Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

retalivity wrote: »
    Have a few old phones for sale that my parents wanted rid of, had some clown keep lowballing on one of them, eventually got to an agreed price if I wiped and unlocked the phone, which I did. After that, he decided to offer less again, and keeps posting every few days saying his offer still stands.
    I've made a point of it now that I will sell to anyone else at what he's offering, and will just keep ignoring him. Such fcukaboutery over a 4yr old phone for €40

Why not just block him, and then he cant post on any of your adverts.
    I have left negative feedback for buyers that have made offers and not followed through with the sale. If you block them straight after you leave the negative feedback on their page, they cant leave any comments on your feedback record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I can't stand buyers that have to meet RIGHT NOW.

I'm just back from work/shops give me a chance ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

20/20 wrote: »
    Why not just block him, and then he cant post on any of your adverts.
    I have left negative feedback for buyers that have made offers and not followed through with the sale. If you block them straight after you leave the negative feedback on their page, they cant leave any comments on your feedback record.
    Cannot do it anyway. Retaliatory feedback if left, is removed.

Too many ignore the feedback. I have refused to sell to people and give free stuff based on their history and told them that.

Free kids toys and some ****ing vulture trying to get them so he can flog later.

Lad with -6 feedback for being a dick, every single one of them he had answered insulting the other users. Yeah, I'm wasting my time with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

Cannot do it anyway. Retaliatory feedback if left, is removed.

I have just checked and the last guy still has the negative feedback I left.
    I know if he goes to Mods it could be removed, but most accept they have done wrong and dont think of reporting feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

I once had a guy who agreed to buy a CD from me for €3 but wanted me to drive 70kms to meet up ... spanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

>Can you deliver
    <No it's collection only
    >Makes offer
    <Accept offer
    >I might get to you is a month or so, keep it up for sale and if it's not gone I'll collect

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

> Makes offer and says can pick up tonight or in next hour.
    < accept offer and look at profile, discover the bid is from some lad 200km away
    > now wait for them to realize
    > They then realise that they are 200km away and withdraw offer.

can g0bsh1tes not check the location of a seller before making an offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Only ever had two people haggle when meeting, both travellers funnily enough.

I had a set of alloy wheels with bald tyres for sale and this was stated. A young lad offered 80 euros for them which i accepted.
    He drove 40 miles to me. Then he was upset to find the tyres were bald and offered 60.
    I left him off as he was wasting my time. The funny thing was if he offered 60 in the first place id have accepted it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

20/20 wrote: »
    I have just checked and the last guy still has the negative feedback I left.
    I know if he goes to Mods it could be removed, but most accept they have done wrong and dont think of reporting feedback.
    Could be, but only if it's not true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Back at it again going awful hard trying to get rid of things

Gave away a few quality items for free on it, do you think I even got positive feedback? Not a hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Noxegon

€25, cash waiting!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Will collect! I must try that with my local supermarket.

I tell you what, I'll give you €25 for my shopping and I'll even collect it this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Adverts took a turn downhill when Odhran (yes, that Odhran!) decided it would be a good idea to get rid of the volunteers, the support forum, and charge everyone per sale.

• Advertisement

There's no fee anymore. Only if you want to cross list on Done Deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I didn't know that! Another failed initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

There are still volunteers.

All basic ads are free

The support forum continues, you just click REPORT and it is seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can't see a clusterfuck platform migration happening on Adverts though...

There are no volunteers these days afaik, just employee(s).

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

Not quite, there are still some of us volunteers floating around 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

One lad makes a low offer and states he can get it elsewhere for X amount, well go do that then, another lad comes along "Im not paying your asking price because that guy said its X amount elsewhere......

People who list & re-list unsaleable items items over & over for more than a year at a silly price.

There's one guy there at the moment trying to sell a faulty electronic organ for which no spares are available anymore for 100 quid since last August. Still hasn't got the message that it's worth zero & possibly not even that (I have picked up fully functioning ones for nothing).

Someone else has a 1970's Realistic hi-fi system which is shown as rated for 110 Volts only with a 220 Volt plug on the end of it. His reply to me was - "It doesn't work, but honestly, I don't think that there's that much wrong with it. That's why it's only 200 quid".

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tommydublin

Why are adverts charging €1 now to bump up an ad after 30 days 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tommydublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

I find adverts is very good for small low value things that are hanging around.. ive stuff up for 2 and 3 years that eventually sell for the asking price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

they're not really, they gift you €1 credit to do the bump, it expires after ten days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Donedeals system is worse, the ad expires after 30 days, you are prompted in the app to re-publish it but then that feature doesnt work. So the only way to get the ad back up is copy and paste the text from the old one and re-upload the photos.

Other than that has anyone noticed that Adverts seems to have gotten a lot quieter lately? Was looking for tickets there a couple of weeks ago, Adverts had 3 ads for them, Donedeal had 15+ whereas before they would have had the same amount of ads more or less for a lot of thngs. I wonder if its connected to the Boards upgrade with sellers who had Adverts accounts not bothering to sell there anymore. Or maybe its just competition from FB Marketplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'd say Facebook marketplace has topped adverts alright.

Only my two cents, but for many years people ruined adverts. It became to much of the norm to low ball people and ruin peoples chances of selling. Like, you are selling something for 50 then someone says offer 35. You can go sure. Only for buyer to never buy. Or "ah sure I can get that in xyz for cheaper" - then buy it.

Now adverts have ruined adverts. They show ads on... well ads. Ha. So say you place advert for something like I dunno, a jack Daniels belt (random I know) now you'll see adverts of jack Daniels belts on your ad. And if something is sold on wish forget about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Seen this on donedeal as well. Though I usually use an ad blocker. It doesnt really make sense to show those wish ads, why are they trying to compete against themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Facebook market place is a mess! Id rather stick to adverts to see peoples ratings before committing to a deal.

• Advertisement

When the hell did adverts start charging a euro for a basic bump?!

they give you the free credit to bump it, doesn't work on phone unfortunately, have to do through a browser. Also includes putting in on donedeal and i've sold a couple of things recently because of that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not seeing the free credit. Although mine is an old ad that so maybe that is it.

you get if after 30 days and it expires after another 10

It's silly. Like I get it on one hand... adverts.ie will make money by displaying ads and people are posting these ads. So people are doing the work for them. But on the other hand they are ruining peoples chance of selling. So eventually people will stop selling things on there.

Shooting yourself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭neeb03

Totally agree. I have been selling on Adverts for a long time but these new charges for Adverts and Donedeal is just pushing me to Facebook or alternative. Just not feasible to pay for several adverts every 30 days now and the "Free credit" is not working and is a ridiculous idea

Shame, it used to be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

I still use adverts - I think its the sheer amount of brand new stuff on sale there (cheap China imports etc) that makes it hard for buyers to find the used but still good unneeded items I sell.

But I like seeing the feedback and comments of potential buyers on Adverts - so I know who I can just avoid selling to or not expect to show up.

Thats whats missing from Donedeal.

Havnt tried facebook to sell ever - how does that work... ?

“Roll it back”

Agree completely, the feedback system and comments is great. It is simply the charges now have just become too much if you have lots of items up for sale, it can cost a fortune in advertising cost by the end of it. The initial fee for an advert seems to have gone up in all sections and now with the 'Free bump' gone, it is just too expensive.

Not if you have one or 2 items but if you have 30 it really ads up

• Advertisement

Alot of aliexpress stuff sold on it alright. I knew someone who sold fake NAKED palettes on it once. To be fair to them they said they weren't real without outright saying it. Saying "not sure if these are real, probably not, so the price will reflect that" they were selling them for 20 and real would go for 45 or 50 in shops.

I looked at the ad a couple of times and some of the comments were mad. One woman stating how she would only buy if a receipt was presented to her. I would have told her to get on her bike lol. Like you know they're not real. But what if it was? Sell for half price along with the receipt so she could go back and return it? Yeah right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is there a limit on how many users you can block?

I blocked a user yesterday but they are not appearing in my blocked list.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

In Germany the adverts website https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/ is free, gives user ratings and is pretty much used by everyone for buying and selling their unwanted belongings. There is nothing which comes close to it.

In the UK people use gumtree. There is a gumtree.ie which is free but it didn't get traction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭feelings

Jaysus, my eyes. Opened that website to take a look and I reckon 2/3 of that home page is just google ads.

that is the price you pay for not paying for classifieds but that is where all the buyers and sellers are to be found because it has the traffic. It finances itself although it and the network of classified websites from other countries was sold this year for €9.2Bn

selling adverts.ie to them at this stage might be best for its operators while they still have traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know the story with selling on FB Marketplace? I havent logged into FB in several years now so Im out of the loop. Do you have to sell through your own profile? Im not really comfortable with FB pulling all sorts of tricks like sending a notification to all my contacts saying Im selling whatever stuff Im trying to shift, that sh1t is just typical of them. Yeah Im sure there is some setting to stop it happening but it will be buried behind 10 clicks somewhere. If possible Id just set up a John Doe profile to sell through it but I think you need a mobile number to verify on sign up and mine is already used with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Just get a PAYG sim to receive the txt then throw the sim away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Tried to buy a banjo from a guy who had two advertised in Co. Leitrim

Made an offer for the asking price

and messaged him, pointed out that I was less than 30 minutes away from his given location and could meet whenever he liked.

Four days with no reply, then get a message saying that he had been messed about so much on adverts.ie that he wasn't going to sell them any more.

The ad. was up for another week after that...

Jeez ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

One thing that really sucks with Adverts.ie is if somebody under-bids for an item and another person bids the specified price that the seller specified, and then the original bidder comes in again with the price that the seller specified, the seller then has the option to pick who he wants to sell it to.

The first bidder should be automated as the winner as he/she is the first person willing to pay the price that the seller specified.

It's murky, unfair and shambolic otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

yes- i like it that the first person to offer asking price has priority.

if buyer really wants it pays to not being a cheapskate :)

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
Advertisement