Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTC - Master Socket - Old House

Options
  • 01-12-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had contacted Vodafone to install FTTC. Their engineer came out and said he couldn't because he'd need to run a new cable from the box on my neighbours to the house and there were issues there.

I decided to check with Sky, engineer came out, said he could replace the existing master socket with their new one and should be no issues with existing cable.

So am kinda at a loss. Is the Sky person just saying yes but really the signal will be poor with the existing cabling? House was built in 60s, not sure when master socket was put in.

A second problem is master socket is in the hall with no power. Brother said he could put in a socket nearby to sort that out. Am just unsure about who is telling the truth about the master socket and if I should put my brother to the trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If there is an SNR or attenuation issue on the line, replacing just the master socket will not solve it. Without the cable being replaced the issue is still in place and the filter in a master socket can't fix that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

That's what I'm thinking but how would they/I test that before getting it installed? There's nothing plugged in at the moment. So it could be "get Sky to replace socket, then find issues" which wouldn't be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are Sky still doing a 2-part? If so the Sky tech is least useful of all (rest will be KN Circet on behalf of OE on behalf of X).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Nothing mentioned about KN Circet. But I got a discount from Virgin for the year so can leave it and maybe some FTTH will be available by then. But prob not.

Thanks for your comments!

Post edited by Daith on

Advertisement