Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to approve online transactions via BOI app

Options
  • 16-09-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi

Since the introduction of SCA I am no longer able to use my BOI Mastercard online. I go through the purchase process, get a notification to approve a transaction on my mobile device, click swipe to approve. Next I get a short delay, then the normal window to input my PIN pops up. When I input the requested digits, it takes me to the app home screen with my accounts listed, nothing about approving a purchase etc. I then click on the approved on app button on the retailer's website but get the message that the purchase was not approved. Am I doing something wrong or is there something else going on here. The card is on my 365 profile. App version reads as

V 7.09

BOI.UBPR22-1

2.6.4 - 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

To approve an online transaction on your card you should be able to do so by opening your Mobile App and select the option 'Waiting for your approval' which is at the bottom of the home page under where you log in.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Thanks for the reply. As stated in my original post - yes, I get the notification, then I swipe to approve, a message appears confirming approval but it does not work, it redirects then to enter my PIN and the transaction on the website fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Thank you for coming back to me here.

I'm sorry to hear this.

In this case I would advise contacting our support team on 0818200362 and one of my colleagues would certainly be able to look into this for you and offer further guidance.

Thanks, Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Clontarf 3

Hi

I have the same problem - I get message to swipe for approval. When I swipe it brings me to page that asks for pin to login and below is approve outstanding transactions. When I click approve outstanding transactions tells me there are no outstanding transactions.

Very frustrating now looking at moving account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I have the same problem. I can't use my credit card or debit card online recently at all. Coming up to Christmas this is going to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I get this exactly too.

Used to be able to pay my CC easily with my 365, now simply never works. Complete disaster of an app.

Also thinking of moving my business elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here today. If you are experiencing difficulty with receiving the swipe notification to your mobile device we would ask that you ensure that you have push notifications enabled on the device, that you are using the primary registered device. If you are completing the transaction using another app we would also ask that you delete the card details restart the mobile device and add once again.

Having followed the above if you are continuing to experience the same difficulty please contact our customer service team directly on 0818200362 and our colleagues here will be happy to help.

Thanks Jen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm another with this issue this morning. Notifications appear, and are approved, yet seller doesn't get authorisation. Not much point in a system whose security is so heavy handed it not only defeats crooks, but also defeats its intended purpose.

Thanks for getting back to us here. In this instance we would recommend that you contact our Customer Service Team directly on 0818200362 and our colleagues here will be more than happy to help with this.

Thanks Jen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It was the same with Amazon today. It began working a few hours later. I find it hard to believe both Dell and Amazon both had the exact same matching outage at the exact same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

We have some steps here to assist with authorising the card purchase - https://www.bankofireland.com/sca/

If you are following these steps and have restarted phone, you could also try if you are using wifi to change to you mobile data to see if this makes any difference.

Once you have approved in quick succession, retailer should be picking this up on their site.

If you continue to have difficulties please send a PM with the details and we can arrange a call to you. (Please do not include your account info)

Many thanks

Alison

Post edited by Bank of Ireland Reps on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I am sorry to hear your wife had difficulty approving this transaction last night. My colleagues in customer service can certainly check this if she calls them on 0818365365 between 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. They will be more than happy to help!

Many thanks,

Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I had this problem last week when attempting to make an online purchase on my laptop using a BOI credit card. I got the SCA message on my mobile, approved it, went back to the laptop and clicked on 'I have approved in BoI app' but it would not complete the transaction and I had to give up.

Research would suggest that having approved the transaction on your mobile, you then must logoff and exit the app in order to complete the authentication.

From p.5 of the the BoI (PDF) brochure: A Guide to Strong Customer Authentication

3. Once you open the Bank of Ireland Mobile app you will need to swipe to the right to approve the transaction and enter 3 digits of your 6 digit 365 PIN. You will then be prompted to exit the Bank of Ireland Mobile app and return to the seller’s site to proceed with the transaction

No, I only saw it when I read the SCA info on the BoI website after the event. It was the only plausible explanation. I haven't had occasion to use my CC online since.

BoI support: can you please look at my post (#19) above and ask your technical people the following:

After approving the transaction on the mobile app, is it necessary to logoff and exit the mobile app to complete the transaction?

Hi coylemj

Thanks for coming back to us.

Once you complete the 2 steps, 1st is swiping to approve and 2nd is entering 3 of the 6 digit PIN, you are then ready to go back to the purchase site and click on I have approved on the App. Logging out of App is not necessary to complete the approval.

Hoping this helps

Many thanks,

Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hi guys

I hope the below helps. I experienced the same issue since approx. 28th of October.

I get to the point of where I am getting the approval to the App but then a variable of things happen.I since resolved in yesterday the 31st. What would happen is that I would get the approval notification on the App, Id approve but then there was no callback and/or when I clicked "I have approved" on the sellers site it would not do anything. Other times I would get the notification but ONLY when I manually checked the "Waiting for Approval" This is an option at the bottom on the App login screen under the user ID.

To fix this. I fist closed the BoI App. Then went into settings (Android) and cleared cache and all memory. Then deleted the App from the phone.

Reinstalled the App and went through the setup.

I then proceeded to process the sale and the notification showed almost instantly and the transaction was processed instantly, with no issue.

While certainly not ideal from BoI, it would seem some changes or something were made in the background.

At least this may get some people sorted with their transactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Rattlehead_ie

Thanks for sharing this here and glad to hear you were able to resolve the issues experienced.

Thanks

Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭juno10353

Having same issue all day with mult iple sites. BOI Verifies, but site for purchase does nothing

• Advertisement

Hi there

Thanks for getting in touch with us and sorry to hear you are facing these issues

Please remove your card details from those sites, restart the device you have the BOI app downloaded on, re-add the card details to the sites again and try the transactions once more.

If this does not resolve the issue please contact my colleagues on 0818200362 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and we will be happy to help.

Thanks

Declan

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. If you would like to send us a PM with a bit more information we would be happy to help as best we can.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hay81

Everytime I try,same issues as above, absolute head wrecking experience, hours trying and failing to pay a supplier this eve and many failed times trying to top up my revolut card also for emergency payments using my phone google pay. Needs to be rectified, can't be stuck like this

I was skeptical about the suggestion to uninstall and reinstall, but I caved and did so. To my surprise, it did change things. The app now behaves differently, with different screens, i.e. text under the PIN line making it clear that this PIN entry is for the sake of the approval, and with a new dialogue after that stating the approval was successful. Given the change in behaviour I can only assume BoI botched the updating of the app, leaving an outdated and broken version in place.

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. If this is an Android device please follow these steps. >Manage Apps>BOI Mobile>Storage>Clear Data. Restart the device and reinstall the app if needed and try the transaction once more. If you are still facing issues please send us a private message and we can assist further

Thanks

Declan

Hi

Glad to hear this issue has been resolved.

We are always working on improving the functionality of the app and making it a better customer experience so we appreciate your feedback.

If you face any further issues my colleagues can be contacted on 0818200362 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks,

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cuchculan

This issue is still happening. Go to order anything off the net and get a message saying the card issuer has blocked this purchase. Tried ringing them up and no joy there at all. Is a site we have ordered from on many occasions with the same card. With the run up to Christmas this is going to put a lot of people out.

The uninstall then reinstall the app advice above actually worked for me as well. There are slight differences in the screen also. I think having had the app on this device for a couple of years, even though it had updated to the latest version seems to have something to do with the problem. Anyone having problems, I'd suggest trying this first.

Hi there

If you are receiving an error saying the card issuer has blocked this purchase I would advise you to call our card security team directly on 1800946764 or on 00353567757007 if calling from abroad so we can check the card.

If you have done so already and there is no block on the card, please contact our SCA team on 0818200362. Our colleagues are available between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and will be happy to help resolve this issue.

Thanks

Declan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cuchculan

We are closing down the account and moving what money we have elsewhere. Like to be able to spend our money when we want. Not have all these issues. Not worth the hassle.

Advertisement