Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Yes, you are correct, bar it’s Boden’s 3rd team.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is the Dublin vs Waterford NHL game in Croker ?

Dublin vs Tyrone I imagine will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That Wolfe Tones v Crokes game is a tough one. Fair play to Tones putting it to them. Cian Ward red (two yellows) has finished it I would say.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

Probably a double header with the hurling a curtain raiser. Mannion is some player. If only he could be persuaded to rejoin the Dublin panel next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully as a Waterford supporter always nice to play in Croke Park

Be nice bonus to see the football after, we will wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

No surprise it was on the cards but an important player in his peak years wish him well .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Another of the golden generation gone. What a warrior, he was one you would happily go into battle with. He along with a few others in that team stood up and were counted, took no crap, gone was Dublin's soft centre, and the opposition did not like it. Enjoy the retirement Philly. One of the good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

One who you wanted on your side than against you.

Who can forget the 2015 all Ireland final where he had Gooch in his pocket.

All the best Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Portarlington vs Kilmacud an absolute jokeshop of a first 33 minutes thanks to the ref…… fair few hatchet men in the Portarlington halfback line, on the rare occasion the free is awarded there is no sign of a card even though some of the fouls are blatantly deliberate to keep Crokes from breaking the 45… hand striking in the face now , free awarded, no card again…. Nowhere near the ball..

officials again, nowhere near good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Crokes are playing as if they expect the match to be handed to them. Port far better team. Port have only one hard fella, Mulpeter, something like Philly McMahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Crokes halfbacks are sleepwalking but you don’t need to be hard to continuously tactically foul,

Crokes back to within two, getting more space near the Portarlington goal.

Those Laois club sides always seem to be hard luck stories. They must be sick of it.

Well done Crokes. Paul Mannion class. No need to say improvement needed to win Leinster. Let alone All Ireland. But they got over the hurdle and the shooting will surely improve.

*Mulpeter hard but can't play ball like Philly!

Ahem. Clough Ballacolla didn't have much of a hard luck story last weekend.

Portlaoise have 7 Leinsters and one All Ireland football club title. Up with Vincent's as the top Leinster football club side. Hardly hard luck.

Laois is a county of 80,000 population, to be producing competitive club sides in both codes is over achievement. When I was minor, old U18, many moons ago, I played on teams where 7 lads would be 17 and 18 and you'd field 2 or 3 13/14 year olds. We got to County final A grade with such a team composition.

I find it hard to explain to Dublin friends. I'd have them down at training and they'd be amazed at the small numbers training and fellas in their mid 40s lining out on intermediateclub teams!

Laois drew a lot of players, Beano McDonald, Joe Higgins, Tom Kelly etc from rural clubs in the past. There were bigger 'traditional' families back then. A lot of these clubs are folding and amalgamating with low numbers, small families. Laois have less of a player base than in the 90s, even though the population rose Fr 50k to 80k. There are a lot of challenges. You won't end up with competitive County teams in the likes of Laois, Carlow etc. We're heading closer to Leitrim.

I don't know what the solution is. Anyway I was about to say it's not Dublin's problem. But in many ways it is. I'd say the Dubs of the 70s and 80s enjoyed having Meath, Offaly challenge. Winning Leinster meant something. Laois and Dublin had a decent rivalry 1995-2007.

Ah come off it that is putting some spin on it. 7 Leinsters and an AI club title does not tell the real story for Portlaoise.

The year Portlaoise last won an AI club was in the early 80's. Plus in theory in Laois club football it should be much easier to emerge from than club Dublin football. So the dominant club teams should get more chances to have a run in Leinster.

At least Portarlington did not fluff a chance of winning like Portlaoise did against Boden a few years ago. When the free taker hooked it -

Also Clough Ballacolla is a one off Laois are a football county - with a few fringe diehard hurling areas. The 80000 thing is an excuse. Also the population of KK is 99000

You only need 15 players. If sport was based on population USA would win rugby, and NZ and Ireland would be nowhere.

Plenty of years in the AI club the Laois football side blew their chance when a Dublin side was already knocked out. Wooly Parkinson has given out about it plenty of times.

What an unusual and totally inaccurate post, which is very anti Portlaoise, for some reason. Why are you so sour posting anti Portlaoise stuff like the Cahilane miss??

Camrose have won Leinster hurling finals. Castletown got to finals in the 2000s. Portlaoise hurlers were in a Leinster final in the early 2000s. Not a once off as you say. (Castletown taking Birr to a replay in 2001 etc). Bar Cuala, for investment and numbers, Dublin has serious trouble producing natural hurlers. Awful trouble, 3 or 4 in every team only. Problems with constipation and in need of a laxative. Ballacolla fancied it, once Crokes had to travel, especially.

Laois is a 50/50 East West split hurling and football. The line goes North/South through Portlaoise and Abbeyleix. I'm from there. I know. Laois only senior all Ireland is in hurling. They've made appearances in both senior football and hurling all Ireland finals. A dual county. Kilkenny concentrates on hurling much much more.

Portlaoise last won a Leinster football title was 2010. That's not too much different than Vincent's, founded by a Laois priest by the way hence why Vincent's wear the reverse white, blue, white colours. Put that in your pipe. https://leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa/archive/leinster-gaa-roll-honour/football-champions-roll-honour/aib-leinster-g-club-football-champions/

Kilmacud Crokes are a league of nations. Offaly player, Dias Armagh etc. Portlaoise played them off the park in Carlow in 2004. They had McBarron of Fermanagh and others on wages. And 'class' acts like Mark Vaughan.

I've just received a personal message that you engage in top class waffling. So I'll be leaving it there so 😊 Portlaoise, top of the Leinster roll of honour in club football😉 Bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Gael85

Who this Offaly lad playing with Kilmacud Crokes?

• Advertisement

Naas will be deserving favourites going into final. Crokes haven't played well since beating Boden in county semi final.

I can't remember his name, just Ger Canning kept referring to the Offaly player.

I'd like to point out to genuine Dublin fans, I have nothing against Dublin football and hurling. Certain things were said, solely to shut up a person who was disrespectful to my county. Went out of his way to insult and lie.

The Offaly player Shane Horan is from Dublin. Played with Offaly under the parentage rule like David Brennan and Shane Cooke did for Laois in the noughties. All 32 players of Crokes panel are homegrown so no league of nations. Dyas back playing in Armagh a couple years, wasn't starting anyway as riddled with injuries. Brian Kavanagh, Liam McBarron and Adrian Morrissey are still involved with Crokes in playing or coaching capacity.

Portlaoise are symptomatic of Laois football - IMO. That is why I picked that Portlaoise miss against Boden.

It sums up Laois football/

I would argue after Kildare - Laois are the major underachievers in Leinster football.

You speak off KC as being a united nations of players. That should tell you how high a standard Dublin club football is. And also how Dublin club football develops players outside Dublin and improves the standards of players working in Dublin. Such as Pat Spillane - who was a nothing player until he came to Judes. After coming to Judes he is potential intercounty level.

Also Dublin club football has had to put up with playing against colleges such as DCU and UCD.

I remember a final where Vincents played UCD - UCD had intercounty players such as McManus (Offaly) (Divilly) Galway on the bench among others

Your tone seems to be blinkered. Laois glory years in a previous post. When were those glory years? Under the stewardship of an outsider Mick O'Dwyer along with imports such as Sheehan.

As for you mentioning discussions PM's from other posters you have received. I fail to see the relevance,

1) It is breaking boards rules attacking a poster (why has the poster not has the decency to engage in debate rather than PM

2) Normally when someone attacks a poster it means they have lost argument - which you have slyly attempted to do - to avoid censure. By claiming a third person sent you a PM

You are just view any criticism of Laois personally that is the issue. Rather than standing back and looking at the facts. Trying to massage history to pretend that Portlaoise are on a par with St Vincent's. Which seems deluded. Given the nature of competition in Laois v Dublin.

My view is Laois normally fold when it comes to crunch.

Which is part of the reason why any shock victory is celebrated in Laois

All bark and no bite most of the time. They fail to get over the line. It is only when Laois bring in outside help - Micko in football or Brennan in hurling that that they seem to get some bit of life in them.

I think is a mindset issue with Laois which causes Laois to underachieve given the strength of club football there - they should be doing a lot better IMO.

Dublin made Pat Spillane🤣🤣🤣 Do you even know his lineage on his mam's side.

Billy Sheehan wasn't around for our Leinster. What a load of drivel. Absolute rubbish. Not worth the effort of a detailed reply.

P.s. Mick O'Dwyer was only around for one of our Leinster wins. You're posts are bitter, pathetic and inaccurate.

And in the interest of transparency I received 2 PMs about you now!

Again your missing the point. My point is Laois seem to have a big fish in a small pond mindset.

Great against the poor teams in Leinster Carlow etc. Then at county level the same thing. It takes an outsider to lift Laois and make them try and mould underage talent. All you have given so far is excuses - population etc. You have not answered why Laois have such a small minded mentality.

They always seem to have a couple of flair players historically but no real belief in themselves. Which is why Laois ends up looking outside the county for guidance (Cheddar maybe the one exception).

When I think Laois I think flakey - might be OK on a one off but that is it. But ultimately come up short. Maybe you might not like that. But I am not into the plàmas and sugar coating stuff.

I think most objective Laois people would look at Laois county football and say they could have done a lot better. The same with club football - Portlaoise etc.

When Wooly Parkinson talks about Portlaoise you can hear his frustration in his voice. And he is a dyed in the wool(y) Portlaoise man. He has said many times when the Dublin team gets knocked out Portlaoise still finds a way to blow it most of the time. When they should be favourites Portlaoise do not do well with favourite tag etc.

In fairness to Portarlington they did not fold as much as Portlaoise have done in the past. So I suppose that is improvement. But to me Laois football has a mindset problem. And to my mind Portlaoise are the poster boys for that mindset problem. Big fish in the small pond mentality.

Ah now the mask has slipped I knew it would not take long - the financially doped argument is for other threads. The moderators do not permit its discussion here.

Laois contains many commuter dormitory towns to Dublin, they have access to facilities. Many Laois people have played for Dublin clubs such as Colm Parkinson. Surely those with know how from Laois would be learning something?

In my opinion if you think the stats stand for themselves with Portlaoise football, you are deluding yourself.

Utterly dominate at Laois club level football. Yet unable to really shake things up outside Laois.

Portlaoise last Leinster club came in 2009 - yet were dominant in the Laois from 02 -19.

How many chances does a team need?

--

I have already answered the population argument in another post. And it is well covered in other threads. Such as 'dominance of Dublin GAA' etc

KK have a population similar to Laois and seem to do very well for themselves.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement

Mod Edit

Warning isssued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Advertisement