Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yes, they're focusing on the bigger battery models at the moment because of chip shortages (more profit margin) but the 52kWh should be open for orders at some point

I think it's worth ringing a VW dealer as there might be a few orders in the pipeline that got cancelled and the cars will be up for grabs

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's certainly a different experience than the Leaf, I remember coming home a few times with 7km on the GOM

I still reckon I could have detoured for a coffee but my wife said no 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Which goes further? Kia EV6 v Volkswagen ID4 convoy comparison review - 77kWh family electric cars

ID.4 seems to be holding up well against the Ioniq5/EV6/Model Y given that it was the first out of the blocks (in Europe).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Got told today by my dealer that first week of January for handover

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Interesting especially as that is the dual motor 4WD version of the EV6 against the RWD version of the ID4, I assume the RWD version of the EV6 (which is the only one available in Ireland) will be more efficient.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Kia has most the advantage anyways. Heat pump, more aero, typically a better drivetrain on the Korean cars. Still decent from VW though. Winter might be a different story though. Decent range dip in the colder weather

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looks like a new version of the (Andriod) app is due to be released, showing charging power in kW (from MeinID)

Development at a snails pace.

Post edited by cannco253 on

• Advertisement

Apparently the issue with the kilowatts display is that one of the bosses in VW (Thomas Ulbrich maybe?) didn't want to confuse drivers and has been insisting on the display in km/h up to now

Yeah I heard that as well, at least the app should show it whenever it gets released. Nothing will change in the car display until 3.0 I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Any else get seemingly random blue light bar indicators? I know there's light bar indicators for navigation, incoming calls, emergency braking. But these are just random blue lights

It’s eco assist, telling you to slow down due to upcoming junction/turn

Ah ok. Half thought it might be something to do with the junctions etc it shows on the dash. But I drive in D mode, so the car pretty much takes care of the "slow down due to upcoming junction/turn" anyways. Good to know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

So some not so good news with my ID4. There is a fairly annoying ticking/rattle coming from the dash for the last few months, slowing getting worse (or maybe I now just always hear it and noticed it more). I left it in to be checked in Sept (along with the rear boot strip light getting fixed). Initially they checked a few things in the dash over 2 days and ordered a part in, so car was back in a few weeks later when it arrived. Part fitted but no luck and noise was still there.

Left it back in with different local VW dealer at the start of this month, this time they kept it for a week to give time to find what it is. After a week no luck and asked to bring it back a week later and possibly leave it in up to 2 weeks to let the techs time to strip away at it to find the noise. So I'm now at the end of this 2 weeks tomorrow (nearly a month in total for all the services) and STILL no answer to what the noise is.

Firstly, yes I know this might seem like a small issue and not something to get hung up on. But the car is very quiet so its quite noticeable (my wife now hears it all the time too so she's not happy either) and its a brand new car so it shouldn't be like this. I've driven enough cars to know this is more than some of the odd squeaks and noises a car can make. It can happen on near smooth roads too so not just bumpy roads. And the techs in VW have heard it and acknowledged it also.

Second, I'm now in a position that VW don't know what the cause is and they don't really have any answer. I've given a lot of time for them to find the issue without losing my cool, but I'm getting annoyed now. I'm also in a loan T-Cross while my car is in, so no where near the same car.

Has anyone experienced something like this were a dealer couldn't get to the bottom of an issue? What are possible/reasonable demands or expectations in a situation like this? I'm going to push for a loan ID4/electric car as a minimum if the car is to be kept any longer. But if they can't find the issue and won't/can't work on it further what kind of recourse could I look for? I just want the noise to be fixed obviously and now I know its there it will be hard to just live with it, especially as its a (expensive) new car. Again I know its a relatively minor issue for a car but the whole situation is just very annoying and has taken the shine of buying the car.

Might be some stones or debris got inside the plastic covers under the car and is now rattling around the not engine compartment (not really sure what to call the space under the bonnet 😁)

Might also be the glove compartment? I've noticed mine creaks when it's full because the door latch is pressing on the frame

Got the prompt for update part 1 today. I pressed install but I've only 18% battery so I'm guessing it'll fail because the soc is too low

We'll see where it's at tomorrow. Any way to tell if part 1 installed? I think the software version doesn't get updated until part 2 finishes

• Advertisement

Your dash won't look like a Christmas tree if it's installed I think. Mine installed and the next day I had part 2 waiting to be installed, so fingers crossed for you.

I have noticed a lot more X is unavailable since the update though. Only for a few minutes, but it happens.

Had a long spin over the weekend. 440km of mostly national and motorway driving.

90km drive then an overnight stay at the in laws. Some cold morning battery losses overnight but we grabbed breakfast in town so I plugged into the local slow charger while we did our bits in town. 15kWh added. 135km drive to a hotel (to charge point, but they offered a 3 pin socket) and arrived with 38% battery. Took a while for them to setup the socket (extension lead etc) but it was dead when I plugged in. Nice grounds man fixed it for me (rcbo had tripped) and it got charging.

Next morning i woke to see a charging error on the we charge app, but I had gotten 230km of range. 215km journey ahead, so I decided we'd charge on route while we grabbed a takeaway tea at a service station. 11kWh added while we drank and snacked and then back on the road. Probably wouldn't have stopped if the hotel charger didn't crap out, but it was only a 10-15 minute stop (unplugged when I finished my mini cake).

Arrived home with 64km range, so good thing I charged on route, but really only needed 5 minutes if I was under pressure.

More charging for 440km than I expected, but it was in cold weather, winds, and some rain, with a cold car on 3 occasions.

500km of range from ~124kWh (full battery plus all the charging (without losses)). ~25kWh/100km.

Didn't feel that way though. Charging was hardly an inconvenience at all

Yeah it was actually finished a couple of hours later, waiting on part 2 now and charging the car tonight so it doesn't complain

I’m told that mine made its big voyage yesterday 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

All it takes is for one of those public chargers to be in use or broken and your screwed. Or getting that sinking feeling when pulling up to a ‘fast charger’ and seeing a leaf sitting there with nobody in it- or any car using it- wait for the question then from the wife or kids - ‘how long will we be here dad’ ?

Or the faffing at a hotel trying to rig up a n extension lead to a 50k car …

Imagine how busy the network will be when it’s business as usual here and with the new sales in 2022-

Great your trip worked out but I would treat public charging as if it doesn’t exist - it simply cannot be relied upon.

I was pretty confident. I could of even fast charged before I set off rather than slow charging over breakfast. Though the flakey hotel charging was the main reason I had to public charge at all. They were extremely helpful (got a golf cart ride back from the car park) and hopefully they'll extend that helpfulness to installing a proper charger. From what I could see they had 3 phase to the car park. In all, I went down to the car twice. Once to plug it in when the rolled out the extension lead and again to meet the groundsman so he could get it working for me. Some might be put off by all this, but I accept it as part of early adoption, and for the once or twice a year inconvenience, it's grand.

I had 5 fast chargers to choose from on our route. Kilkenny and Carlow would have been a bit of a pain as they're off the motorway, and Waterford could of been entertaining because because the station owner is a notorious grump about EVs. I checked out https://ecars-stats.com/ so I was confident Knocktopher would be quiet, and it was. If it was busy, i'd have driven on.

The network certainly has its shortcomings, but I didn't experience any of them this weekend. I don't rely on it regularly at all, but I don't dismiss it's existence either.

Didn't have the kids this time. If I had, i'd of charged at the in-laws after the 80km drive. As it was, we were happy enough to take our time getting back. :D

The infrastructure is poor but the cars also need to use this infrastructure a lot more efficiently and I saw at the weekend that the id cars don't use the 150 Kw chargers efficiently, on the ESB 150 Kw chargers I saw no more than I think 52 Kw, on ionity 60 Kw same conditions SOC, Battery temp etc.

Seemingly the only way to get good charging speeds on the id cars is to plug in at 10% or less. I've seen you tube videos of the id 4 getting 125 Kw at low soc and still way higher than 50 Kw at 50% than I saw, even if you plug in at 40% you will see only 50 Kw ESB and 60 Kw ionity where if you plug in at low soc you see much higher charge rates for the rest of the charge, I still haven't fully witnessed whether a lot of this is temperature related however, the id has the ability to charge at the higher rates, heat the battery and if you really have to plug in at low soc to get decent rates, this can also be fixed.

In reality from what I've seen with the id3 tour 5 there's no point paying more to use the 150 Kw ESB charger unless the 50 Kw is in use.

The id cars are by no means the only culprit here.

I've seen it being temperature related. I've arrived with a cold battery, lowish SOC (not sure on the %, but ~100km range) and I was getting 70kW from the 150kW unit. Arrived with similar SOC (20%) but a warm battery, and got 125kW. Pretty much the Fastned curve. VW have acknowledged the curve can and will* be improved with future updates. It's all about the battery being warm from my experience.

Or just go to the next charger, there's generally another within 50km and the ID.4 has plenty of range so you'll often have enough to get to another charger, or even another if disaster strikes

Honestly, I think there's a bit too much fear about public charging, I've had to public charge exactly once since getting the ID.4 and basically it went like this:

• Left house with ~60% battery because I hadn't planned ahead
    • Popped into service station on way to destination, charger was in use
    • Went to destination instead, didn't bother finding an AC charger
    • Popped into same service station on way home, charger was free and I could do with a top up, so I plugged in, went to the bathroom and got a coke from BK, then unplugged after 10 mins and went home

• Advertisement

It can't be warmed from driving, the only way is for the heater to kick in but it doesn't that I have observed, the only thing that will really warm it is plugging in at low SOC and letting the current warm it but it would have to be pulling a decent amount of current.

Advertisement