Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

What a save Martinez, absolutely unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,526 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Watkins made that chance with the run and pass to McGinn. I wouldn’t be too harsh on him for that, it was a good save.

Chuck and Sanson on for Luiz and Buendia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No idea why fans booing the decision VAR made the decision

He still should be scoring a 1 on 1 like that.

It was a good chance, yes, but you seem intent to ignore the part he played in the buildup to create the chance. Seems like you have it in for him reading comments in recent weeks tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Great win, and a very good performance all round. Creating chances, while controlling a lot of the game. Martinez's save was one of the best I've seen.

It doesn't matter what he done in the build up, McGinn put it on a plate for him, he should be scoring 1 on 1s like that, any premier league striker should be.

Interesting stats on BBC.

Won 3 out of 11 under Smith, 3 put of 4 under Gerrard.

Also 1st time to win from being behind all season.

Also we've never lost on 5th December in Premier League

Disagree. It completely matters what he does in the buildup or there’s no chance to miss! Surely that’s obvious?

As I said before, yes it’s a good chance but it’s no gimme, he’s running diagonally with the keeper rushing out and has to send the ball back the other way.

• Advertisement

When you get in a 1 vs 1 with the keeper in this league and your a £30m striker, you should be scoring. That's the type of chance your staying back in training to practice on week in week out.

Well at least we agree that the part he played in the buildup was important. I’m willing to give him a pass on the finish this time, he’s scored plenty he wouldn’t be expected to win this past 18 months and I’m sure he’ll score plenty more when needed.

Of course it was important, but it means little if he's not finishing it off. Even Gerrard mentioned in his interview that he should of lifted it over the keeper and it would of took the pressure off for the last 10 mins.

No mention of, oh he did great to setup the chance, let's give him a free pass then.

I’d be far more critical of Watkins for the one he should have laid on a plate to Buendia. He was lucky Konsa scored from the corner

I was afraid to mention that one in case you or anyone else jumped on me to say I was too critical of Ollie.

Anyway, Nakamba was my MOTM, I thought he was excellent at nicking the ball and just being a nuisance when the opposition have the ball. His transformation under Gerrard has been amazing so far.

Credit to Young too, he didn't look out of place at LB and his leadership was there to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭pavb2

If we hadn’t won it was because we weren’t more clinical in front of goal. I thought Ramsey also had a great chance and apart from Ollie’s one on one there was a chance where he could have rolled it to Cash.

Leicester had a great chance first half to make it two with a header and looked quite threatening from 70 minutes I was convinced they’d score. Buendia starting to pull the strings in midfield he’s getting better but agree he loses the ball too easily.

A much more nervy finish than it should have been but all in all a great result

Post edited by pavb2 on

Carragher interviews Gerrard here for about 20 mins, there's a real sense of determination when Gerrard speaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Zero idea why you’d come into the Villa thread to post this.

Anyway, great win. Game of 2 halves in a big way. Thought Ramsey and Nakamba were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I'd say a mixed bag of a performance again with the right result for us.

It's encouraging that we are getting good results while it's still obvious we're inconsistent in the games themselves.

I thought Leicester were well on top first half but we still posed a real threat and should have gone in ahead at HT. I think the disallowed goal was a poor decision. I felt Buendia in particular gave away the ball too easily first half and they broke very dangerously each time.

The second half started much better. We went ahead and missed two clear cut chances and a couple more decent ones. Buendia and Luiz were more consistent on the ball and it gave us a good platform.

I felt Cash played well in general but his final product was abysmal today.

We defended reasonably well for the rest of the game but it's another area that needs work, particularly once we lose the ball high up the pitch. As Gerrard and others have said. We need to be cuter/cynical on occasion.

It's 9 points out of 12 now for Gerrard and still lots to improve on performance wise. Sanson and Luiz back fit. Carney and Buendia showing glimpses of real ability with others to come back in.

A lot to be positive about looking forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Sorry but this is just nonsense, all strikers miss chances. Better strikers have missed easier chances. Watkins will never be a 25 goal season striker but what he offers the team overall is invaluable.

He should of scored, even his manager said it after the game.

Is Gerrard talking nonsense too?

It’s the over-simplification that you’re missing, from that position you’d expect an 8 out of 10 conversion chance (I don’t have any xg to back this up!!). He should have scored means he’s favourite to score, not that you score 100% of the time. Bringing up his price tag is silly when you can point to more expensive players (e.g. Werner, Joelinton) who offer their team a lot less or a player like Aubamayang who missed an open goal last weekend.

It’s fine to say Watkins isn’t the best finisher in the league and misses more chances than you’d like, but you have to admit he’s so damn important for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,213 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I was never too sure about how his personality would translate to management from when he talked as a player, but since he retired, he's always sounded great when speaking in longer form interviews like these. He did a great one a year or so ago on Carra's podcast which is well worth a listen, particularly when they get onto the second half and talk more about management.

The debate here isn't about his importance to the the team or not so I don't feel why you need to bring that into it and deflect from the actual point being discussed here which was that I said "Watkins should of scored that 1 on 1 chance"

The fact that Gerrard came out and said exactly the same during his Sky interview confirms my thoughts.

I'm sure Watkins himself is disappointed he didn't put that away.

No one has said he shouldn’t have scored. The point people are making is that boiling down the entire passage of play to ‘shocking miss’ isn’t a fair representation of the quality of the opportunity or the work done beforehand. I agree that Watkins will be kicking himself for not scoring.

• Advertisement

I'm taking the chance for what it is/was, not on the prior passage of play where McGinn put it on a plate.

As Gerrard says, he should of lifted it over the keeper.

Don Goodman on commentary for Sky said he should of dinked it.

I didnt hear anyone bar yourself and another in here say, because of the work he did beforehand he should be absolved from the miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I saw the Watkins chance as a great save and the Ramsey chance as a shocking miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Trez playing U23s tonight

Man Utd away in the FA cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Advertisement

Pity Ole wasn't still in charge.

At least we've won there already this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Man U won’t be thrilled with that draw either

Man city always get the handy draws for some reason

Trezeguet scored for U23s tonight, and played 60 mins on way back from injury.

Davis also scored

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

It was a very poor show in the second half. The much touted Iroegbunum was part of our team that was overrun. We were lucky to get a draw in the end.

Gerrard said it so there’s no debate? Gerrard was singing his praises a couple of weeks ago while you were on here calling him a disgrace.

In fairness we were missing our three best defenders - Bogarde, Swinkels & Feeney. Good to see Trez get a run but if we got a decent offer in January I’d take it, not sure he’s a player that will take us to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

But he’s our Origi 😂. Not good enough to start but always looks lively and has scored important goals.

• Advertisement

I'd be in favour of shipping him out on loan and putting him in the shop window for a summer transfer.

How's Guilbert doing I wonder? Wesley can't get a game for his team in Belgium at all.

How long is left on wesleys contract?

Hes going to lose us alot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Unfortunately that injury seems to have finished him at the top level. He’s never looked right since he came back.

He’s still only just turned 25 though so I wouldn’t like to be too final about the situation. It’s a monumental setback in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

If he's not getting his game he should be taken back and sent to the Championship or even league 1. Half a season at any level will be better than nothing and he's worth nothing to sell on as it is, so theres no loss.

A fit Wesley in the current team would be an asset even if its off the bench. The first season in the PL was backs to the wall stuff and no striker would have done well.

My daughter had booked to go to Krakow this weekend but what with COVID restrictions had to cancel. I had a ticket for the game today and the wife a claret member entered the ballot for the Liverpool match with zero hope of getting anything as I think there were about 1000 in the draw. Anyway she was succcessful and got two more tickets so we’re all off to Liverpool. Whatever the result it should be a good atmosphere and maybe it’s not Krakow but not a bad alternative.

Draw today would be fantastic

Yeah. We’re definitely not at the West Ham stage yeah where we can legitimately hope to put up to these kinds of sides consistently. Have to hope for a few things to go our way.

Ramsey, Targett and Young all start.

Trez and Ings back on bench.

• Advertisement

What was luiz doing on that free kick

Advertisement