Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re not focusing on education or skills to be self-reliant in Ireland though. Immigrants with that education or skills don’t need support, they’re already self-reliant. There is no reason to be concerned about what manner of life they can have here when they arrive. It doesn’t matter whether they come from 3rd world nations or wherever they come from.

There’s no “encouraging low skilled workers”, the fact is that there are labour shortages in low-skilled employment, which can’t be filled from the existing labour market, and that’s why an economy needs immigrants, in order to maintain those sectors and keep the economy growing - the benefit is to the economy, as opposed to focusing on whether or not it has any impact on the population of the host nation. Again - there’s no need to start with people who can provide for themselves already, or their children, who are as much a drain on economic resources as any children, as are plenty of adults, regardless of their status as immigrants or natives. The biggest problem with a welfare state is that it discourages self-sufficiency, and that again would be the same regardless of a persons national identity or immigration status.

The new model is the one where immigrants who need it are provided with support in the same way as anyone who needs it is provided with support, and I don’t mean welfare benefits into the hand, but rather through policies which means spending money on putting structures in place and resources which will enable people to integrate into society and lift everyone up economically speaking, as opposed to creating a society where the wealth gap gets wider with every boom-bust cycle and each time it happens, the effects are more profound.

Yes, the long term benefits of providing support to immigrants does benefit the economy as a whole, and sure, it’s a long term investment, one that the UK has never made, and Germany already did it with German reunification in the 90’s, tore the arse out of the economy for a while, but the long-term initial investment paid off -

I’m not talking about low-skilled or high-skilled immigrants when I talk about immigration, but rather immigration policies and the benefit to an economy as a whole. There’s plenty of research on the impact of immigration on an economy -

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No, no - you are changing the narrative there. The EU was bought into the discussion in relation to the regularisation scheme. I challenged that. That was it. You have no basis for saying anything about my beliefs. The idea that this regularisation scheme came about because of the EU is pure and utter nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Pure and utter nonsense? That would be the claim that I've said anything about your beliefs at all. Which I haven't. I've dealt only with what I have quoted. Your writing, your words, nothing to do with whatever is in your head.

It is incredibly naive to believe that the EU doesn't have the ability to influence one of it's smallest members, either by subtle means, or the more blatant threat of withholding access to EU support initiatives or investment. Large nations bully smaller nations all the time. The US is particularly good at it by withholding trade deals and/or enforcing trade tariffs on others' goods. Ireland is tied to the EU market... we're also deeply connected to the wide range of economic and social initiatives that comes from the EU. You seriously believe that holds no influence over Irish governments when dealing with suggestions from the EU? Really?

If you have some evidence the EU was actively calling for the regularisation scheme then provide it.

And yes you have discussed what you think my beliefs are here and actively said it in the thread

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the period leading up to the vote, and one of the reasons why people voted the way they did, were stories like this -

"One in six babies delivered in Dublin's Rotunda Hospital is born to an asylum seeker, new figures show. And many of the mothers have been in the country for just a few hours."

Eh, yeah and damned right that was a concern that one in six non EU "asylum seekers" with many of them showing up off the ferry with their waters breaking were clearly taking the piss out of our jus soli law loophole. Anchor babies summed them up pretty well. We were the only nation in Europe that had that law by the by.

None of that sentiment was a feature of the property boom that happened AFTER the vote about immigrants status.

The property boom started in the nineties, had a downturn between 00 and 02 and started to climb again.

Ireland experienced a period of more significant growth in employment in ALL sectors in the late 90’s and immigrants were doing all the low-paid, low-skilled jobs,

Well we'll gloss over the "all" part as the usual hyperbole, but even there the majority of migration was from the EU, Poland in particular who were filling such jobs. The hospitality industry for one. Quite the number of young Spanish and French in the mix too. Indeed today the vast majority of non Irish native born people living here are White Europeans, not that you'd guess that from the NGO's and other vested interests. Going by them you'd quite understandably believe that the majority of migrants/asylum seekers/refugees were were African, with a smattering of Middle Easterners thrown in and an even smaller number of East Asians. As I've noted more than once previously it seems the pro multicultists are just as obsessed with skin colour as any right wing neonazi and multiculturalism isn't quite diverse enough if it's mostly the pale of face.

If everyone were feeling newly minted again, nobody would give a shìte about immigration.

OK, let's take that position and one I would somewhat agree with. This is yet another one of the fundamental problems with western liberal multiculturalism. At best racism against those less like the natives decreases, but doesn't go away in times of economic upswing and increases in times of economic downturn. Multiculturalism always brings in more social problems and different ones on top of existing social problems in a society. There isn't one single example of any European nation that hasn't experienced this. Not a one. And in every single example too, Africans get the short end of the stick because they're seen as the most "other", obvious Muslims too. Now we can all join hands and naively sing of diversity, but reality has proven time and time and time again that it doesn't work that well at all. Least of all for many of the migrants. Indeed social problems increase over time as their kids and grandkids realise all too well and more than the naive locals can admit that while it may say it on their passport they're not quite Irish/German/British/French/Dutch/Swedish enough for a large percentage of the native population. Unless they're sports, movie, or music stars. They get somewhat of a pass.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

You’re not focusing on education or skills to be self-reliant in Ireland though. Immigrants with that education or skills don’t need support, they’re already self-reliant. There is no reason to be concerned about what manner of life they can have here when they arrive. It doesn’t matter whether they come from 3rd world nations or wherever they come from.

I agree... I put it in because it/they tend to be rolled out whenever people talk about the benefits of immigration.

There’s no “encouraging low skilled workers”, the fact is that there are labour shortages in low-skilled employment, which can’t be filled from the existing labour market, and that’s why an economy needs immigrants, in order to maintain those sectors and keep the economy growing - the benefit is to the economy, as opposed to focusing on whether or not it has any impact on the population of the host nation.

There is a shortage because the nature of how the Irish economy/society has shifted.. but these are not growing industries which are going to provide long-term employment for these low skilled workers. They're going to be relatively short term contracts (if there's a contract at all), likely seasonal, etc. The economy is growing due to the focus on tech, financial services, etc.. If anything, when you look at low-skilled industries or those with a high demand for labor, they're industries that aren't terribly successful. [To add something.. Yes, they might find work initially or perhaps even get a few years work in these kind of jobs. But what happens when new technology decreases the demand for workers, or the industry itself declines? Those people are still here needing to be supported)

As for the impact they might have on the population of the host nation, that wasn't in my post at all. Sure, it's something we've discussed previously.. but not this time around.

Again - there’s no need to start with people who can provide for themselves already, or their children, who are as much a drain on economic resources as any children, as are plenty of adults, regardless of their status as immigrants or natives. The biggest problem with a welfare state is that it discourages self-sufficiency, and that again would be the same regardless of a persons national identity or immigration status.

Again, you're arguing against a point that wasn't made. The issue is with those who don't have transferable skills, or are lacking in the education to be employed in Ireland. You keep coming back to the people who do have the skills/education to be independent... The point was that it would be better to have people who could provide for themselves, and their children, from which Ireland would benefit from both, parents and children. As opposed to the idea of having migrants who are a drain, while we wait for their children to possibly provide a return on that investment.

The new model is the one where immigrants who need it are provided with support in the same way as anyone who needs it is provided with support, and I don’t mean welfare benefits into the hand, but rather through policies which means spending money on putting structures in place and resources which will enable people to integrate into society and lift everyone up economically speaking, as opposed to creating a society where the wealth gap gets wider with every boom-bust cycle and each time it happens, the effects are more profound.

Which, in reality, is exactly the same as the old model. Great in theory, but poorly executed.

Yes, the long term benefits of providing support to immigrants does benefit the economy as a whole, and sure, it’s a long term investment, one that the UK has never made, and Germany already did it with German reunification in the 90’s, tore the arse out of the economy for a while, but the long-term initial investment paid off -

German reunification was an internal matter and not an issue relating to external migration. But even if we were to consider it as a valid point... the difference between West and East Germany is stark. There is a serious brain drain with most people heading to the west of Germany, because that's where most businesses are.. and.. little point going into it now. I'd recommend you take a look at just how bad East Germany is, and why..

Fact is, you'll be hard pressed to find any country that can really say that immigration has paid off, in the modern sense. Oh, I'm sure there's articles proclaiming that immigration is wonderful, but those articles tend to ignore most of the negatives just so that they can push the past multiculturalism is wonderful agenda. And we both know that there was such an agenda, when Merkel was pushing so hard for immigration in Germany, and by extension, in the rest of Europe.

I’m not talking about low-skilled or high-skilled immigrants when I talk about immigration, but rather immigration policies and the benefit to an economy as a whole. There’s plenty of research on the impact of immigration on an economy -

Yes, I know. It was covered quite well when I did economics as part of my degree. I'm also aware that the countries that tend to be covered are those with extensive demands for low-skilled labor, countries with a traditional infrastructure in manufacturing, industrial, farming etc. As opposed to considering the effect of nations that have moved so far away from the traditional industries as a core part of their economies. i.e. countries where tech, financial services, etc have become core elements...

Good lord... you said yourself that the EU had suggested to the Irish government for this to happen.

Do I really have to go back to asking you for direct quotes of what I supposedly said? (I assume we're still talking about the discussion over the last few pages?)

klaz I just don’t understand how you can say it’s naive to think the EU doesn’t have the ability to influence one of it’s smallest members, when our size really has nothing to do with anything as though the EU nationa are actually all in agreement that they’ll put pressure on the smaller nations. It just doesn’t work like that. That’s notwithstanding the fact that Ireland has rarely criticised EU policies we were never obligated to adhere to in the first place -

It appears that, perhaps because of the risk of being outvoted now that QMV applies, the UK and Ireland have been generally less willing to opt in to proposed legislation in the last two years. But it should be emphasized that the decision to opt out of proposed legislation means that the UK and Ireland cannot possibly be bound by a proposal (if it is adopted) without their consent. That risk only applies if the UK or Ireland choose to opt in to a proposal – and that decision is up to them. However, it is sometimes suggested that under the ‘opt-out’ system, the UK and Ireland will be pressured to opt in to legislation by other Member States, and this pressure might prove politically impossible to resist. But the evidence of ten years of applying the Title IV opt-out system is that this is simply not true. There is no evidence whatsoever that the UK and Ireland have ever been pressured to opt in to proposed or adopted legislation against their will. It could be added that the UK and Ireland have also not been pressured to abolish border controls, or to adopt other aspects of Schengen cooperation, or (outside the field of JHA) to adopt monetary union (in the UK’s case) without their consent. No doubt the other Member States, and the EU institutions, would prefer the UK and Ireland to opt fully in to all JHA measures, and (in the UK’s case) to opt in to monetary union too. But they have been willing to live with the UK’s and Ireland’s non-participation in many measures, just as the UK and Ireland have been willing to live with other Member States going ahead without them.

On the contrary, there are some cases where the UK wished to participate in EU measures, and was denied the ability to do so. So there has been forced exclusion, not forced inclusion. This happened in two cases: the Regulation establishing a European borders agency, and the Regulation establishing security standards for national passports (within the context of the standard EU format for these passports). The reason for the exclusion was that, in the view of the Council and the Commission, the UK could not opt in to these measures because they were adding to parts of the Schengen acquis in which the UK did not participate (ie, standard external border controls).

Put another way, in the Council’s and Commission’s view, the rules on participation in the Schengen acquis (the unanimous consent of the Schengen States) applied, rather than the rules on participation in the Title IV Protocol (the will of the UK alone). And anyway, the UK would have to opt in to all the Schengen rules on external border controls (with the consent of all the Schengen States) before it could opt in to the legislation building on those rules.

On the other hand, in the Lisbon Treaty negotiating mandate agreed in June 2007, the EU leaders clearly agreed that the current UK and Irish opt-out from immigration, asylum and civil law will be extended to cover policing and criminal law for the UK (section III, point 12 of the mandate). Considering that, as pointed out in the introduction, the extension of QMV, co-decision and enhanced powers for the Commission and the Court of Justice into the area of policing and criminal law is the biggest single change to the existing Treaties which would result from the Lisbon Treaty (or which would have resulted from the Constitutional Treaty), it is clear that the introduction of a British and Irish opt-out from this area of law is a major change from the text of the Constitutional Treaty.

It’s why, contrary to your earlier opinion about Ireland’s political virtue signalling, Ireland continues to thumb it’s nose up at the EU, the UN, the COE and the ECHR, on a wide range of issues, both social and economic, as opposed to this idea that we can be bullied into submission by the larger nations.

Yeah. You cant find anything and you did say what you think my beliefs are.

Terry Pratchet

It’s why, contrary to your earlier opinion about Ireland’s political virtue signalling, Ireland continues to thumb it’s nose up at the EU, the UN, the COE and the ECHR, on a wide range of issues, both social and economic, as opposed to this idea that we can be bullied into submission by the larger nations.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Nice post. Although, I will retain the belief that Ireland or other nations can be influenced by the EU due to the power it has to allocate resources. That is how politics works just about anywhere.

• Advertisement

You keep making accusations but when I ask for a direct quote, you switch. I give up. Fine. Whatever.

Its not accusations. You stated what you think my beliefs are.

Terry Pratchet

But klaz you’re putting them in there every time you say that it would be better to have people who could provide for themselves. They can’t do that if they’re not supported in being able to do so. It doesn’t matter whether they’re an immigrant or a native, that’s looking at the issue from an individual level, as opposed to looking at the issue from an economic level.

There is a demand for labour in low-skilled employment in a range of industries besides the traditional industries which required manual labour. Much of it is in large multinationals such as Amazon, Microsoft, Oracle, they don’t require transferable skills, just an ability to be able to follow training. It’s not rocket science. They are growing industries, and like any other industry - there are no guarantees of continuous employment. You’re asking for something there which you know doesn’t exist.

I know you have a degree in economics and that’s why I’m surprised like at times, because I’m thinking you must be aware of the concept of social mobility, so it’d be condescending for me to bring it up, but the whole point of it is to concentrate on educating the next generation so that they are in a better position to contribute to the economy than their parents were. They don’t have to be immigrants, but that’s the focus of this conversation at least, and that’s why I made the point about the impact on the host nation - because it stands to reason that in the future if they’ve all had the same opportunities, then Irish children ARE going to lose out in employment opportunities to second and third generation immigrants. Are you more concerned about economic growth by which an economy prospers, or are you more concerned about Irish jobs for Irish children… if they want them. It’s unreasonable and unrealistic to expect that employers should be expected to give a hoot about a persons nationality or prioritise Irish people in employment.

The difference between the old and the new model is that instead of just being focused on whether or not immigrants are permitted to enter the country, it’s more focused on supporting those who need it in the same way as Irish people who need it are given support, instead of contributing to what’s now euphemistically known as “the gig economy”. That’s the black economy for those who don’t speak newspeak. They’re still providing for themselves and their children, which is one of your concerns, but their future prospects are grim, as are those of their children, and that creates a long term drain on economic prosperity in the form of having to provide greater welfare supports. I propose that we implement the same as Germany - invest and take the hit for a couple of years, in the interests of future stable economic prosperity, as opposed to the boom and bust cycles based upon a false economy. It’s obviously not a popular suggestion because it means increasing taxes, and that’s never an election winner.

Merkel’s agenda wasn’t pushing multiculturalism, something which has been attributed to her by many people, it was simply that she wanted to demonstrate Germanys leadership in dealing with a crisis -

EDIT: I couldn’t find the article that Wibbs posted earlier, but Merkel’s intentions were nothing to do with pushing multiculturalism. Safe to say she didn’t care much for the idea -

Contrast that with Margaret Thatcher’s opinions on German reunification -

Thatcher, who carried in her handbag a map of Germany's 1937 borders to show others the "German problem", feared that its "national character", size and central location in Europe would cause the nation to be a "destabilizing rather than a stabilizing force in Europe". In December 1989, she warned fellow European Community leaders at a Strasbourgsummit that Kohl attended, "We defeated the Germans twice! And now they're back!" Although Thatcher had stated her support for German self-determination in 1985, she now argued that Germany's allies only supported reunification because they did not believe it would ever happen.

She was basically doing nothing more than stirring up shìte. Fact is, I’ve already given an example of multiculturalism in the modern sense which has paid off.

That was just one example off the top of my head, and of course opinions are going to differ on how successful it was or wasn’t and the failures of it and so on, but you hardly needed your economics degree to make you aware of the dangers of putting all your eggs in the one basket like we’re doing in Ireland by focusing on fintech and pharmaceutical industries to maintain the illusion that we are a thriving economy while ignoring the reality of industries like the childcare sector which employs a significant proportion of immigrants on low pay and shìtty employment conditions while their employers charge eye-watering amounts and then crib about how they’re going out of business without government support, while at the same time parents are calling on government to increase childcare subsidies!

It’s a crazy situation that again, you hardly need your economics degree to tell you is unsustainable long-term! If you’re talking about drains on the economy, there are far greater drains an economy than either immigrants or children.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Paid employees of quangos

But klaz you’re putting them in there every time you say that it would be better to have people who could provide for themselves. They can’t do that if they’re not supported in being able to do so. It doesn’t matter whether they’re an immigrant or a native, that’s looking at the issue from an individual level, as opposed to looking at the issue from an economic level.

I have lived extensively abroad, and never once, have I received any support from the governments in those countries. I didn't need it, because I had the education and skills to obtain a work visa with a company or university which paid a salary which, more than, covered any costs I had. When I lost a job, I needed to leave the country or get another job, because there were no government supports.. and nobody expected there to be. Without those skills/education, I would have been refused both the jobs and the visas... and in most countries, they're rather quick to deport those who no longer have a valid visa (and unable to acquire a new one quickly).

It does matter that migrants have the skills/education so that they can provide for themselves. And referring to the natives is irrelevant to the discussion we're having since we're discussing immigration.

There is a demand for labour in low-skilled employment in a range of industries besides the traditional industries which required manual labour. Much of it is in large multinationals such as Amazon, Microsoft, Oracle, they don’t require transferable skills, just an ability to be able to follow training. It’s not rocket science. They are growing industries, and like any other industry - there are no guarantees of continuous employment. You’re asking for something there which you know doesn’t exist.

I'm asking for a reasonable expectation of being employed in any industry which provides an income that they can live on, without needing governmental/welfare supports.

The traditional industries tend to be low paid, because they're struggling, so there's little guarantee that such employees will remain able to pay for themselves, even if they're able to do so in the beginning. As such, it makes sense for these people to be on limited visas, and not have citizenship extended to them. I'm perfectly fine with low skilled workers being allowed into the country when there is work for them... but once that work dries up, then, they should be on a plane going elsewhere.

As for Amazon, Oracle, etc, are all tech companies. The only low skilled jobs tend to be in customer service, or sales, which as time goes by, increasingly expect applicants to have a university education. Even when you look at warehousing positions, increasingly there are expectations that potential workers have a variety of qualifications, such as forklift licenses, etc..... Unless, they have language skills, which is definitely possible, but again, these jobs tend to have a very high turnover. I did customer service for a few years while I went to College.. and it's not an area where most people stay in for long, unless you get into management, in which case, you'd need some form of formal education.

I know you have a degree in economics and that’s why I’m surprised like at times, because I’m thinking you must be aware of the concept of social mobility, so it’d be condescending for me to bring it up, but the whole point of it is to concentrate on educating the next generation so that they are in a better position to contribute to the economy than their parents were.

Nope. My degree is in Financial Management, and I have an MBA. Both courses had economics as a subject. I'd have the same awareness of economics as most people in business, I'm not any kind of expert on the subject. 😀 TBH Economic tended to bore me to tears once it went past the surface theory. So, don't worry about any kind condescension, because I do actually respect your views. I just disagree with you when it comes to immigration, and it's value to a nation under certain circumstances.

Are you more concerned about economic growth by which an economy prospers, or are you more concerned about Irish jobs for Irish children… if they want them. It’s unreasonable and unrealistic to expect that employers should be expected to give a hoot about a persons nationality or prioritise Irish people in employment.

Which I didn't suggest. If migrants are capable of acquiring employment before they arrive in Ireland, then, I'm entirely supportive of them. My concern is what happens when they no longer have work, but remain in Ireland, needing government support to live. As I said before, these people should be on limited visas... and not eligible for citizenship, until they have improved their situation. I'm not pushing for preferential treatment for Irish people over migrants in work availability. I'm pushing for harder screening of those who get to stay in Ireland.

I propose that we implement the same as Germany - invest and take the hit for a couple of years, in the interests of future stable economic prosperity, as opposed to the boom and bust cycles based upon a false economy. It’s obviously not a popular suggestion because it means increasing taxes, and that’s never an election winner.

But you're still talking about allowing in people who aren't capable of supporting themselves in the hope that they can be educated, and their children will also succeed, therefore discounting the investment/past costs of them being here. It's very humanitarian.. but I don't see it as being viable in the long run, considering just how many people want to leave the rest of the world and come to Europe. If we didn't live in a land with limited resources, I would wholeheartedly agree with such an initiative, but we don't. Resources are finite, and we should be doing our best to improve the lot of the native group, and those foreign born already here.... long before we consider extending our hands to others. Fix the serious problems within our own society and economies first.. Then look to help those outside.

EDIT: I couldn’t find the article that Wibbs posted earlier, but Merkel’s intentions were nothing to do with pushing multiculturalism. Safe to say she didn’t care much for the idea -

Merkel pushed multiculturalism because it justified her own desire to bring in cheap labor for the German economy. However, there were plenty of other politicians, activists, etc who were very happy to push the "moral" side of multiculturalism. After all, opposition to such a thing would make you something of a racist. We had more than a decade of that nonsense coming out of Europe.

That was just one example off the top of my head, and of course opinions are going to differ on how successful it was or wasn’t and the failures of it and so on, but you hardly needed your economics degree to make you aware of the dangers of putting all your eggs in the one basket like we’re doing in Ireland by focusing on fintech and pharmaceutical industries to maintain the illusion that we are a thriving economy while ignoring the reality of industries like the childcare sector which employs a significant proportion of immigrants on low pay and shìtty employment conditions while their employers charge eye-watering amounts and then crib about how they’re going out of business without government support, while at the same time parents are calling on government to increase childcare subsidies!

German reunification wasn't a success. The West is far stronger and more successful than the East, and should you ever talk to Germans themselves about it, you'll find a lot of resentment in the Western part of Germany for the taxes they've had to pay to keep inefficient services/businesses afloat in the East.

But yes, I agree that the Irish economy has too many eggs in one or two baskets, with an over reliance on multinationals. Ireland is doing very well on paper, but there are plenty of cracks showing throughout the economy, and within society itself. The continuous decline of the health service being one of the most obvious. Dunno where this all fits into our discussion though.

It’s a crazy situation that again, you hardly need your economics degree to tell you is unsustainable long-term! If you’re talking about drains on the economy, there are far greater drains an economy than either immigrants or children.

That's the third, fourth? time you've referred to the economics degree. As if having one would change anything, although I only said that I'd studied it previously.

The last line is typical of posters who claim "well, what about all the Irish people who do X, Y, Z?" and so we can't extend any criticism/limitations to others. The same with the logic that jumps to the extreme, as if we're discussing excluding all migrants... or children. Why separate children from the overall group? Come on. Tugging on the heart strings doesn't work on me.

There are far greater drains on the economy than migrants. TBF I didn't say that migration was a net loss. Immigration properly handled can be incredibly good for a country.. but you want to indulge in humanitarian gestures in addition to the healthy economic aspects of focusing on the skilled/educated.

I want the focus to be on the quality of the immigrant, based on their skills/education. So that we as a nation don't need to worry about them succeeding because the odds are stacked, in that they probably will be successful enough to consistently support themselves, and not end up at the bottom of our society. That's not about race or nationality. It's about being sustainable and not adding to the drain on our resources, so that we can look to fixing the other problems within our economy and society.. rather than borrowing trouble. We don't have the problems that other countries have with different ethnic groups because the numbers are still relatively low... and if we can be reasonably sure that migrants are able to provide for themselves and their families (as opposed to working on minimum wage or worse), then they'll be more likely to remain happy, and stable in Ireland. Compared to the UK, France or Germany, where migrants often end up at the bottom of society, and struggle to survive.

I know you hate it klaz but I’m going to selectively quote you here just to show that you’re being unfair in your expectations. On the one hand -

“referring to the natives is irrelevant to the discussion we’re having since we’re discussing immigration”, and then -

“we should be doing our best to improve the lot of the native group”…

I mean… how, what am I supposed to do with that like?

I don't mind you doing it, although, I'd point out the context matters. When you pose a statement or question referring to the native groups, or that immigrants should receive the same benefits of the natives... what am I supposed to say? Shouldn't I try to stick to your and my past posts, to stop the discussion from deviating so far from the original posting?

You didn’t need the support, but again that’s you as an individual. What I’m talking about is putting in place structures so that people who need the support will get it in order to support themselves, whatever that support should consist of. You’re asking for an expectation of employment that provides an income they can live on without needing Government/welfare supports, which is setting a different standard for immigrants than the natives, or the people of the host country, or whatever you want to call them. When I point out that there are industry sectors which are offering employment - not good enough because it’s not long term employment. Is there any evidence to suggest that they can’t do the very same as you did and look for other employment, or training, to gain those transferable skills? That’s what I’m suggesting when I suggest that we put structures in place to provide these supports.

I’m not discounting the costs of them being here, I’m saying when they’re here, that they are provided with the same supports which are available to everyone, as opposed to restricting their access to supports based upon their immigration status, and therefore disabling them from gaining the ability to support themselves. We’ve gone some way towards it in permitting asylum seekers to gain employment, it’s a start, but there’s still a ways to go -

It’s a ridiculous point to suggest that we have to consider how many people there are in the rest of the world that want to come to Europe. I mean, you made a point about context, and in the context of Ireland’s immigration policies, I don’t think we actually do have to consider the amount of people around the world who want to come to Europe. We already do what we can for the native group, it’s not as though the two things are mutually exclusive to the point where we actually DO have to suggest that we can’t allow any more unskilled, uneducated immigrants until we’ve fixed our own problems first. That sounds like an unreasonable expectation given that you can always point to any issue in society and say we have to fix this first before we allow in any more unskilled, uneducated immigrants. It’s silly, really.

I have no doubt in a country with a population of 86 million people, if I were to talk to them I would find plenty of people who are deeply dissatisfied with having to pay more taxes, and by that same token I have no doubt I would meet many more people who would suggest that German reunification has been a success -

Views and life satisfaction

According to a 2019 survey conducted by Pew Research Center, approximately 90 percent of Germans living in both the West and East believe that reunification was good for Germany, with slightly more in East than West Germany supporting it. Around 83 percent of East Germans approve of and 13 percent disapprove of eastern Germany's transition to a market economy, with the rest saying they weren't sure. Life satisfaction in both the East and West has substantially increased since 1991, with 15 percent of East Germans placing their life satisfaction somewhere between 7 to 10 on a 0 to 10 scale in 1991 changing to 59 percent in 2019. For West Germans, this change over the same time period was from 52 to 64 percent.

That’s why I said in my post that of course opinions are going to differ on how successful it was or wasn’t and the failures of it and so on, because there’s no agreement on a definition of success which everyone will agree on. I could come up with a thousand examples of multiculturalism where it just works, and nope - you’d still point out that you want an example of where it’s been successful before you’ll concede that we should allow uneducated, unskilled immigrants into Ireland, or Europe, or wherever. It’s simply unreasonable.

You’re reading far too much into the emphasis I placed on your degree in economics, or MBA in Financial Management at least. All I meant was that given you do have a background in economics, I expect you’d already know a lot of stuff that I shouldn’t really have to explicitly explain, which is why I made the point that you hardly needed a degree in economics to be aware of the points I was referring to, I figured this is just basic stuff. I’ve interviewed guys with MBAs and came away thinking “I don’t care about his qualifications, I want the name of his fcuking dentist!”… he did have an amazing set of sparklers though, to be fair 😂

I’m not separating children from any group either. I was speaking in the context of the point you had made about immigrants (at this stage do I still have to specify “uneducated, unskilled”? Bit tedious but I’ll do it if you insist!), and them being a drain on the economy. Your point about there being finite resources is pretty much along the same lines - what are considered drains on the economy or drains on resources. That’s all, there was no tugging of heartstrings or suggesting you were racist. I made the point in an earlier post that while some people might refer to it as racism, I see it as resentment of immigrants, the same sort of resentment there is against anyone who a person perceives is a drain on economic resources. It’s not racism, their perception is based upon the person or group being a drain on economic resources, could be immigrants, foreigners, homeless, unemployed, children… you get the idea, goes back to what you were saying about fixing our own problems first - you’ll always have ample opportunity to point to issues and say “but this isn’t fixed yet, or that isn’t fixed yet”, like you actually have any interest in fixing problems and not just using them as an excuse to suggest they need to be fixed first before we do anything else. You know it’s unreasonable, impractical and unrealistic. It’s not as though Irish society or our Government doesn’t actually have the resources or the wherewithal to address two social issues at once. Expecting that we need to fix the rest of Europe before you see fit to permit all the people in the world that want to enter Europe? That’s not a stretch or an extreme at all though? Come on now, you can’t expect that was supposed to be taken seriously?

The reason you see migrants struggling at the bottom of the ladder in other countries is the same reason anyone else or any other group in society is at the bottom of the ladder struggling - it’s not because their Governments lack resources or anything else, it’s simply because nobody really gives a shìt, but they’re a handy excuse to bring up to counter any suggestions of doing anything for any other group as if we have to address social issues in series rather than in parallel, like is actually done in reality.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Going to cut this down, and Less repetition of viewpoints.

That’s what I’m suggesting when I suggest that we put structures in place to provide these supports.

I'm asking that people obtain the skills/education needed to migrate to a country, like Ireland, before they ever leave their own country... or acquire them elsewhere first. As such there is no need or expectation that Ireland provides supports or education to migrants, in the dubious attempt of uplifting them, while also supporting them. It makes more sense to have people prove themselves capable of that before they even arrive on our shores.

I’m not discounting the costs of them being here, I’m saying when they’re here, that they are provided with the same supports which are available to everyone

I didn't say that migrants should be treated differently to anyone else once they arrive in the country legally, except that they wouldn't be eligible for citizenship until they'd proven themselves worthy of it. Namely, that they have the skills/education, to increase the chance that they would remain employable in a self-sustainable manner.

It’s a ridiculous point to suggest that we have to consider how many people there are in the rest of the world that want to come to Europe.

Ridiculous to you, not so to me, considering your approach to immigration.

That sounds like an unreasonable expectation given that you can always point to any issue in society and say we have to fix this first before we allow in any more unskilled, uneducated immigrants. It’s silly, really.

No, it's simply inconvenient, and doesn't match with your expectations. There should always be greater demand for unskilled labor in an economy, than there is to meet that demand, because of the nature of those positions. They're low paid, usually temporary, often without job security, and we must take into account that once these migrants are here, and have gained the supports to stay here, they're not going to leave. Even when there are jobs available, many of these people will need state supplements on top of their wages, to maintain a basic lifestyle. That means should the market dry up, and jobs become scarce, they're reliant on state supports to live. Which results in a further drain on resources, and while you would like to believe that their children would make up the shortfall, I don't believe that to be the case.

you’d still point out that you want an example of where it’s been successful before you’ll concede that we should allow uneducated, unskilled immigrants into Ireland, or Europe, or wherever. It’s simply unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable to want a successful example that directly relates to immigration... you gave an example relating to the unification of Germans.

You’re reading far too much into the emphasis I placed on your degree in economics, or MBA in Financial Management at least. All I meant was that given you do have a background in economics, I expect you’d already know a lot of stuff that I shouldn’t really have to explicitly explain,

Did I ask you to explain them? You assumed that I must not have understood what you referred to, because I disagreed with you. As for reading too much into something, I do tend to notice the manner in which people write things, and when the tone changes...

I’m not separating children from any group either. I was speaking in the context of the point you had made about immigrants (at this stage do I still have to specify “uneducated, unskilled”? Bit tedious but I’ll do it if you insist!), and them being a drain on the economy,

Expecting that we need to fix the rest of Europe before you see fit to permit all the people in the world that want to enter Europe? That’s not a stretch or an extreme at all though? Come on now, you can’t expect that was supposed to be taken seriously?

That's somewhat disingenuous to suggest I'm demanding some kind of constant reminder of the difference.

No, I'm not expecting the problems within our society or economy to be fixed. However, the finite resources is relevant, considering the range of problems facing Irelands infrastructure, and economy... and I don't agree with your logic regarding immigration. More people increases the demands on existing systems, systems that are already struggling. When migrants are capable of acquiring decent jobs, they pay for themselves, and thus provide to the overall maintenance of the system. Migrants that struggle to pay for themselves, are more likely to need to access that support system.

And drop the comments about expecting to take things seriously or ideas being ridiculous/silly/whatever... because it's dismissive, and somewhat insulting. You started in the previous post, and have further applied it in this one. I've ignored it before, but do you really want me to start answering your posts in the same manner? You won't like it.

The reason you see migrants struggling at the bottom of the ladder in other countries is the same reason anyone else or any other group in society is at the bottom of the ladder struggling - it’s not because their Governments lack resources or anything else, it’s simply because nobody really gives a shìt, but they’re a handy excuse to bring up to counter any suggestions of doing anything for any other group as if we have to address social issues in series rather than in parallel, like is actually done in reality.

I see migrants struggling at the bottom because they're not prepared to live in a first world nation which doesn't have the range of unskilled labor positions that suit them. They come from societies where education is restricted or simply of such poor quality, and so they struggle to acquire positions which pay enough to provide for themselves, leaving them dependent on external sources to make up the difference. Most migrants with decent education/skills don't struggle to provide for themselves, and they're the people we should want coming and staying in Ireland. It's really that simple.

You might want to complicate the issue, but, I will return to the belief that most migrants should be on temporary visas with little expectation of staying permanently in Ireland (leaving on their own initiative or being deported when visa's end). Those migrants who remain, should already have the education to obtain employment that provides for themselves without government supports, and I welcome them with open arms. By all means, support those migrants who qualify to stay in Ireland the same as any other person qualified already to live in Ireland.... regardless of their past nationality, race, or whatever. However, I won't agree with the belief that we should encourage unskilled migrants to come to Ireland, give them the right to live here permanently, and then, add them to the existing group of people on the bottom of society due to their lack of ability to make an income, and improve their situation.

It's not people from different countries you have an issue with, just those from a lower 'social class' then yourself Klaz?

You did state it before of course, was it something like.....children from lower socio economic groups will never amount anything? Will grow up exactly like their parents?

Something very dismissive and.insulting like that.

• Advertisement

It's not people from different countries you have an issue with, just those from a lower 'social class' then yourself Klaz?

It's simply amazing how many times I have explained my objections... and then you come up with this drivel. Where did I talk about social class being important? There's no reference to social class in any of my posts regarding immigration.

You did state it before of course, was it something like.....children from lower socio economic groups will never amount anything? Will grow up exactly like their parents?

Nope. I have never said that children from lower socio-economic groups will never amount to anything... because I definitely don't believe that to be the case. But then, I suspect that's why you said "was it something like".

Something very dismissive and.insulting like that.

Actually, your own post is dismissive and insulting because you've sought to twist what was said just to score some imaginary points.

klaz I’ll make it brief and then I’ll leave it because we’re only going to continue talking at cross purposes otherwise.

I didn’t assume I had to explain anything to you, you brought up the idea that you’d learned about whatever during your economics degree, and my point was that you hardly needed an economics degree to be aware of what I assume is basic stuff that anyone understands or is aware of.

I also wasn’t being either dismissive or insulting, I didn’t think I was being either, and it certainly wasn’t my intention. I’d no idea you were that sensitive. I don’t expect to have to be so formal with anyone on boards, and sometimes I do forget that I have to be, as opposed to imagining we’re having nothing more than a pub conversation and shooting the breeze. It’s not as though I expect Ireland’s immigration policies to be formed from what I always assume is an informal conversation where I can say things like so and so is silly, or I’ll take flak when I say something and someone points out how monumentally stupid it is - it’s all good as far as I was ever concerned, nobody’s going to fall out over a bit of back and forth whether it’s robust or ridiculous, I’ll still love you in the morning 🤨

The reason I asked about having to be explicit about who we were talking about is because I had assumed we weren’t talking about immigrants who arrive here legally, or immigrants with a certain set of skills, I had assumed we understood who we were talking about was unskilled, uneducated, illegal immigrants, economic migrants, whatever you want to call them - people who are here illegally, that it’s already costing the State billions to keep, because the State has humanitarian and legal obligations to protect asylum seekers, economic immigrants, refugees, whatever you want to call them. Before you accuse me of explaining things you’re already aware of again, you don’t seem to have any regard for the Geneva Convention. I figure it’s inconvenient for your argument as opposed to ignorance of the Convention on your part.

The issue isn’t complicated from my perspective at all, it’s really bloody simple, and I’ve never been shy about the point or had any hidden agendas or anything else - people need help, we have an obligation to help them, regardless or whatever else like the idea that it would be a drain our finite resources. It is, but if that’s the basis of your argument against supporting illegal, unskilled, uneducated asylum seekers, refugees, economic migrants, then the same argument can be applied to any drain on resources, and there are many. I’m more concerned about the return on investment, and it’s not something tangible, and it is an enormous risk, but the benefits to a society and to the economy have been argued already - they’re of no value to people who simply disagree. I get that, it’s not that it’s inconvenient you disagree with me or anything else, it’s that I do think your position IS unreasonable, but is there any movement at all? That’s what I was hoping for, not looking to call you racist or whatever else or insulting you or any of the rest of it.

Rather than wasting any more time and energy I’d simply just not bother trying to reason with you, because there comes a point when I realise I’m getting bogged down trying to move one person, when there are plenty of people who are moving already and could do with the support, and I’d be better off expending my finite energy and resources investing in them than wasting any more time and energy trying to reason with you. Don’t take that personally, it’s not you, it’s me.

' people who have grown up in poverty or near to it, are more than likely to leap at a chance to suck at a free nipple if they can get away with it'

Yep, you're right, it was much worse the way you did actually say it.

I was going to leave it klaz but fcuk it, you keep doing this and it’s not just irritating or unreasonable, that kind of thing I can tolerate, but this, it’s just downright arseholery -

It's simply amazing how many times I have explained my objections... and then you come up with this drivel. Where did I talk about social class being important? There's no reference to social class in any of my posts regarding immigration.

Every bloody time, you’re just vague enough that you leave yourself enough wiggle room to say “where did I say this?” or “where did I say that?”, when you make vague references to “fixing our own problems first” and so on.

It allows you to do the “where did I say this?” thing, and that’s why I quoted two contradictory statements from within the same post where you said we’re not talking about the natives, and later in the same post we have to consider natives as a group. It was within the same bloody post, and then when I’m pointing out how it’s clearly frustrating, you make the point that I’m not considering the context in which we’re having the discussion or something like that. I’m not going to go back and quote what you said directly because it’s tedious as fcuk, and you know it is, it’s precisely why you want people to do it so the conversation gets bogged down over insignificant minutiae, rather than progressing towards anything even remotely resembling a reasonable discussion.

It might be considered worse... but it was decidedly different to what you claimed before.

Are you going to prove or commit to debating to show that I was wrong in what I said in that post?

Every bloody time, you’re just vague enough that you leave yourself enough wiggle room to say “where did I say this?” or “where did I say that?”, when you make vague references to “fixing our own problems first” and so on.

Oddly enough, I consider what I write to be rather specific. Sometimes I am inaccurate with the terminology I use, and occasionally, my perception on the meaning of certain phrases is different from others, but I wouldn't consider what I write to be vague. But then, I expect posters to quote and address the content of that quote as opposed to what I seem to mean to them.

The funny thing, for me at least, is that the claim you make above, could easily be applied to you. You've left yourself plenty of wiggle room, and often drift considerably between posts.

It allows you to do the “where did I say this?” thing, and that’s why I quoted two contradictory statements from within the same post where you said we’re not talking about the natives, and later in the same post we have to consider natives as a group. It was within the same bloody post, and then when I’m pointing out how it’s clearly frustrating, you make the point that I’m not considering the context in which we’re having the discussion or something like that. I’m not going to go back and quote what you said directly because it’s tedious as fcuk, and you know it is, it’s precisely why you want people to do it so the conversation gets bogged down over insignificant minutiae, rather than progressing towards anything even remotely resembling a reasonable discussion.

Sure, it does. I can ask "where did I say this", because many times the posters are making accusations based on reading between the lines, or taking sentences out of the context of the quoted piece (which is the context). You used my response to Bubblypop as the basis for this objection. You don't think there is a major difference between the post he quoted, and the accusation he originally made? Cause I certainly do.

And again, the funny thing for me, is that you accuse me of things I would consider you, yourself, doing. Dragging discussions away from the original objection, interjecting extra bits, so that you can argue something else entirely.

Let's keep it simple. If my posting habits/style bother you so much, don't address posts to me. You might have noticed that I had stopped seeking to engage you in discussions, whereas previously I had done it fairly often. It's because I don't appreciate your manner of argument, and I don't need the judgmental tone (applied to me, or my posts) that invariably comes when we discuss things.

Sure, I’m fine with keeping it simple -

When bubblypop made the point that your objections appear to be based upon social class, you wanted an explicit reference to where you said those exact words. When bubblypop provided evidence to support the point - “no no, that’s different”, not a direct quote either, and then you make out that bubblypop has to show you were wrong in what you said, when that wasn’t the point.

It’s like wrestling with a wet bar of soap!

Strange.. I consider the difference to be rather obvious. There shouldn't need to be any "reading between the lines" involved. Deal with what people have actually written. Exactly. There's no need to expand beyond that. I try not to do it to others, and I expect the same extended to myself.

Not seeking to argue over this. It's simply the way I am on boards. If people can't accept it, they can ignore me, or simply not address/respond to my posts.

Strange.. I consider the difference to be rather obvious. There shouldn't need to be any "reading between the lines" involved. Deal with what people have actually written. Exactly. There's no need to expand beyond that. I try not to do it to others, and I expect the same extended to myself.

No disrespect meant klaz but frankly you don’t try hard enough when you think my objective is to insult you or anything else. You do plenty of reading between the lines in ways that from my perspective it’s impossible that you could have read whatever I said the way you did - I don’t have to worry about explaining because I consider it condescending to explain to someone I know has a background in economics, and then I’m insulting you? You should know well that’s never my intention. If I’m ripping the piss out of something it’s far more obvious, like when the poster made the point about illegal immigrants using public services, the example of streetlighting was straight out of Brass Eye for it’s insincerity, ‘twas fcuking hilarious though, and fair play to the poster for their brass neck if nothing else 😂

Not seeking to argue over this. It's simply the way I am on boards. If people can't accept it, they can ignore me, or simply not address/respond to my posts.

Or, they could point out that you’re being ridiculous.

• Advertisement

No disrespect meant klaz but frankly you don’t try hard enough when you think my objective is to insult you or anything else

Noted. (I don't agree with most of it, but I'll take the time to actually consider it). However, I think we're finished with this.

Advertisement