Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you chose to refuse to serve sombrero wearers that would be perfectly fine and not in any way discrimination.

However if you chose not to serve people who you thought were Mexican then it would be discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You are incorrect. There are nine grounds laid out in law for which you cannot discriminate on in the provision of goods and services. Discrimination on grounds outside these nine is not illegal

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 37 oneshot2shots

Thanks 🙏. So shop owners can refuse sale, on pretty much any grounds they wish, as long as it's not based on people being part of the 9 groups. Was not aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Interactive graphic to show the effect of various NPI's like masking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

great study^

why in gods name are we all not in ffp2s like japan and korea? we really like making it hard on ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

Are kids required to wear masks in shops now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

For some folks it's easier to post and complain about dirty old rug over the face, making statements people even don't wash it, masks don't work etc. Instead of using at least Google to find some info, when government fails on messaging.

Post edited by xhomelezz on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Do we really need more evidence that they work? We know they work, those that don't think they work have ulterior motives imo, and there's no point arguing with them at this stage. I've had a chest infection all week, got I suspected from a course I was attending once a week (shared CPE). Negative PCR test, but still feel crap and on antibiotic and steroids. But this feeling is not something I missed. Nearly 2 years sick free, and this week reminded me that I will never take part in anything with crowds again, because this thread, and many others along with social media posts, shows that the general public don't care about anyone but themselves.

Like other posters above, I will be continuing to wear a mask after this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Because then, it'd make it hard for people to wear them under their noses

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Masks don’t work, they never have and never will

Fauci and holohan famous words

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And this is the problem with society today. Facts? Not needed. Emotional reactions rule the roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

So if you need to have open surgery, you'd be happy to have the surgeon and the other medics in the operating theatre unmasked. I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Surinamo

Surgical masks are great at preventing the spread of bacteria. It would be interesting to compare the size of bacteria with a virus which is far smaller. Then to gauge the size of the pores in masks / coverings. If a bacteria or virus is bigger than the pore size then it makes sense that the mask works well. The thing is, viruses are way way way smaller than bacteria & if smaller than mask pore size, then it’s easy to draw conclusions based on relative size. Droplets are another matter but viruses can spread via breath/aerosol particles. So the mask qn is puzzling. It serves as a good visual reminder that we’re in a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Are you saying that viruses fly out of people mouths and noses singly, and not hitching a ride on vapour droplets?

Try breathing on a cold window, without a mask, and then with a mask. Notice any difference?

Well my friend, you are right, it appears that viruses take a taxi on droplets 😅 Aerosol particles are much smaller.

Duguid (1945), for the first time, has explored the characteristics of droplets and aerosol from human expiratory activities with chest infections, and such information is presented in Table 1 . Duguid (1945) has observed that 95% of particles were often smaller than 100 μm, and the majority were between 4 and 8 μm. The findings corroborated that breathing and exhalation originated from the nose have shed up to a few hundreds of droplets of which some were aerosols. In contrast, talking, coughing, and sneezing have produced more aerosols than droplets (Table 1).”

These can potentially penetrate even a mask due to their teeny tinyness. Here’s an interesting article you might find interesting.

( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293495/ )

Thanks, interesting article, even if a bit technical. However, see below for what it says in section 5:

5. Safeguards against transmission of droplets and aerosols

The transmission of droplets and aerosols has significant implications on healthcare workers and caretakers managing patients infected with COVID-19, and providing appropriate PPE is, therefore, of utmost importance. The facemasks play a major role in preventing both droplets and aerosols from transmitting the disease from an infected person to a host. Facemasks are popular in controlling and preventing virus transmission, especially in connection with severe respiratory syndromes such as SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, and SARS-CoV-2 .....

This would suggest that they think facemasks are not just a visual reminder of the pandemic, but a practical aid in reducing the risk of transmission.

To me this makes perfect sense. As I mentioned in my last post, if you breathe on a cold window it will steam up. However if you put on a mask and then breathe on a window it doesn't steam up. Surely this must mean that the mask is stopping some, or most, of the vapour droplets from reaching the window, and thus would reduce droplets / aerosols reaching another person in front of you?

• Advertisement

Went and did a little shopping for the grandchildren for Christmas without a mask. Looks like she won't be seeing them for Christmas and them her.

The judge likened the Covid-19 regulations on face masks to wearing a seat belt to protect herself in case she crashes into something, or someone hits her, and also because it was the law. Ms Buttimer agreed that wearing a seat belt did not take away her freedom.

The judge told her if she remained “defiant” she was putting him “in an impossible situation” where he has no other option but to refuse bail.

“I cannot have you putting other people in danger and blatantly breaching court orders. It would be sending a message that court orders mean nothing,” he said. “I am very sad to do this but I have no option.”

The judge asked Ms Buttimer to reflect on his remarks until she appears before him again. He said that she is entitled to her views, but not to the detriment of public health.

“You need to think about that for your own sake,” he said.

👍🙂 That’s a super interpretation of that article & kudos for reading it through - I wholeheartedly agree with your points.

Here are some further points I’d infer from that part you quoted-

Id agree that masks do reasonably well to prevent droplets especially in symptomatic people who would cough & sneeze. Also in a clinical setting v imp to wear mask. The standard of mask in clinical setting is higher (like N95) which gets discarded after short-term use. Full PPE also helps. My assumption (and I may be wrong) is that whilst viral load (exhaled) may be reduced that particles can still ‘escape’ & that the aerosol particles could still penetrate the mask (via inhalation / exhalation). -Esp if particles are 4-8 microns in size.

So in public- masks come in all types with various porous diameter. They are worn in all sorts of ways - stuffed into pockets, left on the dashboard etc and put back on which can lead to other infections. I do believe they prevent spread of coronavirus -esp in symptomatic people with coughs etc … and the early guidelines were to wear one if you have symptoms- makes sense. Yet the aerosol particle size is so small that it could pass through the pores of a mask (perhaps like a fly through chicken wire-but we’d need to get the pore diameter to make accurate analogy) …and say if it doesn’t - then rest could fall on the mask - get transferred to fingers ..,and you pick it up anyway. At best they reduce spread somewhat but not stop. Washing hands & some distance are a great idea.

If masks are worn all day- what are the implications? And if these implications outweigh the potential benefits of preventing infectious spread , well that’s important to consider. It’s too narrow to make a mandate simply on masks provide benefit against X

Id like to look through studies on which the mask mandate is based. Remember that studies have also been made which conclude that in public they are of little benefit. Even experts speaking to COVID task force in government stated this.

So let’s guess at the negative effects:

-increased intake of CO2 / decrease of O2 uptake - how does that effect body / cognitive functioning / pH levels / immune system functioning / does that contribute to cardiac or lung conditions or exacerbate them?

-risk of bacterial infection / transmission from poor mask hygiene / not changing mask

-psychological -public exposed to decreased facial body language. -Implications- less smiling. Smiling (given/received) boost serotonin levels & immune system, booost children’s social, emotional & cognitive development. Smiles give a sense of safety & security in the environment. Does lack of smiling (plus increased CO2 intake) decrease mood socially. If mood is decreased, is the public more sensitive to negativity and fear & cause a downward spiral? Could depression/anxiety increase? If in a more fearful state is their capacity for clear rational thinking diminished in anyway? - if reduced , is rationality bypassed -leading to emotive responses based on fear headlines and following herd mentality Vs independent thought. Do stress levels increase? If so what are the effects over a prolonged period…months/years from now.

-what are the environmental impacts on land / sea ecosystems due to masks (plenty on the ground)

-mask material- does material cause health issues (certain masks have been banned)

There are plenty more questions we could ask.

It is too easy to promote a conclusion on area of focus and say “masks work” without due consideration to ALL the knock-on effects of long term usage in society which most likely will/are causing further issues.

At best- they reduce spread esp amongst symptomatic / promote compliance via visual cue / perpetuate a sense of ‘event’ and going along with it. But if negatives outweigh this ….then they should not be mandatory but voluntary (with some exceptions).

My guess is long term - the negatives will in time outweigh positives for long term usage esp amongst children in developmental stages. I’m open to debate though 😅 that’s how true science works and I love science. The ‘current science’ lacks open debate sadly … but I still remain in a positive state thanks to my meditation 😀

Peace & happiness 😅🙏🌤

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How big are the molecules in air? How big are the gaps in canvas?

Now explain how sailing ships work if the sails on the boat are not totally solid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Not sure I agree with all of your points there...it's been shown many times that masks do not reduce O2 intake, not sure where you got your information from. It has also been shown that even if the weave in a mask is not tight enough to catch all aerosol particles they will still catch some (the virus particles do not form an orderly queue to exit out the gaps in the mask, many are trapped in the weave of the mask regardless of the size of the holes).

I don't think anyone with half a brain is saying masks eliminate the chance of spreading the virus, but they certainly reduce the risk of spreading it.

Don't have a lot of time, so here are a few responses

"My assumption (and I may be wrong) is that whilst viral load (exhaled) may be reduced that particles can still ‘escape’ & that the aerosol particles could still penetrate the mask (via inhalation / exhalation). -Esp if particles are 4-8 microns in size."

Sure, there will be some stuff getting through the mask, but it must be very much reduced. Did you try breathing on a cold window, with, and without, a mask? And, yes, likely if you have covid then your mask will have virus on it, however that doesn't stop the mask from reducing the droplets and aerosols reaching another person in front of you!

"If masks are worn all day- what are the implications? And if these implications outweigh the potential benefits of preventing infectious spread"

I would expect most people don't wear masks all day. However, yes, it would make sense to assess and balance any negative effects to the wearers of masks, versus benefits to the whole the community. I've not seen anything that suggests that mask wearing is harmful, have you? You suggest guessing the negative effects, I don't have time to look it all up, have you looked up about CO2, PH levels, etc? Surely hospitals wouldn't have surgical teams wearing masks for long hours if there were issues?

As I said, it's a balance, and yes, discarded masks are not desirable, however if they contribute to preventing the hospitals from being overrun then it would seem a price worth paying.

"Id like to look through studies on which the mask mandate is based."

If you google "studies of effectiveness of masks covid" there are plenty, and all seem to say that masks reduce transmission risk. See this for example - https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/09/surgical-masks-covid-19.html. You mention some studies found no benefit, have you a link?

"At best- they reduce spread esp amongst symptomatic / promote compliance via visual cue / perpetuate a sense of ‘event’ and going along with it. But if negatives outweigh this ….then they should not be mandatory but voluntary (with some exceptions)."

I see the only purpose of masks to be in reducing transmission, though of course they don't eliminate it. I can't see 'promoting compliance' or 'perpetuating a sense of event' have anything at all to do with the recommendation to wear masks. When you say 'promoting compliance' what do you see masks promoting compliance with, apart from wearing masks?

Carbon dioxide increases with face masks but remains below short-term NIOSH limits

Emphasis here is on short term use …. What about long term?

Also there are considerations re. people predisposed to breathing difficulties- ie smokers , overweight, lung issues such as emphysema and COPD - these should also be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes if they get covid they are in big trouble.

Masks help prevent that.

Why would someone with such condition be wearing a respirator mask for long duration repeatedly?

Also Im rather dubious about a study from a company which seems to be trying to sell a different kind of respirator...

Here is a surgical type masks study... no co2 concerns:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/10/29/fact-check-face-masks-dont-create-dangerous-co-2-children/6182627001/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

But you also said they decrease the O2 intake, I never mentioned CO2, you just chose to respond with an answer to a question that was not asked!

The article you linked shows no change in oxygen saturation with any of the masks. So where is the decrease in O2 uptake comeing from? What is the point of speculating on possible outcomes to a problem that does not exist?

I’ll have a look at the studies relating to O2 intake 👍

Bear in mind in the post you refer to I did question areas of study which would evaluate possible effects of long term use - here they are again :

increased intake of CO2 / decrease of O2 uptake - how does that effect body / cognitive functioning / pH levels / immune system functioning / does that contribute to cardiac or lung conditions or exacerbate them? 

-risk of bacterial infection / transmission from poor mask hygiene / not changing mask

-psychological -public exposed to decreased facial body language. -Implications- less smiling. Smiling (given/received) boost serotonin levels & immune system, booost children’s social, emotional & cognitive development. Smiles give a sense of safety & security in the environment. Does lack of smiling (plus increased CO2 intake) decrease mood socially.

If mood is decreased, is the public more sensitive to negativity and fear & cause a downward spiral? Could depression/anxiety increase? If in a more fearful state is their capacity for clear rational thinking diminished in anyway? - if reduced , is rationality bypassed -leading to emotive responses based on fear headlines and following herd mentality Vs independent thought. Do stress levels increase? If so what are the effects over a prolonged period…months/years from now. 

-what are the environmental impacts on land / sea ecosystems due to masks (plenty on the ground) 

-mask material- does material cause health issues (certain masks have been banned)

Sure, I’m absolutely quite happy to concede if O2 uptake is not an issue if that is the case.

I wonder if there are any long-term studies on mask use by the young children? Once again, although a mask may provide a reduction in viral spread, one would imagine this should be weighed against potential longer term effects - especially in children. Has this been done I wonder?

• Advertisement

Not so much time this evening but will consider your points my friend, thank you 🙏🙂

Advertisement