Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU Proposal on calf transportation. NO MOVE UNDER 35DAYS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Massive infrastructure cost, volatile, high cost, low margin business. Won't do depending on existing slaughter and marketing routes in Ireland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Beef processing here was originally started to counter the monopoly of the live export to England on prices, its swung the other way now where live export is the only way to provide competition to the processors. Having spoken to vets before apparently the the bigger stressor on calves is the loading and and unloading, during transport they tend to be very settled.

Agree with alps working on the 42 day tb movement restrictions allows more flexibility, 21 to 28 days wouldn't be a massive issue either. Most calves leave here between the 4 to 6 weeks anyway, rarely anything goes before the 4 unless the regular farmer buyer takes some to complete a group and he only lives 15 minutes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The recent DAFM/Covid TB exclusion test for calves up to 120 days old seems to be the way forward.

Post edited by Base price on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Now to think of it, retaining it would be in line with making it easier to move reared calves. Seems that policy is going towards this direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

It might be prudent for some kind of initiative to build a few large veal rearing centres dotted around the dairy areas. The writing is on the wall re live calf exports and the industry needs some bit of positive news…dairy is fast losing social credibility without having to go killing fresh born calves.

Thing is, calves in transport as as happy as if they were at home in a deep straw bed, but there’s a tribe of tree huggers out there that are determined to shut it down…and it’d add fuel to fire is you explained to them that by stopping live exports that they’re condemning thousands of calves to an early death…!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are some who say that the calf is a waste product of dairying.

That's a bit harsh but there is truth in it.

There was a veal unit looked at in Ireland years back, deemed not viable or near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If you have quality calves you'll have no problem getting rid of them. Was very little export markets for fr bull calves this autumn I sold the majority of mine to farmers. Edited to say calf sales keep us going here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I cannot understand how it could be more efficient to produce the Veal on the continent as apposed to here. We should be able to go all the way to the packet that goes onto the shelves of the supermarket for less than what they can do. I've seen calf shippers outbid locals for calves, and they are not giving the calves away for free to the Dutch or Germans, so what is it that makes us noncompetitive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

From memory I think the markets requires a steady supply of veal, Ireland wouldn't have a steady enough supply of calves to have an industry here having all the calves born in ten weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The lack of innovation within Teagasc and Bord Bia would probably explain alot of that!!

Wrangler above gives a massive reason why Veal is a non runner.

There is an article about it somewhere, it just seemed to have everything going against it here from memory

This ties in with the poster @Gawddawggonnit, saying that price for calves in France collapses from late Jan to may due to the Irish calves having to be flushed thru the system en route to Holland and Spain. Our calving profile is very condensed to use grass.

The veal industry is based on supply. We would have a very seasonally supply if we tried it in Ireland and thus flood the market

• Advertisement

Or farmers could get their finger out and do it for themselves, which is what'd happen in the real world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TBH most of this was predicted over the last few years. I cannot understand the total shock. It just more head in the sand attitude that it could never happen.

This will also put the cost of a calf back onto the original producer. A 5+ week old calf will be more attractive to part time drystock farmers...even if it's a JEX bull.

The added sting will be a limit on calf slaughter numbers as co-op and milk processor's may not take milk from farm that send calf's to slaughter.

If they pushed it to 8 weeks you could put them straight to grass. Must contact a few Green MEP's

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

To be honest there is nt a whole lot wrong with the idea of keeping calves to 35 days,would t make any profit out of but it would help the calf rearer if calves were older when they go through the sales process.Reading today that there is a high drop out rate out of calf to beef systems and while I have no doubt tight margins are a factor I think the difficulties in rearing calves is a huge part in it

Calf price and cost of rearing is a huge cost for the calf to beef. Look at the price in the autumn or following spring for average dairy bred weanlings. SFP was subsidising the rearing of many on beef farms.

• Advertisement

Get rid of Teagasc et al so and put the money to better use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭ginger22

at the prices spring born bucket fed calves are making when sold as weanlings in the autumn there is nothing in it farmer who fed them all summer.

Individual entrepreneurship has only ever been the driver of new business development. Teagasc are the researchers and educators. Do other similar institutions set up businesses to service its alumni..they do in their ####...

Your wildly off with this populist rant..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’m told years ago the Department of Agriculture in this area did what Teagasc are doing, then it was split into Teagasc & Dept of Ag

There is allot of feeling with margins getting tighter and more red tape if both entities are needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

live shipping has a finite life left, public sentiment will cause politicians to act no matter what is said, politicians want to get re-elected.

Agriculture needs to plan now for this eventuality.

Subsidies have made farmers lazy in regards to new enterprises, you can run your farm at a break even level now and get a job and your subsidies will be a nice top up on your salary.

Teagasc have international information available to them even if they haven't done research themselves and like suckling, calf rearing, sheep, etc they will set up research if it's being done in this country.

One thing Bord Bia does is ensures there's an inspector on a food producing farm that sells to processors at least every 12- 18 mths and our customers value this

Public sentiment won't be enough to make lads go calf to beef.

You could say that about all public services, two chances of that happening, none and poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

The loss of shipping weanlings though will pull the price of quality suckler bred weanlings back enough to make the economics of carrying the cow completely unviable. Then a lad might rear calves rather than calve sucklers.

• Advertisement

Not directly, but indirectly it will change things considerably if or rather when it forces an end to live shipping

Dairy beef could end up being a contract rearing job with weaned calves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Whatever about calf exports, if live shipping goes then we are goosed and that's dairy and beef lads as the beef processing without shipping is at best "anticompetitive"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If you look at the age profile of the average suckler farmer how many will move to calf rearing. More likely they'll cut numbers and carry on or move to keeping a few heifers or bullocks.

I can't see many who kept quality sucklers all their life moving to rearing dairy calves in their 50's and 60's. It's really what's been happening for the last 20 years anyway since the fischler reforms.

At a minimum calves will need to be weaned for many of them to consider it but many like the look of nice cattle and the dairy bred stock won't cut it.

Rearing calves is a pretty skillful and time consuming job. How many suckler farmers could do it? Market is going to be for weaned, fence trained stock..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Rearing dairy bull calves will be a numbers game - it always was. The more you rear the better discounts you can get on inputs. CMR is far too expensive in Ireland even with discounted prices when buying tons. Dawg quoted prices (France) a couple of years ago (from memory) €1,400 or €1,500/ton for a high quality skim based CMR whereas the equivalent here discounted was €2,000. Unless farmers are prepared to rear dairy calves to finish then they are loosing money.

Post edited by Base price on

Will the big dairy man be too prickly about it if the alternative is a few hundred calves to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

If you can rear suckler bred stock and keep them alive alps,trust me, you can rear dairy bred. I have done both.

Don’t know, the cow protects the suckled calf’s immune system, the bucket fed calf is more susceptible to worms

The bucket fed calf has to be vaccinated against lots, on lots of farms the suckler calf only gets a dose for worms and black leg if lucky

Every farm is different too

There is a good few Suckler farmers already rearing calves. It about getting the basics right. However no movement before five weeks if it comes in means no movement. That means most dairy farmers will have to carry calves to to five weeks, at that stage if some buyers requirement is an 8+ week old calf then dairy farmer will have to live with that.

If weanling cannot be exported either then the higher quality E/U+ weanling will have to manage with Irish prices. I cannot see it being economic to produce these calves. There would be as much return out of producing R+/U- calves and less risk calving.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I used to double suck a share of cows once upon a time, but the price of the dairy calf has gone insane, and the quality of the dairy calf has gone to sh1te. Just not worth the hassle.

As for bucket rearing them, as was stated the price of the milk replacer makes it uneconomical. Maybe if you had a small milking parlor you could have a few milkers to rear the calves but again unless you are doing it with numbers it's not worth it.

I remember as a teenager being able to buy 6 week old big square Hereford X calves, mighty bone on them too. Nowadays the dairymen are selling 10 day old narrow screws of Hereford X. Pure rubbish stuff that any farmer with half a brain wouldn't take for free never-mind give the 250 euro asking price.

It's a bit rich of the Irish dairy sector to think that the answer to the problem of getting rid of the calves in the future will be the Suckler farmers, jasus things are bad enough without bringing rubbish cattle around the place. It costs as much if not more to feed a bad yolk as a good one

I see no evidence that they are more susceptible to worms.

we worm them when they are settled, then after that only few weeks after housing in the winter. In recent years we stopped worming when animals are at grass to let the dung beetles recover and do their job, less worm burdens as a result

same for vaccinations, we never vaccinate.

I think it’s 5-6 years since we had a suck calf lost and that cnut got his head stuck under a gate 🙄

Suckling and rearing sucks I feel are very different, for the 8-10 weeks after sucks land they take tight watching and a vigorous attention to detail when feeding. Swift action is always needed, wait and see is risky, I’d be pedantic about giving a sick calf fluids as they dehydrate so quickly and that to me is a big cause of losses.

• Advertisement

When you go to marts or carry cattle to slaughter and you see bucket fed stores as heavy as Suckler bred ones. Then at the factory you see bucket fed LM, CH and BB killing out at the same weights as suckker bred cattle you have to question the economics of a suckler cow.

Slava Ukrainii

WTF is the point in the likes of Bord Bia and the IDA then?? Outside of relentlessly pushing the Kiwi Dairy Model what have Teagasc done to promote innovation or meeting the needs of a lower input farming model that needs to happen??. Most of the innovators in the area of new markets and agri products around the country certainly weren't helped or inspired by them, as detailed by the likes of the Farming Indo week in week out>Maybe its you that needs to wake up to the real world pal or are you suggesting Irish Farmers are too tic to wipe their own ar$e??

They promote our produce around the world, tax payer pays for it, some Irish farmers have done their best to undermine our promotions, how thick is that

Some achievement alright to have the lowest beef and milk prices in the EU - their remit also includes market/product development in which their record has been less than stellar as I pointed out above.

Bord bia in fairness to them are world class at promoting food and I have heard that from food industry leaders on the continent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement