Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Older controllers used to use metal bits in the thumbsticks and those are made out of plastic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Go online, go through the steps of reporting the problem with the controller - there's a couple of questions related to the problem you're experiencing to answer. Get the code at the end. Email the code along with your issue and serial number on the back of the controller (usually starts with G with a 16 digit number iirc) to support@ie.playstation.com.

You'll get sorted out with a return label and steps to get it sorted within a day or two. Much handier than trying to get through on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just got the SSD installed and being picked up okay anyway. Speed seemed to be just under 6000MB/s.

And just because I was reminded of this song for obvious reasons, I'll post it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Young lad looking for a new headset.

He has a ps4 but getting a ps5.

Would you advise getting the official Sony wireless headset, or could a third party wired one do just as well? Does it have any issues using up USB ports or anything like that?

The Sony wireless one is grand, nothing more. If I was buying again I'd spend a bit more and get the Steel Series Arctis P7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

The PS4 Sony one also works on PS5 as that’s what I use and it’s excellent. The new one 3D pulse thing for PS5 is €100. That’s my Xmas pressie to me !

Thanks. He had the ps4 one and broke it!

I see Turtle beach ones in Smyths for quite small money, wondering would it do him? Doesn't need anything too fancy, as long as he can chat to his mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For €100, the Pulse is the best. Those cheaper turtlebeach ones are usually analogue, so just left and right and he wouldn't get the full 3D audio experience. I've had mine since day 1 and use it for 6-9 hours every night. I think it's amazing. And it was made specifically for the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Advertisement

Probably, just like anyone can do any job, but some people would be better at it. To me, for €100, you're best to get the one specifically made by Sony for the PS5. If you're spending more, grand, get something else, but for €100 the Pulse is a no brainer to me. I don't think you'll find many other headsets for that price that would be as good as or better than the Pulse. To pull a quote from WhatHiFi:

"Though you can get 3D audio by plugging a pair of standard wired headphones into the DualSense controller, the crispness and precision of the Pulse 3D headset makes for a more engaging and exciting experience than is offered by most similarly-priced wired headphones. It feels as though the 3D audio delivery has been tailored for the official headset – there’s every chance that in some cases it has been – which is a benefit of having just one product on the market"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

I would say if buying just for ps5 probably go the Sony ones. I picked up my arctis wireless for xbox and use them for tablet, switch, series x, ps5, phone and work pc. At the same price as the Sony ones it was a no brainer to go with a pair that go across all my platforms.

Having used them and the pulse ones for similar price the 3d audio didn't really feel overly different with the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SymbolicActs

You know some of us like the white.

And you must be using a completely different Dualsense to everyone else because it's absolutely nothing like the Xbox controller. And if your memory needs a bit of jogging, Sony were the first to have two shoulder buttons per side, while the original Xbox controller at first was more like the Dreamcast's, then they brought it in line with the PlayStation's.

The Dualsense is shaped much more like a Xbox controller now. Definitely more comfortable for me compared to the DS4 but the left thumbsticks are still in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SymbolicActs

It's shaped nothing like an Xbox controller. Bar the four face buttons being in the same place, everything is in a different spot or a different shape. The hand grip parts in particular are a completely different shape.

And no, the sticks aren't in the "wrong" place, they're where you don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think that can be attributed to copying or trying to emulate the Xbox controller though. The dualsense is a fairly clear evolution of the last few dualshocks, especially the PS3 to PS4 to now the PS5 controller. They've definitely improved the ergonomics of the controller, but I don't think that necessarily constitutes copying the Xbox controller.

I never said they copied the Xbox controller.

Each to their own. I liked the PS controllers over the years, and the DualSense is the cream of the crop right now. But the 360-Onwards controllers were quite nice too. I've tried the One controller, and the elite, and they were nice, but it doesn't look like they did much for the Series controllers, whereas the DualSense is a genuine step forward imo.

Plus, Xbox's controllers have the left stick in the wrong place... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sorry, it was The Phantom Pain. I was just following on from your post.

Is the ps5 backwards compatible with ps4 accessories, such as the old ps4 gold wireless headphones?

Would be handy if I could buy 1 set that worked with both the ps4 and ps5, as I can see both of them being used for a while.

I suppose that brings another question, does the new ps5 pulse headset work with a ps4?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Those cheap headsets you mentioned a few days ago work on both the PS4/5, they plug into the controller.

3.5mm jack, plug into controller.

Ok, but if I wanted to go for 3d audio of the pulse. Would it work with the ps4 as well?

Ok. Assumed the Pulse headset had extra speakers inside the ear parts, to give you a 3d audio feeling. ... not sure how you'd do 3d audio with just a normal set of headphones.

Also, does Pulse work with ps4?

3D audio is software based and has a dedicated core on the CPU/GPU for processing. Nothing to do with headset itself.

As TitanGerm said, it's software based so any headset will work, but Sony themselves said that the Pulse has the additional benefit of being designed with their own software in mind, so technically should be better than similar headsets at the same price.

According to Sony, the PULSE 3D is "engineered to take full advantage of PS5’s 3D Audio capabilities". It's also the only official headset that offers wireless support without the need for a third-party adapter.

Regardless, to experience the immersive gameplay that comes with 3D Audio - something Xbox players can also experience with Dolby Atmos - the PULSE 3D is not a necessary purchase.

And yes, the Pulse will wirelessly work with PS4 (and PC) and it's own version of 3D audio. But to note that some 3rd party headsets don't work with PS5 wirelessly. All will work with the 3.5mm cable, but if you want wireless you need to make sure someone else has confirmed they work wirelessly first: https://spy.com/articles/gadgets/video-media/best-gaming-headsets-ps5-1202717512/

I have the pulse headset myself and I think they're a perfectly good headset for the money. They are a bit flimsy though but in comparison I was using A50s on the Xbox and still use them on PC but I paid €200 for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

So what are the current choice games for the 5, I'm struggling to pick something that will engage me and looking for some comments.

I'm back playing Destiny 2 on it and really don't want to end up like I did with the 4 and turned it into a Destiny machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭jj880

Im not liking the prospects for ps5 games at the moment. Apart from god of war 2 Im not excited about anything. Been wanting to get rift apart but a few friends have it and say theres not much new in it and it gets old quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

Rift Apart is a decent game but it’s not worth €70. I picked it up for €45 on a Black Friday deal and was glad not to pay anywhere near full price.

Advertisement