Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes, I suppose that is kind of what I am saying. And that

It probably is far fetched. I don't come here claiming to know the answer to everything.

I'm sure adults are picking it up from their adult social interaction.

But all I can tell you is that in my job (second level teaching) we have gone from 2-3 members of staff being absent to almost 20 each day, now that the close contact rule has been brought in. Which, to me, at second level makes no sense as we are masked. But you see, if the rule has to be in place for one, it has to be there for all and I'll be the first to admit that if second level teachers were made exempt from that rule, there would be war (I'd be happy to be exempt)

All I was suggesting is that the possible train of thought from government (yeah yeah, I know, 'they don't have a train of thought) is that if they can mask the older of primary school children they can go back to not needing the isolate rule.

Is this the right and most effective way to go about doing so? No. Is it the cheapest? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We’ve what, 94% of the population vaccinated and yet we have 4k plus new cases everyday for over a month now if not longer? They’re all not unvaccinated.

Not all unvaccinated, but still make up a sizeable chunk of daily cases ~50%. That figure excludes anyone under 12, who of course would also be unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think labelling it as "rewarded with freedom" and "punished with restrictions" is a bit weird, the adult population aren't children, we should understand what's needed and why it's needed to combat a novel virus that disproportionality effects those with weak immune systems and are older from dying off in droves without feeling the need to be rewarded for it.

Meme from reddit that kind of sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

Living with Covid means no sectors of the economy being restricted in any way whatsoever. Nor social distancing being a thing.

Focus on ventilation in enclosed areas and schools and (free, unlimited) antigen testing for when someone feels under the weather for whatever reason, and isolating if positive. Mask mandates at certain times of year or to manage a surge. Develop treatments. Meanwhile get on with building the appropriate hospital infrastructure and capacity

If this goes on for 5-10 years as has been suggested by British government scientific advisors, ‘living with Covid’ CANNOT mean any restrictions on economic activity whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Danye

I agree. But with stories like that out there, it’s easy to see why people might become reluctant around the vaccination program / boosters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am confused.

My friend's 10 year old tested positive today (yes -after week 1 of mask wearing).

So before - as in say two weeks ago or so - the principal would have texted his pod/table, antigens all the way, byt everyone keeps going as long as they have no symptoms (not the positive child obviously).And prior to that, all at his pod would have to go for tests - but that's it.

So now that they have masks -his pod still get informed, still get antigens and keep going as is??

I don't see how the teacher or the masks really feature in this?I understand it was different in Sept/Oct but of recent weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Fair enough, I think people looking at memes on Reddit a bit weird. Actually Reddit is weird.

Also the reply above which has nothing to do with what was said in the post you quoted but off on some other tangent altogether is a bit weird, you raised the advantages of the vaccine uptake and I agree with you.

The public and adult population get it in the main, hence the fact for the last 2 weeks people have been asked to do their bit and reduce hospital numbers and they did.

Very basic behavioural theory examines what reward does for people in terms of human nature and behaviour, especially in terms of bringing people with you, getting buy in.

You might find the labelling a bit weird but that’s human nature unfortunately, also I don’t recall stating the words you quoted “rewarded with freedoms” and “punished with restrictions” at all, perhaps you’re think of some other post, but I believe the lack of basic knowledge of human behaviour throughout this whole pandemic to be lacking considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

That report says 13% of all cases were not vaccinated in the four weeks to November 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Can't comment on primary schools but in secondary, that was always how it was done (we were all masked from day one)

The change came for us when they did away with the 'close contacts isolate rule' and that is when principals stopped informing parents of positive cases at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Did you read the thread? The conclusion is the virus is milder. That doesn't seem to fit your posting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My plan is to leave people die tbh. Lots wouldn't agree with it but this predominantly kills the very old and the very sick, so I don't see why 99% of people should have their lives curtailed to save lots of people who have either lived theirs or their survival outlook isn't very good even without covid around anyway.

Mitigate the hospital spread by having some dedicated covid only treatment centres, and vaccinations, antivirals etc are there for those people or anyone else who wants to, but outside that, let's just go back to normal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Edgy. Extremely embarrassing for you, but edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

So interesting times ahead chaps. Vaccines are still preventing death amongst that unchanged vulnerable cohort (i.e. 80+ year olds and and those with <insert your preferred quantifier here> underlying conditions). However the reasons for targeting the unvaccinated are not converging:

- Omicron ignores vaccination status

- Vaccines do not inhibit transmission (per Tony Holohan remember)

- The “unvaccinated are dominating hospital ICUs" story has disappeared without explanation (probably with some relief as they were never able to qualify this strange statistic)

- …

I’m feeling the need for a new Long-Covid-is-going-to-rip-through-the-younger-cohort type narrative. Over to you RTE’s Brendan O’Connor ;-) 

Speaking of which, both his mature lady agony aunts yesterday had a story to tell about how they were accommodating unvaccinated family member peers over Christmas. Will leave it as an exercise for the amateur mathematicians here to work out the probability of this scenario being true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The problem is the vaccinated loons who think that because the got two bangs of the jab, that they are bulletproof. This is not the case, they can transmit and get the virus. Science has shown us that the vaccines begin to wane after 3 months. Hence any person who has had their second jab over 6 months ago is no longer well protected.

Science shows antibody levels wane after a few months, but protection from serious illness and death remains high. This is reflected in the realities today. Society has never been as open in the last 18 months than it is now, positive test results are very high, yet hospilatisations, ICU numbers and deaths remain low and half of those are in the unvaccinated.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@titan18 wrote

I don't see why 99% of people should have their lives curtailed

I think you mean lifestyles, but then it wouldn't be as melodramatic.

The only lives curtailed are those who die.

The same studies showing that the period of infectiousness and time sick were lower for the vaccinated and that there is an effect at all in the home environment where exposure would be well beyond the 15 minutes and closer than 1/2 metres recommended otherwise as well as the real world R rate being much lower. If you're going to clarify, bring all of the data into it not just cherry picking the bits to try and support your argument as it detracts even from the good points you make, everyone reading will now be thinking what you're leaving out of future posts because they don't match that narrative.

This was the bit I was replying to, we're adults, rewards are for children, if this is driving behavior during a pandemic (and then it may mostly be on here as public opinion has been very different), then those can't give out when they're treated like children in response.

But not what we have been doing, the most restricted country in Europe throughout this entire pandemic over all, asking people to limit their movements to drive numbers in hospitals down and reward then by imposing even more restrictions.

I disagree. There are plenty of people who have missed cancer screenings cos of this, and people who have developed or worsened mental health conditions.

Even outside of that, what we did to the construction industry during this will result in more homeless. There are people who've had to hold off on getting married, finding relationships, starting families due to all of this. There are people who are financially ruined through this by what's been done to their jobs or companies. People who might not have been able to travel home to say goodbye to dying family members.

Its not just we closed some pubs and that's it. All of the above is lives being ruined imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Interesting to see a minister suggest it could be 'more benign'.

You do of course understand then that those in charge can't have a plan of "leave people die".

Both medically and politically it's absolutely not a path they can take.

I agree, construction should never have shutdown, that was a brain numbingly stupid move.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

Don't they say that in all all walks of life there is always a certain percentage of the population that won't comply? Comply is the wrong word for me anyway as I don't feel vaccines should be mandatory (I personally favour them before someone jumps down my throat).

People can keep demonising and lambasting those who refuse to be vaccinated but it's ultimately pointless. You won't convince everybody and trying to do so indefinitely is a waste of time. In any case it was never part of the deal for everybody to be vaccinated. The aim was that a vaccinated person would be sufficiently protected so that he or she need not worry if they actually did catch covid. As the vaccines are proving to have a much lesser effect than we all hoped they would, panic and fear is striking. When this happens the worst of people comes to the fore, including imo, the demonisation of these so called anti-vax people.

The main thing is that it's unrealistic to think that everybody can or will be convinced to get a jab without coercing them. The only way to get close to achieving this would be to push and encroach on personal freedoms to such a degree that a point is reached where there is little choice left for people if they want to have any real quality of life on a day to day basis (we can argue that we are heading that way).

Personally it's not something I am comfortable with and even in such a scenario there would still be outliers. Plus 94 percent. How much better do we expect to get than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, NPHET seem to have been banished from the airwaves so that's all we're likely to hear.

Yes, I'm aware of that. At least they can't say it publicly anyway. I'd rather we had a country designed for young people to thrive rather than old people to survive though myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

No, it's normalising "the mask" to not being something they should be scared of, or seeing someone getting swabbed, or indeed if there ever comes a time when they themselves need to be swabbed to be not something they should be scared of, end of. No one is saying children should be masked and more importantly infants should be. Nobody is saying that full stop, so stop deliberately misinterpreting it. The thing is it was shown to adults, not children! As an adult we have the choice whether or not to show a child anything whether it is normal or not that is our choice as an adult, just like every other choice anyone makes affects what way we interact in the world we all live in that is our responsibility as adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Not so sure that’s true. Moving elderly out of hospital and back to nursing homes without testing them for Covid first looks quite like a plan to “leave people die.”

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It would work if everyone got the vaccine. We still have hundreds of thousands of unvaccinated adults who are the biggest risk to the health service, and we now know that fully vaccinated people might need boosters before winter, so next year we'll be better prepared and should have no need for any restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Any other illnesses you’d opt to let people die from, or just covid ? No government will ever go that route.

Advertisement