Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep + it's only starting, it will be a rocky few hours.

I know Ophelia was very bad in parts of country but not in Dublin. I remember looking out the window to 'see' the wind because I couldn't hear it.

Not issue with that this morning, it's howling through the windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Very dark in Greystones, smaller trees flailing and the marina boats knocking together. Extremely wet and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Not bad here in north cork, gusty, ive seen worse. Might be too early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Seriously strong gusts in D22.... a little worrying at times given ibe to go to work and the noise of it coming down the chimney is shocking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Normal windy day in Galway the heavy rain passed around 3 or 4am this morning showers now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭fits

well its daylight here now which usually helps but it’s still sustained here in south Carlow. Bad bad storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Up near Riverstick here.. its not a nice sight to see poles and trees move like this!

Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gone eerie quiet in North Kerry region.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Cody montana

A nothing burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

7 degrees in Galway, windy and bad squally showers. Most of the rain fell around 4am by the sounds of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ludeen

Strong winds here near Roches point. Woke me about 4am then seemed to ease ,just about a gale now. Maybe when it veers nor'west it will strengthen ,hopefully though its hit its peak. Definitely not at Ophelia levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very strong gusts in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Just back from walking the dog here in Dundrum. Not that bad tbh when's the storm meant to hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The sustained nature of the wind seems to be a feature of this storm, not so many gusty events but rather sustained high winds with occasional stronger gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭denismc

Looking at the ESB power outage map Leinster and Mayo seems to be the worst affected so far and it's early days yet.

The ESB crews will be busy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Big showers of hail here in SW Donegal. Gusty but nothing to bad. We aren't due the storm anyway and only a Yellow warning area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm in Cork city and it's been nothing really for the last hour and a bit. Bit of rain and wind but nothing out of the ordinary really so far.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Feck....better get down to the marina to have a look! Was down there last night putting out extra lines/fenders on my boat!

Really quite rough now in Greystones with driving rain. 980mb atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Getting wild out there South Leitrim. Looking at the forecast tonight and tomorrow look really bad for this area. So unusual to get a storm of this duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That would depend on whether you are in Dublin, Tipperary, Down or Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Strong gusts and showers so far but nothing prolonged yet here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Not much going on in D15, just a bit of wind and rain, definitely not storm conditions.

Bit of wind and rain in Meath but seems to have calmed down now. Nothing major so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

And as for people asking 'Has it peaked yet?'

Its just the beginning. This is going to be an unusualy long event.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 67kts/Force 12 at DunLaoghaire Harbour atm. Impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

It's looking very dark out west, and the offshore winds are quite powerful. It sounds and feels like the winds are coming from all directions. But looking up you can see the clouds blowing eastwards out towards the ocean. I'm sure it'll reverse and throw a lot of moisture down. It's so strange it's like standing in the middle of a snow globe looking up and the clouds are going in a circle as you look at the horizon all around you north south east and west it's like

I never seen that before, it's hard to describe it but it's odd.

• Advertisement

Dublin must be seeing massive variations. Maybe the shield of the Wicklow mountains has something to do with it why Dundrum is quiet.

Certainly wild down the road in Sandymount.

Advertisement