Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭jaymla627

When the imf weren't able to get our esteemed leaders to untangle that mess, and implement what was needed at the time to cut out the deadwood its never going to happen, the implosion that would be required in the public finances before the government would even consider trying to get higher hse management and pen pushers of the states teat, would take a scenario of a total collapse of the hse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you can’t explain to a 9yo the idea of wearing a mask to stop spreading a virus that might kill someone like one of their grandparents then you have a serious parenting problem going on.

people are projecting their own lack of effort around mask wearing onto kids just to make a point as of a 9yo wearing a mask is somehow being seriously put out, load of auld twaddle.

Its more f**King twisted to instil into a child that he'll kill his grandparent if he doesn't wear a mask, your some boy in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

9 year old here wearing a mask this week… do they like it - probably not. Do they do it - yea.

we didn’t sell it as if they dont, they’re killing some old person. It’s about everyone trying to do their best, we explained this to them and they said ok.

I know you’re against what the gov is proposing, but you’re down a mad path with posts lately. Saying everyone over 75 should be thrown under the bus or the post above… :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I don't think the public's actions have had any effect whatsoever the death numbers. The vaccine is helping.

31,765 = That's how many died in 2020 in Ireland

31,134 = That's how many died in 2019 in Ireland

31,140 = That's how many died in 2018 in Ireland

30,418 = That's how many died in 2017 in Ireland

Ireland has not seen an increase in deaths to correlate with the official Covid deaths

I think some people just like to think the enormous Covid debt that our kids and grandkids will be saddled with, will have been for a purpose.

Sunk cost fallacy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The view from the UK:

Fundamentally though, for me, it comes down to this. I can’t think of a single case offhand of a person who was previously fit and healthy who has ended up needing intensive care after being fully vaccinated. It may not stop you from catching Covid. But it can save your life when you do.

The writer is an NHS respiratory consultant who works across a number of hospitals.

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/21/icu-is-full-of-the-unvaccinated-my-patience-with-them-is-wearing-thin?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16386711844586&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2F2021%2Fnov%2F21%2Ficu-is-full-of-the-unvaccinated-my-patience-with-them-is-wearing-thin

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

At this stage the whingeing about the governments action is more sickening than the Covid.

Definitely the snowflake generation that we have aren't up to any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I am vaccinated .

Fundamentally though, for me, it comes down to this. I can’t think of a single case offhand of a person who was previously fit and healthy who has ended up needing intensive care (or even hospitalisation )after contracting covid .

But its the civil service squandering money to protect a privileged sector of society who, in the main ,have a guaranteed income (pension )with no work responsibility .

Who wouldn't complain about the public sector spending our (and future generations ) tax money foolishly ?

Remember in 2020 it was hse policy to not treat over 75's in the main for covid in icu/hospital, the main care given was to let them die in nursing homes, that illustrates the sheer lack of capability in our healthcare system at the minute, it's not that over 75's should be thrown under the bus,our healthcare system simple hasn't the capacity to deal with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The " snowflakes " are surely the ones so terrified, they insist on masking five year olds ?

I said might.

kids are intelligent and adaptable, more so than many adults.

Even with the restrictions they have a better lifestyle thn their age group fifty years ago

It's up to everyone how to handle this themselves but it's the incessant whingeing that's sickening.

Sunday Indo claimed this morning that there was a level of defiance in the antivaxxers which i have noticed too which solves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The incessant whinging leaving some of the hard core anti vaxers aside stems from people just been fed up of the constant chopping ,changing mixed messages ,dithering from govt and nephet ….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Nonsense. You would have had a much better youth than they are facing into today.

No major upheavels on your social life and real opportunities to work for.

There might be more money floating around today but it doesn't bring happiness and it most definitely does not lead to our inbuilt desire for social contact being met.

Anyone under 40 will be facing into tough times where they will be less well off than their parents. Opportunities will be much more limited, including emigration. All the while being saddled with the enormous burden of paying for the excesses of spending and economic destruction of covid.

All to protect snowflakes like yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Spoke with a neighbour last monday she was tidying up her garden went to play her golf on Tuesday her sister called from Tipperary tuesday evening the woman that called had a cough it was covid spread it to her sister presently we are digging her grave for her funeral monday in her late sixties. Ignorance denial is a big problem in this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

Mahoney_j I have seen you post this before about alleged chopping and changing and mixed messages. With a very long time now the message has been to minimise your interactions with others as much as possible, wear a mask when in public and where there is a risk of contracting the virus and wash your hands.

As the case numbers go up and down, the rate at which you will hear the above advice goes up and down too.

Any other changes that are made are as a consequence of where we are with the case numbers at a point in time and therefore could easily be predicted well in advance.

The faux outrage then when other measures are introduced is getting too predictable at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

So ,just to get this correct;

The lady in question presumably caught the covid on Tuesday evening from her sister and died Friday/Saturday if being buried on Monday .

You should really contact the Dept. of Health as something that lethal within 4 days or less is the sort of covid that had people collapsing on the street in China early 2020 according to social media .Could be a whole new strain .

• Advertisement

It usually takes 10 -14 days from contact to even get it, first opinions from BBC is Omicron has a shorter period from infection and infectioness than Delta but I doubt if it's that quick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If u were the owner of a pub /restaurant /hotel hairdresser /Gym etc or a worker in that sector you’d have a different opinion …..throw in nephet going on solo runs ….likes of Donnelly and Leo giving info and then backtracking …remember 2 weeks to flatten the curve …vaccination of the elderly and then gen population been our way out …..schools are safe and Covid dosnt affect under 12s and on and on and on

talking to my brother in Melbourne earlier ….Covid out there is in the back round out there when it comes to media and what people fill there day ….here wherever u turn its in your face govt ,nephet thru there actions have fed this and the disillusionment .I and majority of country have done everything we’ve been asked to curtail this and yet normality or anything close to it is further away than it was last January

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Just picking this post as an example.

I don't doubt for a second that what you post isn't the case.

A person's opinion is informed by their experience. In this case, the circle of people you move in.

Years ago, I didn't care about the stage of the education system or the health system when elections came around. Then my lads went through the education system and, now, my parents and soon myself will be affected by health care....

Personally, I know of people who died or nearly died of Covid.

What I found very interesting about that article was how similar the experience in the UK was to our statistics here (50% of beds taken by 5% of the population, etc.) and that was from the point of view of someone at the coal face.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Something doesnt fully add up though. The uks not fully vaxxed population is twice the size per capita as here.

If it was as simple as get everyone done surely it should be higher at maybe 80% unvaxxed in icu.

There must be a few very small minorities who have very high risk factors (whether known or unknown) while vaccinating the more average person has little effect on the end icu figure.

It doesn't make much sense otherwise unless there are factors such as people in icu for an extended period of time who predated vaccine, fiddling dates of the period discussed (hse did like to talk about icu admissions in the under 50s since june, when the majority would not have been eligible for a large part of the period) to suit the headline figure, or maybe unvaxxed patients undergo a more rigourous testing procedure for covid...

Who knows...

Is all that just a nice way of saying "shur you are only a young lad who knows nothing " ?

Thanks all the same but not exactly true unfortunately .

Our society is gone to fcuk if people are happier to risk killing an 85yo rather than ask their 9yo wear a simple harmless mask.

what if the 85yo only has a year to live, what if they had 5 or 10 years to live. Denying them that chance so your kid isn’t asked to wear a mask or that you can slobber with your mates without restrictions is so selfish it’s disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is this there no end to this type of hysterical scaremongering slobbering, all the nine year olds in the country wearing masks 24/7 isn’t going to make a damn bit of difference to whether any 85 year lives or dies. The disgusting selfish people are the ones who think they have the right to take away the health, freedoms, civil liberties and livelihoods of others for no good reason.

The “no good reason” is to minimise spread of a virus that is circulating at present. It’s effect on old and vulnerable people is well known.

nobody is saying a 9yo has to wear a mask 24/7, that’s just auld pub talk from idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

More bullcrap, this virus is going to be around forever just like colds and flu, lockdowns and restrictions are a waste of time. Old and and vulnerable people are all vaccinated now, enough is enough, it time to move on. You accusing anyone of being an idiot is bloody hilarious.

• Advertisement

the likelihood is in time mutations will become more benign, it’s interesting to see however in the meantime how many in society just care about themselves rather than the wider community particularly the elderly and vulnerable who need our effort to protect them.

Advertisement