Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santy get a boyfriend...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So, depending on the circumstances, it's ok to not like 2 men kissing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, if you don’t like PDAs (public displays of “affection”), in general, that’s fine.

But if you have an “issue” with Santa sharing a kiss with his boyfriend but don’t bat an eyelid at him kissing Mrs. Claus that would fall directly under the homophobia category.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's like, if people doing that in front if you makes you awkward or uncomfortable, it's just an issue with intimacy or pda or whatever. But if you don't like watching two men kiss, because they are two men, then yeah it's a bit homophobic.

Personally, I don't like people touching me, at all, any people. But if I didn't mind Irish people touching me, but didn't want any foreigners touching me that would be a bit racist, don't ya think?

I haven't seen anyone squirm. In order to squirm they would need to have something to be embarrassed about.

BTW i think posts 3 and 7 show the majority opinion on this thread. They are far and away the most liked posts in the entire thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So what ye are saying that circumstances, ie: what is happening, are important in deciding if a view/opinion is homophobic? And simply not liking 2 men kissing is homophobic?

I don't like so see 2 men kissing, but I'm not homophobic. Work away lads, none of my business. But doesn't mean I like seeing 2 men kissing. I don't say anything, I just avert my gaze and continue on. It's not something I'm interested in, it doesn't nothing for me personally. Mainly because I'm straight. But that makes me homophobic, just because it's not something I like seeing? Seems a bit of a stretch if I'm being honest. Can one not have a dislike for seeing something without being cast as homophobic?

I like seeing 2 women do it though, so does that mean I'm not homophobic? I googled, there doesn't appear to be a phobic term for not liking male only gays... But it's not that I don't like men only gays, again, I don't care, see above paragraph. People of any sexual orientation could openly ride each other in the street, I'll look at some of it, I won't others, which is all based on my own personal sexual preferences.

Sorry, I'm just really trying to figure this out.... Used to be that you had to hate/treat gay people differently in order to be homophobic. Now thoughts without actions count too? Feck... Pretty sure I'm probably a little bit of every phobic if we're counting thoughts, cuz even I don't control them a lot of the time.

Also, touching and seeing are 2 very different things, can't be equated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Haha. You haven't a clue what you're going to about anymore. Pathetic behaviour. You want to see homophones everywhere so you'll talk and make up shite.

Get a life. Its not healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i can hand on heart say they'll get as much business from me as they ever did, this won't affect my custom with them at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Advertisement

Me too , would not treat a gay person one bit different but do not want to stay watching when men kiss, I look away beit in TV screen or anywhere else, can still root for the character otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The ones who never objected with any heterosexual spectacles

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Very probably, not liking the spectacle of men kissing does not mean someone has any ill will towards a gay man or couple

It's not black and white like many here like to claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

tbh, to say you can't bear* to watch two men kissing it probably does speak to some level of internalised homophobia.

Doesn't mean you are attacking gays or acting on it or you don't have an issue in the main, but there is something there.

It's not black and white.

*Pun not intended lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Ridiculous statement - if you don't want to watch 2 men kissing then you are probably homophobic?? Doesn't work that way - if I'm attracted to females the last thing I want to see is 2 of my own sex kissing. Do you understand sexual attraction/repulsion at all?

Of course it doesn't mean they have any ill will towards them, no one suggested it does. But being repulsed by the sight of two men kissing is homophobic.

I never said I was repulsed , that's you're characterisation

Lol stellar response..

Do you get attracted to every person you see kissing? Do you (or whoever made the point) avert your eyes when a heterosexual couple that you don't find attractive kiss?

If you blanket say that you can't stand to watch two men kiss then yeah I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that there may be a touch of internalised homophobia at play. Nothing major, doesn't mean you hate gays etc probably a result of your upbringing.

The fact you feel the need to defend this in a fairly attacking tone is a little telling.

No I don't, I don't particularly care for anyone who is eating the face off someone else in public, it's pretty cringe regardless of who is doing it.

And I still refute your label of homophobic because I don't want to watch 2 guys kissing. I'm a heterosexual male who is attracted to females - why the **** would I stop and watch 2 fellas kissing? I should just stare and watch it lest someone like you label me a homophobe? Think it's well past time for people to very carefully pick the labels they want to use because if everything is "phobic" then nothing is "phobic" - you know you can overuse a term until it basically has no meaning left?

• Advertisement

Lol, I didn't call you a homophobe (although you protest this quite a lot). I very carefully said to the person that said they have to avert their eyes from TV when two guys kiss that that may indeed indicate some internalised homophobia (and went on to suggest that that may be due to being a product of their environment.. ironically probably no gay stuff on TV before 2000 lol).

After reading your post again tho, I'm thinking another label that applies is heterosexual voyeur.. "why the **** would you stop" to watch anyone kissing lol??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I'm wondering why anyones personal preference about seeing the same sex kiss in an ad or TV show is a factor in the discussion at all?

Ultra religious folks probably don't want to see anyone kissing, tough luck to them. Kissing is on the telly.

Some straight people probably don't want to see two men kissing, tough luck to them.

Some gay people probably don't want to see two straight people of opposite genders kissing, tough luck to them.

Really - who cares what your personal preference is? It's not there for you, if you don't like it, just swallow your dislike and put up with it like an adult. There's things in all of our lives that we don't like, but we just get on with it anyway.

If we spent our lives structuring TV shows or ads purely around what may offend a group, then we will have nothing except ultra boring, "clean" TV that is of no consequence, and has nothing to do with reality.

That's exactly the point I am making - you said to that person that them not wanting to watch 2 guys kissing on the tv is "internalised homophobia". My point is it is a biological sexual preference - it has nothing at all to do with being "homophobic" and to even imply it does is just ridiculous nonsense.

Not really, like I'm straight. I have no issue with seeing two men kissing in place of an opposite sex couple. I don't feel some repulsion or feel a need to block my eyes. "Biological sexual preference" simply doesn't play any role in terms of enjoying a movie etc.

to even deny it might be a factor is ridiculous nonsense..

Its nothing to do with "biological sexual preferences" really (well unless you mean the biology part - i.e. in the sense that what makes a person not able to watch a tv show with two guys and what drives your voyeurism).

Why would it upset someone to the point they have to look away. I look away at things that disgust me - is that what you mean (I am trying to understand your point instead of shooting it down, I find it a little curious)?

I often see things on TV etc that doesn't align with my sexual preferences - but they mean nothing to me as its usually just a TV show or something that is nothing to do with the context of my own preferences.

I think if there is such a strong reaction, its worth exploring.

They say every thread on a forum, once it goes long enough, will descend into random madness.

This is now nothing more than people accusing others of being a homophobe and others defending themselves.

Classy.

• Advertisement

well - I was trying to make a serious point - not accuse anyone of anything. I don't care if people are homophobes or if they are they are in denial of such.

Mud slinging and commentary from the side is equally as "classy"..

So you make a serious point as you call it. Then another person makes a "serious point", then another does. In fact what is a serious point?

No matter what you call your opinion - it's now just a bunch of people accusing others and others defending. Sure the line "I didn't call you a homophobe (although you protest this quite a lot)" was spoken above. By you ironically enough lol. .

it could just as easily be argued that being cool with watching men kiss probably speaks to some level of internalised homosexuality ?

yeah, maybe? I guess? but for the majority of people, to me, it seems that they just don't bother either way - you don't need to like or dislike it and its little to do with attraction or sexuality (not in this context of a santa advert).

• Advertisement

I'm not seriously accusing anyone of being a homophobe (It's After Hours forum lol), just that they may have a bit of internalised homophobia. To me acting on is would make one a homophobe. The serious point was down to you deliberately choosing to skip over that and comment on the "classiness" - I just wanted to point out that it didn't apply to me.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118278433#Comment_118278433

You're pulling me into an argument that I don't really care about. I haven't really been on this thread, I just simply pointed out that for those that feel the need to "avert their gaze" (Or avert the gays??!), may be doing so because of a bit of deep down homophobia.

I'm not calling everyone a homophobe, I'm not making a judgement call on right vs wrong here.

Well I'm a woman. I have no issue seeing two men kiss. Neither do I have an issue seeing two women kiss. Not do I have an issue seeing a man and woman kiss.

The are all perfectly natural actions for humans. Having an adverse reaction to seeing any of those things is not normal.

It’s getting very serious now, next thing we know Jack Frost will want to be known as Jill frost.

I would say it's a bit weird for any grown adult to be averting their eyes when two men kiss on screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Denny61

It's disgusting..all LGBTW and what ever you having yourself should be there only as reference..to have santa kiss a man is the last straw. Its poisoning humanity. And I see where a lot of these are getting in to positions in places where they can force their agenda on to the straight people.. count them selves lucky they not living in Russia or places of no tolerance to gays and other unbalanced parts of society..they be strung up ..

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Another person who blocks his eyes during kiss scenes. It's not easy being a straight man watching TV. Thoughts and prayers with them.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

It reminds me of little kids covering their eyes and shouting disgust whenever they see an on screen kiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Some of the more recent comments in here are illuminating. The same auld guff about what people get up to in the bedrooms being nobody else’s business (this thread is about two fictional characters having a romantic relationship by the way), and that homosexuals should be “strung up.” 😕

But yeah no homophobia here, right? 🙄

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I have been told over and over again in this thread that it is “uncivil” to call homophobic people homophobes and I have been accused of doing it for “a laugh.”

For anyone who’s accused me of that, let me ask you this: where has your civility in the face of homophobia gotten you? It’s 2021 and look at the poison people have posted in this thread. You don’t see me laughing anyway.

Wow I was treating this as a bit of a nonsense AH thread but it's really bringing out the best in people!

Unless you are all taking the piss? Must be that surely, no one outside of a 1970s sitcom still talks like this 🤣🤣

There's a lot of perversion and immorality around these parts

Post edited by km991148 on

Open your eyes watching the TV, the true brave choice

• Advertisement

Already said I can root for a gay character on screen while also choosing not to watch gay love scenes.

If a gay person prefers to look away when a man and woman kiss or have sex , that's completely fine too , no one is obliged to find anything pleasing

Advertisement