Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

I’d be more worried about their tax plans for people on your salary scale than their past, if I was you!

For me there are a few barriers to voting for them.

Their Past.

Their dictator style of leadership.

Their far left leanings, as in the high earners supporting the low/zero earners

The fear that multinationals might not like their policies and take their investment/ jobs elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I'm waiting to hear why Sinn Féin won't be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I'm no property expert but I do know quite a bit about tax. If SF can introduce a punitive vacant property tax and an effective derelict houses tax, as proposed by EO'B, that would be a fantastic start. FG will do everything in their power to deter such measures.

I'm aware of their tax plans and I have no issue with them, they seem logical and fair. High earners should pay more, that's how a progressive tax system works? As someone who works with the multinationals every day of the week, they aren't going anywhere and they're equally frustrated about the housing crisis.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gerry became SF vice president in 1978 and is still active

Like FF the "new leadership" are the people who happily went along with the old regime was allowed step down rather than be ousted. So both parties will have baggage until there's a new generation.

Politically the question is who will do a deal with SF to make up the numbers ? They are toxic to supporters of FF/FG and other parties on the left. And I'd imagine the suspicion is that they'd pull a government down rather than handle a crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Marylou has spent the last week travelling around the States meeting with Trump Supporters and charging them 1000 dollars for a few spuds and a Toicfaidh At La.

Their talk about spending increases and tax cuts resemble the final few budgets of the Bertie Era.

Then there's their policies. 100% social housing on state owned land while raising taxes on those who are successful to fund it.

They want to bring in 100s of hospital consultants while raising taxes on those on over 100K a year.

Then there is SFUK branch raising rents on social housing during the pandemic, privatising alot of the social stock up north. Screaming in the Dail about welfare cuts but then voting to send welfare decisions back to Westminster.

Then the best of all could you imagine Pauline Tully as minister for justice after marrying and campaigning for the release of a fella in prison for murdering a cop... Dessie Ellis as Minister for Defence ?

Yawn one who ran up a bill with the housing charity in charge of housing ?

Could we see a Taoiseach attending commerations for those who tried to overthrow the state ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Still can't see where they will get the numbers needed they may well be the largest but most likely below 50 seats a long way off other parties can still cobble together the numbers and they still have a lot that are well established in their areas to get returned dispite people being cheesed off with the party .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From a Conservative PoV, given how much the main parties have lurched to AuthLeft/LibLeft over the decades then it is case of Sinn Fein staking out its claim earlier than the rest who have shown no compulsion on kowtowing to the Twitterverse or restricting constitution rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It was funny when they were giving out about other party leadership contests saying "we don't do coronations" when that's all they have ever done themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’ll be as far and away from supporting workers as you’ll get.

something and someone will have to pay for their increased handouts and freebies to their mates, layabouts, criminals as well as a massively increased influx of numbers from outside the state ...

Law and order ? The place could become an absolute desolate violent hellhole. Every violent ne'er-do-well will be of the opinion the shinners have their back, they probably will... Sinn Fein in its 51/52 year history has gone to outstandingly outlandish lengths to aid and support violence, the subversion of democracy, law and order and the safety and wellbeing of citizens of this state and indeed others...

so on those basis, they won’t be seeing a vote from me..a leopard does not change its spots... and Mary Lou’s loyalty goes no further then her own supporters she isn’t in this for our wellbeing. She is not a team player.

if they get in, what happens at the next general election ? Will their be an attempt to subvert democracy as is their style.... will they undermine, threaten the electoral commission....in order to remain in power ? It’s possible..they’ve enabled and supported Garda killers... so all of a sudden they’ll be backing them ? Don’t think so.

its not that difficult to grasp.... they have launched attacks on this state, it’s citizens and our representatives before via their terrorist proxy..... they get in, it might be impossible to get them out...democratically.

So as imperfect the current situation... we exist in a society that for the most part values and enables freedom, democracy, law and order... investment in the wellbeing of our citizens... we are a nation that is respected more or less worldwide...

while I understand frustrations as regards the political status quo I also understand too well the abhorrent risk that a Sinn Fein government would represent for the people of this state.. our reputation internationally as well as the safety and security of people of and in this state....

better the devil you know..

That's an hour of your life you're never getting back lol. It's good to let these things out though, apparently it helps to keep the anxiety/paranoia at bay. Hopefully you get the professional help you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

We've had 100 years of FF and FG passing the buck and blaming each other for the piss poor job they've done in government.

Finally, they've been forced to combine and can no longer fall back on the usual excuses.

I'll vote for Sinn Fein, purely to kick out FFG for at least a term and force them to come up with new ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Why? He makes reasonable if somewhat emotive points. Refute what he said rather than glib comments about what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

sf will be fine, at the absolute absolute worst they will be much better then ffg would ever be, whereas at their best they will deliver all and every one of the changes needed to modernise ireland, and i am convinced that it will be sf at their best that we will get.

ffg have a bloodier past then sf so the past as an argument against voting for sf doesn't hold any water, it amounts to an i won't vote for them but i have no real reason for not voting for them argument. sure sf's past goes up to more recent then ffg but that doesn't matter if the past is going to be a problem when voting for sf but not ffg.

the reason our boy gerry held on as leader until he retired is he was popular among the party faithful and voters and he was a damn good politician, it was a sad day when he retired.

i look forward to voting for them every election as they are the party of modernisation and they will invest in our systems so that we can get back law and order, deal with the housing issues and have the quality infrastructure that we are lacking finally built.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

his points are hysterical nonsense in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

You say "piss poor job", but then we are one of the most affluent countries in the world, by any measure. Quite an extraordinary achievement when you consider what a poor country we were 100 years ago, with very little industry outside of agriculture. We also have much better distribution of wealth than most other developed countries. We have a tax system which puts much of the burden on the better off.

On the things we complain about such as the health service, we have much improved health outcomes these days as measured by life expectancy and cancer recovery rates. Housing is a real problem - largely because we have been so successful and have net migration - but the only solution to that is to build more houses.

Sure, lots of things could be better but I really can't see how Sinn Fein (who have a shocking record in government in NI) can claim they would have done a better job overall. There is literally no country in the world which can match Ireland's economic and social progress over the last 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Maybe, maybe not? Would someone mind explaining why SF until up very recently were trying to get rid of the Special Criminal Court? Surely a party that would govern our country would want to keep such an implement of justice rather than remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

It's not though is it?

I'll tell you, we could end up with more of the same.

• Advertisement

I understand your points, Ireland is a great place to live. But are all the benefits you listed purely down to our government?

They made Ireland into a tax haven to attract FDI, the EU invested heavily in us too over the past 40 years, the country has (or had) a very young population due to decades of emigration. I don't think much governance was needed to make Ireland the country it is today. And what governance have we actually had? Decades of scandal between Haughey and Bertie, the many tribunals, Anglo Irish, vulture funds to name a few..

On the things we do complain about, housing, health, wage stagnation, high taxes or disproportionate taxes, these are pretty fundamental to life. The country already has several "lost generations" due to incompetence.

If they stop using tax money to line the pockets of investment funds and put tax money into affordable and social housing as they say they will, thats one way anyway.

I think the idea of having a non-jury court in this day and age is fairly self-explanatory.

I was very disappointed to see FF rise up like a turd that just won't flush because both they and FG are afraid of SF knocking one of both off the top two spots on a regular basis. Teaming up was a move of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

SF have had nothing to do with the state of the Health Service or housing. Ever. FF/FG have, every single year since the inception of the state. They've done a fúckin abysmal job with both, yet it is always someone else's fault. Just how many goes at it do people want to give them, reckon they'll nail it in another 100 years, another century the sweet spot for them?

I'll happily give SF a go, or anyone else.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I have no idea why young, hard-working, intelligent people would consider voting for a party that will do absolutely nothing for them 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

We don't have high taxes, nor are they disproportionate. Taxes here on lower paid workers are amongst the lowest anywhere. Wages here have increased at a faster rate than anywhere in Europe. The health service has dramatically improved over the last 20 years - just take a look at life expectancy in Ireland. Anyway, of course the success of the country is down to many things but governments here have largely made good decisions on investing in infrastructure, improving social welfare payments, attracting foreign investment and creating a knowledge economy. There are many, many things we could better but that also applies to every other country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Advertisement

because quite simply it's not needed really and sf believe or believed in jury trials under all circumstances with a proper system in place to insure intimidation etc was stamped down on hard.

personally i agree with the scc being abolished but if sf now believe in keeping it i am okay with that as perhapse i am just in the minority on that issue either way.

Advertisement