Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

we would be 6 months burying the bodies of their enemies , me included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Im not so sure our economy will be roaring in 2025. Over in the states they are printing money at a ridiculous rate ever since this whole pandemic kicked off. It can only last so long before they crash and burn again. The last time that happened over there it had a serious knock on effect in this country as we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I think this poster may be suggesting there is no real difference between the RIC and the Garda Siochana. I wouldn't agree, but I can see how someone could hold that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Rubbish, over 70% of people the IRA killed were British army or RUC, the rest were civilians judges, prison guards politicians etc. and of course unfortunately completely innocent people were also killed.

This romanticised fantasy that the old IRA didn't kill any civilians is complete rubbish they killed tons of civilians and disappeared about 150 people many of whom were innocent protestants with no part in the conflict but of course we only ever hear about the ten or so people disappeared by the provos because it's not politically advantageous to go on about them.

By the way the old IRA only killed about 260 members of the British army, the provos killed the same amount just in the North alone in the same amount of time 72-74.

If you actually read the comments you would see I never claimed he was a Gardai, first word in my comment was NO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no evidence of that from what i can gather anyway.

in fact from what i have read it seems they were overly hard on suspected IRA members regardless of whether they actually were or nnot.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in the legitimate courts.

the ones you and me would be subject to if we committed a crime.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not true that is an exaggeration of the SF narrative. I would say SF get the votes from the usual sources - hard core republicans at their base. Disaffected working class (proven by where the TD in my constituency got her votes). And also when examined further they got a a large amount of votes from youngsters in their 20's. Those who do not have full knowledge of SF's modus operandi by virtue of their age.

Many who voted for SF in the 2020 GE never voted before. Never mind voted for SF. It would be interesting to see if SF do eventually have the numbers to form a government. If they get lambasted for 'broken promises'

From the article below:

Sinn Féin surge driven by younger urban voters -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-surge-driven-by-younger-urban-voters-1.4164649

"Look at the numbers. Sinn Féin has jumped from 17 per cent to 27 per cent among under 25s since October. Among 25-to-34 year olds, the party has risen from 23 to 32 per cent. And among 35-49 year olds, the jump has been massive – from 13 per cent to 30 per cent."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Ok, that's great! Good to know that the Provisional IRA that Sinn Fein were the political wing of that blew up children in Warrington and other heroic deeds were the good guys, while the people (including my grandfather) who took on the might of the British Empire 100 years ago were the bad guys.

Every day is a school day.

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting the courts all over the world that do not rely on 12 random people are not legitimate? This will be a shock to the French.

I think you are suffering from the impression that British justice is the only justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree they should at least make a dramatic statement on it and then suddenly SF would be scrambling. I think FF/FG/Labour know that the numbers are not likely to be there for SF to form a government without one of them. So there is no need for a populst move for the sake of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

so the collapse in the ff and fg votes , were do you suppose those voters went to , considering the jump in sf figures ??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

both versions of the ira took on the might of the british empire ffs , and both were responsible for killing innocent kids , that's an unfortunate inevitably in conflicts

the old ira were not cuddly fairys either , and your grandad was a " murdering terrorist savage " in the eyes of some too

try to remember that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

An opposition can propose and argue for alternatives. SF have no alternatives for the housing Crisis (given they are a major player in causing it). Similarly, in the past 18 months SF have proposed no alternatives for dealing with the pandemic. All this despite us having the worst government in history. It really shows the level that SF are playing at when they can't even hold their own against the current shower of muppets.

Not sure why you are unable to answer the questions? They are pretty obvious. You could even point out that, given SF are in power over the border we could take a look at their performance there and see how they have had a disastrous pandemic response and also have a housing crisis (despite the fact that the population has only grown slightly over the last 30 years compared to exploding here, nor have they experienced the rapid growth in tech/financial etc in urban areas)

I'm not sure what you mean by the "power swap has presided over in 100 years". Are you referring to the fact that Ireland moved from being a a third world colony a hundred years ago or a developing country 40 years ago to one of the wealthiest since the millennium?

They are a terrorist grouping?

terrorists get tried in the SCC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The risk of not being able to afford a nice home for a reasonable price far outweighs any reservations about SF's past.

What in the name of Jeasus difference will SF make to that problem?????

They're both good in my eyes, you can bring up isolated incidences to use as reason to not support the provisional IRA whereas I could do the exact same which I did earlier, 150 people disappeared many of them innocent protestants, pregnant women being brutally murdered and I can also bring up incidences of children being killed if you want? You like many others have this ignorant view of the old IRA going around in capes fighting against evil and could do no wrong.

You bring up Warrington as if it's some sort of evidence that the PIRA were bad, do the incidences I brought up prove to you that the old IRA were bad? Only difference between the organisations is the completely delusional romantic nonsense and complete ignorance to all of the horrific actions the old IRA were involved in.

BTW, they both took on the might of the British, there were actually far more British soldiers just in Northern Ireland during most of the troubles than there was in the whole of Ireland during the war of independence believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Isn't our democracy in great hands at the moment

There is actually a very fair argument to be made that the old IRA were far worse than the provos.

The old IRA campaign that involved, amongst other things, the abduction, torture and execution of at least dozens of helpless teenagers and Boy Scouts in Cork, as well as the secret burial of their remains.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/historical-detective-trail-reveals-ethnic-cleansing-by-ira-in-cork-26697528.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It absolutely is.

We have a very strong democracy.

There's never any contentious elections, politicians trying to mess with the constitution, or the judiciary.

Sure we have had politicians that have been found to be corrupt but that is very different from politicians that try to change the electoral system or constitution to their gain.

And when we did have a new technology applied to our electoral system a good degree of scepticism lead to it being found unsuitable and (eventually) discarded.

Of all the countries of Europe that achieved independence between the wars only one has remained a democracy throughout, I'd like to keep it that way.

To be fair though, they have never had to, up until now it has been FF/FG running the show with no one else getting a look in.

The very nature of democracy makes it very hard for any other political parties to come into the mix as the parties in control usually have close links in mainstream media and elsewhere that allows them to maintain control and discredit any other parties before they can even get off the ground, just look at the media campaigns against Sinn Féin, they were even banned from the leaders debate on RTE in the last election, if it wasn't for the troubles and the IRA investing everything they had into the world of politics it would be FF/FG undoubtedly still running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Possibly non. But the manufactured housing crisis is a political decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't get this argument.

FF and FG are voted for by the clear majority of voters so they have every right to run the show.

For them not to have that right people would need to vote for someone else.

I don't see how, without radical change in SF, the other parties could allow them form part of a government.

Mindless populism won't get them a partner.

As another poster said they'll need to get more realistic.

They also need to understand most of their new vote atm is not for a United Ireland either.

That would also concern me. Would all our time be taken up dealing with the sh!tfest that is the north if SF were in govt?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Small parties have never had trouble being relevant in Irish politics

The PR system allows that, in the past Labour were strong, you had the PDs, now the Greens, Democratic Left had influence at one time and go back all the way to to the 40s when you had the likes of Clann na Talmhan and Clann na Poblachta.

Our system is far more favorable to small parties than the systems in the US or UK.

And this is something that is worrying, SF are trying to set a seed that there is something wrong with our system of democracy.

I read on another thread about SF trying to imply that TDs elected on late counts did not have the same legitimacy as their TD who were elected on the first count.

That sort of narrative is dangerous, and what's more dangerous is people believing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

they are going to get into power sometime regardless. all the armchair opinions wont matter a shite then. they'll either prove to be good in government, bad in government or as good as the rest of them - you wont know til you find out and we wont find out until they get a turn at the wheel.

Personally I think they give more of a bollocks for the average voter that any of the other parties. that might change once they get into power, and if it does they wont be getting my vote again

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

There's never any contentious elections, politicians trying to mess with the constitution, or the judiciary.

Was this all a bad dream then?

FF and FG are voted for by the clear majority of voters so they have every right to run the show

No they didn't, they didn't even muster up 50% of seats COMBINED.

In what shape or form is that a "clear majority" of any description Kermit?

And I'll tell you something else, I believe they'll get even LESS seats next time out, some drop considering they used to command a combined 70/80% of seats between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i suspect they ll be as good and bad as the others, it ll be interesting to see what they do in government though, but i suspect it wont be an easy one for them, i suspect they ll struggle to implement major changes

Advertisement