Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

Sorry if this is has been asked 1000 times before but are you left looking like Frankensteins monster after a HT? Let's say the procedure is 4,000 - 5000 grafts? If so, roughly for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Your scalp is a bit bloody scabby but after 3/4 days you wouldn't notice plus its a painless op Dentist is worse imo

Thanks for that. Getting HT done this week so was curious. I may make the Christmas drinking sessions yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Is that true about the pain? I've heard a lot of people say it is quite tough going, one of the reasons I'm hesitating a little.

I'm just back home today recovering from my op.

The toughest part for me were the initial injections into the head, which are required to apply the local anaesthetic. These injections were really painful tbh but it's over within a minute or so and after that you can't feel anything.

Everything after that is relatively plain sailing, I even fell asleep for a little while at one point.

• Advertisement

Interesting, wouldnt mind falling asleep and waking up with the job done.

Where'd you get it done? grafts? cost?

Went with Dr Nel after doing some research, most of which was on this thread. I should say thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, it's an invaluable resource for guys in our position.

Mine was just over 5,000 grafts. I didn't shave my head so it cost me a little extra, about 18k all in. Can only echo what's been said about Dr Nel on the thread, I had a great experience and he definitely helped put my mind at ease throughout. Staff were very friendly and reassuring and you're well looked after. So glad I took the step and it's done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Did he recommended propecia ? Any issues taking it ?

Congratulations on the transplant !

Proscar (fin) and loniten, dermaroller and nizoral shampoo once fifteen days has passed post procedure.

I've been taking fin for about six weeks now and no side effects to speak of.

And thanks! 10 days or so of sitting on the couch for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

• Advertisement

Yup, big enough job. >5k grafts over two days, also didn't shave my head (my choice) which makes it a bit more expensive.

I’ve heard of 2 session transplants, but usually with around a year between sessions, never of one taking place over 2 consecutive days. Was it extraction day 1 and implanting day 2?

Extraction of follicles and implants to frontal core on the first day. The remaining follicles were extracted the next day with implants to mid scalp and crown. The whole head done basically. My hair is pretty thin / fine as is so required a good number of grafts.

Yeah if I do it I’ll be getting 5k grafts, or more if possible. How long were u in each day? Was 5k grafts the maximum he would do, or could he have done more?

They're long enough days. First day was 13 hours or so, second day was a bit shorter, about 10 hours I think. He likes to "break the back" of it so to speak and get the bulk of the work done on the first day, it makes the second day a bit easier too.

He said he over shoots the amount of follicles i.e you actually end up getting more than you are quoted in the email but you are obviously not charged any extra. I left it up to his judgement as to how many to put in, I never considered asking for more but I'm sure it's something you could do.

Can anyone advise if this is the correct dermaroller to be using? 0.5mm which sounds right but seems to be aimed at women, couldn't give a rats about that as long as it works though.

That one will do fine, it has titanium needles which is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

congrats buddy, that would be a big change in your appearance. many try to hide the transplant but this is going to be a good enough change.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Very interesting read about some of the daily insecurities about baldness we go through:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/rdoymy/professor_made_fun_of_me_for_being_bald_in_the/

So for context, I'm a 22 year old with pretty advanced hair loss. Currently I've been keeping my hair super short as when it's grown out, It looks really bad.

A couple days ago I was in class which was meeting via zoom. Everyone in the class was working separately on individual projects and our cameras were all on.

While I was working, my Professor picked up his baby. The baby started looking at his computer screen and my Prof started playing with him and said "Look! That's u/samichwarrior! You have more hair than u/samichwarrior!"

Now. His comments made me feel like **** but i didn't say anything. I've gotta ask, am I right to be offended? I've asked my friends and parents and they were all in disbelief that he would say something like that in front of me.

Personally I would never comment on someone's physical appearance like that. I'm constantly obsessing over my lack of hair and I hate being bald. Can you imagine if I had said "Look! That's Tim! You're almost as chubby as Tim!" That would be totally unacceptable.

I'd appreciate suggestions of what I should do in this case. I've been considering emailing him because he might just be clueless as to how upsetting hair loss can be to someone. I hope that I can inform him so that he doesn't say that kind of stuff to future bald students.

Also, I'd like to take a moment to just express how bizarre it is that this insanely progressive professor is the one to make fun of my appearance. This guy's about as socially left-leaning as you can get. He was honestly the last person I'd expect to do this.

Did the doctor say how long you have to wait after surgery before you can begin derma rolling?

• Advertisement

He might have but I don't recall. Meeting him next week for post op checkup so will ask then.

From day 15 onwards I'm to shower as normal using nizoral shampoo so I would assume dermaroller use probably starts then but I might leave it another few weeks to let things fully settle down.

Post edited by Underground on

Anyone been to or heard of these boys...? As soon as I see the word "affordable" I become wary of what their standards might be like. Might be worth a free consultation at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not a chance,ask then who their surgeon is and specific close up before and afters from him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hairtransplantturkey

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah there bad mate.

Heres a question does Derma rolling actual work and has anyone tried it? I was thinking of giving it a go with Rogaine to thicken my hair but like most hair products a lot are a waste of money!

Yeah it works, I've seen impressive before/after photo improvements from people who just dermaroll.

How do you know GrowClub are bad? What have you heard?

How do you clean the dermaroller?

Also someone in here asked the last day - I was told to start on the dermaroller 4 weeks post HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its a while since I have been back in here (stupid boards.ie upgrade) and I've been limiting my time on boards.ie in general in a massive way which has been a good thing for me overall 😂

It's just over 2 years since I had my transplant with Ailesbury and I'm still mostly happy with the results of the transplant itself. However, the Saw Palmetto did not work for me. Sadly I continued to lose my pre-op original hair despite continuing to take the recommended dosage of Saw. My hairline came through very well and the hair on the left side of my head came through very well. Sadly, the hair on the right side did not take so well and I generally just comb my hair from left to right to make up the short fall lol.

I have since switched to Fin and I have noticed that the remaining hair I had has mostly maintained itself without any loss to my normal manly functions! ;)

I'm not saying the Saw Palmetto won't work for other people. I'm sure there are some people out there who have seen great success with it, but sadly it just didn't work for me. I took a chance with it and it didn't pay off.

By all means i would say people could still get a transplant with Ailesbury and see good results. Like, I said, I'm happy with my transplant results. But they have a good few different surgeons performing the ops in there so some users mileage may vary. 🤷‍♂️

Lord knows when I'll be back in this thread again, but if anyone has any questions they would like to ask me, PM'ing me is your best bet for the odd time I would pop in (usually during some major sporting event lol )

"Sadly, the hair on the right side did not take so well" - What does that mean? Some of your transplanted follicles fell out?

• Advertisement

Soak in 70% isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes, air dry for 5 minutes, derma roll, soak in alcohol for 2 minutes, briefly air dry, put derma roller away, done.

Advertisement