Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's the thing. People blame unvaccinated but there are very likely some people who can't get vaccinated. It might be miniscule but as you say it's like 50 in ICU who are unvaccinated so it's a fecking miniscule amount anyway that are the "issue". Anyone who can't get unvaccinated for medical reasons are likely to need ICU treatment if they get covid so this could be a whole lot of nothing in regards treatment of the unvaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭brickster69

Here is the UK latest data

Certainly a lot of covering it up going on. This morning the experts are giving out pure lies about it

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Yeah the icu charts in particular make no sense. There is no trends popping up whatsoever.

The deaths on the other hand wee showing a definite trend but not one that was going to be reported.

Another thing I found curious was a news report from two weeks ago where a single line mentioned that there are 24 people in ICU since June. The vaccination status of that 24 was not mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I think you should be asking the question as to how in 2021 in a first world country with one of the highest per capita spends on health in the EU finds itself in a situation where with a population of 5 million having around 50 people in icu means your're left in limbo rather that blaming "de unvaxxed" just cos the man on the telly tells you they're the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

A stay at home order for the unvacced would be a lot fairer at this point.

Only leave home for essential reasons.

€5000 fine or 30 days in prison. Place all the emphasis on them, not businesses policing them or kids wearing masks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Surgeries have been deferred and cancelled every winter for years due to capacity issues in Irish hospitals. For example from 2018: HSE Winter Plan highlights vulnerability of scheduled surgery – RCSI President - Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and from 2017: Surgeries at Cork hospital cancelled for two weeks as flu and 'revelry' make their impact (thejournal.ie)

You really have to hand it to government & HSE PR that they have manged to deflect criticism of years of government incompetence and mismanagement away from themselves and onto the bogeyman of the unvaxxed. Unfortunately people are buying it and absolutely lapping it up as they have a nice handy bogeyman to direct their ire at i.e. the "unvaxxed", while the government and HSE get off scot-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

No fear they will publish research dissing Nolans failed models.

They have their excuse for this year's trolley crisis in the bag already.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The media will always misreport any data in order to generate fear. Normally they will just fabricate conclusions with impunity - but somehow our HSPC are also helpfully generating extraordinarily oscillating data, without explanation, for them to play with!

Our Public Health team have an ethical duty of care to make known their concerns. Tony Holohan had a moment a couple weeks ago where he spoke out about vaccines and transmission. We need another one of those moments now. I think lots of people who are cautious about vaccines would have more trust in our HSE if we saw that type of leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don't know which is worse - the fact that unvaccinated people are being used as an excuse for our annual winter hospital issues, or the fact that people are actually buying it.

I think the unvaccinated are idiots, but the idea that they're to blame for any bed shortages is preposterous.

25% of cases are in under 12s. 100% of whom are unvaccinated. You may want to re read the data source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Meanwhile in Germany, they have just appointed an Epidemiologist as Minister for Health.

https://www.politico.eu/article/epidemiologist-karl-lauterbach-germany-health-minister-olaf-scholz/?s=08

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So 42% of daily cases are unvaccinated.

So obviously not causing all the cases, but still a big chunk. And of course 25% of them in a group who can't get vaccinated. Still plenty of unvaccinated people out there for the virus to keep circulating at high numbers.

Looks like the under 12's are driving the cases though, their % week on week has been increasing due to the **** show of stopping contact tracing in the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

why are you treating them with kid gloves?

these people are a danger to humanity and could cause the collapse of western civilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

He has studied epidemiology but has actually never practised as a doc or anything. He is a party politician first and foremost. But at least his qualifications match the new job. His predecessor was a banker. Not that thats in anyway remarkable. Most ministers dont actually seem qualified for their resort. So I give him that.

But he's on every talk show and in every paper every single day (literally). He is Germany's number one shrill doom monger. To the point where I have wondered in the past if there was something wrong with him. And I dont think thats just my bias talking. He comes across as a bit unhinged. He's like Claire Byrne with a party affiliation.

As for his appointment I'm actually surprised. I thought he was going to be the useful idiot dropped the moment the elections were won. Like the Farage of covid.

Having said all that I think he's genuine to some degree. While he talks in the most pessimistic superlatives only and has spread nonsense himself he has called out other people's nonsense in the past, too. He is nobody's fool that way. For that I'll give him the benefit of doubt. And like I said at least what he's talking about has its roots in actual qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's funny those laying the blame at hospital capacity, clearly ignoring the wave of much harsher restrictions across Europe. I've a colleague arrived back today from a European tour who had to skip Austria because of their lockdown, and a relative who arrived in the Netherlands for work yesterday, basically has to stay in his room after 5pm because there's literally nothing open. Even the hotel bar & restaurant is closed, room service only. Germany, Belgium, lots of others imposing far worse restrictions than we are.

Is our capacity sh1t? It sure is. Are the new restrictions necessary? No. Are the unvaccinated a problem? Abso-****-lutely. Even the UK, the shining light of the let 'er rip brigade, is bringing back in restrictions to protect their hospitals from the unvaccinated.

This is a much more complex problem than, "If our hospitals were up to scratch we'd need no restrictions". Would we have less restrictions? Oh for sure. Would we still need masks & certs for indoor spaces and be stressing over infection rates in kids? Yes, we absolutely would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Are the unvaccinated a problem? Abso-****-lutely

You seem to know a lot about the problem of the unvaccinated, can you explain more about the composition of unvaccinated people (demographics, conditions, reason for being unvaccinated etc), particularly those in ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I'm not sure I agree with this. We have one of the highest vaccination rates in Europe, and our hospital numbers are relatively stable now. Therefore vaccines are clearly working, and I'm in favour of vaccinating as many as possible. But the vaccination rates are lower in the countries you mentioned and that's why they've had to reintroduce restrictions. I'm not convinced that the remaining unvaccinated numbers in Ireland are causing such a drain on hospital resources. And I also believe they shouldn't, i.e. in a rich first world country with the high level of vaccination we have, and with what we know about the dangers Covid poses to various age groups, we should be able to cope better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why would we still need certs? They achieve nothing from a health perspective. I get masks, I get (though often disagree with) other restrictions. But the certs are nonsense, they aren't stopping infections. The only valid argument I can see is to encourage people to get vaccinated, but there aren't even making that argument.

• Advertisement

Lately I have found myself zoning out from all of this nonsense. It's clear now that:

1) Vaccines and boosters won't end the hysteria

2) The numbers don't matter. If the powers that be want restrictions there will be restrictions.

3) There is currently no real appetite for normality to resume.

It looks to me like Europe has no real plan other than hopeless restrictions. I reckon we have a few years of this before money really starts to dictate strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

To be fair, we have higher vaccination rates than the countries you cited, it may only be a couple of percentage points, but they clearly do matter. And I don't agree with your last paragraph whatsoever. If we had enough/more than enough hospital capacity, why would there be any restrictions for a largely-vaccinated public? And kids don't get sick.

Also, what restrictions are UK bringing back? Masks in indoor settings is all I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Does anyone here know ICU nurses ? I do . A huge percentage of our unvaxxed in ICU are non nationals. They don't read the Indo, watch prime time or Claire Byrne .

Covid certs aren't going to make them get vaccinated.

Looking to increase our vaccine uptake is a pointless argument

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was always going to be very slow once we achieved close to maximum vaccination. Over time they will pick off some more but probably not that many. I believe there are now specific campaigns in certain communities to try to encourage them to get vaccinated. In some of those communities the vaccination rates are very low so it makes sense to target them. 

COVID certs for anything other than travel are a NPHET invention. If the government could drop them tomorrow they would as they have no great fondness for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They may have inadvertently been a bribe to get vaccinated at first, but at 92+% eligible done, they won't make a difference to the rest.

Where they do make a difference is reducing the chances of the unvaccinated getting infected (where they are 12x more likely to end up in hospital and take up a bed) and if they do, from spreading it to others, where the reduction in transmission wanes from vaccination time but still appears to be apparent (even in the home setting with almost continued exposure). Maybe an age cert would be better but good luck with your political career after doing it (+ everyone can get vaccinated, people can't be younger no matter how much they try).

Even the UK is bringing them in (Wales, NI, Scotland, Boris doesn't give a sh*t about the English) along with every other European country, country's with the highest vax uptake are also seeing the lowest hospitalisation rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The argument is open-ended. I noticed I wrote "need", when I meant, "If we wanted to access these spaces, we would need...". I didn't mean that that they would be necessary from a control perspective.

I've said before there is considerable value is restricting access to high-risk spaces such as hospitals and nursing homes, to the fully vaccinated only. But I'm less sold on anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭brickster69

Amazing stuff from Sweden really, just getting on with it. No idea if vaccines were much to do with it or not but it seems to of worked.

Even with Delta going around the amount of over 65's going to hospital and ICU is crazy low compared to others.Will be interesting to see what things look like in a couple of months when it looks like those just above them seem to be just kicking off again.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

and the UK which was been back to normal for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Covid certs aren't just unique to this country. I was in Germany and France a few weeks back - covid certs required every where. Hotels, restaurants, bars, tourist attractions.

Advertisement