided as to who may be eligible for the scheme and what the criteria are -

People who are eligible under the scheme will:

• have a period of 4 years residence in the State without an immigration permission, or 3 years in the case of those with children on the date the Scheme opens for applications
    • be granted an immigration permission that allows for unrestricted access to the labour market
    • have years of residence with that permission reckonable for the purposes of pursuing citizenship by way of naturalisation

Those with an existing Deportation Order can apply, if they meet the minimum undocumented residence requirement.

Not disagreeing. Just plucking out the important part to reduce the confusion.

They'll be given the same rights and benefits available to any legal migrant. I still think it's terribly shortsighted and open to abuse, but i think people are exaggerating what's going on.

Personally, my only real issue is with this:

• have years of residence with that permission reckonable for the purposes of pursuing citizenship by way of naturalisation

I don't think anyone here illegally should be rewarded with such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

right, Irish people did all sorts of things in the past....that has fućk all to do with the present.

I get what you mean, but I think it’s intended to address the exploitation of illegal immigrants in certain industry sectors. They’re unlikely to report their exploitation due to fear of deportation. I don’t know how much of an impact it will have, if any, on those particular cases. I’d imagine many of them will still prefer to remain under the radar than draw attention to themselves from the authorities so that they can maintain their income if nothing else.

It has though?

Ms McEntee's move could be seen as boosting Ireland's bid to seek relief for undocumented Irish in the United States under the Joe Biden presidency.

"I believe that in opening this scheme, we are demonstrating the same goodwill and generosity of spirit that we ask is shown to the countless Irish people who left this island to build their lives elsewhere.” 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40758132.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

At least the US have a choice, whereby we are governed by rules not of our making.

no problems with multiculturalism, it’s here... but if it further impinges on our way of life and wellbeing.. no

I dunno who you heard that from, but it’s not true -

https://ireland.representation.ec.europa.eu/news-and-events/news/ireland-voluntarily-agrees-take-part-eu-schemes-resettle-refugees-2021-02-28_en

For what it’s worth, i think anyone would have an issue when other people would try to interfere with their way of life. It’s generally people who claim that their behaviour towards others on my behalf is justifiable on the basis that anyone is interfering with “our” way of life, that I take issue with, particularly the people with no lawful authority to do so.

These are the best bits:

Those with an existing Deportation Order can apply

Having convictions for minor offences will not, of itself, result in disqualification.

That makes little sense since this initiative wouldn't apply to future migrants. It's just for these 17k illegals. In any case, anyone on a work visa faces the same risk, being forced to leave when the employer cancels their visa. Sure, there's a possibility of gaining other work, if your skills are in demand, but the chances are usually slim.

But I get what you're saying.

Ehm Helen McEntee used the term 'once in a generation' - it's even in the article you have linked to .....

"Parallel process to implement the recommendation included in the report of the expert advisory group, led by Dr Catherine Day, by allowing international protection applicants who have an outstanding application for international protection and have been in the asylum process for a minimum of two years to apply

There will be no requirement for applicants to demonstrate that they would not be a financial burden on the State,” the plan states.

Post edited by bifl on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah Jaysus OEJ, now it's the dot com bubble? You must be having a laugh if you think that rejig saves your argument based on your historical faux pas. 😂 Oh I'm sure it read right in your head in both cases, but this new update post further confirms the nonsense of your previous one. Unemployment declined from 15.9 percent in 1993 to a historic low of 3.6 percent in 2001. That's after this bubble burst and apparently caused this "ruination of the economy" in Ireland and led the Irish voter pointing the finger at migrants. Eh no. There was a slowdown beween 00 and 02 alright, but we were back up after that and still very much in the fur coat no knickers phase in 2004. The tiger property prices alone peaked three years after the 27th vote. Again to be clear the Irish electorate returned a majority vote(one of the highest of any referendum) against pregnancy passports when things "had never been better".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

While most other countries are working on securing their borders over here we're introducing policies which will make it easier to play the system.

If people think all they have to do is overstay for a few years until the next amnesty comes along Ireland will be the country they will all come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ireland is the country they will all come to. We'll be accepting refugees from war-torn France next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

In the UK plenty are coming from the Calais jungle so probably some spill over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

It's kinda like Ballymun, as other countries were finding out the problems with high rise living, the Irish government were ploughing ahead with their own social experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The French may be more politically inclined, but their leaders aren’t any more responsive to their concerns on policy, and in particular that related to the EU. They voted in the 2005 referendum against an EU constitutional project, and Sarkozy brought a revised project to the Lisbon treaty which the French parliament ratified against the people’s will in 2008. It was a perfect example of a too big to fail political agenda.

The French however, are ambivalent on Europe, and a majority believe the union has been beneficial to France. The Irish are probably of the same opinion.

I still think Ireland benefits from in migration, it’s up to the politicos to frame the requirements, and processes to Irish ctizenship in a way that satisfies the people of Ireland, with a nudge from said people, of course. It’s not all doom and gloom though, is it? Immigrants to Ireland haven’t gone all Gangs of New York yet, have they?

Immigration which involves people with the right skills and education to actively participate in our economy are a benefit. That's obvious enough. However, Ireland doesn't have any kind of substantial manufacturing or farming base, which is where the majority of unskilled labor ends up in. Even our hospitality sector is relatively small... oh it's experienced surges during the boom times, but invariably in normal periods, it shrinks considerably, even with government support.

Migration is generally a good thing when it follows the perspective of what is good for Ireland and Irish people. Not when it boils down to a focus on identity, or race. It's been covered numerous times on the thread, that even though the majority of our past immigration came from other predominately white nationalities, the government focus through advertising and general reports/statements, leans heavily towards those with darker skin tones. Which tend to come from regions where education is restricted or of low quality, resulting in migrants who need to be educated to upskill, but considering how ineffective re-education of migrants has been in Europe, it's doubtful that this government focus is particularly well thought out.

People like to ignore what's going on in the rest of the world. The M.East is pretty unstable right now, and there's no real indication that instability won't spread to other countries in the region. Russia is geared up to retake many of the former soviet territories, which will generate more refugees. Africa is suffering under the effects of climate change, continued social instability, and fragile economies.. all the while their population growth is set to explode in the near future. S.America is in the same situation, and China is set to implode economically, which will likely result in far more migration of it's peoples, should the CCP continue it's policy to allowing Chinese people passports.

When it comes to migration, we need to be careful and not rely too much on past immigration models. Yes, we're likely going to have continued immigration from other European nations, or Eastern Europe/Russia... but we're also likely to see a major jump in immigration from all around the world, most of whom will want entry to Germany, and Ireland remains one of the best ways to get a EU citizenship, or work visa.

I'm generally pro-immigration. I'm an expat, I love living/working abroad, and I like that other people can do the same in Ireland. It's a great change from the Ireland I grew up in, and I really do like most of the changes that have happened since due to exposure to foreign groups/ideas. However, I am anti-multiculturalism, in it's current form. I find it to be badly thought out, with little respect for the native/host population, and with little consideration for the negatives costs involved... for example, the creation of an underclass, a new poor within Irish society due to the foreigners who arrive without skills/education, or even the language skills to be successful here.

The French may be more politically inclined, but their leaders aren’t any more responsive to their concerns on policy

I didn't say they were. I pointed out a difference between the Irish and the French when it comes to activity within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, I agree with you on most points. That is why I mention focussing on a good framework for acquired citizenship, which is progressive time wise, since cultural perceptions are bound to change. But Irish people have the definite right to demand more requisites to immigration, and policies as regards assimilation.

It wasn’t anything like that Wibbs, I didn’t even think of the property boom which was in the 2000’s because I was thinking back 25 years ago and I thought that’s what you were referring to -

Just like the Irish electorate regarding our massive change in Irish demographics over the last 25 years. Well, there was that one vote we got to cast and it sent a pretty clear message.

In the period leading up to the vote, and one of the reasons why people voted the way they did, were stories like this -

I remember people losing their jobs after the tech bubble burst, and I remembered eircom shares farce because I remember at the time people thinking they had loads of money and they wanted to become stock market speculators -

I remember Gateway in Dublin closing with the loss of 900 jobs was on the news in 2001 -

That’s why I thought you were referring to the period before the vote, and what led up to it. We had full employment and at the same time we had people who had lost their shirts and were of the opinion that immigrants were taking all their jobs, and coming off the boat and going straight to the maternity ward. None of that sentiment was a feature of the property boom that happened AFTER the vote about immigrants status.

Ireland experienced a period of more significant growth in employment in ALL sectors in the late 90’s and immigrants were doing all the low-paid, low-skilled jobs, while the Irish were thinking they were minted with the new found prosperity the country was experiencing, BEFORE everything came crashing back down to reality. It was true then too that racism, or rather what I’d call resentment of immigrants, went through the roof when people were looking to point fingers at someone to blame for the ruination of the economy as they saw it - they didn’t see “Ireland has full employment”, they saw “Immigrants taking all the jobs and the women and they’re coming in droves and having anchor babies to stay in the country, it has to stop!” and Irish people did stop it, when they sent a clear message to Government that they didn’t want immigrants in Ireland.

By the time the property boom happened, everyone had forgotten what had happened before because they were newly minted again, I can remember people on minimum wage getting 100% mortgages gleefully declaring that they had bought an apartment for €250k, while Ireland had declared that we were devaluing the Irish pound again to join the Euro currency at the same rate as the bigger countries. That was the beginning of what led up to the property boom and bust in the 2000’s, and immigrants were being blamed again, the same as they’re being blamed now when people are feeling the pinch. If everyone were feeling newly minted again, nobody would give a shìte about immigration.

EDIT: I forgot - more people were able to afford to send their children to college too, that was a popular status indicator too, and one of the reasons why, on paper at least, or in terms of statistics - Ireland looked like it had “full employment”.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Migration is generally a good thing when it follows the perspective of what is good for Ireland and Irish people. Not when it boils down to a focus on identity, or race.

But isn’t that boiling it down to identity, or race? Migration is good when it’s good for an economy, regardless of identity or race or host nations or any of the rest of it.

Immigration is needed when people with the right skills and education can’t be got, when there is a labour shortage in certain sectors which are needed to grow an economy. Ireland has moved from an agricultural and manufacturing economy to a services and knowledge economy.

Rather than focusing on educating adults, the Government places more emphasis on educating their children, precisely because they’re not ignoring what’s going on in the world - they’re preparing for the future. The whole point is to avoid the creation of an underclass based upon ethnic division in the future - there will no doubt always BE an underclass, but it doesn’t matter what colour their skin is or any of the rest of it, because that would be focusing on identity, or race.

You’re still thinking according to the old model of immigration with regard to immigrants coming into a country and essentially being ignored and left to fend for themselves, which is why enclaves developed in other European cities (and they’re fairly well developed in Irish cities too).

Sure, one of the negatives of having to provide support for immigrants is the cost, but the long-term benefits to the economy as a whole, do tend to outweigh the initial cost of support.

But isn’t that boiling it down to identity, or race? Migration is good when it’s good for an economy, regardless of identity or race or host nations or any of the rest of it.

No, it's boiling it down to those with the skills/education required to be self-sustainable in Ireland. There are plenty of possible migrants who want to come to Ireland who are educated, and who also come from 3rd world nations. The problem is when the focus is on their race as opposed to what manner of life (without supports) they can have here when they arrive.

When you encourage low skilled workers, who are reliant on temporary work, you create a drain on that nations resources, because the very nature of low skilled work in an economy such as Ireland, means that the wages earned will be low, work security will be next to non-existent, etc. I understand the reference to focusing on the children to become productive, but there's no guarantee that they will, or that they will remain in Ireland on reaching their majority, besides the fact that it's a rather long investment with questionable returns. It would make more sense to start with people who can provide for themselves adequately, and also benefit from their children at a later stage.

If the parents become an underclass due to their lack of education or skills, in many cases, that's likely to extend to their children. That's been the problem with the welfare state system for decades... and while we have to deal with our own population, I don't see the logic in increasing that burden by bringing in foreign groups which align to the same problems. Problems that we still haven't found an effective solution to. It's one of the reasons the UK has so many problems with different ethnic groups being among the lowest income groups.

You’re still thinking according to the old model of immigration with regard to immigrants coming into a country and essentially being ignored and left to fend for themselves, which is why enclaves developed in other European cities (and they’re fairly well developed in Irish cities too).

That's the old model? What's the new model? not the theoretical one, mind.. but the one that works?

Enclaves will occur naturally as populations increase in size. That's going to happen regardless of education, skills, income, etc. People living abroad will gravitate towards others of their culture or race.. especially when they're a distinct minority. However as those populations increase, the enclaves will also grow in size because they provide a range of security, and opportunities that can't be found elsewhere. The only way to prevent enclaves from happening would be to ensure that foreign groups are spread out, either through policy, or through the availability of work/housing/etc.

Sure, one of the negatives of having to provide support for immigrants is the cost, but the long-term benefits to the economy as a whole, do tend to outweigh the initial cost of support.

Does it? I haven't seen any research proving that. If anything the costs shown in the UK and Germany suggest the opposite. How do we consider the long-term benefits as cancelling out the costs accrued? I suspect that those costs aren't being tallied up when people talk about the supposed benefits. And let's keep it clear here... we're not talking about migrants with decent education/skills before they arrived, but those without those advantages... so do you have any research showing the benefit of them? (I suspect there's no such research to be had, and this is just an assumption... no different than my assumption of the opposite).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You're right. I apologise. I made a bit of a mistake misquoting you above suggesting that the scheme will include new migrants who have arrived since the pandemic. You mentioned them but didnt quite say they would be included in the scheme. You're also right I made a mistake in referring to the new scheme announced by Minister McEntee as a law when it's not. However you plucked my so called "belief" the EU doesnt matter in regards to immigration policy out of nowhere. I have said all along the regularisation scheme was not introduced because the EU asked for it, demanded it or dictated it. Thats all. There are arguments in this thread that the EU demanded/dictated/asked for this scheme are nonsense. The EU agreed a regularisation scheme should be done on a case by case basis only for humanitarian or economic reasons and that illegal immigration should be controlled.

This is some clear disinformation in this thread though particularly in relation to the EU and previous justice ministers.

This claim

We also had a previous "once in a lifetime" citizenship scheme in our lifetimes when Alan Shatter took the unprecedented step of naturalising 80,000 illegals in 2012.

Which became this

There was an amnesty for over 17,000 (possibly 22,000 or 28,000) long-term (bogus) asylum claims.

Is pure nonsense and not factual in any way.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ahh well, I think we should be putting a greater value on citizenship, and not making it easier for people to obtain. If anything, we should be keeping citizenship reserved for those who meet the highest standards. Instead, emphasize the range of limited stay or renewable visas that migrants can avail of.

As for assimilation, that's gone. It's not on the books anymore, and has acquired something of a bad connotation. Just like nationalism has. Integration is the primary objective, although it's such a vague term, and I've never really encountered anyone who could pin down what it meant (or how it was achieved). In any case, there's no real expectation of foreigners to merge with Irish society... diversity is our strength, apparently.

• Advertisement

You're right. I apologise. I made a bit of a mistake misquoting you above suggesting that the scheme will include new migrants who have arrived since the pandemic. You mentioned them but didnt quite say they would be included in the scheme

I didn't mention them. There's no reference to new migrants anywhere in the post you quoted.

However you plucked my so called "belief" the EU doesnt matter in regards to immigration policy out of nowhere.

Not one person dragging the EU into this discussion has a valid point to make.

And no, "my so called "belief" the EU doesnt matter in regards to immigration policy out of nowhere." is a completely different take on what was previously stated by both you, and me. You're altering the narrative, after the fact.

I have said all along the regularisation scheme was not introduced because the EU asked for it, demanded it or dictated it. Thats all. There are arguments in this thread that the EU demanded/dictated/asked for this scheme are nonsense. The EU suggested it should be done only for humanitarian or economic reasons and that illegal immigration should be controlled.

And as I said, when Brussels, as one of our largest investors, makes a suggestion... you can be sure that Irish politicians are going to take it to heart. How often have our governments refused or publicly criticised EU policy? Not often.. in fact, I'd suggest that it's probably extremely rare. But yes, there weren't any direct orders/mandates from the EU to Ireland to accept these illegals... but then, they don't really have to do that considering how virtuous our governments have been in the past.

Advertisement