Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're not "warning" of more deadly viruses though really. The point was made that there is no guarantee that Covid is the worst thing to happen in a century and that nothing bad will come along for another 100 years. There could be another pandemic in five years' time and it could be worse.

Key word there being "could". It's basically a lottery. It's guaranteed that there will be pandemics in future, but no guarantee of when they will occur or how severe they will be.

The warning in general is that pandemic preparedness has been underfunded for decades and up to covid was seeing funding dropping continuously. In many ways we got lucky with covid that we were able to pull our sh1t together so quickly to minimise the impact. A more deadly virus could wreak absolute chaos, so there's a need for a global effort to ensure unity on our preparedness for future pandemics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

Then Sajid Javid was lying to parliament. Maybe Omicron will become an issue but it doesn't seem to be one at the moment.

...down 31 on yesterday. Up 2 on Sunday's number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Of course your right but the timing of these things and the context is very important. If they were to report on everything that could be a problem in the future we’re would we be. Also this isn’t the first pandemic and won’t be the last the difference is the media and social media which keep reporting day in day out looking for the next fear driver.

If the same energy and focus had been put on to the health services every year and what we could be facing with its short comings maybe we would be in a better place.

like I said these things need context it’s about feeding the fear and getting clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The point is to "make news".

Interview someone, ask them loaded questions (Is it possible we could see an even worse pandemic in the next century?) and then misrepresent their answers to get a clickbaity article. Thats how journalism works nowadays

Spot on as can be seen today the storm is front and centre covid relegated to the benches for now.

The point of the statement is, to use your examples, that countries at high risk of tsunamis invest in flood defences. Countries in earthquake zones invest in mitigation measures. And so forth.

The entire world is in a "pandemic risk zone" if you want to think of it that way, and we should therefore remember what had to be done this time, build on it, invest more in it, so that when the next one comes along we are better prepared and don't have to engage in rolling lockdowns and travel bans, and mandatory vaccinations, in order to allow life to keep moving forward while we deal with the issue.

Countries that experience natural disasters on a regular basis, take note of what failed each time and invest to avoid making those same mistakes the next time. This is what the world needs to do.

Edit: I would also agree that for some of the media, the point of the article is to sensationalise the "more deadly virus" bit, while if you actually read what she said, that's not the point at all.

Nabarro said yesterday that the WHO is not aware of a single case in the whole world of serious illness linked to omicron. The whole response is a panicked, knee jerk, unscientific mess

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This type of thinking keeps coming back around, there's 2 possibilities here:

• The number in ICU unvaccinated is being inflated so that NPHET and the government can keep the COVID pass in use
    • There is still an issue with the number of unvaccinated in ICU that means that NPHET and the government has to keep the COVID pass in use

If the former, you need to also come up with reasons the government (and governments across Europe and in the UK) want to do this, they have access to all the data and are reporting the reasons why and implementing the policy.

Otherwise it goes around and around in a "with COVID or for COVID" circular argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Lets be honest we know NPHET and the Government used the Omicron strain as an excuse to close nightclubs and bring in other restrictions, the data isnt there yet to justify the move but do it anyway, keep blaming the unvaccinated and hope it distracts everyone enough to stop pointing out how crap our heath system is despite the huge sums pumped into it every year.

It's just depressing in this country!

It's going to be windy tomorrow, orange warning and close the schools.

Why should we close the schools?

Well, an abundance of caution and sure the windows would be open.

Just close the windows?

Oh we can't, they'll die of COVID.

But only 1 person under 20 died with COVID.

Yeah well if we didn't close the windows it would be 1000.

I imagine kids summer holidays will eventually be cancelled and replaced with winter lockdowns as schools are too dangerous.

Hysteria has really won in this country.

Aren't schools closed anyway tomorrow on account of the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is interesting that you are essentially anti all public safety measures :) A true libertarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

It would be pointless. Cork city will be underwater in 50-100 years anyway because of climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

we would do better to focus our efforts on areas of public safety which are actually a threat to people's lives

• Registered Users Posts: 15,255 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Completely off topic but schools in orange areas were closed as Met Eireann advised orange areas could turn red with little notice. Then your into issues getting kids home from school etc if that were to happen.

But as I say completely off topic so I'll leave it at that.

ICU up 7 to 117. Again very little sign of the forecast numbers.

So after nearly 2yrs of Covid and Covid fatigue clearing setting in time to do a rebrand and introduce Omnicron. And I don’t mean that in a conspiracy type way.

I don’t envy any government official who has to try turn of the fear factor that some in the population have. Especially in the old and vulnerable who were at most risk.

Hopefully this is a positive rebrand ( maybe not the best word ) as in more transmissible but not as deadly and we can try and change the mindset of fear away from Covid.

I think if we can get over this winter and get the boosters sorted and try to get attention away from Covid we might be able to put this behind us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Its just 2 weeks since Tony said we will see 2-3 ICU admissions a day per 1000 new cases.

Vaccines and boosters have worked.

Its done.

We still need to see some clear data about Omicron, and if that's OK, potentially by the end of the year we may be looking at a much better year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

"I'm sure that the Government will have learned their lesson and will fully reopen come April / May of next year"

I'd want to see them use proper metrics for reopening as soon as possible! None of this arbitrary spring reopening nonsense - just to be sure, to be sure like. We simply cannot write off the first four to five months of next year again.

If the numbers in hospital are good enough covid wise, then open up to **** - if that's in mid January so be it.

We need a lot more visibility and clearer messaging on exactly why any restrictions are in place if any.

We should no longer accept these lingering restrictions - we're 93% vaxxed and well into the booster programme. Enough now !!

*Gusser09 I'm sure you were being sarcastic in your post and it wasn't lost on me - but it's a narrative I'm hearing/seeing a lot lately in a more serious vein, and it worries me. This acceptance that restrictions will linger around till the weather improves ? It just doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I can understand the panic given what Delta did. I'm happy with the just-in-case restrictions so long as travel bans etc are removed the minute we find out Omicron isn't a big deal - if that is to be the case. However we know they'll be AGES in getting rid of pre-departure testing for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"The Taoiseach has told the Dáil that tens of thousands of people are not turning up for booster vaccines.

Micheál Martin revealed that in the week beginning 22 November, some 208,000 vaccine appointments were offered and just 80,000 people tuned up.

He added that last week 180, 000 booster appointments were available and only 93,000 attended."

Who could possibly have predicted that 2 years of incompetence and bullshit communication would result in people turning away.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

My mother had her booster three weeks ago and has been sick since,before that she had a epidural for a back injury but the booster is after counteracting the effects of that.

she said no way is she taking another vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The groundwork is being laid now for invalidating covid passes when booster isn’t taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

...because, health. Only Moderna boosters available currently, according to this article.

Mix and match, take it or leave it (but you must take it).

Sorry, but this falls so far below acceptable medical standards.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40760619.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Advertisement