Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I think the problem here downcow is that the DUP are viewed as the dominant strain of unionism.

Most unionists that I know do not in any way display the blatant bigotry that is openly demonstrated by the DUP but a lot WILL vote for them given the nature of NI politics.

I don't think anyone can seriously argue with the point that the DUP are "relentlessly negative towards its neighbour" if by "neighbour" the poster was referring to nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I never mentioned the plantation or compared it to migration. Check your history. Seems someone has told you the Scottish Presbyterians were all planted here. I am descended from Hamilton’s( indeed it is my middle name). We were here before any thoughts of a ‘plantation’. Many Scots were here generations before my family.

….and while you are at it, check your history as to why my community are referred to as black barstewarts you may be shocked to discover that there were people lower than the poor Irish catholics in the pecking order

now I could dissect the nonsense in the second part of your post but that may be interpreted by some as trolling so I’ll not.

Well we don’t know who the poster was referring to as ‘neighbours’ and he doesn’t seem to intend clarifying.

for you to switch ‘dominant unionism’ with ‘DUP’ may help to rescue him. But I doubt that’s what he meant as he could have typed 3 letters instead of 16 if that was the case.

if we fantasise that this was the case and he means DUP, then you have joined him in his prejudicial statement. I know lots of DUP, including elected representatives for whom that statement certainly would not fit. But hey, that’s the definition of prejudice. You’ve joined his club francie. If you want to leave his club then try saying ‘some dup” or ‘’the dup people I have met’. Even the dup are not all clones.

i have met ira members who are not sectarian bigots. Indeed I have one in mind who imho is a very decent well-meaning individual who cares about people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Oh I know that.

I know YOU don't think the DUP are bigoted and corrupt but they are.

You think the Orange Order are acceptable ffs so I wouldn't pay much heed to your definition of bigotry.

Elected DUP representatives work for a bigoted and corrupt party and therefore must accept that they will be labelled bigoted and corrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Man you full of it, it is right there in the post I quoted. You mentioned migrants from 4 centuries ago, which is slap bang in the Ulster Plantation. Undoubtedly you will try and wiggle your way out of that statement now. If you didn't mean the Ulster plantation, why did you say 4 centuries? Oh yeah, I checked because I was pretty sure your were telling porkies, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland was founded in 1610 according to their own history, and that the majority of Scottish settlers were Presbyterians who came to Ireland during the Ulster Plantation.

Nobody has ever said there were not settlers in the NE from Scotland before the plantation. They were concentrated in modern day Antrim and Down, some were Catholic, some were Protestant, That doesn't change the fact that the area that makes up the 6 counties was mostly Irish, and Ulster considered the most Gaelic part of Ireland, thus the reason why the Crown wanted to change that with the Ulster Plantation, which as I said in modern terms would be considered ethnic cleansing. Taking land of natives and giving it to settlers in an effort to eradicate them is not simple migration. That might not suit your viewpoint, but thems the facts.

Post edited by Fr D Maugire on

Maybe you should clarify; do you regard it as plantation when Irish kings sold their poorest land to Scots who then worked to improve those lands to be some of the best on the island. If that’s the case then I suppose that a Scot buying a house of an Irish person is in your view plantation.

ps you are full of it if you are saying that my Scots family arrived as part of a plantation

the laugh of all of this is that we are talking 400+ years ago. Compare that to the USA etc. You’d have a lot of people, including the Irish planters, to send home

Yeah, as I figured more silly attempts at avoiding the facts.

You were the one who claimed your Presbyterian ancestors came to Ireland way before any plantation. Considering that the Presbyterian church in Ireland was founded in 1610 after the Ulster Plantation had already started, that would seem highly unlikely. Not my problem if your claims don't match the reality.

If you don't know what the Plantation of Ulster was, I suggest you google it. Definitely nothing to do with Irish Kings selling off their lands to Scottish settlers. If you think that is the case, I am sure you will be able to provide some evidence to back that claim as opposed to what any official version of plantation explains.

Nobody is looking to send anyone home, you were the one who compared settlers from 4 centuries ago i.e Ulster Plantation to modern day migrants, which is nonsense and you are being called out on your nonsense.

Whilst your at it, maybe you could explain why Presbyterians celebrate the 12th of July, when it was that event that led to the introduction of the penal laws in Ireland which along with Catholics persecuted Presbyterians also and led to many of them leaving Ireland to travel to the US and also to the founding of the first Irish Republican movement which in Ulster was mainly composed of Presbyterians. Seems strange to celebrate an event that would lead to your own persecution does it not. Also were you ancestors Republicans as so many Presbyterians from from Belfast, Antrim and Down were?

Here we go again. I said ‘many’ of them came before the plantation, not all of them.

I did not compare the plantation to migrants - much as you wish I had.

let me ask you. Do you believe there would be little or no Scots in ni had it not been for the plantation?

do you know which two counties of Ireland contain the most Presbyterians and do you know if they were planted?

are you sure nobody wants to send the brits home? I seem to remember a very recent banner being held by the sf leadership which told our Anglican friends to return to England?

you are correct about us changing allegiance a few times. Yes we all need to ask why Presbyterians felt the need to reject republicanism having led it for years. But that’s ok. It’s a strength imho to be able to change.

I do know a bit of this already, but still interesting. I hate to break it to you Downcow, but that is still a plantation, it might not be the official Ulster plantation, but it was still a private plantation. If someone gains possession of land(in this case through plotting/scheming and not by happily selling it as you wrote) brings people from another country to settle those lands, it is a plantation. What happened to the locals? your link says the land was laid to waste in the battles with the Crown, but I see little mention of what became of the people who lived there. It is an Ulster Scots site so it doesn't surprise me there is little mention given to the locals.

You make statements, but leave enough wiggle room to then backtrack. So when you say many of our people, it reads like you are talking about Protestants in Ulster, but it is actually some Presbyterians in areas of Antrim and Down specifically. Not the same thing. Also 1606 is not way before 1610.

I already know why the Presbyterians switched sides, it is the same idea that has always underpinned Unionist thinking to this day. The Catholics are going to wipe them out. Any people who have gained at the expense of the native population, especially a much larger native population will always have an inbred fear of the natives claiming revenge. The Indians in North America, the various civilizations around the World under Empires, Israel, South Africa, the list goes on, especially anywhere where fear was used to keep the natives under foot,

The 1798 rebellion scared the crap out of the ruling Anglican class, because the United Irish men ideal of equality for all was a real threat to their privileged position in society. They realised they needed to get the dissenters on to their side, so they used propaganda to convince the Presbyterians etc that the Catholics were going to wipe them out. It was propaganda at its finest and it worked a treat. You can still see it in the thinking of Unionists including yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

At it again.

This in my first post.

"Ridiculous idea that this can be separated from unionism which has been represented by the DUP (First Minister) for some time now. The UUP has been an irrelevancy for a decade."

Everyoe else knew what I meant. But you somehow missed the important point. Again. Why does it happen so often?

So you've ignored a substantive point again and just a few pages later, are trying to rewrite history, quibbling, muddying the waters with irrelevant debates about who said what. This thread is riddled with the same kind of stuff, deflection, mitigation and enough straw men to fill the Curragh.

And then a truly remarkable statement about an IRA man.

Beyond trolling at this stage.

Leave me out of your nonsense thanks.

You say “Everyoe else knew what I meant”. I see only two responses to your post and both say they don’t know who you mean by ‘neighbours’.

I was simply making the point that suggesting ‘my people’ arrived during the plantation of ulster is more than a little simplistic. I know you don’t like to admit it but the largest influx of Scots to ni was as migrants fleeing famine in Scotland. They were starving and got on boats to the nearest land. Not such a stretch, as you suggest, to compare with some of the modern day migrants (not all).

Are you really suggesting that there was not mass migration from ulster to Scotland (and vice versa) long before and long after the plantation event?

i know it pains you to admit the suffering of my cultural community, either in the recent conflict or down through the centuries, as it challenges the republican narrative, but few suffered more than the ‘black-mouths’ and yes many were migrants

The motto of the Scots Presbyterian settlers in Ireland translates ‘persecuted but prospering’

Post edited by downcow on

There was always movement between Scotland and Ireland, but it was not in the form of plantation. The most famous Scottish family in Ulster prior to the planations were the McDonnell clan who were Gaelic and Catholic so hardly 'your people'.

Also when did these Scottish famines happen? because a quick search shows they happened well after the plantations.

Comparing the plantation of Ulster to modern migration is simply nonsense of the highest order and you well know it.

As for persecuted Presbyterians, the people who spent the most time persecuting Presbyterians were your now fellow travellers the Anglican Church. It is funny how you play the persecuted Presbyterian card whilst at the same time celebrate the event that led to Presbyterian persecution as the most important part of your culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I can't recall exactly how this works but afaik if Ireland and Scotland were to temporarily reform the ancient kingdom of Dál Riada it would grant Scotland immediate membership of the EU.

It would subsequently dissolve and Scotland would become a member of the EU on it's own. Something like that.

I’ll say again. Your black and white interpretation of the history of OWC is both ridiculous and naive. Just need to put you straight on a few things

again you sectarianise and stereotype the situation. Firstly ‘my people’ means different things to me in different situations ( I feel I need to say that before disingenuous posters try and imply that is my grouping at all times - sometimes my home town are my people, sometimes my cultural grouping, sometimes all the people of ni or Uk, etc,etc) but this time it does refer to ulster British including Ulster Scots.

you tell us the mcdonnell’s arriving was not plantation. Is that because they were Gaelic catholic? It seems they were ‘plants’ of the British.

your statement that mcdonnell’s are not my people is ridiculous. Some are, some aren’t - but that doesn’t work in your B&W world. Indeed eg a key Presbyterian minister during the ‘great revival’ was the Rev Mcdonnell.

I didn’t say there was a famine during the plantation. Again you need it all to fit your wee narrative. Are you saying many tens of thousands of Ulster Scots did not arrive as migrants due to a famine?

I didn’t compare the plantation to migrants.

presbyterians have been persecuted by many groups including Irish republicans and Anglicans

Are you Jamie Bryson?

He trades in the same type of eejitry.

Your language is not as overblown and self-regrading as his but you do have moments.

I'm off out to meet up with my local provo cell.

You won't hear from me again. Forget we ever spoke.

Easier than admitting that it is too simplistic to put the presence of my community down to only a plantation 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Imagine if a Nationalist organisation had retweeted this bigotry, there would be war as you know how senistive unionists can be.

Logic definitely ain't your strong point Downcow, so simple question here. If Ulster had not been already dominated by Protestants by the time of the famines in Scotland, would those escaping have moved to a Native Irish/Catholic ruled part of Ireland as Ulster was before the plantations? We already know the answer to that, but I am sure you will try to move the goalposts yet again.

Also your claims that the settlements carried out by Montgomery/Hamilton were not plantations. I think you need to read the link you yourself posted. Private Plantations had already been attempted in Down and Antrim in the late 16th century backed by the Crown, but they failed. Combined with the failure of other plantations in other parts of Ireland, the Crown was reluctant to try any more, but they granted the right for privateers to attempt to do so. So successful was the Montgomery/Hamilton effort, they reconsidered and decided to go ahead with the Plantation of Ulster. It is all there in your link you so kindly provided.

Call it a settlement, plantation or anything you want, but anywhere where the locals are moved off their territory, by war, famine, confiscation of land or whatever and replaced by outsiders, it is effectively a plantation. Think of the illegal Israeli 'settlements' in the West Bank, I am sure they would claim they are migrants as well.

Finally I will ask again as you dodged it last time. Why do Presbyterians celebrate an event that led to their persecution for almost 100 years? You might like to think the Irish/IRA whoever persecuted you, but the only group that ever had it written down into law as part of their official policy was the Anglican Church.

You are completely contradicting yourself. On one hand you are saying that people moved backwards and forwards between Scotland and Ireland for centuries prior to the plantation and then you argue that had their been no plantation then Scots would not have moved across if they were starving. Not much logic there.

give me the bit of the official Anglican policy you are referring to and certainly I’ll comment. Some crazy historical stuff in church policy indeed - I guess these are the same anglicans that built Dublin and in many cases remain in power - I had forgotten about them. Do you mean the likes of oul Sam Maguire to name one of many lol

• Advertisement

See.

At it again.

2 pages now, denying the historical record with your truly unique perspective on the plantations of Ulster and arguing with me about it when I never mentioned them once.

It's bizarre really.

I never mentioned plantations.

Nothing to do with me.

Over and out. (Really).

PS. Are you Jamie Bryson?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

There is no inherent contradiction in saying that there was movement back and forth between Ireland and Scotland for centuries before and that without the plantation, Scots would not have moved across due to famine; while accusing others of black and white/simplistic viewing of the situation, you're doing the very same and ignoring a huge factor; scale.

It would at least be a logically sound argument that the pre-plantation level of migration wasn't significant enough alone to create the sort of critical mass necessary to generate the pull factor to attract the further significant numbers during the Scottish famine.

Now I haven't studied enough about the migration of Scots to Ireland during the 1690s to comment on whether the statement is ACCURATE, I'm just pointing out that it isn't inherently contradictory.

I have checked back and you are correct. You find the mention the plantation. Many did and I don’t know who originally threw up the plantation anyhow. So apologies. Were you were challenging my suggestion that the majority of unionists supported the gfa? Were you saying that all parties size of uup were an irrelevancy ie all but the dup and sf?

i must keep a notebook of who says what so as I don’t offend anyone by addressing something to them that they didn’t say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

so as I don’t offend anyone by addressing something to them that they didn’t say

That's just basic manners in any discussion, no?

I don't think, 'don't argue with people about points they didn't make' is a particularly high bar to set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Someone from Cork or maybe the antipodes? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I find it both bizarre and futile that the conversation is getting dragged towards the legitimacy of people ancestral claims dating back 400 years - Really, it's of no relevance now. I do notice that every time someone makes a specific, detailed post that challenges DC on the actual fallacies in the Anti-protocol stance (mainly Peregrinus) he seems to ignore it and instead very quickly trigger a petty argument about nationalists vs unionists/prejudice/etc.

And of course there are plenty of posters on here who oblige and allow him to avoid the hard questions by misspelling an Irish name or calling people "Southerners". I would say these posters are being masterfully played.

The simple fact is that plantation, migration, persecution aside Unionists today are as valid residents on this island as non-unionists. Their point of view is as legitimate, whether it's reasonable or not. Unionists who are less extreme than Downcow and the ones who are more extreme will all need to be invested in deciding what being Irish will mean in the future - because they absolutely are Irish. Any Nationalist or republican or "Southern" ideology that does not account for this is a failing one and will not lead to peace on this island.

So i would suggest that re-litigating the historical context for the Unionists stance is of extremely limited use when looking at the complexities of the current Northern Ireland Protocol, and really just lets Downcow off the hook from answering the hard questions when they are address to him.

Post edited by CrookedJack on

You are correct in the sense of Downcow mis-directing and I called it at the time and got a warning for it. I couldn't let pass their claim that the plantations of 17th century were no different than modern day migration. Of course Downcow will move the goalposts 10 million times in response and yes it looks like a tactic. It had nothing to do with trying to invalidate their place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

On the constant segues the thread takes into interpreting history and symbols of Irish/British identity (flags, emblems, language, what team you support etc etc) maybe it can't be helped or avoided. In fairness, Downcow (like most of us) is probably a politically engaged person to some extent. I get distinct impression (as an outsider) that this is just what the politics in NI mostly consists of. Everything boils back down to what tribe you are in, what your ancestors were doing in the 17th C. and insoluble rows about identity in the end. Brexit/opinion of the NI protocol etc. is now just another minor totem for those identifying strongly with one tribe or another, wrapped up into the rest of the whole mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Unionists who are less extreme than Downcow and the ones who are more extreme will all need to be invested in deciding what being Irish will mean in the future - because they absolutely are Irish.

A sizeable cohort of Unionists do not identify as Irish at all, in fact they wear their 'non-Irishness' with pride and like to pretend that the rest of Ireland is as foreign as Belarus. We all know that those who describe themselves as 'British Only', having not lived in Britain for centuries, are poorly disguising their hatred of the reality of living in Ireland amongst the Irish, but there you go.

• Advertisement

I wasn’t the one raised the plantation. That would be like a militant republican raising sectarian violence.

I agree that we should all pull our horns in and get back to the protocol

Advertisement