Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

All in grey are under construction and should be ope by January, Enfield first maybe before Christmas then Athenry and Sandyford

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/findus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What is the deal with the lack of chargers in the northwest? There's only one HPC in Carrick and that's literally it

I know it isn't the busiest route, but it's hardly devoid of traffic either. I think there'd be a lot more EV uptake out that direction with just a few more fast chargers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah Sligo and somewhere in the South East would be good. Hopefully someone builds some more hubs soon. When you see Tesla opening 5 hubs in the space of a few months it makes Ecars look even worse with their single hub

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

After a long run of poorly informed articles that one is a pretty fair reflection

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pretty accurate. On seeing this line "Hybrids seem like a cop-out when, on long journeys, you’re mostly using petrol anyway." you can see it's a real opinion piece and and not a paid for hatchet job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

To be fair to the "Billionaire" Elon Musk, he has installed more hubs in this country than the ESB, even though their location not of much benefit to me in the South East.

Otherwise a reasonably fair article, only comment I have about the winter range is that he is accurate enough, but bad range hit here is only for about 3 months and even then we regularly have quite mild weather. A little bit of planning, pre heating, dare I say it slowing up a bit and the worst of winter can be mitigated.

On winter range: I did Athboy to south Dublin to Athboy recently. A regular trip for us, 150km return all motorway and the Ioniq28 always does it with 5-10% remaining.

We had really bad rain, an hour of stop go traffic on the m50, and as a result had to queue for 20 minutes to charge for 10 minutes in navan - as we would have ran out otherwise.

EVs have their limitations (as do ICEs, the ICE would likely use a litre or two more in the same scenario but you dont have a 30 minutes wait) so there's no denying it.

But: The ioniq28 is a small battery car these days, most new EVs have 50kWh+ and would easily do 150 km in all weathers with range to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's nothing new really.

It's chargers in this discussion. Could be railways or motorways in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement

Except of course the 300km road trip to Kerry still requires a fuel stop for most cars. I love how diesel car owners seem to gloss over the fact that they still have to stop for fuel in their 800km range Audi (which isn't that impressive when you consider it's supposed to get 1300km range 😛)

It wasn't the worst article I'll admit, and yes he makes a pretty good point around the affordability of EVs. I don't see what anyone expects anyone to do about that though, with car makers selling every EV they make with a 6 month waiting list, there's not exactly much incentive for them to push down prices.

I think the spam about chargers was a bit far fetched tbh. Yes in the Leaf days there was a fair amount of praying that the DC charger works en route, but now with bigger battery cars you can generally charge when it's convenient, and if the charger is out of action then there's often another reasonably close. Unless of course, you're in the northwest 😏

True, I remember the train broke down shortly after leaving Sligo. Because there's only 1 train line up that way, they had to drive the breakdown train up there from Enfield and hold every train back until Dublin before they could clear the line

And the greens say we should get the train everywhere 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think that article was a bit on the negative side to be honest, and i'm not sure he used ABRP to review his route either re chargers.

the stopping to charge thing is a bit stupid, i spent far less time in a forecourt refueling my car now than i did when i had a diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Weckler is a decent journo and I don't think it was a price written as a hacket job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭boccy23

Where is the perspective though? Ok, an EV is a more expensive up front capital investment (and we know that there is some "pain" re owning one if you plan on doing 300 KM trips), but the beneficial cost of electricity at €0.06/KW on night rate or €0.12/KW on normal rates (there or thereabouts) versus €1.60-€1.80/litre of Diesel/Petrol has to be included in any sane conversation over what their next car will be.

This "rangeaphobia" annoys the hell out of me. I have had the ID4 since April and have charged 3 times in the wild - even then 2 of these were just to try it out. Ok, I do have access to a charger in work, but I have also used granny cables in multiple places. It may be slow, but as the car is just sitting there anyway, I think it is a far more useful use of the time.

If the media is serious about trying to have an open and constructive debate over EVs, then the initial cost is a ridiculous start.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Last month, I went looking for an electric car.

My only real requirement was a range of at least 350 ‘real’ kilometres per charge. To my dismay, I found almost nothing available for under €50,000 — a price level I can’t justify nor afford.

No mention of ID.3 Tour 5, Kona, Soul and Niro 64kWh. That's more than "almost nothing" for less that €50k. Rest of it is fair and miles better than the hatchet jobs.

Kona is a 2 seat CUV if your rear passengers have legs.

Can the small battery ID3 or base spec soul/niro do 350km on the motorway at 120 in the winter? I dont think so.

Your EV obviously suits your use case, so good job. If you've only public charged 3 times then I guess you dont do 350km on the motorway in the winter so your use case does not match that posed in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

was the process Straightforward? and was the price what is on the esb document? in the same situation with a 8kva MIC which we will likely need to increase in the near future when we add an ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭boccy23

Neither is he. He is looking for the occasion when he may do it. If he plans, it can be done. Not saying it is simple or straight forward, but it can certainly be done.

What I am stating is be realistic in what you expect your car to do for you. If someone is driving from Limerick to Dublin and back everyday, then 100% current EVs are not for you.

But I would suggest that this is a very small minority of people and it is a more realistic expectation that most journeys are less than 100KMs and can be easily done via an EV.

This comes at a much lower running cost than current ICEs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

*insert vanilla smileys* Didn't know the Kona was that small, they look chunky.

He mentions the small battery Niro alongside Zoe and e208 as being unable for 300km which is true. Next mention is the Enyaq at €45k but no mention of ID3 Tour 5 and Niro 64kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The subject of the article it is very close to one or two threads that were popular a couple of weeks ago. And while I admit it is technically correct it misses the point. And I'll take it backwards with the price first.

There is often a blind spot about acknowledging the elephant in the room. How many Irish people can really afford a €28,000 Ford Fiesta sized car? Let alone a €40,000 or €50,000 family car?

The target audience of a new Ioniq5 it is not the student buying the 10 years old fiesta or punto. It is the family buying the brand new Tucson, the best sold car of the year which has a market share of 5%+. Tucson price range 35k-45k. Ioniq5 price range 38k-65k. Plenty of overlap. On top of that comes the running costs which increase this overlap even more. The top 10 new regs in 2021 has 7 models around the 40k budget. The best VW sold is not the Polo or Golf but the Tiguan which starts at ...40k. Even Yaris has a starting point of 22k but it can go over 60k. The 15k Dacia Sandero referred to in the article sold less units than BMW 5 series (way more expensive) So to answer the question lots. Or better said more people would spend +40k than -20k. Based on figures not on sentiments.

On the range issue It may be boring to say that the average drive on this island is <20km and even the author mentioned that you can rent for the one time a year you drive out of your comfort zone. I drove a Kona from Derry or Castlebar to Dublin without the need to charge but I still stopped somewhere along the route. If a regular ICE doesn't need refueling why service stations like Cashel or B Obama Plaza are always full? The author says it does not blame the ESB/ecars/service stations for the poor network we have. Well I do. But I do blame mostly the govs for inanition and inaction. A good charging network would make even the small batteries to be competitive on the market which would be the pressure for the prices to drop. It would increase de demand for EV while decreasing the demand for ICEs. A reliable network would make charging stops unnoticeable (looking at you ecars). If someone asks here on boards "I want an EV to drive xxx km", the generic answer is "Buy a Tesla" (even though may sound condescending) because in spite of "barely bothered to put any Tesla superchargers into Ireland" Tesla is synonim with reliable infrastructure.

Lastly I blame media for not playing its part in education and opinion forming. I'd like to see an article on the lines

Guys we are in deep s#!t. Climate change is a fact. We have to act now. It may be cheaper and easier to buy a Tucson on the short run but here are ways of making life easier with an Ioniq on the long run. Here are the facts verified by us....... Please send us your suggestions and we make sure we verify and discuss with appropriate stakeholders.

You realize Tesla have the most fast chargers on the island and have 3 more sites in construction and should all be running by January😁

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NCC1701

As the owner of a 10 year old Qashqai diesel, yes I would LOVE to buy an EV to do my part in reducing air pollution as I know that Earth is on the slippery slope and my kids or "at best", their kids with have to deal with a ruined planet. My commute is 80kms round trip and therefore well within the range of even a small EV (although squeezing 4 teenagers and two Collies into a Zoe would be fun!). I have a driveway and so a home charger would suit me, all on a cheap night rate tariff. So I'd rarely, if ever need to plan my routes round a public charging network (that by all accounts is abysmal in Ireland buy hey ho, when have we ever gotten the whole "infrastructure" thing right!). Plus the minimal running costs of an EV and the joy of driving past a fossil fuel station with their prices increasing exponentially would be grin inducing.

However.............. Weckler is right in saying that the initial cost is the biggest hurdle to overcome. I've been looking at the MG ZS as I feel it is big enough for my brood but even at the €30k-ish mark, its well outside my price range, about double what I could afford. If the powers that be were serious about the whole "1 million EV's on the road by 2030" thing, they'd introduce scrappage schemes for old cars, cut VRT on EV's etc. But that'll never happen as the current demand for EV's is high anyway (no shortage of buyers) and I'm fairly certain manufacturers would increase their prices if the Government reduced the tax take. So next year when I finally put my Qashqai to rest, I'll be looking at another fossil fuel car, a 4 year old second hand one or a cheap new one like a Dascia. Not my first choices but EV's are too expensive for my needs.

The quotes are from the article not my words. My words are SuC is the most reliable network. Also when comparing with other European countries we are a bit low in SuC numbers. Even Iceland beats us.

Model 3 with the new ~60kwh battery and under 50k would meet these criteria too.

Well what I will say is that oftentime if you compare an equivalent spec diesel to an EV, they'll come in within a similar price. And cars in general have become unaffordable over the past 20-30 years. Just look at the rise of PCP finiance deals, which are often the only way that buyers can afford a new car

The problem is that there is very few (if any) low spec and low power EVs on the market. Comparing even base spec EVs doesn't work because the EV often has much more power available from the motor which drives the price up (even if it is artificial, often doesn't cost the manufacturer more to produce it)

As I've said before, the car manufactuers have very little incentive to push down prices. They're selling everything they make and even raising prices by eliminating lower spec models. Until someone comes along and offers an EV for €20k there's not going to be any options for cheap EVs except the 2nd hand market (which ain't looking cheap these days)

You'll never make it in journalism by informing people of sensible, fact based aritcles unfortunately 😏

Have you considered an Ioniq 28kWh? More 2019 Konas will drop to around 25k next month. The savings on fuel will push you on something bigger in 2 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

The perception is out there that EVs are more expensive (and was one I had). But whats mad is that even with the more expensive up front cost over 5 or so years people can easily recoup the additional cost.

The difference in operational costs is bonkers when you look at it. But that's not a very sexy sell. And in fact it was only the MG EV range that even tempted me to do the calc in the 1st place. And I realised a mid priced octavia worked out more expensive than the 64kWh eniro or Ioniq 5.

Since I ordered the Ioniq 5, Id say 9 out of 10 of the people I mention it to come back with the "expensive" argument. And over a reasonable period of ownership it just isn't. It's cheap.

Anyway, preaching to the converted here. What's really missing, and will come, is a 2nd hand market

Advertisement