Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

No, didn't see near 67 Kw and my time was off lol, was actually charging for 32 mins, ESB app confirms, even less impressive is 28 Kwh in 32 mins. I was taking pics before I took the screen shots to account for the time.

Battery temp is the real culprit here I think, on one of Bjorn's videos I watched a while ago his battery temp was at around 30 Deg C which allowed 130 Kw on the Sport version he reviewed. Didn't last long of course but was on the 58 Kwh.

I wonder if the 77 Kwh could get this upgrade ?

I still haven't received 2.3 software either.

If it needs around 30 Deg for 100+ Kw I wonder what it needs for 80 odd Kw, more testing needed but with so much range to begin with with the 77 Kwh fast charging is probably going to be quite rare for me but was indeed very nice to do all that driving today and still have 38% left.

The question I'm dying to know though is, was the ESB charger the limitation or was it battery temp of 21 deg C limiting me to 50 Kw ? think I saw a brief stint at 54 Kw. This 77 Kwh doesn't warm up much from driving, if the battery heater didn't bring the temp up to 12 deg C I hate to think what it would have been like with no form of battery heating at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Your problem was your starting SoC.

as eagerv said you need to be below 20%

once you are at about 15% and battery is above 20C you’ll get the 100kW

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

I used the same charger, my battery was below 20%, weather was cold, not sure of battery temperature but I had just driven about 80kms. I was getting 62 kw from the charger.

The battery temp was too low to receive 100 Kw at any SOC and I wasn't expecting this but according to the videos I've seen, if the battery temp is high enough I should be receiving at least 90 Kw at 37% and that was on the 58 Kwh. Some of Bjorns videos are the same so now I just need to find out what battery temp I need to get 90 Kw at 37%. From what I have seen on Bjorns video battery temp needs to be around 28-30 Deg C. I noticed the battery around 21 Deg which must mean the heater kicked because it was at 12 deg when I started the charge and the inlet was at 17 when I returned 10 mins later so it must have been heating some but why turn it off at 21 Deg C ?

Still no v 2.3 software, not even a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Hi mad lad. i received part 1 of 2.3 on 12th nov. No part 2 yet. Have car since feb. I gave permission on 1st october.

• Advertisement

The battery temp was too low to receive 100 Kw at any SOC

I dont think so.

21-25°C is what is needed to get 100kW but your starting SoC needs to be ~15%. This is what VW have said also.

Even if you heat the battery more I dont think you'll get 90kW if your starting point is 37% SoC(but maybe your 77kWh battery is different). The SoC at the start of the session affects the curve.

Post edited by KCross on

I'll have to check more videos on the 77 Kwh or just look at id4 videos because the 58 Kwh should be getting 90 Kw at 37%, if the 77 Kw isn't or can't then this would be really poor for such a large battery but the overall charging curve seems to be crap on such a big battery anyway.

This video shows id4 charging at 108 Kw at 47% and there's snow on the ground, that's more like it.

Can't wait to try at Ionity tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcD4Sugy3o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, but he is starting at 0%. I have regularly got 100kW or close enough at Ionity when I start at 10 or 15% after a run. Tapers a bit fairly quickly, but maintains good speed up to 50% or so.

because the 58 Kwh should be getting 90 Kw at 37%

It will, but you need to start at ~15% SoC first. If you connect at 37% you wont get 90kW.

The Leaf used do something similar. If you were, say, getting 45kW upto 30% and then you disconnected and reconnected immediately you wouldnt get the 45kW anymore eventhough the battery is at the same temp and the same SoC as it was when you disconnected.... the ID's are the same. The starting SoC when you connect affects the curve.

To get max charge rate your starting SoC has to be ~15% and the battery has to be up to temp. If either of those conditions are not met you wont get the max. The BatteryLife youtube channel has a good video on it.

• Advertisement

But what I'm talking about in this video is that it shows him getting 108 Kw at 47% so there's no reason I shouldn't unless there's a software or charger limit.

I'll watch the video later, ta, very strange behaviour. I wasn't expecting great speeds with 12 Deg C battery temp for sure and that was after around 290 Kms driven. It doesn't warm up much from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't know how many times it needs to be said but the charging curve is affected by your starting battery percentage.

If you plug in at a low battery percentage (below 15%) you get higher charge rates. If you plug in at a higher battery percentage you'll get lower charging speeds.

Yes I know this but I seem to be getting well below the charging kw for a given soc than I'm seeing in other videos which I'm sure is temp related.

I will see what happens at ionity Athlone tomorrow.

I didn't give permission that I know of where do you do this ?

I seem to be getting well below the charging kw for a given soc than I'm seeing in other videos

You don’t seem to understand it because you’ve just said the same thing again above.

You won’t get the rates you see in those other vids unless you plug in at <15%. You plugged in at 37% and that’s why you got a low rate. Battery temp plays a part too but that wasn’t the main issue since your battery was at 21C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hi folks, went to charge up the car this morning and took out the cable from the car and see this, I can get it back to its normal position, but will probably only get one charge before the pin falls off. I assume i need a special plug to replace?

Yes, it’s a special plug. They generally have temp sensors built into them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It was in the boot, and there's nothing in the boot (for this reason) bar the 2 cable that came with the car.

Socket is fine, its an external weatherproof one, there's no damage on it.

Will give VW a try

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

All id3 owners should have received email asking for permission to get 2.3 update. Some people missed it as it came in the promotions section of the people with gmail. If you donthave the email contact weconnect- support@volkswagen.de or call 1800930066.

Got my part 2 of 2.3 yesterday and went ok.

• Advertisement

Thanks, no did not receive any email, I checked. I sent off an email to them so hopefully will get it soon.

Got to ionity earlier and couldn't activate the charge with the app and neither could a tesla driver that got there before me, I had to call the support number, took around 10 mins to get it going from messing around with the app to talking to the lady on the phone. Very helpful but shouldn't be this difficult. Should be able to pay with Apple Pay and Google pay.

Anyway, same charge % same battery temp got 60 Kw off Ionity, not expecting a lot with battery temp of 21 deg C but starting off with 60 Kw with 13 deg C battery temp isn't all that bad considering the BMW i3 94 Ah would have charged at only around 35 Kw with this battery temp, it needed 21 Deg C or close for full 50 Kw.

So why would the esb 150 Kw give me only 50 Kw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I had a similar issue with my vw and yes it's a special plug needed. Pain I the hoop tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Hopefully plug and charge for Ionity will be part of 3.0, it's already implemented by Ionity albeit for a very limited number of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Hope you got the charge for free, normally if you have to call them they don't charge.. (Saw similar with an iPace last week)

That would be cool, how would the charger recognise the car though for billing ?

We need a lot more Ionity chargers. Even if it costs 79 C/Kwh it was a pleasure pulling up today, 2 cars charging and then I plugged in and still one space free. Looked for charge in Galway yesterday and the 2 chargers were busy with queues.

I never checked, I will later though. I would have stayed past 61% if I had to know it would be for free lol.

Longest spin in BEV every since Friday, never checked total kms driven but on Friday evening after work drove from Dublin - Carlow - 17 Kms west of Galway City, drove around maybe 130 Kms around Galway and then drove back to Carlow today.

Charging much slower than expected caught me by surprise, I wasn't expecting it to be that bad, if the id3 even heated up the battery using the battery heater while charging it could have made a difference as I have yet to charge the battery at higher than 21 Deg C or yet to arrive with 15% or less, if you have to plug in at 15% or lower to get decent charging speeds for the duration of the charge then it greatly reduces the effectiveness of having an EV that is capable of taking faster charge rates but simply won't. I still need to figure out the temp needed for decent charging speeds.

I'm sure VW can correct this with software updates along with proper battery heating but they also might not and we might have to buy another EV to get decent charging speeds in Winter. Even in Summer one might struggle to get more than 21 Deg C especially when setting off early the next morning when away from home needing a fast charge, at he height of an Irish Summer ambient temps can get as low as 10 Deg C and always much lower than what a battery would need for proper fast charge.

One thing for sure, electrics have some way to go yet in relation to fast charging.

Overall though the experience was good, I probably fast charged more than what I needed, in fact I did just out of curiosity, I got home with 37% which is way more than I needed but I didn't slow down below 120 on the motorway and there were some stretches at 130, clock speed. The car itself is great, lovely drive, comfortable and the infotainment is good and I am super delighted I have so much range, getting the 77 Kwh was absolutely the correct thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

ML. Are you registered for Ionity through VW WeCharge?

• Advertisement

I've done many long journey's in the ID.3 and used Ionity and got 100kW from them in both winter and summer where the air temp was ~8°C and had no issues.

VW can make it better of course and they have said they will improve it with the next version but how much control they give the driver is the thing. I suspect they will take the cautious approach and give no flexibility and have it all fully automated like it is now, but lets see what they do.

Advertisement