Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Every day this goes on its looking more and more like it is.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Cmon, theyre not going to give up their celebrity that easily.

I noticed over the weekend a bit from the media lamenting over the "gagging" of NPHET by the government, Fionan Sheehan another one at it this morning.

Poor sods might actually have to do a bit of actual journalism now rather than feeding at the behest of our celebrity medical emergency team.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Is that aimed at yourself? You appear to be the most covid-obsessed poster here all day every day. Ironic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

For fûck sake!! What’s she saying now? We’re all bold boys and girls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Guest on Claire Byrne talking about 'long-term scarring' from the pandemic.

"Could that be positive scarring?" says CB 😐️ wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have you never heard the expression "what doesn't kill you makes you scream at the radio"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Waterford example was a concern, as far as transmission of the virus was concerned. The most vaccinated part of the nation with the highest incidence of positives. However hospitalisations and deaths didn't go up which shows the vaccines work well there.

As for "anti vaxxers", or at least the few I know, some are like your examples. Not anti vaccinations, but suffered bad side effects from them earlier this year. One chap I know was fecked by his first dose for quite a while, doctors visits and out patient hospital tests involved and refused to get the second on the back of it. Others got the full course, aren't anti vaccination, but are holding off on boosters because they're younger than 50 and got mild enough but noticeable side effects from the first lot. I only know a couple of actual anti vaccination types, one is from the former Soviet bloc and just doesn't trust authorities, the others are deep in the social media rabbit hole and are convinced this is all part of a planned reset to get us primed for constant injections of god knows what sterilising the population and a cashless society bent on control. Or something.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ah about that the usual auld crap.pubs etc,etc.then got all a bit bothered when asked if she needed permission to speak and said no.they ain’t letting go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

😂

And yeah, any time I have the misfortune of overhearing Newstalk by mistake.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's Newstalk's business model, outrage farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭quokula

I was due in for a long awaited surgical procedure today, but the hospital called this morning and cancelled because they're overrun and have no beds. I'm left in limbo and they said they'd call back when they know more.

This is one of the reasons why the selfishness and stupidity of anti-vaxxers absolutely does impact the rest of us, even if you don't believe they spread covid more than responsible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This happened often pre-covid too you know. Every flu season certain hospitals would very quickly hit capacity and have hallways full of dying people on trolleys. The problem is the HSE and their pitiful capacity - "anti-vaxxers" are just a nice scapegoat for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

536 in hospital this morning, which isn't a bad outcome from the weekend. Exactly what one would expect.

Hospital data has done a really odd levelling-off in the last 3-4 days. New admissions, new cases and discharges, have all settled, nearly flatlined. There's usually some level of variance day-to-day, but is the first time since August they've all levelled off so consistently. It's only a few days mind, so an anomaly more than anything else.

But it suggests a certain amount of equilibrium between case numbers and hospital numbers. Though average discharges are outstripping average admissions, so there's a good chance we'll see it drop for a bit yet before settling. I think I had previously said based on the UK figures that around 500 in hospital (100 in ICU) seemed to be their settling point, so that could be ours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

The hospital told you that they're overrun and have no beds due to unvaccinated people?! Wtf

I am unsure of what surgery the patient was supposed to have but major surgery requires a period of time in HDU/ICU bed post-op as it's a major stressor on the body (increased risk of cardiac arrest etc.). If can't guarantee HDU/ICU bed post surgery, the operation will be cancelled. Half of people in ICU at the moment are unvaccinated which presumably had a knock on effect. It's a sad situation and hopefully OP can get their operation soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Careful...Ireland has a very poor track record of putting child welfare first. Ask GSK.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yep . If we are to be fully open as a society that's looking like the figure that will be in our hospitals give or take. Once this new variant is hopefully confirmed as not game changing i think the HSE will be told to get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

93% over 18s vaccinated yet the place is "infested" with anti vaxxers seemingly? Are you having a laugh?? The use of the word "infested" is telling also - dehumanisation of elements of society is an age old tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Is it not half of all covid patients in ICU, as in about 50?

Nearly 2 years into this there has been ample time to prepare so that 50 people won't break the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

No half the people in ICU are not unvaccinated. There are maybe 50 unvaccinated in ICU that are positive for Covid.

We have no way of knowing if all 50 would not have needed an ICU bed regardless of Covid status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Micheál Martins comments last night has pulled all the little authoritarians out of the woodwork and given them permission to voice their true opinions.

Reddit Ireland last night was noticeably more extreme than it's usual extreme self. Some of the opinions being put forward are quite frightening if they were to be enacted.

The discontinuation of both the HSPC and (as it seems for the moment) the CSO vaccination break down reports makes it now almost impossible to see if the collapse of confirmed unvaccinated case rates continued beyond the 12 November.

It does seem from the new style HSPC report that the confirmed unvaccinated case rate may have been as low as 4% for the week between 12 November and 20 November. (Scratch that. See note below).

Beyond that is definitely unknown.

Edit: CSO report has now been updated with new figures. Percentages raised for some weeks.

New figures now correspond with HSPC figures for confirmed unvaccinated showing 13% all cases between 17 Oct and 20 Nov.

CSO report:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are you trying to make a donkey out of yourself?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Thanks for sharing that info.

I was bamboozled as to where the new report was relating to deaths & ICU by vaccination status.

The HPSC data is shaky at best, due to the "with covid" categorization rather than anything to do with symptoms / reason for admission / comorbidities etc.

As someone who works with stats every day, I find the packaging of the data deeply troubling.

It smacks of incompetence or plain old obfuscation, and I sense many of the disagreements among the public and here on boards can be directly attributed to the confusion that results from poor data collection and analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Prof Lunn said they have consistently found, for a period of two or three months now, that around a quarter to a third of the people they survey who are visiting cafes, pubs or restaurants to dine indoors do not have their Covid cert checked.

Another NPHET informer.

Unfortunately the new style HSPC report makes almost impossible to calculate the weekly ICU admissions and death notifications by vaccination status without going through months of other reports.

This is because they have changed the start date of the reports from April 1st to June 27th.

It may be possible to work it out again when the next report is released assuming they keep June 27th as the start date.

By then the information will be two weeks out of date rather than one.

This is because the current report only goes as far as the 20th of November which was also the end date of the old report released on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Only 17% of cases were in the unvaxxed cohort in the most recent week, yet c.25% of the total population is unvaccinated from age 0-99+. I wonder how the "unvaxxed are causing all the cases" crowd will spin this one?

I will put up whatever I find but it is not a secret. The information is there. It is just that the way it is produced makes it very difficult to interpret.

I can do the easy ones but only someone who knows what they are doing might be able to trawl through the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Yes, I spotted that there was no additional data from 20th Nov onwards, so we are missing quite a bit of recent data.

In my view there is no reasonable excuse for pooling data into arbitrary groupings (April to present day, June 27th to present day etc.).... which begs the question, why is it being presented in such a convoluted manner?

I had been saving the weekly reports in order to track ICU & Deaths by week. The pattern is all over the place, it doesn't make for any clear trend.

In recent weeks there were individual weeks where unvaccinated people made up +70% of ICU but two weeks later it was fully vaccinated making up +70% ICU. Such erratic data suggests there are major confounders at play, and problems in the way the data is being collected.

GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. Everyone should be concerned by this as it undermines the credibility of the stats being flung at us on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

How does that conflate to recent hospitalisation though?

is fairly clear that with community transmission a higher number of cases will be in vaccinated, as that’s the vast majority of the community. That’s nothing anti vaccination, it’s simple fact.

the correspondence of those cases to hospitalisation is where we need to be looking

Advertisement