Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 Round 21 Saudia Arabia GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I thought the bargaining between Red Bull and Mercedes via the race director was very weird to say the least, deciding amongst themselves the order of the grid for the restart?!?!

Surely if Max deserved a penalty you hand it out not have a chat to see if it can be worked out in other ways. You'd have to wonder what the other teams think hearing this go on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

So merc have the constructor's in the bag unless they have a double dnf next race and it's a redbull 1-2.

Its advantage Max in the driver's any additional penalties outstanding. In the last race he just needs to pull a Schumacher/senna/prost job and he gets the championship we all know max is capable of such a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have such a dislike for Hill, just a bitter old man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I think its absolutely bizarre that neither Hamilton or Bottas got a penalty all weekend after all their infringements but Verstappen gets three?

How can anyone think an 8th world title for Hamilton is deserved and justified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Fair play to that lad crouching down there behind the lads, didn't notice him or his coffee at all 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This is turning to rugby where everything comes down to interpretation.

Max pushes himself, the car and his rivals to the absolute limit. I love it. Consider as well the two races where HAM and BOT both took him out, he'd be hosed, home and dried with the championship.

HAMs behaviour this evening in my mind counts as bringing the sport into disrepute. Safety should never be questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Damon Hill is a crap analyst, and clearly the lack of oxygen from his head being rammed so far up Hamilton's bum hole is causing brain damage

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hamilton had a career of what has been passed off as good aggressive driving behind him though. When faced with the same though it's dangerous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Get a grip?

Max dropped 5 gears, oceans of space to overtake, Lewis slowed down and hit the back of Max,

Whether Lewis knew or not is completely Mercedes fault. But it is irrelevant. Lewis saw the car in front slow down and being the racer he is.....slowed down instead of overtaking. 100 Lewis should have overtaken, he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Yep, while Lewis has shown time and again that he believes the rules don’t apply to him and he’s deliberately taken out rivals on a number of occasions, this one was blatant stupidity and lack of race craft, not malice.

• Advertisement

Horner is gonna deck Hill.

In fairness to Mercedes a driver shouldn’t need to be told not to crash into the car in front of him if it slows down, most people are intelligent enough to already know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Damon Hill is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Is Max under investigation for the incident with Hamilton ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well that race was shockingly stewarded. So much confusion for each team. Ultimately the race was won by RB not getting another safety car(which seemed like a good bet to be fair).

Its infuriating watching Mercedes escape punishment though again for multiple infractions.

Hill is pathetic really. The more angry he gets the more you know he’s deflecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

If Hamilton wins the last 4 races course he deserves it. Verstappen is a dangerous driver and looking like a bottler.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hamilton has now been called to Stewards as well

Alleged breach of Breach of Article 2 (d) Chapter IV Appendix L of the FIA International Sporting Code, incident in turn 27 at 22:19.

Precedent from Jerez is that that is disqualification from the championship. That was overridden with precedent from Silverstone this year that it’s totally ok and you keep the race win too, but it’s one rule for Mercedes and another rule for the rest, so Verstappen can’t risk anything other than being squeaky clean with the way the FIA are taking every opportunity at fixing the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Max was in the middle of the track. Whilst there was enough room for Hamilton to pass, I think it's clear to see why he would have been confused but hey ho. What was Hamilton going to gain by running into the back of him? Take him out and hope he has enough of a car left himself to limp home?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Max should learn to keep his car on the road. Only reason Hamilton is still in this title race is because he knows Max loses his head too easily.

One thing I will say about Max, that last restart was a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There's zero reason for Lewis to deliberately crash into the back of Max. Clumsy incident from Lewis but I don't think he was thinking of drs line, just try his best to work out which direction Max was going to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I completely agree. But the Lewis defence from the commentators is that Lewis didn't know what Max was at, as he wasn't told. He's a 7 time world champion ffs, he should just take the pass .

Can you imagine if the roles were reversed and Max rammed into the back of Hamilton? Hill and Sky would be screaming blue murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

The question is why did Lewis slow down, surely if a car in front is slowing down you pass it and there was room to pass.

Now if Lewis knew he was being allowed to pass he would slow down too to ensure he doesn't pass before the DRS line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im so gutted for Ocon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Incorrect, the Imola red flag, the bottas torpedo, the silverstone stunt, the dodgy rear wing, the Bottas engine tests before the "spicey" PU was put into Hamiltons car, the dodgy yellow flags and now this entire penalty free weekend for Merc?

No, Hamilton does not deserve this WC, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any pictures you see with the F1 logo in the left of the pictures are not controlled by Sky. They are from the world feed which is controlled by a company called Formula One Media (generally called FOM)

Mercedes were saying that they were only getting the message that Max was going to let him by as that incident was unfolding (as in the radio comms we heard during the race). I'd say Hamilton had no idea what was going on.

Max was weaving around the circuit, hit the brakes and then took off straight away after he was hit. We saw later on exactly what he was trying to do and he wouldn't have got away with that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Look ya don't like the man. It's a long season , the person with most point will deserve it. Are you a conspiracy theorist as well about the FIA wanting Hamilton to win? Haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lewis thought Max slowing down was 'some crazy tactic' 🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

That's pretty open and shut, what the hell was Hamilton at. I don't get that if he didn't know he was being let pass that he wouldn't overtake? The most obvious conclusion one could draw if he didn't know was that Max had a problem with the car, just drive around!

This is absolute bullshit btw. The two of them have put on an excellent show all season. Whoever wins will absolutely deserve it.

It's pure drivel and completely stupid to suggest otherwise.

A driver with 15 years+ experience and 7 world championships is now suddenly confused about how to overtake someone slower in front of him? Pull the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Max is in his head - he can't even answer why he didn't just go around him without stuttering.

Some are trying to have us believe that Max was weaving too - nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Regardless of who was at fault for what, Masi shouldn't be in the position he is anymore after that shambles.

But if Lewis knew nothing then why didn't he just pass instead of slowing down, it doesn't make sense to me. There was no reason for Lewis to slow down, no flags, no warnings. For all he knew Max may have had engine trouble.

But I reckon Lewis knew something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah, Hamilton has everything to lose by crashing there, but he knows Max is a loose cannon and it clearly affected his thinking. The overhead view clearly shows various movements left and right from Max, I suspect Hamilton didn't know what game Max was playing, add in a drastic slowdown and you get contact. Its Hamiltons fault but I can understand it.

Why didn't Verstappen pull to one side like every other driver in history does when giving the place back? Because he was trying to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Oh bore off, seriously. The hyperbole here is ridiculous. And you're not the only one. There's a handful of posters here who clearly know nothing about racing and treat this like the football or something, totally one sided view, can't see beyond their own hatred or love for either driver.

I can't stand Hamilton, nothing would make me happier than to see Max win this year. But why the hell would Lewis take them both out when he's 8 points behind? Not only 8 points behind, but he's on better tyres and in a faster car, and closing on Max... The momentum was with him.

Just take your bloody medicine seriously.

It's clear that Masi gave the message to RB first, Max lifted and Lewis hadn't received the message. Now, you can make a case for the sloppy driving that cause them to shunt but to say Lewis deliberately cheated/ran him off/tried to kill him, it does nothing for the conversation.

• Advertisement

This is Max's 7th season in F1, what's his excuse for driving like a rookie today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The same as Hamiltons for driving like like rookie all weekend

This I agree with. He has left a lot to be desired this season and this race took the piss completely.

He was told to let Hamilton by but instead Hamilton ran into the back of Max. You're barking up the wrong tree here and you need to ask serious questions of your hero Hamilton. What about Hamilton's shocking driving yesterday impeding Gasly and almost causing a serious crash with Mazepin?

He didn't know anything, Mercedes said they had only got the message from Race Control that Max was going to let him pass as that incident was unfolding. Mercedes literally hadn't any chance to relay that information fully to Bonno never mind Hamilton.

You can 'reckon' anything you want. Mercedes were clearly on the radio during the race arguing with Race Control that they were only getting the information as the incident was unfolding and that Bonno was only getting that information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Max has had a way more impressive season overall. Today was a total mess, hopefully Lewis gets penalized for rear ending Max.

I'm not sure how much Hamilton is meant to have done wrong, nor Verstappen.

For the collision Hamilton would've been completely discombogulated about if it was a Safety Car or VSC causing Verstappen to slow down.

Worst thing Hamilton did all race to my eye was the dropping back, little cheeky putting Verstappen wide when he did take the place.

Worst thing Verstappen did was handing the space back awkwardly.

Some silly race control and Jesus the over-reaction is insane.

EDIT: I'm surprised Merc haven't corrected Hamilton about the brake-checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can people stop thinking/believing that either man intentionally wanted to take the other out…makes no real sense for Max to do it, and even less sense for Lewis.

The crash into the back by Lewis was nothing more than a racing incident.

as brilliant as these men are, they are humans. Driving at break neck speeds and relying on not only their skills, but also the skills and intentions of their competitors.

Ok so Lewis knew nothing and decided that he didn't want to pass Max then, that's even weirder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Showing the onboard there from Verstappen. Little or no movement of the wheel to suggest he swerved. It's actually very clear Hamilton just straight up ran into the back of Verstappen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement