Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

It seems that spoofer Paddy Diver has been shown up for the charlatan he is, Fighting the corner for the poor man but not registering/ paying taxes on his rental,he’s not in this for the good of humanity……seems to have an over inflated opinion of his ability to sway public opinion/govt policy and is completely delusional on public support for his cause……I wouldn’t disown a whole county on the back of him however,a large parts unaffected and a lot of these Inishowen lads are only from Donegal when it suits them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

"Does not cover current rebuild costs" says who?

SCSI gives a rebuild cost for a 4 bed detached estate home of 2000sqft of €277,000 for a home destroyed by fire for example.

According to the mica protesters, the reconstruction of one of these homes will be entitled to a grant of €255,000 plus up to an additional €20,000 rent and storage cost. Parking the storage grant (how many will claim less than the max I wonder?) that leaves the homeowner to find €22k. Not a lot really in the grand scheme of things, but to be fair, it might be unaffordable for some. However, when you take into account the salvaged materials, fixtures, fittings, windows, doors, sanitary and heating system, you more than approach the €255k value - you end up below it.

If anything, the scheme is far too generous, it's really quite unbelievable that people are complaining about this as not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You did not include demolition costs. And it takes labour to save the reusable bits.

I'm just going by what I read from builders and quantity surveyors in the media.

I know it's not a million miles away and the household contributions will be small in the grand scheme of things but significant for individuals to find. Maybe they should be offered interest free loans to bridge the gap.

I agree Diver should be removed from the spotlight now, he's got his point across and could cause a negative backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The above figure from SCSI includes allowances for demolition as well as professional fees and vat. Doesn't include material recovery, but that is negligible really, and much could and indeed should be done by the homeowner.

What you hear in the media, at least up to now hasn't been fair - just the same vested interests pushing for an ever larger scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't know where Donegal people are getting their demolition drivers, but they're not the same place I'm getting my demolition drivers.

A lad in a digger would have most of it done in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Everything will be inflated, it's from the same school of thought that the Healy Rae bring to the table, "sure da government are paying". So you will have every lad in Donegal who is suddenly a "builder" and all putting together companies to grab as much money as possible to rebuild these houses. Give it another 20 years and the same houses will be falling down again because Johnny and Mikey down the road didn't know one end of a hammer to the other.

THe same lads who build the house in the first place will now be paid again to build the house again. It is absolutely crazy what goes on in Ireland. If they couldn't build a proper house day 1 do you honestly think they can now?

In a local estate they have pyrite, the builder done a legger as pyrite was only one of the issue and the residents got screwed. Now they have a company in removing the pyrite. It's the same lad only running a new company in a different name. All the flat roofs are gone because not done properly and he is actually going around telling the residents he can fix "at a good price" because he is already onsite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I agree with alot of things you have said, and strangely so do the homeowners. That's why most of them would be more than happy with the housing authority to take control of all dealings with the contractors the same ad happened in Leinster. These families have enough on their plate without having to deal with prices and builders. So don't be blaming the homeowners if what you say happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

The sq/ft applies to every house, not just ones under 420k. As an example, my house will be 13k short, not including demolition.

Says the SCSI rebuild calculator compared to the sliding scale grant. Taking away the demolition cost from both (since it's covered by SCSI [I did not actually know this, useful information] and not covered by the grant) I'm still left with an impossible amount of money to make up.

The storage and rent claim won't just be "give me 20k", it will be with receipts and proof of actual use.

13k (plus demolition, as it is not part of the scheme) is completely unattainable for me, and I'm on the lower end of total cost, never mind an average sized house.

Salvaging materials will take away from the total cost too, they aren't going to give the money without proof it went on those items. I will not be able to say "oh yeah, I need 2k for windows" and just reuse the old ones.

Great, now what do they do with the demolished materials? that's where the expense is.

Well done, you didn't read into the actual issue at all, but barged in guns blazing like you are an expert. 10/10.

The actual building of the houses were fine (or at least, structurally fine), the materials turned out to be subpar in a way that is impossible to know until years later.

They make profit from that by selling it as crushed stone or concrete! Where do you think crushed concrete comes from?

13k is cheap when you're getting a brand new house! Get a loan! Imagine someone builds a house today and then they can get their house rebuilt for just 13k more in 20 years, everyone would bite your arm off for that.

• Advertisement

House rebuilt but dont want to have to deal with cost, builders, anything really.

Blocks were bad, not your fault I agree, help should be given I agree, but this attitude of "i want it fixed and its nothing to do with me" is just nonsense- particularly when you are so fixated on the government having to do and cover everything.

The situation isnt ideal so youd be best advised to stop pretending to yourself that you have an ideal route out of it and start thinking about where you compromise because surely the worst outcome at this stage for those most in need is dragging it further and further while a few latchigos want to squeeze the neck of de council

Your right situation isn't ideal at all. And latchigos like yourself trying to tell people what is suitable for them isn't ideal either.

Why should they have to deal with builders or contractors. The people in Leinster didn't have too. Or are they different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

They weren't looking at full rebuilds were they? The cost of the whole scheme was also a lot lower, 150m or so. You will be looking at at probably 20 times that.

Because there problem was acted on quickly. Perhaps if the problem up here was addressed when concerns were made it wouldn't be such a large scale disaster as it is. Out of sight out of mind.

63k* based on a 50k demolition cost. A loan that can't be secured against my house, as the bank considers it "worthless"

If it were possible to replace the walls without doing anything internally, we would take it. Unfortunately, the walls hold the whole thing up.

I don't get where this attitude comes from to be honest. You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about Dublin up there.

Dublin counties discovered an issue with pyrite in their building materials. Nearly immediately they set up a scheme that covered storage, accomodation and repair.

Northwest counties discovered there was an issue with mica on their building materials. Years later, we're fighting to get the same thing, and being pushed back at every opportunity.

I just think if it was sorted for families in Leinster it should be sorted for families in Donegal the same. I think if you have a read back through this thread you will find out what people have the chip on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I read into the issue but I didn't see you answer was any builder/contractor affected at all by the Mica issue?

• Advertisement

It was set up in 2014, they are still working on houses so it is hardly progressing quickly. There have been a couple of offers for redress so far for the mica affected houses. The scheme will cost a huge amount and it is important to note the state is not legally on the hook for the costs. The state doesn't provide a guarantee that all products meet regs.

Maybe cap it at the same total cost as the pyrite scheme. Then we would at least have some fairness. Wouldn't want anyone feeling like they were getting less.

I don't have an answer, I'm not a builder.

They may still be working on houses, but the point is the scheme was set up quickly and covers the homeowners needs. We want the same treatment.

The state may not be legally culpable (without it actually being tried in court, this is impossible to tell, even if the dept said they aren't) but it has a duty of care to its citizens. Hell, even if they have only a duty of care to the banks, having 6000+ households default on their mortgages and leave a near-worthless site is hardly in anyone's best interests.

Also, how much of the cost of this scheme ends up going back to the state in tax? VAT on materials, income tax, USC, corporate tax from the building companies etcetc. I'd like a breakdown on that, but this is not provided.

Builders are already at full capacity, so it is unlikely there will be any additional building taking place, they will just be working on different projects.

Actually, I think it would be better for the householders to default on their mortgages. That would seem the best outcome to me. Not all have mortgages though I suppose, at least Paddy Diver doesn't have one as far as I understood, so may not suit him.

50k demolition cost. LOOOOOOL.

Millionaires will be made from this.

What would your thinking be on cost.

Throw out a figure and breakdown of costs.

Might be plenty of work up here for you. That's if you're not an armchair expert. LooooooL.

Again, the cost is from disposal, not the actual demolition. This is not a figure out of the air, this is what was quoted to a Mica affected family.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

A sizable chunk of the 6000 will be mortgage-free and the total rebuid cost will be a fraction of any remaining mortgage anyway. Banks could just take the site and follow the customer for the rest on default, you don't build a 2500sqft house on the dole(well legally anyway). FYI The government has a duty of care to the taxpayer in using our money responsibly too.

50k demolition cost for a few days work seems outrageous. In reality, it will cost nowhere near this and the same contractor will do the rebuild and demolition and will price the rebuild appropriately and just a nominal sum for demolition.

Again on the demolition subject Do you know this from experience or the work your in,or another armchair expert.

• Advertisement

What are you even talking about, the fact that you've managed to wedge social welfare recipients into this means that a reasonable conversation with you is impossible.

And in case it was missed, again.

THE COST OF DEMOLITION IS THE REMOVAL OF MATERIALS.

I COULD RENT A GODDAMN DIGGER AND WRECK MY HOUSE IN NO TIME, THAT IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

Advertisement