Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Dazler97

What did I miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Argentina made more noises than Dev for decades about the Malvinas, yet it was only when they sent in their "humanitarian mission" that the UK responded.

The constraints on the British were that they couldn't send in a "humanitarian mission", but if one arrived the other way, they would have full freedom to respond right up to crushing the Dublin government and taking over. That was the way it was.

Exactly, yet we have some people on here claiming that if we had invaded Northern Ireland back in 1970, everyone would have stood back and waved us in. It is clearly delusional.

No, but there is our Taoiseach saying it would have been mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You seem to have difficulty with definitions...Argentina invaded blanch.

And Britain responded because Maggie needed the win for her own popularity problems and only after coming under severe pressure from the Americans and diplomatic moves in the back channels, to resolve the issue. Reagan strenuously advised her not to retaliate.

That place (the back channels) was where we could have achieved much in the interests of those we decided to abandon ultimately. Then we spent years whining because somebody did step into the vacuum we created.

Do your research, don't just be reading the gung ho Gotcha redtops of British daring do. Every situation has its own constraints and opportunities for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We are not Iran. We are not Germany. We are not the US or Vietnam nor Israel.

I agree we wouldn't be waved in but our government, at any point over the last 100 years could have made a more diplomatic effort. They didn't because it didn't suit them. Around the time the UK embassy was burned and the BA killing civilians, they could have made a case for British withdrawal.

FF/FG know they'll not have a groundswell of support from the Northern counties after a UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nonsense, pure and utter deluded war-mongering nonsense.

Can you put forward any credible person who would have bigged up an Irish Army invasion in 1970?

A few lads signed up? Do you mean the majority of our Dail signed up, the Dail we fought a war over?

Look, you either believe in democracy or not. Those saying we should not have signed the treaty.... then what? A United Ireland magically appears and the Ulster Volunteers just join? You guys are smoking too much of the good stuff. ROFL.

You are the one talking through your hat. Stormont voted to rejoin the Union. The Dail voted to accept the treaty which partitioned the country.

Are you saying that we should have forced, by the gun Ulster to join a United Ireland?

And who decides that? You?

How convenient. Are you a supporter of Basque and Catalonia Independence? SF are..... how ironic...

• Advertisement

Sending Military troops over international borders is an invasion.

You know that, I know that but as usual when you lose the argument you resort to your tried and trusted form of dancing on a pin when it comes to language.

So, anyone agrees with you on that? Any noted historian or policymaker or politican?

Would you go listen to some of the discussions. There were options. We abandoned Irish people to their fate, that is the bottom line here and we did it again when the north inevitably went up in flames.

We failed those we were constitutionally mandated to protect...simple as. And no amount of 'all caps' pro British derision is ever going to change that. Deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

A few over in London.

You are the one talking out your hat. I adhere to democratic rule. Partition wasn't democratic yet you accept it as such and in the same breath want 100% on board before a UI is justified in your eyes. Give over.

Sending an aggressive military force is and the 'planned invasion' was that. I never uttered a word of support for what Lynch was planning.

I have never been talking about anything like an invasion and it is typical that you need to portray it as that as you desperately need something to cling to.

In your opinion...

Your war-mongering talk reminds me of when the Nazi's were talking about uniting the Germans in the 1930's....

Uber nationalists and right-wing.

Tell us, how many of these experts advocated invading the North in 1922 or 1970?

Partition was inevitable and this fact must really grate on you.

Here we go on another world trip in order to deflect.

Partition was only inevitable because we accepted it.

Partition was only meant to be temporary....tell us Mark how many times we clled on Britain to honour the pledges on that? How many times did we call out when Unionism changed the voting system in order to begin gerrymandering their suprematist statlet?

How many times did we complain about how Nationalists/Catholics were being treated up until it all went up in flames?

I suppose you will do a blanch and tell us there was no CNN in those days. 😁😁

The Treaty was voted on in Westminister.

The British House of Commons approved the treaty on 16 December 1921 by a vote of 401 to 58.[20] On the same day the House of Lords voted in favour by 166 to 47

The Dail voted on the Treaty

The Dáil approved the new treaty after nine days of public debate on 7 January 1922, by a vote of 64 to 57

The Irish Free State was founded on the 6th of December

For a brief 24 hour period, Ireland was indeed United.

Stormont decided to opt-out of the new Irish Free State on the 7th of December and NI rejoined the Union.....

Sending troops with guns and live ammo and dressing it up like a picnic is still an invasion.

You talk of realpoltik, you honestly think a British PM would have let it stand?

Laughable but you are utterly brainwashed.

So no links to historians, policymakers or politicians backing up your warmongering....

Thought so.

I have yet to see any credible argument that lays out exactly how we could have avoided partition.

No amount of your British/Unionist centric derision will change my mind.

We did nothing and almost 4000 people died.

No British PM of that time would have met a signalled humanitarian mission to protect people with force.

Stop the gungho redtop bravado Mark, tiresome and one dimensional.

If you respond with it again, I won't be answering.

• Advertisement

I agree that we are not Iran, Germany, US, Vietnam or Israel. We were significantly weaker diplomatically than any of them in 1970.

Germany in 1939 had allies, many of them powerful, Iran has support across the Arab world, the US is a world power leader of a vast military alliance, Vietnam had China and Soviet backing, Israel has US and NATO backing, compared to that we are a mosquito in diplomatic terms, able to be swotted away by any major power.

There were many more far worse despotic regimes than the UK in Northern Ireland in 1970 that were routinely ignored by the UN and the international community. Do you think we were different because we were special, because we were Irish? That is deluded exclusionary nationalist thinking.

Yourself and Brucie are making complete fools of yourselves peddling this line. Not surprised that you are backing off the debate. Have you found a single reliable historian who will support your theories about 1970?

I have produced links to back up my position completely, you have nothing.

Tayto Cheese and Onion was only 3p in 1970.

And that is about as relevant as what you are on about.

The relationship between the 2 countries is what would have stopped the British responding aggressively to a humanitarian mission...nobody would be rocking up to Stormont in tanks.

Britain wiping out a humanitarian mission in 1970...are you mad?

It would have been solved by diplomacy where we could have achieved protection for our people. Even if it failed it would have avoided the vacuum forming that a reluctant IRA saw no choice but to fill.

'Fill', as the British knew they would and Lynch and Dublin knew as well. Gross and tragic disregard, incompetency or willful neglect of duty any self respecting government would be ashamed of.

Show me a historian who assesses a possible humanitarian mission?

Serbia do not recognise the independence of Kosovo.

If Serbian forces moved into Kosovo tomorrow, what do you think would happen? They consider Kosovo to be part of their country, so surely it would be fine for them to move into their own country? sure they can't invade their own country!

I know I won't change your mind and your basic warmongering impulses, but at least others can see your true colours now.

Still no links to these fabled historians or policy makers or politicans? Ive asked 3 times now..

You want us to prove a negative.

The idea is so outlandish that no one has bothered to talk about it, except you.

There is a very basic reason why no one has touched such a theory. It too outlandish and whacky.

Maybe they can send in a humanitarian mission to try and rescue the poor people of Kosovo... I guess the NATO-led peacekeeping force there would just stand idly by.... :)

You can't produce a single commentator to back you up.

Go back and read the link I provided you because it is clear that you never did. The Irish Army assessment talks about it the "invasion" being under the guise of a "humanitarian mission". And still they predicted it would make things worse.

It was an utterly delusional proposal for the Irish Army to cross the border in 1970.

• Advertisement

That's up to Serbia.

WTF?

This isn't a competition. 'Tom got a treat so I should too Mammy'.

Every situation is different.

Advertisement