Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So you have answered yourself! Go today to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Gusting 96kph Mace Head currently

The calm before the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 12z ICON has shifted south by about 100 miles, and would cut off long intervals of the strong winds for west Munster although not all of them so warning level winds would still occur, just with interruptions. Will need to see any confirmation of this trend on other models before taking it very seriously though. There's always one model, it seems, that loses the plot near the end of the marathon.

The new ICON solution would make this an east wind storm for most of the country north of Galway to Dublin, would probably increase the risk of snow accumulations on higher ground in Connacht and Ulster.

Will be a while before other models update so check back 4 to 5 pm for a more comprehensive look at the full range of 12z guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I just read the rte news summary online. Emotive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some raw data showing gusts above 80knots in Dingle early tomorrow afternoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I apologise, I didn't mean to be disrespectful.

Its just that every single thread like this has this exact same point made repeatedly.

The county based weather warnings are there because they are easy to communicate and administer. There is no precise spot where something changes from a red alert to a orange or yellow alert, people are going to use their own judgement most of the time. Yes, the weather may not be equally bad throughout an entire county, and for bigger counties like Cork, you may go directly from Red to yellow in a neighbouring county, but that is deemed acceptable to make the system easier to communicate and administer.

Should a school principle have to make the decision on whether to open or close? No, if it's orange they open, if it's red they close. Easier for everyone to understand, the parents can't get mad, and the principle can't take undue risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Anyone think there is a chance Galway and Clare will go red?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nope. Though winds will be very dangerous in the West and North tomorrow evening so stay in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think there is a chance. If you have kids and are in Clare or Galway, possibly even Limerick, maybe a good idea to have a plan b in case the schools are shut

• Advertisement

Arpege and GFS 12z have similar track and intensity to previous runs, so not doing the ICON shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Taking no chances here, driving down to the summer house in West cork, directly across from the sea so taking everything in. Hopefully 140km/h winds won't happen! Would hate for the house to get damaged.

Out of interest, what was the max wind speed for the south coast during Ophelia? I know roches point was high enough but do we have stats for say around Skibbereen / Clonakilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

The last time Waterford was Orange and Cork Red there was a swathe of ground from Dungarvan to Limerick /Tipperary border that got absolutely hammered, well into Red. The real problem is that wind doesn't follow county boundaries. So as you say, experience of previous events should do more to inform decisions about planning, damage mitigation, travel, power outages etc. than any simplistic map. So in West Waterford I'm going to assume the worst and if it doesn't happen, happy days. I'm not going to blame Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sboyle

What winds is waterford looking at? Any chance we might go red?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

all eyes on the ECM then! Is Icon considered reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looking at the charts Waterford should be red also!

Not as reliable, and if it becomes odd man out very unlikely to be onto something. But first time for everything ...

Almost all other guidance now has the track of the low into Galway Bay and through the midlands to east Ulster. UKMO has shifted a bit to the north of previous runs but is still south of other guidance, south Clare to Dublin track now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Great to have the option of working from home, I have some dodgy trees to pass under on my usual route to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

This thread is experiencing rapid cyclogenesis!

/BINGO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

All calm on the south west coast anyway still, no big waves yet. Mad how quick it can change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Fastnet 191 km/h

Roches Point 156 km/h

Kinsale 141 km/h

Sherkin Island 137 km/h

Cork Airport 137 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

CLARE GOES RED!

Status Red - Wind warning for Clare

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Storm Barra: Northwesterly winds will reach mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts in excess of 130km/h. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.

Valid: 16:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 01:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021

Issued: 16:21 Monday 06/12/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im in Tipp,

Should i tell herself to bring in the washing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Probably a safer spot than being perched on the Reeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mythor

Charts have had Waterford / SE borderline by my reading - I was surprised we stayed Yellow for as long as we did. It will be interesting to see what transpires

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We got an email that no one working in the kerry office was to go into work due to the risk

I asked my boss if that included going from my kitchen to my office. Been WFH since March last year. She said it didn't 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Thank you Clare,Kerry and Cork for shielding us here in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

In Tipperary. My neighbours just let out the bins for collection in the morning......

GEM also stays with the thundering herd, model sheepdogs have been sent out to bring ICON back to the fold.

Satellite imagery at 1600h showing the probable location of the developing centre at 50N 25W.

Model consensus before we see the ECM is for a landfall around 1300h near Galway Bay. Strongest wind zone remains south Clare to south coast. Thinking Tipps and Kilkenny should probably expect orange alert conditions as suggested by some earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Clare in a red warning till 1am Wednesday

Advertisement