Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 NCAA College football thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

Baylor almost blew it too, 2 field goal misses, dropping a punt, not getting a 4th down, giving away a penalty on 3rd and long. It was fitting that it was the Baylor defence that made the last crucial play

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's all on the table now. Two chances for the Fighting Irish to get in, a Georgia win or a Houston win.

Go Bulldogs!!! Go Cougars!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Well this has turned around in a hurry.

Crazy stat, Georgia has only behind for 20 minutes...... All season.

Georgia get behind too much, this QB does not look capable of bringing them back from behind. He looks poor against this Alabama D.

This could get ugly if the Georgia D doesn't get a stop here.

4 flags in a row.... It was a PI, but a better thrown ball and it was a TD.

Georgia badly needed that. Penalties from Alabama helped them on their way.

• Advertisement

Georgia need to step up the pressure on Young. Having his way with them in first half.... Through the air and on the ground.

Georgia D looks tired, a long half time might suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,206 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting comments at HT.

Both panelists agreed that even if Georgia win you cannot excluded Alabama from the playoff because basically the way they are playing they are one of the top four in the country.

Big difference from last week when they were certainly not playing like a top 4 team.

I think the OSU loss earlier helps Alabama a lot.

Cincinnati are struggling to get ahead of Houston, but they just scored a TD as I type this.

Assuming Michigan win tonight and Georgia come back and win would Alabama be ranked 4 (no conference title and two losses) and end up playing Georgia again in the SF?

All to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Young is making a mockery of this "historic" defence.

3 TDs in under 5 minutes has Cincinnati playoff bound. The committee must be fuming!

Alabama are not losing this one, so unless Michigan lose its going to be as you were for the playoff.

• Advertisement

Well whatever about the permutations, a huge wake up call for Georgia here.

Not often you see a #1 team get manhandled like this.

That's all she wrote.

It'll take a spectacular bottle job from Michigan for Notre Dame to be considered. But I guess if anyone can bottle it, Michigan would be your shout...

They said there was no way Georgia would not make the playoffs. That's because nobody thought, including myself, that they could get blown out. Alabama up by 21, if they win by any more than that it'll be interesting.

Georgia still have a chance, two TDs down and lots of time left, plus stopped Alabama easily on the last two drives.

Well they didn't lose by 21, but the scoreline flattered them. Totally dominated. They looked cooked once they fell behind early in the game.

I don't think they could be dropped outside #4, but a Michigan win should see them drop to 4 i would think.

BT Sports showing the ACC championship game instead of the Big 10.

That's annoying

I'll have to find it elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Reports of Alabama's demise greatly exaggerated last week, here and elsewhere. These are the games to be winning, knock out games. Can Georgia recover from this. They have time but a big loss. Will they meet in the Semis is the next question, they will try to avoid that scenario I guess, but it's possible.

I'd say Georgia will drop to 3 rather than 4, Alabama will be 1 and thus they will "luckly" avoid each other.

Alabama

Michigan

Georgia

Cincinnati

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Loss of John Metchie is massive for the Tide.

Having 2 marquee receivers makes things a whole lot harder for the opposition. Probably be too strong for the Bearcats so possibly a repeat of the SEC Game although I''d love to see a Bama Wolverines showdown.

Some crop of receivers produced by Saban in the last few years, Jones, Cooper, Ridley, Jeudy, Ruggs,Smith, Waddle and now Metchie and Williams.

Roll Tide 😀

The #1 high school recruit in the nation - DB Travis Hunter - has decommitted from Florida State and commited to.....

FCS team Jackson State, who are coached by Deion Sanders.

This is a huge deal, and is directly linked to the new image licensing rules. The rumour is that Hunter is committing to Jackson State having been promised somewhere between $1m and $2m (depending on the rumour you believe) from Barstool Sports for a documentary following him.

Its murky water, because Deion Sanders works for Barstool too since he left NFL Network. There's an implication here that Sanders is part-funding the deal himself.

We can expect reform of the NIL rules pretty quickly now that it's opened up competition for the FBS teams. They won't like that.

• Advertisement

Brilliant Music City Bowl ongoing are the moment, Perdue v Tennessee.

31-30 to Tennessee with 5 or so minutes left in the 4th

45 all now 1:36 to go.

It's a video game as the commentators are saying, huge 70 yard passing plays for TD, 70 yard runs, it's great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

The Music City Bowl was great to watch. Both big offensive teams with injuries and opt outs. Some dodgy calls by the officials. Tennessee can feel hard done by. I thought Purdue played better overall

It was thoroughly entertaining. I'm wondering if O'Connell could be an NFL QB.

It's some story, he was a walk on a few years ago, 8th on the depth chart at Purdue. He got up to no.3 on the depth chart through good work at practice and some moving onto other colleges. Then injury struck and he got his chance. Last night he put himself in the company of the likes of Peyton Manning and Patrick Mahomes with 534 yards and 5 passing TDs. He has a big arm and good footwork in the pocket.

If he were to make it as an NFL starter it'd make a great movie I think.

Cincinatti were keeping in touch with Alabama, but a TD for Bama before HT opens what may be a decisive 17-3 lead approaching the break.

He has another year of eligibility and committed to Perdue a few weeks back, so we will have to wait another year.

I know this because I googled him last night while watching the game to see what his draft prospects might be.

Cincy doing okay against Bama but I have a feeling the Crimson Tide are going to up it in the second half.

A lot closer than I thought. I was expecting a result that would be the death knell for any non-Power Five teams in the playoffs for as long as it stays at 4 teams.

21 points at present, Cincinnati offence have done little throughout. Bama haven't impressed greatly, but have looked comfortable throughout.

I think Georgia will be too much for Michigan in this one. They are fully healthy for the first time this season on offense, they have Pickens back whose been out all season.

Michigan's offense all season long has been about the run game and the Bulldogs are the best in the country at stopping the run, even Alabama couldn't run the ball against them.

• Advertisement

Real dominance from Georgia, had the game won at halftime.

All SEC final, some won't be happy with that, but hard to argue Alabama and Georgia aren't the 2 best teams in the country on form. Big question, can Georgia get the Saban monkey off their back in a big game.

Advertisement