Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid cash in hand?

Options
  • 05-12-2021 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

So I did my first week of work last week with a new company as a bus driver for school kids. On Friday the owner paid me in the yard by taking taking out a big wad of cash and giving me €350 into my hand. I asked about there being a payslip and he said that if I wanted one to let him know. Said something about how he's not good with computers and that his some now does all that now that the accountant's gone. Having thought about it since I realised I should have also asked him if that was before or after tax! And what about showing my PRSI contributions.

Comments

I'm guessing you didn't get a contract either. Did you agree €350 - is that the correct gross?

Simply put, you're not employed. You are being exploited in the black market economy. You'll have no pension / PRSI, SW entitlement. But, there should be a lot of jobs out there.

In particular you'll not qualify for PUP either if that comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

We agreed €300 but it ended up being €350 because he had me do some extra work. He'll have to find a way to fudge it when I ask him for a pay slip. So what's the best way for him to fudge it? Will he take money away from the €350 in my next payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Quite the assumptions you made based on what's posted. It's possible the OP is being paid in cash but is still being put through the books.

@Brid Hegarty Has your employer asked for your PPS number?

Yes. Wasn't in rush about it but yes. I don't know if I need the company number for Revenue purposes. But when I gave him my bank details he said something about how he hasn't been using that method because of changing banks or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Get a new job. This guy only intends paying you cash, some weeks it'll be 300, some weeks it might be more.

You seem to have avoided the question of whether or not there is a contract. I'd be very doubtful that everything is above board and you are on the insurance policy to drive a school bus. Did he ask you to provide proof of a valid/clean license for this work? Were you Garda vetted before starting work?

If you are involved in an incident in which kids are injured, you could be in a very tricky situation if everything isn't absolutely 100% in order.

• Advertisement

I didn't get a contract. Forgot all about it to be honest. Yes I've been garda vetted, and have all necessary licenses so there's no issue there.

I’d push for a payslip. Find out who the accountant is and ask if it’s ok to contact them to arrange payslips to be emailed to you weekly.

Books? Payroll isn't done on books anymore, certainly not since it's now reported live directly to Revenue.

You're the one making assumptions. I'm literally taking the OPs words verbatim. Also, what gross payment would you need to be paid to get paid 350 net exactly? Give an example, use whatever assumptions you like. Or admit you haven't a scoobie what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You're as bad as each other.

OP check your revenue online under 'Manage my tax 2021'. If your employer is listed there (under 'Your jobs and pensions' , you can check what tax/PRSI etc contributions you have made.

The day of receiving payslips are gone as everything goes through Revenue anymore.

If there is nothing there on your Revenue, ask your employer when he is getting his bookkeeper/accountant to set you up as you wish to immediately look at your pension options etc (or anything else).

It is entirely possible that your employer just has not gotten around to it. I would not listen to those telling you to find another job until you at least find out what I've mentioned first.

@[Deleted User] I'm guessing you didn't get a contract either. 

Well I mean I wouldn't be too worried about that. In reality there has to be a lot of small companies that don't give contract to their staff. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

You must know what rate of pay you agreed before you started the job so you can work out whether the cash you got is net after tax/prsi/usc. Nothing to stop a company paying in cash but most don't for practical or security reasons.

Employees are legally entitled to get a statement of wages (ie a payslip) showing the gross amount and itemised deductions for every payment received whether it's his son or whoever else processes the payroll and irrespective of him changing his bank account.

Edit: Employees are also entitled to get a written statement of core terms by day 5 and can request a Day 5 Statement. EE's are entitled to get a written statement of terms and conditions within 2 months.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

Dear God.

YOU ARE ENTITLED BY LAW TO GET A PAYSLIP. It has nothing to do with the new filing with Revenue. You might be thinking of a P60.

OP, you also need to get a contract of employment. Everyone should get one.

Look up citizens advice. The problem with boards.ie everyone can hit keys on a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭SVI40

Pay slips are still a legal requirement. Revenue do not show deductions for health insurance, union fees, bike to work scheme, so may other deductions that may be made. Such a silly statement. SMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

How pedantic, You know exactly what i was referring to.

Have no interest engaging, you seem like a very angry individual, Your use of capitals in this thread is embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You don't need to get a contract until a few weeks (maybe 4) after you start).

Think of what you got as a cash advance.

Do ask for a payslip each week. Yes, his son will have to do it.

Also do ask for their number so you can register for tax. Yes his son will have to get it. Again - no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I drive a bus that is mainly used for a school run. I dont have a contract and everything is above board wrt Revenue and insurance.

You may have all the required cards BUT if the school run is a contract from a state agency then your employer has to go through the Garda vetting precedure regardless of whether you supplied one yourself.

If not and he is not a big operator I woud have concerns about how the business is run.

Ask for a payslip that can be confirmed by revenue otherwise walk away as no doubt they are cutting corners and you dont wanna find out the hard way.

A half experienced bus driver will walk into a driving job in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doc22

Maybe he's going to class you as self-employed and you'll have to sort out your own tax by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You are asking for trouble working like this get something else with your licence that should be easy enough to find something that is above board .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The day of receiving payslips is gone.... Lol. Absolute lollers.

Don't call people out that know more about the topic than spoofers. I am angry at people not knowing the basics and acting like they do, especially if they have attitudes. The OP has a lot of signs of not being legit. Round sum payments. Let them know if you want a payslip. It might regularise, but you'd expect the employer to be forthcoming on that 'will get it sorted' not IF you want it sorted.

You should get the basics of your contract within 5 days. This is essential, what are your working hours, rates of pay, breaks etc. These are basic protections.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Well this is the only experience I have as a bus driver... with this company! It's not that big a company. Main bus company in my town though... 14 buses in total.

Do you get holidays pay (8%)? I haven't asked yet but I'm almost certain I won't be getting it. I was told by one of the other employees there that it's not standard in the industry to pay holidays pay!

As an employee you are 100% entitled to holiday pay and bank holidays (that depends on a number of factors as to when and how much).

Min 20 days annual leave and 9 public holidays if an employee per year.

If you don't get holiday pay then they must be trying to treat you as self employed. BUT, he did mention the possibility of a payslip, which would lean towards employment expectation.

I would consider 14 buses as not a small operation.

There are a number of rules as to how employed and self employed are defined.

If he provides the bus, your insurance, dictates when and how you work and you can't arrange for someone to cover for you I'd suggest it likely you are employed.

Its very possible that you will be 'let go' during the school holidays hence no holiday pay which makes more it more important that you are paying tax so at least you can claim for the time you are off.

That's not how holiday pay works. If you work you accrue holiday pay entitlement for the time you work. It could be 8% (or higher, depends on the contract).

The poster is getting paid cash into the hand. If no tax is being paid then its highly unlikely they will get holiday pay. I am giving them the information as to what could happen as they are doing a school run like myself and thats my experience unless the operator has enough work out of school term to keep them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alot of responses here don't reflect the reality of working for a small privately run business. Yes, the law says you get payslip and holiday pay and you should have a contract but the reality is different.

This guy appears to have some cash income and he fancies having a driver working somewhat casually. It's happening all over. Driver will be told there is no more work at short notice if it suits the business.

He will be paid per shift worked. No more. No less. Probably won't work bank holidays but won't be paid for them either.

I'd advise going to work for bigger company.

the real worry is insurance to me. Who is responsible if the bus is crashed.

In the OP the employer mentioned a payslip if asked for. That suggests employment. It's not up to the person running the business to decide if the OP is an employee or self employed - payment in cash does not affect that decision. I've mentioned a few key tests above as to what constitutes 'for service' and 'of service' - here it is in more detail. See page 6

Going by what we know it would appear employment.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/code-of-practice-on-employment-status.pdf

I agree there is some cash/under the table work being done out there, but only when both parties agree. An example would cash businesses like plumbers and taxi drives. Less so when one party wants the relationship to be official. Most small businesses would not take on someone that should be an employee and risk it going wrong. The risks are too great. As has been mentioned in this case Insurance would be a major concern.

• Advertisement

Are you getting the 8% holidays pay on what you work though?

Advertisement