Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - April 18th 2022

Options
  • 02-12-2021 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Are any boardsies running the 2022 Boston marathon?

I always dreamed of running Boston some day, but thought I was too far off the qualifying standard.

However, I entered a new age category this year and ran a good (for me) time in London, and so made the cutoff time.

Waiting on the official acceptance to come out, but it looks like I'm in.

Whether we'll be allowed to enter the US next April of course, is another matter....

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Usually do London in April but as it's moved to October again put my name in for Boston. No confirmation email yet but I did see today the money was taken from my credit card so I assume my entry was validated and accepted.

Something to train for post Christmas - hopefully they won't shut down travel again next year and will be able to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I’m in! I got my confirmation email today. First time doing Boston, so looking forward to months of winters hilly training to be utterly ruined by appalling weather conditions, if the race reports on here are anything to go by :)

What days are folks travelling? I'm going Saturday - Tuesday, I assume that's enough time to get to the expo etc.

Any ideas on training plans? Following a regular one or doing some Boston specific stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I'm in officially also!

Flying Saturday-Tuesday. Hopefully make the expo Saturday evening and rest the legs mostly on Sunday.

The elevation/effort profile of Boston does indeed look different to the Marathons I've done before (Dublin, Limerick, London)

I suspect building in some extra hill work would be beneficial.

Maybe some of the more experienced runners on here can weigh in?

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Also planning Saturday to Tuesday. Expo on the Sunday. Heard it is a tough enough course even though negative downhill. Probably try and be conservative in first half as miles 17-21 are the toughest. Maybe some marathon pace miles in training on a downhill route would be good as well as some hill work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I'm in. Will possibly/probably be the only time I will qualify so it's turned into a whole family trip now taking in New York for a few days before. I'll need to be disciplined and take it easy enough in NY. Arriving in Boston on Friday to Tuesday. Can't wait!

I was looking at the BAA training plans, level 3. They look interesting, a good bit of hill sessions, but not sure if there are too many sessions for me some weeks. For example, week 12 below:

I was looking at the BAA plans also - they look pretty tough.

There seems to be an emphasis on hill training - so I'm building a bit more hill work into my plan.

Well done on qualifying. Hopefully we will be allowed into the US when April comes around.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tommysul

I'm in too, after a couple of failed attempts! Delighted.

What's it like as a family trip? Anytime I've travelled abroad for a marathon I've done it monk-style, but I've asked herself to come with me this time. What's Boston like for a visit, when possibly hobbling around it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I've never ran in Boston, but as a travel destination I've been a good few times.

In terms of getting around it's very easy. Its a city that's perfect for walking. Good sea food also as you'd expect for coastal city. Plenty of sights to see as it's full of history.

Monk-style for me I think unfortunately.

I'd love to take the family, Boston is a great town in general, but 2 things are putting me off for this one.

One is the uncertainty around COVID, with flights to Boston and home again. Wouldn't want the kids to miss school because of it etc. Who knows what the situation in April will be around restrictions here/there.

The other is the weather in April. If there's weather like in 2018, I'd hate to see the kids shivering at the side of the road out supporting me.

I've promised to pick a warmer marathon in more stable times to bring the family.

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I ran it in 2019. The atmosphere is amazing. I just loved the way the whole city embraced marathon weekend. The expo is really easy to get to, its on Boylston street, just down from the finish line where everybody goes before the event to take photos etc. The weather in Boston can be really unpredictable. In 2019 when I was leaving my hotel there were massive thunderstorms and everybody was soaked just getting to the buses to drop the finish bag (there is no bag drop in Hopkinton). I brought my race gear in the small plastic bag you are allowed and changed in the tents at the start, tip here.........if it is wet, bring talcum powder, trying to get dry socks onto wet clammy feet is not easy and you will feel much better with dry socks and shoes. Brong old shoes and discard in Hopkinton. The first 5 miles are a net downhill but dont be fooled, the road out of Hopkinton is like a roller coaster so try not to get caught up in the hype at the start. Anyway, back to the weather......by start time the rain had stopped, sun came out and I knew we were in trouble when I saw the steam rising from the roads. Having trained all winter in a cold North Westerly wind I was in no way prepared for the humidity and heat......it was 100% and 23 degrees at the start, running in a sauna would have been easier. The miles from 13 to 17 are mostly downhill and your quads will take a pounding and then just at the right turn at the Newton fire station the road goes up. Anybody living in Dublin might understand if I said that its like running up Mount Merrion Avenue 3 times with a downhill between each one. If you havnt kept yourself in check before this you will suffer.........like I did when the contents of my breakfast made a reappearance at 16 miles, loads of people were throwing up around this distance, I blamed the humidity but if I was being truthful I went a bit too hard early on trying to bank some time for the hills. If you survive all that then you will have fantastic support through Brookline and along by Fenway and remember the famous saying.....right on Hereford, left on Boylston and then its 580 metres of a celebration run to the finish line. Its a wonderful experience, enjoy.

Sounds awesome - can't wait. Some very good tips there. Any others on here going?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dejanp

One more here! I'm still working on sorting flights and accommodation. But plan is Friday-Tuesday.

What flight options and accommodation did you folks book?

In one month's time presumably most of us will be nursing a hangover somewhere on the east coast of the USA. How are things going? My own training is hopefully enough to get me over the line in one piece which is good enough for now.

Training has gone pretty well for me. Had a little calf injury in January which set me back a couple of weeks, but the last 7-8 weeks has been great. Just one more big session, meno's sting, on Wednesday.

I am starting to panic about the pre-departure Covid test though as I'm taking the whole family and we have a family wedding 3 days before flying 😷. But yes, I am planning to wake up on the 19th with a Samuel Adams hangover!

Nice one. Planning to go the afterparty? I kinda assume it'd be a bit lame though I guess might be nice to go to the stadium.

I'm going to give it a miss. Prefer to find a nice restaurant/bar and relax with a steak and a few beers.

Yes, training going well here also. Starting to back off the mileage, but keeping the intensity up for the most part.

Trying to avoid COVID. Really don't want to fall at the final hurdle and not pass the antigen test before I travel.

Getting real now. 2 weeks, 6 days...

MtM

Waves and corrals have been published: https://registration.baa.org/2022/cf/Public/iframe_EntryLists.cfm?mode=results

I'll be running at least a minute per mile slower than the qualifying pace for my corral, so I might drop back.

Feel free to drop back to wave 2 corral 7 if you want to do some pacing 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Tommysul

Starting to get excited now, less than two weeks to go. I'm always cautious looking forward to a marathon in case the training goes sideways, but so far so good. Hopefully the training will prove to be good enough!

The corrals list is cool, nearly 200 people listed "Ireland" as their country, so there'll be a good sprinkling through the field

And the first name on the Irish list is Samuel Adams!

Yes - getting close now. Trying to avoid COVID!

Did everyone get their Digital Number Pick-Up Pass email today?

Yep, I excitedly showed it to my wife who didn't seem to have the same excitement ("you're showing me a QR code?")

ESTA renewed, last training session at the club done, COVID test booked, travel insurance sorted... the next time I'm travelling for a race it's gonna be in Europe :)

Got my pass this morning, very exciting. Trying to avoid everyone until the Covid test.

7:30 bus time for me for a 10:25 start time.

How's everybody's weather checking / niggle worrying / COVID test anticipating going?

The wind was looking like it was going to be a tailwind... but has possibly turned into a headwind depending on what site you're looking at, also it's gonna be pretty windy either way.

https://findmymarathon.com/bostonmarathon-weather.php is a good one to refresh every few hours.

That's a great site, thanks. At least the temperature looks good. I'm in NY at the moment and it's been up to 22 the last 2 days with the sun splitting the sky.

Way too much walking around so far so I'll be taking it easy now apart from a short run tomorrow and Saturday.

Best of luck with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to watch this live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Advertisement