Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

I've seen a few of these storms over the last few years and they were nearly always just glancing blows, the storm changed track, etc, but this one is definitely coming head on into us.

There surely has to be some serious weather power out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

We really need to issue stay on the ground orders to trampolenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

I’m putting in a claim against met Eireann. No way should schools have been closed today in Dublin. It’s lovely outside. Will eat my words if it picks up in the afternoon.

I also think putting the country in fear for 24hrs is not good when it’s really not that bad, because when a really bad one hits us in the future people will tend not to believe it’s bad and venture out and then wallop.

not good at all by Met e Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

We’ve become a nanny state. A county of weak and scared ninnys looking to hide under the bed at the drop of a hat if the man tells us to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Have you got a better way? should they both shut? If the school in Lucan opens should the one on the beach in Sandymount as they are both in Dublin?

And before you say they should give warnings a different way, you tell the professional meteorologists how to do their job, since you're telling the education department to do their job. You should probably just run everything, I'm sure you're qualified and everything would be perfect then...

• Advertisement

Society cannot function based on the idea that we should stay at home if it saves 1 life.

A precedent has now been set to potentially close schools for amber warnings. That's going to cause a lot of hassle for parents

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You're right. They're all a bunch of muppets, they should close every school, or no school at all. That's the only reasonable thing to do.

Gusser, for christmas, you might want to get a dictionary and look up the word 'Marginal'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sunny and blue skies in D15 but wind seems to be picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

"You can never please all of the people all of the time" - always worth remembering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Dunno what the fuss is about. It’s completely overblown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'll drop out of this discussion now before I get a card.

As I've said though you can't question decisions being made by the authorities without being attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

"And the house comes with a gravity-defying trampoline"

SOLD!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Fairly spot on with a yellow warning here on the kildare /laois border . Very heavy rain earlier this morning and gusty before 9am had a lull for about an hour and gas gone very gusty now again with no rain .

Dropping the child to school this morning and every window in class room open and teacher instructed not to close them . Hard for any child to learn in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

North County Dublin here. We had a couple of hours of strong winds but blue skies atm. My front fence, which has been up for 30 years has been blown flat - 120 foot in total. Posts snapped out of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Since when did Orange warning = schools closed?

Even the red warning counties its only the exposed headlands where the wind tends to be red territory.

And the irony is there are few trees in the areas where 130kph+ winds tend to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Power gone here and rough as a badgers arse. South Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

The nature of weather is that it's changeable. Weather forecasting isn't accurate enough to say, for example that Lucan will be fine, but a few miles away will be stormy. That's why alerts are given by county because it's not possible to be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Max gust of 95kmh so far at my station near Cobh. Fairly gusty day alright, yellow touching orange at times here. Glad I didn't have to commute in the dark today, that would not have been pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I was working in Limerick city centre that day, I got disciplined for not doing the cash lodgement that day due to the weather...it was proper scary sh!t people couldn't even stand, debris flying all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Picked up in North kerry now. We still have power. Thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Come and see my fence and the damage it has done. If you think sending kids into schools where they have to have windows and doors open for ventilation is a good idea, then I have some magic beans I am trying to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for your contribution. It's been done to death in the past 24 hours. Read the thread for the myriad of answers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Windy and squally in West Meath a couple of hours ago. Some trees down. Much calmer for a while. Picking up again now.

So far, gusts at Dunsany and Mullingar stations have been nowhere near yellow warning level, let alone orange level. Recent history shows that ME always err on the side of caution and that for much of the country, warnings tend to be one level above what they should be based on ME's own wind speed criteria.

If warnings are being issued and schools closed based on things like "it's daylight" or "the windows are open due to covid" instead of meeting actual wind speed criteria is this stated anywhere or would that be too transparent.

Did Norma Foley say that schools in orange warning areas are advised to close because those areas might get red warnings later. Sounds like we are in an ass covering, abundance of caution spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I see that fool Eamon Ryan has to push his agenda and mention climate change again when talking about the storm.

Give it a rest salad boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Probably Tony Hooligans fault. Start a FB page and a protest. Sheep, the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,072 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ah jesus, I'm not even justifying people going out in a storm - but to say its a choice between sit at home or be killed by a fallen tree! How dramatic can you get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Close to 11 now in cork and no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just saw a wheelie bin turn over! Stay safe out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Bad day in Ennis, but nothing like a storm as of yet. River in Clarecastle was very high this morning and when I passed they were putting down sandbags to prevent flooding. I'm expecting it'll be a lot worse in a few hours and am shutting things down from 2pm.

Advertisement