Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ay yes, but technology wasn't what it is now. Much better at tracking and modelling this stuff in real time now. I think the right call was made, even if it saves one life its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Calmed down a good bit here in D13 on the coast. Rain has stopped and seems to be brightening up. Wind has died down a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Donegal Sligo Leitrim in orange now for tomorrow on met Éireann app , the website hasn't updated yet , surprised there was no warning for wintry showers today

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain seems to have passed and wind has eased in Greystones. Off to check boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm in Rush, Co. Dublin, by the sea, and the wind & rain has been driving relentlessly for the last 4-5 hours now..

The wind is blowing directly towards me from South Wales, with little to nothing in its way apart from the Kish Lighthouse.....

The windspeed has been steadily increasing over the last hour. It will probably be worse tomorrow morning, though by then Eastern counties will be better protected as the wind blows over land.

I would absolutely not want to be bringing my child to school this morning, and I'm glad common sense prevailed and the schools were closed. Its not the wind/rain that will do the damage, it's the increased levels of traffic of both people and cars that will tip a situation like today over the edge. It might not have happened, but lets not give it the chance to happen.

In the space of 15 minutes dead calm here and blue skies in D4. Currently having a coffee on the balcony.

Can see the next batch of clouds rolling in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

The way this country is gone people will be looking for "stay at home forever" orders soon.

Absolutely stupid closing half the country when most areas get average wind and rain with the exception of a few exposed headlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Morning commute to schools would have been horrendous in Dublin/Wicklow. Right decision made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sudden increase in wind speeds in cork city there with some strong gusts, sign of what's to come I think.

• Advertisement

Yep. Amber warning where I am. It's also bin day and bins have been collected.

Wind is not even strong enough to knock around the empty wheelie bins...

I had to use a day annual leave to look after my son. Sun coming out now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Following a very breezy to windy morning in west Dublin city with light to moderate rain with the odd heavier burst, there's some good breaks in the sky with plenty of blue sky to be seen now. Breeze is fresh now with strong breeze to near gale gusts but it's currently a regular winter low pressure kind of day, as I type. I am about 7km inland from the east coast though and the area is built up but it would be quite representative of a lot Dublin city folk at the moment, bar those much closer to or on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

All well and good and stay safe. But this is weather is no reason for shutting down schools again. The impact of which has knock on effects for neighboring counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As an old age pensioner? No fear here, young person so please stop patronising us? Thank you. We have seen and endured more than you will ever know... and we make our own judgements on the weather etc! Not that i at nearly 80 listen to the radio or even have TV.

Where I am is stormy now; but what is there to fear? Stay inside, get a good fire going... We cope far better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gone relatively calm now in D24. Much wilder morning than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

maybe not where you are, but in my town, it's absolutely been the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

We need a Red Warning for anti-everything crazies infecting this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The attitude of small few here seems to be

"Ah for **** sake the roof of my house is still up, this is a disgrace" wtf like? Like spolit little brats.

If people could see the pictures coming in of homes flooded so far in cork and I'm sure other parts of country.

Be thankful that its calm where you are if that lucky.

Never understand this attitude.

Stay safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭denismc

That's because you are in the eye of the storm, wait a couple of hours and see if the bins are still there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Storm Barra: Northwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts of 100 to 130 km/h, with localised stronger winds likely. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.
    • Valid: 02:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021 to 14:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021
    • Issued: 09:35 Tuesday 07/12/2021

Status Orange - Wind warning for Leitrim, Sligo

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Storm Barra: Northwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with severe or damaging gusts of 100 to 130 km/h, with localised stronger winds likely. Due to a combination of high waves, storm surge and high tide, coastal flooding is expected. Disruption to power and travel are likely.
    • Valid: 20:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 08:00 Wednesday 08/12/2021
    • Issued: 09:35 Tuesday 07/12/2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Out here very strong wild wind and sheeting rain. Internet died on me or maybe the computer and dare not leave this page...Thought it was the server at first

Just had to go outside and such bitter icy cold and saturating rain,,,, brrrr

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Picking up again in D7, some noteworthy gusts for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Kinda raging I didn't send mine in now, especially as I can walk to the school...ah well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Barra for me is a welcome change. Something else for a change on the airwaves than covid, covid, covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Any sign of Graces7? Does she still post here?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paso Fino

Suddenly very still in Donabate - space of 10 minutes it was wild and then calm. Glad I can't hear the roof creaking anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

What some people don't seem to realise is that storms kill people. I've actually had someone tell me that Ophelia shouldn't have been a red warning because it "only killed 4 or 5 people".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh not disagreeing with you. Some areas needed it but most didn't. We need to be careful but this is mad stuff. Why is it not ok to question these decisions in Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 werenotthere

By the sea in South West kerry here. It's wild, sea is pure white. Went outside for a feel of the wind, it was like sticking your head out of a car window on a motorway. It's definitely picking up aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

It's been said many, many times. Schools have to ventilate at the moment, open windows and doors create wind tunnels and danger for kids and staff. Apart from the cold wind and rain also. If that doesn't help you see it was the right decision there's no point trying...

Advertisement