Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Apart from 5 costly errors he was decent... talk about setting the bar low!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’m not setting a bar. I’m judging his full performance as being decent overall with a small number of high profile errors early on. Those moments amounted to about 10-20 seconds of the 60 mins he played and the last one was the defensive error for the Arnold try on 28 mins. He made 3 or 4 botched passes of his 53 passes. It’s okay to judge him on all 53 rather than just those 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

McGrath wasn't great early on but he improved.

Leinster have the current Irish first choice, a very serviceable European level SH and McCarthy is as good a third choice as we can hope for.

What's the problem?

We aren't going to be signing anyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah c'mon molloy, I think you're being extremely lenient. If a player has made "4 or 5 costly errors at crucial times", he'd want to be ripping it up for the rest of the game to pull his performance up to decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

He spent a month twiddling his thumbs......a lot of players are game rusty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think that because Leinster have been on top for so long, there's a tendency to jump on any negative points as evidence of decline. The posts on boards.ie from the first 20 minutes of Friday's game were iffy at the time but are hilarious in retrospect.

Like, it's only a couple of weeks ago that Luke McGrath was called up to the Ireland squad. He may well still be Leinster's first choice. He's a very decent player.

McGrath is a decent player, I wasn't aware he got a call up in the end? McGrath is in a similar position to R Byrne, his competition for the place is away most of the season with Ireland so he will end up playing the majority of Leinster games. This has been the way for R byrne for years. The question is when the big games role around who will start? at this moment in time I think JGP will edge it based on the AI's but not much in it

He wasn't in the initial squad, but I think he was called up when JGP was ruled out injured. He hasn't played for Ireland since 2019 tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Someone is going to get seriously injured while Busby keeps his breakdown interpretation...

I know for the sake of keeping the attacking rugby flowing refs don't call sealing much any more - Leinster probably benefit from this more than other teams.

But they at least ping dangerous off feet clearouts.

Both sides were flying in off their feet at frightening speeds on Friday.

Ping it early and set the tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You're right that they're two decent options but if you ask what they could reasonably hope for then I'd say they're missing a young prospect.

JGP and LM have kept things very competitive for the starting Jersey but they have been lacking a young 9 to push them as they age. Doak in Ulster is better than anyone could reasonably hope for as he went straight from Ireland U20s to Ulster first team action. But Leinster has no real prospects at 9 beyond JPG and LM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Doak would have to be prised from Ulster's cold dead hands....

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Just back to say that I thought HB had a good game on Friday night, now, more game time...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah and maybe leister will give away Furlong and Porter and maybe Sexton too. Shur, why not?

In all seriousness, The RTE lads were discussing loaning out H Byrne for a year to get him some consistent minutes in England or France. I'd be fine with it as a one year deal. Unless they plan to get him enough game time at leinster this year then they're wasting time getting him up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yet I’m sure I wouldn’t have to search to hard to find posts from you criticizing his passing ability.

Luke is a great SH apart from always having accuracy issues with his pass. In the last 2 weeks those issues have been very much amplified. Although he did sort it out from about 25 minutes in on Friday.

Theres a very obvious reason that happened though. Our pack started winning collisions and creating cleaner ball. Once normal service was resumed, well normal service was resumed.

The worrying aspect about the last two weeks. Was the fact our pack were getting beaten up and our game fell apart. Considering neither team are renowned for having forwards that dominate other teams. That leads to concerns of what happens when we come up against teams that can beat us up, up front. If us being able to play expansively can be negated by a pack fronting up to us, then we will struggle in later stages of the ERC for definite.

Most would have said the same about Carbery a few years ago :-)

I was only joking anyway as I would think Cooney might jump at end of season to England/France and Doak ends up number 1 at Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

A good point. The halves get way more possessions than players in other positions, so more errors from them is to be expected.

On the contrary, after initial errors it's very common to see players try and force the game to make up for it.

McGrath stayed calm, tidied up his game and continued to lead the team against an impressive Connacht outfit.

We're lucky to have him, clearly a hugely respected member of the team and despite a few weaknesses to his game a generally impressive scumhalf that loads of clubs would be delighted to have.

I wouldn’t agree personally. I don’t think 3 or 4 bad passes and 1 bad defensive read in 60 minutes of rugby from a scrum half is as bad as some have made out. I’m not trying to say he was great, but he delivered for the vast majority of the game. His performance wasn’t great. It wasn’t terrible. He did what he had to do for the vast majority of the time that he was on the pitch and did so well enough. Those errors would take his performance from good down to decent. Because he was good for the most part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Unfortunately when one of the weaknesses of your game is passing it tends to be a bigger issue at scrum half...

It's not what others have made out, it's what you yourself have made out:

"McGrath made 4 or 5 costly errors at crucial times, 1 defensively. But other than that he actually was decent enough."

If we was decent other than the errors, then by definition, his overall performance was less than decent.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with any of the last line, Venjur. But that can be true and he can have played poorly over the last 2 games, particularly with some of his passing. Both of those things can be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I like McGrath but 5 bad passes in a game for a scrum half is a very poor performance, against a top European team that could lose you the game.

Ah you’re taking casual conversation a little too literally and strictly there. The point I was making was that Luke wasn’t as bad as others have made out. He made his errors but he also played well enough not to have those define his full performance. Does it really matter the exact words used in a casual setting like this?

Fair enough, but I'm not sure what other what I'm supposed to read "4 or 5 costly errors at crucial times".

I personally don't think he had a decent performance. Some of his passing was really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think against Bubble Bath I would go for:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. Bryan Aird
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ciarán Frawley
    23. Jordan Larmour

I think Toner is probably the best foil for Baird, and the Toner/Baird pairing would, I feel, be slightly stronger overall than any combination featuring Molony, despite the fact that Molony has been excellent this season.

Deegan would be a good fit on the bench with his ability to cover 7 and provide impact.

Hopefully TOB gets in ahead of the flawed Larmour.

His passing isn't great and never will be. His playmaking, defense, support running and general awareness are all excellent. And his passing accuracy % is likely only slightly worse than the top 9s in the world, we only notice the errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kinsella also reports that Sexton, Conan, Ryan and Healy are "maybes" for the Bath game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yup, he's an excellent rugby player. I just don't think he will ever be anything but a serviceable scrum-half because passing has been his biggest issue since he was at U20s and that is just not tenable in his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Any word on Leavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bath have been absolutely awful this season, have lost every game so far and shipped 70 point losses twice in the league so far, even with a few injuries Leinster should be looking for a good win here.

Advertisement