Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I work from home and live in a rural area so my level of contacts is fairly low and I've always considered myself at a low risk of ever picking up this virus since I haven't really picked up any virus, flu or sickness since graduating from college. I would never normally get flu jabs for that reason but regardless I got the first two vaccine jabs last summer when they were available to me since we were told not doing so could pose a risk to older, more vulnerable people and with my parents in mind I thought it best to get them.

The side effects from the jabs were uncomfortable to say the least. I got some tightness in my chest and faster heart rate for the afternoon after getting both, pretty anxiety inducing when you're not sure what's going to happen and the general sensation of something strange happening to your body. 2 Weeks later after the first jab I got some sudden muscle pain for no reason which had me out of action for a couple of days, no idea if it was caused by the vaccine but can't imagine what else could have caused it. The sore arm and tiredness was there as well like with everyone but those weren't a problem.

I thought I was done after all that at least but we've seen a gradual creep in the messaging since from "two and it's over" to "it's a 3 dose" to "it's probably an additional jab every few months for who knows how long". At what point does the risk/reward proposition of these vaccines stop making sense for a healthy young adult?

Should I just continue signing up for endless boosters and hope for the best on side effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if you are under fifty and healthy , why bother ?

risk of dieing from it miniscule , its impossible to completely fend of the possibility of death but you have to understand the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

does the vaccine reduce transmission?

If yes we should all get it.

If no, what’s the point in healthy people with a low risk of getting sick, receiving the vaccine.

This is the single most important question in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

What did you get for the first 2 jabs? I had AZ and have a Pfizer booster on Monday, just dreading what the day after is going to be like 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No , the vaccine does not render someone any less contagious , its original sales pitch was that you are less likely to end up needing hospital care and as our hospitals are always a basket case , that was seen as enough reason , if thats still someones arguement , they are effectively bailing out government incompetence

No thanks , Il take my chances without a vaccine just as i do without the regular flue vaccine

• Advertisement

There were plenty of scientific papers going around saying transmission was cut by the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Yep, AZ as well. I wasn't lying in bed delirious or anything like that, just quite uncomfortable, and as I type, the only remaining symptom is tenderness at the injection site.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My GP is five minutes away... so from leaving my front door to arriving home, waiting before and after, having to put up with a minor scratch of pain for about 7 seconds to avail of further protection...will in total be around 25-30 minutes of my time....booster please.

There is a reason a virus with an R0 of 5 to 6 has had a maximum growth rate of 1.3 since summer and is now down to 1. The absence of a vaccine would have seen us locked down in September.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Got Covid. Bad news! Was hospitalized. Ventilator. I'm young, but had severe effects. Now have long term effects. Troublesome in daily life. Primary care physician told me to get vaccinated after leaving hospital. Even though I had survived Covid. Got vaccinated. Physician now recommends booster. Will do when available. Don't want to take the slightest chance of getting infected again. It was horrific to catch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I won't be taking the booster (nor shall I take either of the initial injections).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

No surprise there but as you live if the UK it won't make much difference down here to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

But it is working.. Numbers contracting Covid were higher than last year but hospitalisations and deaths were down relative to the numbers. That's not a co-incidence.

Unfortunately it's not working for as long as we'd like but I'm sure that is something that will be developed over time. Hopefully not too much time.

My wife has had her booster and I'll be taking it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

That's partly true but partly untrue. This came up at the time that one of our TDs' (can't remember who...) said pretty much the same thing in the Dail.

Turns out that you are contagious but for a much shorter length of time. (A number of fact checkers followed up on this so the results are all online somewhere)

Vaccinated can be contagious for a day /day and a half whilst unvaccinated are closer to five days or so AFAIR. Basically means that the unvaccinated are more likely to meet more people whilst they're contagious against the vaccinated who will, in most cases, meet far fewer people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Is it a county where the Irish Government make the rules?

Depends whether you mean the true Government of the Irish Republic or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's a fairly simplistic representation of people who are unvaccinated. Why do you imagine such people automatically will meet others? Your likelihood of meeting more people is down to your own lifestyle and circumstances.

Vaccines are now running into a more challenging environment. They were originally hailed as the solution to our problems but this crop may now need to be boosted very regularly. It's not that people are against boosters per se , but there are questions over how useful they may be in healthy under 50s, even healthy under 60s. HPSC data is showing reduced infections in the much older groups and it is now moving down to the over 65s. These are the groups most at risk and as that risk falls so too should hospitalizations, thus easing the pressure on the health system.

Outside of such groups there is the ongoing drive to try and persuade some of the unvaccinated to take a jab and that is probably most useful to all of us. Whether boosters are really useful in the whole population remains to be seen and people are entitled to question that without generating the type of opprobrium the unvaccinated automatically get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,983 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Got mine yesterday at my GP surgery, I'm 54, immune compromised, it was Pfizer. Very busy at the surgery for Boosters (Quite Rural)

Have to say was a little surprised on talking to others there, alot of people asking the same question, "why am I bothering", I just hope hesitancy not setting in, I'm sensing people getting fed up.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Surely if the booster makes you less likely to pass it on over a period of time compared to non boosted that’s a benefit to society?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only if you assume that type of thinking is why people got vaccinated or will take a booster. The booster aim is to help protect those who might be at risk, better. Once they are done that is far less of a problem to the health system. There are questions whether it should apply to large swathes of the people who are at little to no risk.

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't understand the logic of "two doses wasn't enough so I'm not getting a third".

It's like being in a restaurant and saying "I'm still hungry after my starter and main course, no way I'm having dessert".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭storker

I think it's becoming clear that a lot of people couldn't give a toss about the benefit to society part and were just getting vaccinated in the hope that the clock could be wound back to January 2020. Thankfully their numbers on the ground don't match the loudness of their voices on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd consider it more like being in a restaurant and going starter and main course were crap, no way I'm coming back to this restaurant again. Dessert might be fine, but would you go back to the restaurant over and over.

I’m definitely taking it. I don’t see the point in not doing so. I was a bit tired after it last time but nothing dramatic.

I’d rather maximise the protection.

My only concern is that I can’t do the queuing. I have a back problem that means standing for a long time can be excruciating. So if there’s an hour long queue, I will be unable to wait.

I haven’t been able to go abroad for the same reason. I can’t handle the queuing in airports which can be really extreme these days.

Unless I can get a specific appointment, there’s no way I can get it as realistically speaking, I can’t physically do it and I don’t really qualify as needing assistance or being disabled or anything like that, so I’ll just wait until there are proper appointments. I’m not in this cohort anyway, so it will probably be January or February, but I just hope they have this sorted out by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Because it's the only place to eat, except out of the infected dumpster on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm expecting a call sometime this month.

I'm not afraid of a little needle and a drop of liquid so I don't have to make excuses to cover cowardice.

It's the patriotic thing 😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

The restaurant analogy is a very wide of the mark. It’s a new virus and a biological system interacting. There was never any promise made by any of the vaccine manufacturers that it would give permanent immunity or that another booster would not be needed.

I was fully aware of and expecting the possibility that there may need to be boosters, in fact I was expecting there to be a possibility of an updated mRNA booster at some stage with new viral “code” to cover any radical new variants.

If you were following the vaccine development, it is very clear this was always a very likely scenario. It’s still absolutely amazing that multiple vaccines were developed at all and rolled out this quickly and to so many people. We have completely lost all perspective on that. Or at least some of us have.

There’s this “toys thrown out of pram” narrative developing where it’s like “wahhh wahhh … it didn’t work on a single vaccination / two course initial vaccination! How dare they! Waaah wahhh! Someone call the manager !!”

It’s like loads of people online are falling for anti-vax propaganda and indulging their inner “Karen”.

Advertisement