Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

They reduce outbreaks among those unlikely to be seriously affected?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Why?(to both points -if you don't mind me asking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They provide a calming influence for those led by the hysteria and hyperbolic nonsense that characterises virtually our entire response to this "crisis" and the media coverage/level of "debate" on same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't know if it's the whole school this time, but 2 classes at least. Back in September when they abstained from homework, it was school-wide.

I'm presuming Covid overheads for the teacher is the justification, but those Covid overheads often seem to apply in the run-up to a break. There were also homework-less periods for the week leading up to mid term, sub week and some other random treat days for the pupils. Out of 90ish school days this term, I think there has been homework for around 30 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

There's only 2 full weeks left of school for this term and more generally it's a good move on the schools part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not understanding why homework is an issue wrt covid?

Our school has plenty of homework.

Will be interesting to hear what teachers had to say about masks today once kids get home. My 2 are wearing them ok, they have no issue with them but I know some parents (not many) were taking a stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Homework at primary school level is generally viewed as being of limited benefit to students. I'd imagine your school is either phasing it out or reducing it in line with the evidence. Many schools are redrafting their homework policies. I can't see the connection between it and covid but happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Would the fact that the teachers might be handling thirty copybooks a day every day, coming from all different households not be a bit of an issue

Unlikely, all homework is photographed and submitted online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

No. Well it shouldn't be. Fomite transmission looks to be very unlikely. Almost negligible. Its all about the air we breathe.

This is incompetently (or conveniently, depending on which way you look at it) rarely talked about by government and health officials in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Surinamo

Smiling reduces stress levels and stimulates endorphins as does being smiled at. Babies and young children love to see smiles 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Alot of parents fail to realize that a significant proportion of teachers who like to give out significant amounts of homework are sometimes compensating for what should have been done in the classroom. If the material was properly covered in the classroom that day, there's little need for much in the way of homework and this is particularly true in primary schools and in the younger classes. Parents would do well to remember this and that giving out lots of homework does not necessarily equate to a good teacher and good teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Our School has become fairly lite on homework too, I am delighted, homework achieves nothing, gives parents a pain their ass, causes nothing but stress, my girls walk to school and walk home and according to their teacher put in a great effort at school and work hard. They are shattered by 4pm and up at 7am. About time schools gave it up completely.

Homework can be beneficial. One rencounters information in a different setting (home) and helps embed knowledge and skill. But too much of anything is counterproductive. School day could be shortened -too much emphasis on knowledge and not enough on cultivating wisdom. I wonder if students feel tirder after a days mask wearing - Whatever about benefits, I would assume oxygen intake is decreased with some significance with partially restrictive breathing?

Ah, "fail to realize" and "would do well to remember". Some old school phraseology there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When all this is over, and a review of how things were handled is done, will it be found that the Government/NPHET blatently lied about the schools being safe originally?

Over the last few days, I have heard various experts say how the schools are a hive of infections at present, and they are accounting for a third of all cases in the country.

Yet they were safe as houses only a few months back, claimed many times by NPHET.

What changed? Or as stated, was it all a pack of lies to keep them open?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

It was all a pack of lies to keep them open. And the really dopey lapped up the unscientific nonsense about how it was play dates and sleepovers were the issue.

Our govt and nphet have nothing but contempt for us, they really think we are absolute gombeens.

Post edited by M_Murphy57 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Why do you want your kids getting so much homework?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'd love if ours ditched the homework. Mind you my lad only spends 5 minutes on it anyway but I'd love not to have to remember to ask if he's done it every day.

• Advertisement

It is good to show an interest in a child’s work - build encouragement, connect, observe, guide, and show pride and reward in work well done. When I train students I watch them work and ask what they think of the result -each day guiding, striving to be better until it becomes natural - instilling a sense of pride and self-value. The fruits of this labour shape character and bear reward at a later time. 👍

Maybe we have different definitions of 'so much' but I'd be perfectly happy if our 6th classer got 30 minutes of homework per day. Including weekends.

Is it unreasonable to expect our 4th class son to spend as much time doing homework during the week as he does playing soccer? And that's before we consider his other activities.

I think it's useful to build independence and take responsibility for getting something done in their own time.

Plus, ever since Covid, work in school has stayed in school, so we have less visibility of how they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

Well as parents we do that in every other aspect of his life so I don't see the problem with letting him have 5 minutes a day to do something independently of us that his teacher will check anyway. He's 10, not 5, so I trust that he will do the work to the best of his ability and according to his teacher his homework is always of an excellent standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Do the newest school rules make sense? Positive case in household. Son took PCR test, negative. School instructed son to stay home for a week and have three negative antigen tests. The PCR result is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah thats all correct. Close contact procedures were changed a few weeks ago for everyone not just schools. Household contacts restrict movement for 5 days while doing antigen tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Yeah, I know dem's the rules, but what's the point of an antigen test after a negative PCR test? Just wondering what the reasoning is for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you have a PCR on Day 5 they'd find it hard to argue. Antigen aren't as good as PCR tests so they ask you to do 3 over 5 days. One PCR at the end should be sufficient. But it could take 48 hours to get a result. Storm will have stopped testing today so there will be a backlog to clear as well. I'd do the antigen tests if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

On the homework debate, I can understand the parents view that the teachers/school are just looking for an easy life. I’m a teacher with 15 years of experience and I’ve tried every approach to homework that I could within my current place of works policy. Some things I’ve learned (these are generalisations which obviously don’t cover every child/parent/teacher, just some general trends). Also worth noting I’ve worked mainly with senior classes where lots of written work would be the norm.

1. The important homework (reading, phonics, learning of tables etc) usually gets the least attention at home but is the only homework that really benefits the child long term. And I’ve found when there is no written homework this stuff doesn’t get done at all. Makes no sense to me but it’s what happens.
    2. Parents like predictable, repetitive work which isn’t all that beneficial to the child. And generally both parents and children hate anything that might require their child to think outside of the box - I’m talking problem solving, project work etc. I’m not criticising here, parents are busy and kids have after school activities etc. If I deviate from the standard homework I give most weeks at all, I get all kinds of complaints.
    3. Homework takes up a shocking amount of school time. Last year when we went back to school after covid we gave no homework at all for September. I was stunned at how much class time I suddenly got back. The 20/30 writing down homework, giving out books and worksheets, explaining what had to be done. The 30/40 minutes (on a good day) correcting homework, giving feedback, dealing with the child who missed a week and couldn’t do the homework, dealing with the child who forgot to bring something home/back into school. And don’t get me started on the rows with the child who never does their homework. Never mind the poor child who is inconsolable because they forgot to do something and they think they are going to be in major trouble. That’s an hour minimum of my day that I gained where I could actually teach something new! It was eye opening.
    4. A huge number of parents just give their children the answers to their homework which is a giant waste of everyone’s time.
    5. Teachers spend a huge amount of time organising homework that they think your child should be able to do alone. Yes it’s part of our job but there is only so much time I’m going to give to my job after school hours. Id much rather be organising more interactive/engaging lessons that will actually benefit my students.

So my current approach to homework is I give homework but it’s optional. If the children do it, great! I’ll correct it, give feedback etc. If they don’t, fine. I record that it hasn’t been done, keep the parents informed and that’s the end of it. And you know what? The child who doesn’t do the homework achieves just as well as a similar ability child who spends up to an hour each doing homework. Tables and reading are the only things that really make any real difference to a child’s achievement in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Solid post. Thanks for the insight.

Do you think some form of a supervised study hour incorporated into the school day instead of homework would be beneficial?

It could potentially keep the positive aspects of homework, while not encroaching on their leisure time either, and also add a bit of variation to their day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This is the logic of your post.

(1) Schools are a hive of infections in December 2021

(2) Schools were not a hive of infections before December 2021

(3) The government lied when they said that schools were a relatively safe environment before December 2021

It doesn't add up. It probably isn't about logic, probably just a rant.

Advertisement