Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Financing spring fertilizer is the issue, the normal craic of ordering in January, and paying it off in the summer is a non-runner at current prices the co-ops/merchants simply aren't going to carry it , but the vast majority of farmers at the minute because of lack of cashflow our a deluded self-belief the merchants are trying to bend them over without using the vaseline don't seem to be prepared to cough up for 1000 euro urea, but fully expect the same merchants to have fertiliser in the yard for them in the spring like every other year, when they might reluctantly except they'll have to cough up the money to get it, the kick in the hole will be when they are told its not available...

Have circa 20k spent here on a mixture of stuff, 40 ton in volume, last year in Jan 2021 that 20k would of bought me 100 ton, high milk prices is the only thing saving the dairy farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Don't rely on ration to cover any of next winter's feed. If tillage lads take the same view about fertiliser, there won't be any grain to be bought, reasonably anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

I was on a p build up program for the past 3 years. I'm lucky to have so much done on that front. Spread nothing but 18's for 3 years and I felt as though I was always a bit low on nitrogen. Will probably go with CAN this year if I can get it and I've my own dribble bar for every second round and the spring. No reseeding done for years here so I need to make a start on that. Discing I'd say. Another year of no profit I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

All about shite and more shite.AGAIN.Boards is turning into a farmers forum.Has the IFA publicised it or was Macra na Feirme letting loose on the min?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm going to try save extra bales this winter. This will be a 2 year problem, even when fertilizer comes back down in the summer.

More set aside in the spring as well.

• Advertisement

Mods.

Beach head is correct,there is too much farm talk in Farming and Forestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Few weeks ago gossip with a trader who deals in exporting grains.

China aint exporting any N as they reckon there was a terrible harvest in the grain belt due to rain and the fact that they're lowering specs on imported french bread wheat says as much. They won't say it as otherwise it causes trouble for the party dealing with the peasantry.

They normally export about 10m tons of N but have a hold until the summer as factories were also shut to clean up air for the winter olympics.

India at the time were looking for 3m tons atleast and simply couldnt get it, in a situation of a blank cheque for food security of a huge population.......

Be a world of beans/oats etc, and maybe distilling barley grown for malt contracts. A grain grower/miller from Saymn country was offered land beside a block the tennant had literally walked away from aas calculator said no.

Only due to a good year will western farms be around for 2022 but if prices are similar next autumn i could see fert plants being nationalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are right. Rations could cost 400+/ ton next year. Grain producers right accross the world will cut back.in fertlizer. It's already happening in the Southern hemisphere. Tillage farmers accross the world are also changing what crops they grow. They are getting away from crops that need a lot of N. Ration will.jump.in prices faster than people think as forward pricing will drive them ahead

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

just checked the accounts here for last year and the fertilizer and lime cost 5 cents per litre. Now we did make a lot of surplus silage and kept 80 incalf heifers and 100 heifer calves but we definitely need to cut back for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The big problem is if u cut back heavy u reduce quality and quantity and if same sr been carried that’ll have to bd replaced …..all these new grasses we’ve been setting are hungry for there chemical fertiliser hit ….talking to a neighbour other day and we were talking about fertiliser looking at a price list and we were commenting one thing that looks value is 18s at ….750 a tonne 😴😴😴

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Anyone have a rough price of 0-7-30 by any chance?

I enquired about fertiliser in my co-op the other day and they still have nothing to say about fertiliser. No prices or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,602 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'm asking santa for an artic load of fertiliser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭green daries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Normal credit terms might even be a result

We might need the glanbia credit limit yet on our trading accounts

I don't know the rough price but I know that the price will be rough.

I notice very few are talking about the elephant in the room, reducing herd size. For those with high stocking rates, if they reduce demand by 10% they could reduce fertlizer by 20%. This could be the year to cull hard. Take out older cows and cows with issue's. Ginger has a point if you have a lot of surplus silage next spring consider reducing the area you close and keep more for grazing. Or else try not to produce extra grass that will have to be taken out as bales.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Same as that. They said about 1000/t CAN, prepaid & only local dairy farmers are buying.

Told me too hold out till Spring like usual.

• Advertisement

China have also told their citizens to stockpile food. They know what is coming.

Quite a few Lads will hold out, plenty of silage, hope things will turn around.

Shure if natural gas hit record lows tomorrow it would still be next June before fertilizer dropped in price.

It will drop next autumn, if unlucky a bit later than that.

I'm holding off on buying a portion till the Spring, betting that marts will be a quite on the buying front and quite a few off loading. If my bet goes wrong, I'll have saved silage at least.

Getting 80 tonne of lime as well.

If cattle hadn't of done well this year the farm account would be hitting the other account hard.

If you really need it, you should pull the trigger now on a portion at least.

Fertilizer will not be cheaper in a few months, in America it is being priced 30 dollars a tonne dearer in February and all the push factors are make it go dearer. There seems to be not one thing saying a bit cheaper in the next 6 months.

That's a global story.

Or at least work out alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Taking out 3 spinners ,late calvers poor production etc ….maidens I’d normall sell in April going in January …..still going to end up with slightly more cows than this year ….big stock of silage on hand …been buying bales too to conserve own stock …won’t be panicking or making any knee jerk decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Would be slow to not take out any extra grass. Fair enough if your system can allow for destocking to a certain degree but any amount of bad weather can hit silage stocks at any time of year. Memories are short, 12/13 hammered many and 18 hit the lads in dry parts of the country. Securing winter feed for whatever you'll have should be priority number one. How one does that should be figured out by doing the sums

I'd agree with Bass, cut stock numbers and make the most of the land one has. In other parts of the world the ones that move first in drought tend to come out the other end in better shape. Could be a similar situation if there production inputs aren't there for the farms that rely on them. I'm offloading a few more ewes and I'll purchase twice as much hay as I need so I don't need to think about next Winter and heading into Spring 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Why would dairy farmers cut numbers. The only thing in short supply is urea. P and Ks have gone up very little. Cutting back on fertilizer use in spring and for first silage is a mistake.

My son worked on a large sheep and pedigree suckler ranch in Australia when he did his rural placement four years ago. He keeps in contact with the owner. One thing he noticed was there reaction to drought or fodder shortages They never tried to maintain herds and flocks. It was cull fast and hard, do not let costs get out of control. Even after everything was culled hard they would keep culling.

Under reaction was as much of a fear as over reaction. Fertlizer will cost 3 times last year price or 2.5 times the five year average approximately.

A farm using 200 kgs N/HA if you include a bit of NPK will probably be paying 500+/ HA for fertlizer and that is using mainly ordinary urea.

At that rate fertlizer could cost 25k+ for a 50 HA farm. But there Is a second factor will farmers be able to source there complete fertlizer requirements.

If on top of fertlizer costing 500+/HA can your system cope with ration prices of 400+/ton.

The other factor is how long this will last. The presumption that prices will soften later next year is not guaranteed. The Russia/ Ukraine situation is a risk factor on gas prices as well.

Slava Ukrainii

I don't use fert or make silage so neither is a concern here. Every farm has to make their own decision, including dairy farmers. It's all crystal ball gazing until Spring anyway, unless one is inclined to buy now for prices on offer.

• Advertisement

Hear a lot of lads here buying made silage and renting silage ground.

Take the pressure off the platform.

Phosphates might well rise next, China produces 40% of global supply and has decided not to export anything till next July.

Everyone needs to make their own plan for their own place I suppose.

Advertisement