Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Dan Leavy: will return to full training this week having come through the Graduated Return to Play Protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster Rugby | Injury update ahead of Champions Cup opener

JGP, ROL and Leavy back this week

Not a positive update for Ryan at all.

James will continue to train with the team and in line with World Rugby protocols James will continue to be monitored including seeing an independent concussion consultant as part of his return to competitive action

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think Luke is a lot like Ross Byrne in that he has found his ceiling. His weakness isn’t something that would be exposed too much at provincial level, even in some of the bigger HEC games. However it is one that would likely be found out at Test level. He’s been a bloody good player for Leinster and some of those other attributes he has shown have been fantastic. His form in the opening rounds of the URC was really good. But as you said, his passing is a fundamental weakness that has never gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Some of ye here are very negative .. last week it was Harry byrne that ye nearly wanted to fail... he played more in 1 game than he had in the previous 8 months and he has a decent game and now ye have taken aim at luke mcgrath as he had a couple of poor passes. Show me a scrum half (bar dupoint) who plays with pace who doesn't have a few hairy ones now and then.

From what I've seen he is trying to up the tempo where possible and it takes a few games to get to the pitch of it.

If its the style of game we are going to play there will be mistakes.. jgp's pass accuracy is no better

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Personally, I won't be happy until McGrath is completely run out of the sport for besmirching it with his passing...

McGrath is an excellent rugby player as I said. His kicking game is top notch and his decision making is great. He does not, however, have a few "hairy ones now and then" - his passing is noticeably substandard and always has been. That generally exhibits in a number of poor passes and the rest being ok, which is just not good enough. He has had periods of it being better and worse obviously, but it has always been the weakest part of his game. If it weren't he would be a shoe-in for the Ireland team given everything else he has. After seeing him at U20 I thought he was a standout player and that once he got some senior coaching his passing would be dragged up to standard and he would be a lynchpin at 9 that Leinster haven't had in decades. But that is not what happened.

• Advertisement

you realise luke mcgrath has been 1st choice 9 for what 5 seasons?

and during that time leinster have won 1 european cup and 4 league titles.

some achievement if his passing is sub standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

And yet has still had relatively little international experience. easy to cover up a scrum half weak pass in the league especially when youve such a completely dominant pack in front of you 90% of time like luke does in the pro12/14 ...

I do realise that. The standard he is below is not Pro14 standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Luke is a very good player! None of the 9's are perfect! Marmion too has passing issues! Murray is slow and pedestrian!

Luke has over 150 appearances for Leinster. He does have his weaknesses, but he's very capable!

I'm just hoping that Ben Murphy can be a good player. Otherwise, Leinster are in a position where both of the top 2 9's are getting on in age and JGP will be awol with Ireland for parts of the year. McCarthy is not a good option, imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

It is hard to know with McCarthy. He never really played that much prior to his move to Munster. He never really played when with Munster. So now back up and still not really playing.

A lot of people had huge question marks over JGP when he first came to Leinster as well but he got loads of game time and came good, especially when he had Sexton etc playing with him. Remember the European semi v Scarlets when the huge worry was McGrath was not fit, that was the game which really kicked off his Leinster career.

After a certain period, if a player isn't really playing in two different teams under two different coaching staff then its no longer hard to know.

Not much to suggest Murphy will be good enough to push either JGP or McGrath.

Cormac Foley has been in fine form this season for Lansdowne, but again looks unlikely to push into top 2.

Fintan Gunne has a chance, but he is at least two years away you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Thoughts on the centre pairing for Europe?

I'd personally go with Frawley/Henshaw. I think it's been more effective and balanced than Henshaw/Ringrose and I just don't think you get anywhere near the best out of Henshaw from 12. Those two were a real bright spark in the Ulster game in an otherwise poor performance.

Henshaw and Ringrose are both quality players but I'm not convinced by them as a pairing. I think it's less than the sum of it's parts.

Henshaw, with his footwork and power with an out and out distributor in Frawley inside him really complement eachother in a way that I've never thought Henshaw and Ringrose do. I get that on paper, Henshaw/Ringrose looks better, but when I've seen Frawley and Henshaw play together they look a more effective pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'd really like to see Frawley get a run in a Euro game but I think the chance of it actually happening are infinitesimal if one or the other of Henshaw and Ringrose don't get injured, or the pool and a home QF (if that is even how it works now) is mathematically wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I disagree, Henshaw and Ringrose when both are on form are a quality pair and close to one of the best in Europe. The question has always been when both are on form. Ringrose was flying the year Henshaw wasn't great, henshaw was flying the year Ringrose lost all form.

By the looks of the NZ game etc Ringrose is in a streak of form after a bad injury run last season and bad form. Henshaw seems to have returned and kept his good form. I too would love to see Frawley get a game in Europe but the question is how do we get the team ready for a very tough game in Montpellier. Do they go fullish strenght this week due to the rustiness of all the players so far so they are ready for Montpellier? If so henshaw/Ringrose for me

I think we wont see Robbie this week so he can start the next two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I don't think Frawley Henshaw is necessarily a better combo than Henshaw Ringrose but I'd absolutely love to see it in a big game.

Frawleys confidence this season is monumental after some big leaps forward and I think he deserves a good crack at a Euro game

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Frawley's determination to pull the team with him against Ulster was very impressive. Hard to see him dislodge either centre at the moment but sometimes these things take time. Like if either Henshaw or Ringrose get injured and Frawley fills in for a few months and performs well. That could lead to a situation where the coaches have to ask who the best players are.

ROL filled in at centre in the past and I never felt he was going to challenge for the jersey when the first choice lads were both fit again. But Frawley might be able to press the issue if he keeps playing well and improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ringrose 12 Henshaw 13 might be a good combo for a while, Henshaw offers way more power and threat at 13, Ringrose might suit the playmaker and tackler role at 12, he doesn't have half as much threat as Henshaw with ball in space in my view.

Frawley looks great on the ball, alongside H Byrne they could almost play as two 10's, swinging from side to side and taking contact every second carry.

• Advertisement

I think there's a decision to be made at hooker too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

But if you want a playmaker 12 then you're really looking towards Frawley.

I don't disagree with anything you said but if you think the playmaker 12 is the more important factor than elusive running, then you might favour Frawley overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kelleher is first choice by miles right now. His performances in the AIs were world class. Sheehan certainly looks a capable deputy.

Kelleher starts and Sheehan replaces him. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'd be surprised if there's any decision to be made either at centre or hooker tbh.

Robbie Henshaw has the week off so.

He's first choice but definitely not by miles. I genuinely don't think there's a lot between them. Kelleher came through a bit earlier so he has the edge in terms of experience but give it a couple of months and I think it will be 50/50.

I actually think Sheehan will ultimately be no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

im bringing my 8 year old to our first game on Saturday, any dos or don’t most welcome! Thanks

Hooker or centre we have a couple of excellent options.. you wouldnt be too worried who starts. Same with back row and back 3. Big question is over who starts in 2nd row and the half backs.

Id go luke and Harry for this week, keep some consistency and luke most likely is captain.

2nd row is very open.

We can guess ryan is out for this week anyway so options are

Toner, Baird, Moloney and I take it they are making Josh murphy into a 2nd row player? No mention of Jack dunne either.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Baird and moloney with toner off the bench. Not the strongest line we have currently

• Advertisement

Advertisement