Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Nothing much ever happens in Dublin in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

There's a fair few around here alright that should take the day off.... Would only be a good thing if their power went

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Silly q time

Based in East Galway............has the worst of the storm essentially happened for this area? Or is the worst still to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

I think it's later for there. Clare is around 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Beginning to get gusty again in Dublin18. Was quite calm from about 9.00am until 11.30am. Sky darkening and rain failing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

How is calling out an extreme over reaction to a bit of wind* "trolling"

*Yes some areas warrant schools being closed today but the vast majority that are closed do not.

People are entitled to argue their point without being branded "troll" "fucwit" "covid denier" etc.

I'm under the duvet all morning listening to parts of the chimney stack roll off the roof. The greenhouse broke it's moorings at about 7.30am so I've tied it down temporarily with bungee cord until I can safely get out there to sort the place out. Glad I had the foresight to put the bins in a safe place last night, still blowy as flep out there. My home is under the canopy of several very large and protected 200+ yr old trees so always live in anticipation of one of the limbs coming down because that would be bad. Otherwise I did belly laughs watching the birds feeding outside earlier, they're fairly aerodynamic all the same. Thanks be to Covid I've a healthy supply of bottled water, food, candles and a gas camping stove so I'm ok if nothing works for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭J2CVC

I think it's a total misunderstanding to be honest. People don't have a clue how storms are forecast. People have no idea that they can't be accurately predicted and pinpointed to certain areas. People have no clue that it could have been potentially worse than this - we just had to wait and see.

But we see it everywhere now that even the most uninformed and unintelligent think their voice should be heard loud and clear. There's no embarrassment or awareness.

We have roads flooded, 59k affected by power outages, trees on cars, ambulances and fire brigades out all over the country, slates off etc etc.. But Derek from down the road ignores all that, look up from his cornflakes and all looks fine out so he'll happily go on a national forum and have his little outrage. Convinced his voice should be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think there is a major conspiracy between the mainstream media, met eireann, brennans bread and the dairy industry to keep people penned up indoors...

Throw in primary school teachers there aswell actually......and i nearly forgot NPHET...theyre behind all this fake weather....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Speak Now

111 kph gust in Waterford with mean speeds in the 70's, hitting the orange criteria as forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Not so bad in Cork City now....quite sunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭gipi

Drogheda, Co Louth

Winds are beginning to pick up again, it was relatively calm for a couple of hours.

Sun and blue skies are disappearing, getting dark and grey again. Not near the coast, I believe high tide is about 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Wind is picking up and the sky has gotten very dark in Dublin 20

I dunno. Everyone reacts differently to events like these. I can make jokes about it, but am actually nervous about the effects and very sympathetic to anyone that is hit by it. Lived in a place with hurricanes every year and tornados every couple of years. The damage can be catastrophic and the ways in which people die are just absurd and cruel. Never felt so cold wet and miserable in my life as I did during some of those hurricanes... and I've been to Donegal! :D Joking around by playing it down isn't the worst.. laugh in the face of adversity (but please wear a mask and keep your social distance).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

because its not an "extreme over reaction"

it was a forecast to a storm that has hit nationwide, and as per the warnings(and times given) has been as bad as forecast, particularly in regards to wind speeds, with plenty more to come over then next 24 hours

To play it down as "well in my backyard blah blah blah" is either trolling or being purposely obtuse,

But you see, as annoying as they are, it's not them derailing the thread. It's the posters who can't help taking the bait. The 200 posts complaining about the complainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have you registered your mother as a "vulnerable person" with ESB? Please do They give priority as I know from personal experience. It has made a great difference here. And I am now happy with ESB . I am still trying to work out the timings in your post re a dozen times day? several times a day between etc? Being not totally dependent on ESB for everything helps us old ones too; solid fuel or gas heaters and cookers.

• Advertisement

You flying from Knock? The orange alert comes into effect for Sligo/Leitrim at 8pm tonight (Donegal later) and is in place for much of Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

I was one of those mothers in 2014. I had to drive through an area where there were lots of old big trees, some of which had fallen. I had to make a detour because a very large tree had fallen on the road. My daughter was stuck on the other side of Limerick and I couldn't get across Limerick to collect her. My husband was locked in at work - until bits of the building started to blow off at which time they were told to evacuate. He eventually managed to collect our daughter and had to take a circuitous route home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Another silly question, has the storm passed over Cork at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

No, still in progress. It ll be sustained winds for the afternoon evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

No, probably going to last several hours yet. There might be a calmer diesel for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Does anyone want to get together after this and share our ignore lists... just in case one or two of the f*ckwits have slipped through?

Any way, back to the weather, I'm currently recording 957.0hPa here and I think that's the lowest this station has ever recorded. I would guess that Barra is currently sat on our rooftop. Flat calm, no gusts and the rain has stopped. The cloud is even clearing enough to see the snow on the mountains.

A strange atmosphere... like the storm is taking a deep breath before cutting wild.

North County Galway

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not yet, Latest airport readings say gusts up to 60kts from 12-6pm

Red warning Valid: 12:05 Tuesday 07/12/2021 to 21:00 Tuesday 07/12/2021 (as per met.ie)

This is a long and drawn out event rather than a quick passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Why can't we all get along . . .

It's either (1) Grrrr, there's no storm [insert meme of patio chait blown over] with "I survived Barra 2021" in white typeface. Sit back glowing in smugness.

Or (2) Won't someone think of the children, shut it down in Lockdown.

There is a middle ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Based on your posts on this thread, I concur with the adjective used

Advertisement