Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I love Salahs pass to himself. Only a few players could have the technique to pass to themselves with perfect weight, and then have the speed to get on the end of the self pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That’s mental. Imagine how good he could have become if it weren’t for that Everton player butchering his ankle. He’s never been the same player since in regards to his physical attributes, but the quality is still there in key moments.

He’s still very useful to Liverpool, that’s the main thing.

Leeds look in real trouble now I wonder would they sell Raphinha in January to bring in funds to buy a few players.

A late draw for Leeds, probably enough considering, they look like they'll chip away to the 35pt of safety.

Although next they have away to Chelsea, Away to City, away to Liverpool 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like Rafa is getting the backing from the board at Everton as Brands is set to leave his role at the club.

The ex Liverpool mini league Rafa, Gerrard & Rodgers battling it out to be top of the midtable league.

Rafa really has no chance with that Everton board.

Gerrard will be backed to the hilt by his billionaire owners.

Rodgers will be doing a Rodgers and promoting himself for his next job as another one of his teams burnout of the Rodgers effect.

I wonder will Klopp bring a full strength squad to Milan for the game on Tuesday.

I can see Salah wanting to play he will be going all out for the European Golden Boot this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

His posts smack of entitlement we played well but didn't score, doesn't invite the need to write off our subs before they had a chance to be as brutal as the regulars. Just don't like sh1t like that. Moany entitlement. Not for me.

This isn’t the first time that the quality of Origi, Ox, Mina has been called into question. I guess we will find out during Afcon if they are able to maintain the teams momentum.

We don’t all have to agree though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It was only on Friday i mentioned how Salah does that Messi thing of an extra quick touch that catches everyone out, Well if u rewatch the Origi goal he's done it again,

99 % of player cross. it with the second touch but Mo sees it could be blocked so takes a quick touch & crosses it with the 3rd it amazing how many times his extra half touch opens up space for him, It looks like nothing but only Messi uses it a frequently as Mo

I think Liverpool are seriously contemplating selling Salah, he really wants to stay

''"I said it several times, if the decision is up to me, I want to stay in Liverpool,"

“Your financial value shows how much the club appreciates you and that they are ready to do anything for you to stay, but the decision itself is not based on those financial matters only,” the 29-year-old said. “There are things like the ambition of the team and the coach and what he wants to do with the team and the players he wants. These are all important points when making the decision."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think Harvey Barnes would be great at Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

I think its a vital time & looks like both player & club are playing there hand , I'd image its very close to being done or falling apart,

Personally i can't see Edwards not wanting to leave Salah as his final gift, also I'm sure Jurgen has enough credit with the owners to make at least one big call ocntract wise, he let the Gini one slide not sure he would be happy to let Salah leave ,

Another way to look at it, I doubt FSG would contemplate letting Salah leave for free, so if the contract isn’t signed by the summer, they will have little choice but to consider offers for him. Hopefully it never comes to that, but Mbappe/Messi are showing that prize assets know they can get better deals by letting contracts run down.

I wonder could PSG be on the phone & FSG are tempted by Mbappes age ?

PSG know he is leaving and could save face if its for Mo ,

Id hate to see that swap i think MO has at least 4 or 5 years left at the very top & i think Mbappe could want to leave us within a year if he joined i don't see him being loyal like Mo ,

I'd take the deal for Mane cause i feel Jota could replace Mane long term ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Lads mbappe is never coming to Liverpool. I don't know what's going on with Salah but they really need to tie this thing down asap. Give the Man whatever he wants

I’d say we are in for 6 months of agent/sources close to Mbappe dropping hints about Liverpool and his admiration for Klopp, before he signs a mega contract with RM or PSG.

So right now if everyone is fit when we lose Mo & Mane for Afcon what line up would you go with ,

Personally right now i reckon 4 2 3 1 would be the best fit, normal back 4 then, Thiago/Hendo with Fab , Jota left, Bobby as a 10, Ox right , Origi CF

In pure fantasy id love to see

......................Becker

........Gomez.....VVD.......Konate

Trent .........................................Tsimakas

...............Thaigo.....Fabhino

.............Firmino........Jota

......................Origi .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I don't think he'll change the formation - he seems to want to stick to the 4-3-3 wherever possible.

I think the front 3 will be Jota - Bobby - Taki

I don't think Origi will get the start as his work rate wouldn't be as good as Taki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Let's just say for arguments sake that Salah wants the 400k a week. About £21m a year, for 4 years is £83m, give or take. That's a lot of money to commit to.

But IMO, it would nearly be worth it.

If Salah can continue his fitness and guarantee 20-25 goals for 3 more seasons after this one, we'll be doing well. A 4th season and a good output level is still good going.

The other side of it is having to sign a replacement. So again, for arguements sake let's say the replacement costs £50m. He is going to want high wages too and a big contract. So at £200k a week, for a 5 year deal, that's another £52m. The replacement night be on lower wages, but all in its costing the club more. And he might not even work out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

If Liverpool won't pay their current best player what the top dogs in the league are on, how on earth do we expect them to pay Mbappe?! Even if he is younger...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

For me Salah currently is operating at a higher level to Mbappe and there is no guarantee Mbappe can ever get to his level. While I wouldn't be too confident on Mbappe coming anyway, I would find it hard to accept if they did it and let Salah go.

Salah is putting the pressure on FSG now by putting the ball in their court by saying what he said. He may be 29 but I would pay him what he wants. He has been at time the best player in the world the last few seasons and is showing no signs of slowing down. He wants to stay at the club. He is irreplaceable in his current form. Interesting to see how FSG handle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I completely disagree. We aren't Chelsea, City or PSG. We have a budget and whatever Salah is being offered i am sure it's a very very fair deal and massive amount of money. Saying "give him what he wants" is all well and good but what happens when Virgil comes looking for more or Fabinho, or Allison etc.. Also we will need to rebuild the side in the next few years and any massive wage increases will have a profound impact on transfer budgets.

Tbh i've made my peace with the fact he's more than likely not going to be a Liverpool player come next summer as knowing FSG they haven't got to where they are without boxing clever and i see zero chance of them paying him the reported 400-450k quid a week. I just hope it's not City or Chelsea that come throwing the bags of cash his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Fabinho, Robbo, Trent, Hendo, Alisson & VVD already signed new contracts last summer. They won't be asking for new contracts again. There's a reason why Salah was left to last really.

I suspect the “younger” is the key. Mbappe would have a high sell on value even if things didn’t work out in the premiership. Salah’s value would be reducing through out a five year contract.

I would definitely go with a proven player and pay Salah as close as possible to what he wants. But the club I suppose have to consider the long term affect of a mega contract for him. Assuming all playing staff want him to stay, it’s up to the money men now.

New commercial partners would pay for Salahs new contract. Then need to sign some billion dollar companies up. I dunno who is working on that part for the club, but they have done great, but seems they are resting on their laurels the past while.

New stand could be a good naming rights deal for someone. I find that a bit tacky though.

Give Geely a call, put their name on Salahs socks. It's so easy.

• Advertisement

I see no Henderson, Thiago or Jota in todays training session

But all 3 only back from injuries before starting the last 3 so could be doing recovery sessions ,( although Robbo would be the same)

FSG should hire some of the Liverpool fans who know how to do contracts and the deal would be sorted in an afternoon.

Yes. There isn’t much you don’t know, you are the man for the job Agent. God Speed, get him signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't know much, but I do know of the Salah thing is not sorted the reaction on the terraces will not be good.

Hes easily out best player of the last decade (sorry to Luis) and is defo in the conversation for best to ever do it for us (though my vote would be for Kenny)

Watching and listening to Tsimikas doing the presser he seems a really fun and good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

We shouldn't be posting our opinion here or even discussing the issue since we are not doing the contracts for the club and by doing so we must think we are better at the job than those doing it. Better off just following the twitter gospel according to Coulson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

The last time we had somebody similar to Mo was Micheal Owen. Somebody who was truly world class and as big a marketing figure on the pitch as off it. The monetary value these lads hold to the clubs is massive.

We didn't have a team to match Owens ambitions and he moved on to win a European cup(I still laugh at that)

The difference now is we have a team to match Mos ambitions.

Not paying him the wage he deserves could cost the club a lot more money than actually giving it to him. Add in the fact that they need to replace him and it really makes no sense not giving the 400k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Isn't it illegal for Club commercial partners to get involved with direct payments to players via wages or other bonus schemes?

To be fair Owen saw Macca leave on a free and win two La Liga's & two European cups so his decision to go to Madrid to try and win a European cup looked like a very good one from his prospective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Ah to be fair, on paper it was the perfect move for him. A Ballon D'or winner going to what is probably the biggest club in the world.

Liverpool looked to be going nowhere fast. A half decent cup team who looked to be light years away from competing at the top.

The difference with Mo is he's in the type of team that Owen wanted. Everything is there bar the contract he wants.

I don't mean direct payments to players. I just mean there are a lot of multi billion pound companies who could be added to our list of commercial partners. Sometimes you have to go to them, sell the deal.

We have a decent list

Always room for more. These new electric car companies in China are good targets, but there are many many targets out there.

The next big thing will be players getting paid 50m to get a company logo tattooed on them. Who needs a shirt, print it directly on to my skin 😋

Also with Mo right now there are only 3/4 teams that can afford to buy him and then pay his wages and Madrid and Barca aren't on that list.

I don't see him going to City, Chelsea or Man U who all could afford to buy him and pay his wages.

That really only leaves PSG and does he really want to go and play in the farmers league I think myself he is a lot more ambitious than that.

I don't just think the contract talk are down to wages myself, I think right now Mo is on the trajectory to not only being the most famous African footballer in the world but the most famous and recognizable footballer in the world and with that comes huge image rights issues and personal deals that will also be linked to the club and his image in the Liverpool kit that's going to take a lot lawyers and time reach a deal that suits both the player and the club.

They forgot about inviting the Boards.ie Superthread to the party.

SoS speak for us all now.

Liverpool FC has launched a new Supporters Board to deliver meaningful fan representation on strategic issues at main board and executive levels.

The development, which comes after extensive consultation with representatives from Spirit of Shankly in recent months, was confirmed today with nearly 99 per cent voting in favour of the new engagement model by members of SoS, the club’s recognised Supporters Trust.

The board has been developed as part of the club’s commitment to strengthen dialogue with supporters and increase the involvement of fans in decision-making processes in order to ensure engagement is more robust and effective. As such, the new process will be put in place to enable deeper consultation with supporters on fan-facing strategic decisions.

The Supporters Board will be made up of a group of supporters that represent the club’s diverse fanbase. The Supporters Trust will be responsible for running the Supporters Board and will be liaising with its affiliate groups and the wider supporter base in order to ensure such representation is achieved. The Supporters Board will hold regular meetings with the club and the chair will be invited to attend LFC’s main board meetings when fan-facing strategic matters arise.

The make-up of the Supporters Board will consist of 10 Spirit of Shankly committee members, plus six other representatives drawn from other fan organisations, including Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association, Kop Outs, Spion Kop 1906, Official Liverpool Supporters Clubs, Liverpool Women’s Supporters Committee, and faith and ethnic groups. The chair and vice-chair will be elected from the members of the Supporters Board by the members of the Supporters Board.

The existing fan forums structure will remain in place but will be reshaped into three main working groups to cover ticketing, matchday experience, and equality, diversity and inclusion (ED&I). This will ensure operational issues and ‘day to day’ matters continue to be discussed by club officials and supporters in order to facilitate tactical collaborative working. When appropriate, these matters will also be represented at Supporters Board level.

The new engagement process will be enshrined in the club’s Articles of Association and a legally binding Memorandum of Understanding between the club and the Official Liverpool Supporters Trust will be entered into, thereby ensuring supporters input on fan issues via structured dialogue.

Billy Hogan, chief executive of Liverpool FC, said: “The idea for the Supporters Board came from an understanding and recognition that there was a lack of engagement with supporters on some important fan-facing issues and that was something we wanted to address. We had the ability to engage directly with a number of our different supporter groups, and we started with our official Supporters Trust, Spirit of Shankly..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

We aren't picking the team either, so no point discussing that unless we think we know more than Klopp.

Let’s not discuss anyone who might be bought or sold, we are not in a position to make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The issue with Owen was the manner of his departure, himself and his agent were a pair of sneaky feckers. His agent went on 'sabbatical' two years before his contract was up so he was unavailable to negotiate an extension with the club, Houllier never forced the issue. During that time, the agent was hawking his client to teams in Spain (Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia). When he arrived at Liverpool, Benitez was aware that there was an agreement that Owen would sign for Real Madrid when his contract at Liverpool expired. He forced the issue of the contract extension or Owen was to be sold immediately. Madrid couldn't fit him in the team at the time because he arrived the season before they actually wanted him to.

Steve McManaman was a very different situation, he stalled the contract negotiations with Liverpool while his mother was terminally ill and Houllier began leaking stories about him to journalists. That soured his relationship with the club and he vowed to his mother not to renew his contract as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The only way I can see mo leaving is if the club have lined up another goal machine to take his place (haaland) if they got huge money for mo it would pay for haaland and probably his wages too ,I can see the logic,but I'd not want mo gone, nobody like him anywhere near as good. And his fitness is astonishing.

Advertisement