Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

There's a Strava segment in Sandyford where the top 10 times (and lots of other times) are clearly held by mountain bikers forgetting to turn off their computers (it's clear from the profile pics and the ride maps). You'd think that a ride that averaged 10 km/h and included a segment at 65 km/h - or someone putting out nearly 700W at a heart rate of 70 bpm - would be automatically flagged, but apparently not.

Also - what's the point of segments with traffic lights? There are numerous traffic lights on the Sandyford Road Climb segment, so segment times are meaningless unless you're going to break every red light you encounter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the problem is/was that AFAIK when a segment is flagged, it goes to the person who uploaded it to confirm that it was a valid effort or not. so some people in the above scenario, who might have been happy with their performance up on the trails and maybe don't give a toss about road riders, aren't going to agree to having their MTB spin marked as invalid.

in the end, i can't see a programmatic way to distinguish valid from invalid records with full reliability.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

in the end, i can't see a programmatic way to distinguish valid from invalid records with full reliability.

It could be easy enough to progrmatically compare against the persons previous efforts and against the other nine comprising the top ten on that segment. By setting a threshold of say 10%, if the KOM is >10% than their previous efforts and the other nine then it should automatically be flagged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, but it's one thing flagging it for attention, and another entirely in refusing to accept the result, and who is the arbiter of that?

one simple enough example of where the option above could go wrong; lets say i stop for a banana and a drink at a particular spot. it's halfway along a 10km long segment. i do this three or four times, and record a time of ~25 minutes each time. then one day i do the segment without stopping and complete it in 20 minutes; 20% faster than before.

the problem is that's its a very inexact science, and factors like wind can have a large impact within a particular rider's performance, let alone comparing riders to each other. i see no easy answer to this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can flag junk segments such as ones with traffic lights or stop signs, but it's not really worth the hassle. On regular routes I just hide every segment that isn't a classified climb.

• Advertisement

Good points there. I'm sure Strava are well aware of the issue, but probably have decided that it's more trouble than it's worth to try to deal with it. Even if there are times and power outputs that are clearly bogus (like 700W at 70 bpm, or just power outputs that would be improbable in a pro rider at any bpm).

EDIT: I tried to flag the two fastest times but they can't be flagged as they are 'already resolved'. So clearly the lad who cycled down the M50 to get to Three Rock is happy with his KOM.

Post edited by ARX on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Never underestimate the power of a contrarian.

Mate of mine took the lead in a running segment on Strava when he accidentally recorded a cycle as a run. He got a series of comments telling him to change it, but he said knowing how much it was irritating people was enough of a reason not to...

my father in law joined up to strava a couple of years ago when he was planning a charity sportive for the lions club. he decided to record it while driving it, and got in a huff when 'some bollocks with too much time on his hands' (not exact words, but close to the sentiment) flagged his ride. he calmed down a bit when i explained why hitting 104km/h on his 'ride' on the ballyboughal to naul road might alert a few cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Almost as annoying as those who won't correct massive glitches in elevation. A couple of years ago there was a chap heading all the Strava challenges on climbing. He'd do a lap of Howth and get 10,000 metres. A few of us commented on his activities but his reply was basically that it wasn't his fault that his Garmin was acting up. Fair enough, but he could simply not have entered the climbing challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Speaking of elevation gained, I began using the Strava base map data for elevation earlier this year. Previously I had a Garmin 520 which tended to add a few metres too many at times (especially on windy days). I've been using a Wahoo for most of this year and it tends to be quite miserly on metres climbed and windy days affect it to lesser degree than the Garmin.

I don't do as many hills these days compared to few years ago so metres up aren't of any real concern to me but I find that using the Strava data keeps ride data relative and consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah I've found that Garmin adds about 50m to my home elevation (I live by the sea!) so that throws everything else out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have noticed that every time I start my 1030 a small message appears saying something along the lines of 'elevation calibrated to current location'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You can set the Garmin to your home elevation so it always starts at the correct value although that's no guarantee that subsequent measurements are accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I should rescind my membership of this forum, I finally passed my driving test at the grand old age of 47 on my 5th attempt. It only took 17 years... 🙄🤪

Basically I'm so used to cycling everywhere that I never practised driving enough to pass previously. I live in a suburban environment pretty much 10km from anywhere I needed to get to in a hurry. Cycling any distance certainly doesn't phase me either so I never really saw the benefit of driving to go places.

Anyway I'm proof that an old dog can learn a new trick.

Now to start moaning about fuel costs, road tax and ninja cyclists. I'll get me keys - the Motoring forum is over there....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Congratulations NamelessPhil! The real learning starts after you pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Got this from Strava this morning:

We know that bad leaderboard data is no fun.

You give a segment your best and think that the elusive crown might be yours. But you head to the leaderboard only to find that the fastest activity – and the one keeping you from the top of the podium – seems off, due either to faulty GPS data or incorrect activity type.

We hear you, and we’re working to fix it. Here’s how we’re tackling the issue:

Identifying incorrect activity type – If an athlete misclassified their activity (i.e., ride for run, e-bike for bike, etc.), Strava will now suggest that they change the activity type to reduce the amount of miscategorized uploads you encounter on leaderboards.

Partial activity exclusion – Strava’s auto-detection tool used to exclude an entire activity if a single segment effort had bad GPS data. We’ve upgraded the tool to enable partial exclusion, so if one segment effort has bad data, the rest of the activity will stay intact and remain eligible to compete on other segment leaderboards.

Retroactive leaderboard cleanup – Our team is making the effort to check historical leaderboard data so that all efforts you see there are legitimate. But because GPS technology has evolved over the years, scrubbing older activity data warrants different solutions than more recent ones. This work is ongoing.

We’re committed to fair competition, and to ensuring that segment leaderboards are accurate, reliable and fun. Thanks for your patience as we continue to work toward removing invalid efforts from Strava, and for continuing to help us in flagging the efforts you see that don’t look right. You can continue to do so from the web.

looks like tuesday evening is an option for going out and bagging some PRs. and also for having the emergency services called out to rescue you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just had to collect something in Airside Retail Park, near Swords. Just out of curiosity, because I may have missed something, how are you supposed to get back to the road to Santry when you approach the Airport roundabout coming back south on a bike? The road seems to pull you towards the motorway, there are no pedestrian crossings that I could see, and the cycle track on the other side isn't two-way. I managed it alright, but it required a lot of looking around and concentrating, and walking across a grass median. Just wondering whether I missed some obvious way of getting through

the cycle track on the other side is two way. AFAIK you're supposed to cross over at this pedestrian crossing (the painted bike lane ends at it), and cycle on the footpath on the opposite side of the road till you get past the airport. i take the middle of the road when cycling here, roughly where the passenger side wing mirror of the grey car up ahead here is, then merge into the bus lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4328091,-6.2295876,3a,75y,191.54h,88.88t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sUwooEhV09Y_-nWCM8ivcHw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DUwooEhV09Y_-nWCM8ivcHw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D173.09262%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

you can just about see here that the path i mention is actually two way; it's thus meant to take all foot and bicycle traffic, northbound and southbound, between swords and dublin (or anything else between the coachman's roundabout and dublin)

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4296711,-6.2300469,3a,75y,300.67h,82.71t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s4jPWElbt5ckDrfewKpFlog!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D4jPWElbt5ckDrfewKpFlog%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D243.94365%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement

That's interesting. I might have gotten confused because there definitely was a bit just after the airport heading north where it basically a narrow footpath that you were supposed to share with pedestrians and it didn't look two-way at all, and it was too dark to see any markings. I had to squeeze past some guy with his two kids. Really didn't look two-way at all.

Thanks anyhow. I'll know the next time. Though it might be a while before I go there again. I only went there because I had to get something for the kids and I could only get it there. It's something like a 60km round trip, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

it's probably the worst piece of cycling infrastructure i know of. they put in big wide shared paths south of the main roundabout at the airport a few years ago (and got a lot of the design arseways with them), but the stretch north of that roundabout is a wasteland as regards cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Carefully is the answer. I've never done it at peak times though, so have always been able to take a good position on the road. First time I was not exactly enamoured by it. Would be rare I go that way. I'd probably turn for the back of the airport, even though I get more bad passes there than anywhere else

"total control over the process in a womb-like personal environment" - I'm not sure you have 'total control' in the womb ...

That's one nutty letter. "Therapeutic benefits" of sitting in traffic fumes for hours every day elude me.

i don't think i'd want to sit in his car if the interior can be described as 'womb like'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

my boss just dropped €7k on a tri bike.

i must ask for a pay rise.

Advertisement