Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

No different to where we are now , seen as after 6 months one is considered unvaccinated, can people not see this is a bit of a stretch now?!?

Yes well said, rational has gone out the window since Jan of this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To start throwing accusations of corruption at the EMA etc is really going down the rabbit hole of conspiracy.

I didn't, read what I wrote again. The "Whatever about the EMA" part should have given the game away. As for the "etc" part, nothing I wrote about the American FDA is untrue or "conspiracy". They're historical facts. Recent history too. It's an organisation that has been mired in various scandals for years, mostly down to undue influence from industry and politics rushing stuff to market. But again we're back to seeing what we want to see.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Right, so your saying the FDA approved these because of corruption and you added the EMA to that statement … ? Sure muddy the waters by implication!

They're all the same, right? 👀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So you're saying... And I thought that meme had a sell by date.[insert facepalm here]. Look we may as well just agree to disagree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

You seriously think that if nobody got vaccinated we would be in the same position today?

Thats mad,Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

why are people saying the vaccines reduce transmission?!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I think we're seeing the limitations of science right now in a very public way.

I'm not saying science won't eventually get a handle on this virus, but we seem to be stuck between a rock and hard place tbh.

Go hard headed with the science, and risk spending another few years in this sh!tshow. Or accept to a certain degree, that you can't just put people's lives on hold indefinitely while you wait for perfection.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It depends on what you mean by "transmission".

If you mean "reduction in prevalence though vaccine-induced partial herd immunity", they do.

If you mean "what happens in the case of a confirmed index case within a household based on the vaccination status of the index case only" then yes, there is limited evidence of an effect.

How do we know?, post links if you can, I do think vaccines had a big impact on lessening hospitalizations certainly

It was coming into the summer when vaccine roll out took good flow, in 2020 summer c19 pretty much died out, 2 cases, 5 cases. 0 one day too. I think it's a massive shame that the vaccines and certs, didn't quash further restrictions. I believed, and was led as we all were once immunity levels were high, all would return to 2018/19 freedoms in life.

It didn't though ...

I know so many people who had a relatively bad dose of c19 in bed for a week or so and it took 2 weeks to leave, they are all vaccinated. still missed 10 days work. etc.

• Advertisement

still if he had been vaccinated then he might not have got it and passed it on to his wife and child. Yes the other child may have brought it in to the household but it is a number game. if you get enough people immunised you can get ahead of the virus.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117706334/#Comment_117706334

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Because it does.

Vaccinated people are transmissible for a lot less than unvaccinated people, this the rate of transmission is reduced if you are vaccinated

This stuff isn't hard

Wibbs is correct re: FDA.

What's your opinion on Ursela Von Der Leyen's suggestion of mandatory vaccinations across the EU? Her husband just happens to be Medical Director of a biotech firm working on.... Covid-19 vaccines. Coincidence?

The WHO is heavily funded by people with financial interests in vaccines. Coincidence?

Want me to go on? Or we too far down the "rabbit hole" for you? 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So you've got that the President of the EU is abusing her position to help her husband who works for a pharmaceutical company and that the WHO are abusing something because they are partly funded by health companies.

I think if you want to go on, you need to switch forums and outlay your theory completely rather than going with innuendo and poorly researched statements.

But I'm betting that you don't have anything coherent beyond that and you'll stick with ill-researched innuendo.

Wibbs is correct re: FDA.

The FDA can be shítehawks alright. TBH I tend to avoid US media and often US based studies because it's a culture where medicine and medical science is extremely tightly linked with finance and the almighty dollar and industry holds so much sway over things including academia that I'm never quite sure if there's a slant to things. Take the subject of the thread, boosters. Take Janssen. Before the Moderna/Pfizer jabs showed a drop off in protection in Israel, Janssen were releasing studies that showed protection increasing over time and out to eight months(while casually walking past less efficacy initially). Then boosters dropped. Then Janssen come back with, ah well our studies remain in play of course but boosters, oh yeah good idea, but at six to eight months for the best impact. But they didn't object to at three months either. The CDC said boosters for all and at the same time said all current vaccines give protection. Mixed messages all over the place. Sure how are we better here. the week Leo V had "profound concern" over the J&J it turned out the government spent a few milllion gifting 500,000 doses of the apparently pretty crap sell by date of three months vaccine to Nigeria. There have been politics all over this pandemic and the response to it from the start, not least with vaccines.

The EMA on the other hand are far more trustworthy. Even in the opioid crisis the FDA were helping the drug companies draft the labels and resisted changing them for over a decade, with FDA guys and gals signing off on dodgy approvals, leaving the FDA and walking into executive positions on big salaries in the same drug companies. Conflict of interest doesn't begin to describe it.

However when three US companies tried to get their dodgy drugs into European markets with fewer warnings the Germans and the French told them to get stuffed in no uncertain terms and actually ramped up the warnings on the labels.

What exactly is "poorly researched" about the facts I presented? 😄

Are you suggesting the continuous connections between pharmaceutical companies and policy makers/influencers is coincidental? You do realize the pharmaceutical industry is the biggest lobby group of the US Government, right? 😄

I think you're trying to deliberately shut down the conversation, as opposed to just being incredibly naive.

Good luck anyway 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Allinall

One major difference.

We didn’t have Delta last year.

You are making baseless claims that the President of the E.U. is trying to enrich her Husband and indirectly herself. Not a shred of proof. Von der Leyen has no interest in accumulating wealth.

Delta is a much weakened version on the Alpha variant, more transmissible less virulent, omicron is even a watered down version of that, so as expected it's weakening itself into a heavy cold. Great news tbh, more people will catch it then have natural immunities. We are lucky in the main that it has watered/weakened out this much.

• Advertisement

Legit LOL'd. Did she tell you herself she has "no interest in accumulating wealth"? 😄

You should probably ask her about the various corruption/cronyism she was accused of by members of her own government whilst serving as German Defense Minister 😄

Anyway, not the thread for continuing this. Have a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yes, continue it on it's own thread rather than trying to bring other threads off topic all the time with your under researched innuendo. Or run away, whichever you can stand over and pretend to go out of on your own terms 🤣😂

You are a despicable mud slinger and what do you know of her time in National German politics as an outsider. She may not have been a particularly effective Minister for Defence in a Country which is underfunding its Military but there is no way she is corrupt. Off to the conspiracy theories forums with this drivel and leave the Adults to talk.

We hope that Omicron is to Covid-19 as Cowpox is a cure for Smallpox; That would be a great outcome and not delusionally optimistic.

If it isn't this variant that is sufficiently weak then it might be the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well, that made me LOL!

Here's a tip: There are very few politicians not interested in accumulating wealth, and those that opt out of that interest don't get within an asses roar of the levers of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Any evidence that Delta is a much weakened version of Alpha in the absence of vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Something I find interesting, and is rarely talked about, is that some of the worst affected nations in the world are also the ones that have the strongest scientific communities and strongest healthcare / hospitals.

Not drawing any big sweeping conclusions from this, but it's just very interesting. One thing that does worry me, is our over-reliance on medicine and vaccines in the western world in general. Could we be weakening our natural defenses somewhat by creating a pill popping culture? I would particularly look at the Americans in this regard, and the way their cultural norms tend to spread to the rest of the western world.

Medicine does have it's place of course. I'm certainly not anti-vax by any means. Yearly boosters would worry me in this regard, however, along with all the other vaccines and medicine that people are taking. And of course it's not just this virus that we have to worry about in regard to our immune systems. It's the one's that might come along after covid that could be far more virulent - like a supercharged Ebola / MERS etc.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Is there any evidence at all that employing vaccines "weaken our natural defences"? Vaccines generally work by stimulating or leveraging our natural defences, and that's what they are designed to do, so it would be extremely surprising if they had the opposite effect.

In this case, we know that unvaccinated people contract Covid far more readily than vaccinated people, and tend to suffer more severely when they do contract it, and are more likely to die of it, all of which contradicts the notion that being unvaccinated means that you have stronger "natural defences".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

We're sicker than people in the developing world because our vast wealth allows us to sit on our arses all day eating hyper-processed food and taking advantage of an abundance of entertainment options.

Despite this, we live much longer overall (and therefore get sicker with age) than our counterparts in the developing world because we have access to lifesaving medicine, not least of which is childhood vaccination that has saved untold lives.

The average age of death with Covid in Ireland is 83 last I checked. The average life expectancy in Africa is 64.

In other words, people in developing countries die of other causes long before they're at the age to be vulnerable to Covid-19.

By all means do the cross-fit and eat the kale—eating well and moving more are generally good for health—but vaccines are not "weakening" anyone's immune system, and no diabetic is worse off for the presence of lifesaving insulin. Quite the opposite.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Advertisement