Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Two labourers working 8hr days would have an average house stripped in a week. Another 3 days if the slates are to be salvaged.

Now I know labour is expensive, but it's not €25k/week expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

Sounds like you should move up here then, as an expert on demolition, you could do it cheaper and make quite the fortune. Or are you peddling nonsense?

Keep going on about the people in leinster, its working brilliantly for ye id say

I never heard anything about any people in leinster. Never heard any threats by them to shut down anywhere. Never heard any figures of 240k per house. If i contributed to their houses, whatever it was, it seems to have been not what this is.

Seeing as you keep bringing it up, tell me the three ways that the leinster item differs from mica and why it might have been resolved so easily?

I wish i heard as much about how the block suppliers and their various corporate assets and fallbacks had been pursued, because that would be good to get in detail rather than the forty things you want to discuss instead

Again- youre not going to get a blank cheque guarantee of all you want as if this never happened.

So where are you willing to compromise to get it sorted?

Because everyone looking on only sees a campaign stuck in a set of increasingly poorly chosen positions, disinterested in any real solution and lashing out at any attempt at practical resolution

That's because the folks in Leinster got the things they needed without having to make such a fuss.

Their houses are easier to repair, based on what the problem is. If it were possible to actually fix our houses cheaper, we'd do it.

Three reasons- main issue was in the foundation, which was repairable without pulling down the entire house.

This meant everything inside (walls, floors etc) was mostly salvageable, and the things that were not were covered by the scheme.

Their houses were not going to be reduced to powder over time, less emphasis was on immediately fixing the buildings.

There's three.

The block supplier was taken to court, it was ascertained that they did not have even close to the amount required to make this right, nor insurance to cover it The fact that they are not all in prison, and still able to operate as a business is a goddamn joke.

We don't want a blank cheque, we want our houses to be safe, and to have storage and accomodation while this happens.

There's compromise, and then there's impossible scenarios such as expecting to foot over 50k when it is not possible to borrow against the house, as it is "worthless".

I work in the industry and I do know what's involved in a strip out.

It doesn't take €50k to demolish and strip a site the size of a block built house unless it's contaminated with hazardous waste, or several storeys high. A bungalow is cheapest of all as limited scaffold is required.

The householder can even do a lot of it as the work isn't particularly skilled.

• Advertisement

Then move up here and start a business. I hear there's likely going to be a lot of demolition required up here soon, you'll be flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They weren't pursued. A letter from their solicitor about lack of insurance cover was issued.

No ones pursued them for money through the High Court. No one.

Personally I'm still confused why someone would buy a twenty year old house in the last few years with cracks over the doors and windows amongst other area in the house for absolute rock bottom prices. It's absolutely alarm bells central. Even with flashing red lights.

It could be argued they saw the price and said sure feck it.

Thanks for the response, i should say i appreciate your clarity and patience on the topic in this thread, i do think a lot of what's thrown at the people involved is unfair- as ive already said.

If the scale of the issue in leinster (really only leinster? im sure there were cases i heard of around the country there too tbh) was so much smaller then it is reasonable that this is a different thing, without it becoming a "leinster vs donegal" thing

Half of leinster is culchies anyway

The issue of shortfall in what can be borrowed is real and i think that any scheme should have an addendum to cover a financial tool to allow for this without it having to be secured against the property commercially- i think the thread has suggested a few ways this could be done and i think it would have backing for family homes at the very least

Youre notably of a different tenor than others in the thread and in the other thread- do you feel that the campaign has to stick with the public message covering all properties 100% or will there come a stage where the majority of people leave the very vocal to it?

If the average householder genuinely believes that it will cost 50k to strip their house, then there is indeed a killing to be made here.

But do they really think that, or is it just a line for the campaign because it doesn't stand up to any simple form of interrogation.

They were pursued, discovered there was no possibility of redress, and decided not to waste money chasing them. There is a seperate ongoing legal case now, with Coleman Legal and many property owners. It's in early stages as of yet.

I bought my house because it was roughly the market rate for the area, and my surveyor said the cracking was superficial, and not of a structural concern.

• Advertisement

Here is a quote from October. 40k in this instance. There are other users dotted about that have shared their quotes, but I don't use Facebook often and cannot find them again now.

In my eyes (and obviously the other mica campaigners) the scale shouldn't be part of the conversation. The same failures happened - bad regulation. Similar problems between the houses (cracking, slow collapse etc) but in the case of mica, it is throughout the entire house, not the foundation. We want the same treatment.

I'm also conflicted, because I think all properties should be absolutely covered, no one is at fault for buying a building they thought was safe. However, covering holiday homes and rental/investment homes is going to be a sticking point for people unaffected. It's the same materials, same area, but refusing to fund holiday/rental homes feels like a "**** them, there doing okay" treatment which is unfair. They are impacted as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I remember reading this, I actually thought it was on another forum but found it here on another thread. I won't quote the poster

Alot of builders knew their were problems with Cassidys blocks for a good while and kept on using them.

People who do the wall chasing for the electricity used to ask the builders whose blocks they were using, if they were using other blocks other than Cassidys the price was alot higher, as you could cut through Cassidys blocks like a hot knife through butter. Literally.

This is why I ask if builder/contractors used the blocks? I can guess they didn't as they knew the blocks had issues so why did they have no problem using in someone elses house?

Sounds like hearsay, as I've seen other builders etc posting that the blocks were not cheaper, other posters stating that Cassidys were considered good etc.

Especially since the main issue of the mica blocks becoming brittle is a long term issue.

That quote includes groundworks and civils, not just demolition.

In any case, the mica group have a motivation to publicise the worst case examples, not typical or best case. So I'd take everything they say with a large helping of salt.

Just on the above, first you said the block supplier was taken to court and then a few posts later you say they weren't. Which is it? This is one of the things that's incredible frustrating about the campaign and it's hard to know if it's deliberate or not - extremely unclarity about what they've tried before looking to the state for a bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If you didn't know the differences between what was got in Leinster and being offered in Donegal perhaps you should of studied it a bit more before taking to the keyboard.

I wont for a moment disagree with you about homeowners being at fault.

But neither is the government, save for in a very shakey assertion type of way, almost certainly unactionable.

So "fault" cant be it, im afraid.

"Need" is a fairer angle from the Govt/shared responsibility point of view, and thats where investors have to be seen as different.

Right, I had to sign up to donegalLive for this, I hope you appreciate that :)

Mica-affected Inishowen families who initiated legal cases against Cassidy Brothers Concrete Products Limited in 2013 over defective blocks were told in 2016 the company did not have insurance cover in respect of their claims.

Donegal Live has seen a copy of one such letter from the firm of solicitors representing Cassidy Brothers.

Dated May 31, 2016, the letter said: “We refer to your correspondence of May 23 [2016] and confirm our instructions that our clients do not have insurance cover in respect of the aforementioned claims"

This information was communicated to those taking legal cases from their own solicitors in a letter dated June 8, 2016, which said: “We refer to your recent meeting with regard to the above matter. Please find enclosed copy letter received … confirming there is no insurance cover.

“The correspondence is somewhat bland and we find it difficult to understand how a company of this type is not insured for manufacturing a defective product.

"On the basis of the foregoing and as discussed, we do intend to bring one of these cases. It would be helpful to meet with you to establish which case we should bring and try and arrange the finance of the same.

“As this is effectively a test case, it would be essential that we prove it to the highest standard, which would involve employing the appropriate expert witnesses, barristers, etc. The costs of the case is not our primary concern, but it is something which we must look at reasonably.”

Oliver Lafferty from Carndonagh was one of the people who pursued a legal case against Cassidy’s.

Speaking to Donegal Live, Mr Lafferty said: “We heard about a neighbour who was asked by the company to sign a non-disclosure agreement with the company, in return for getting the outer leaf of their house repaired.

“They refused and decided to take a legal case, so when we noticed mica in our home, we decided to go the legal route too. That was in 2011.

“We went to our architect and we got an engineer. They took samples from our house, and, although they didn't say it was mica, it stood out in the report that was what the problem was and whenever we found out what mica was, we could see that was the problem.

“We were led to believe we could not find out whether or not Cassidy's had insurance until our case was registered with the High Court. We registered in 2013 and in 2016 we were told, for sure, there was no insurance.

“I felt as if we were led up the garden path,” he said.

“At that time the whole thought of a redress scheme was on the cards and I believe our case was dragged out till that point, so when we felt there was no insurance in place, there was something to fall back on, so there was less of a backlash. We were very vulnerable,” he said.

Three families took their cases forward, one bungalow and two two-storey houses, one with dash and one without. They had their houses surveyed and were given the cost it would be to replace.

Mr Lafferty did not withdraw his legal case against Cassidy's but believes it is now outside the statute of limitations.

“At the time I would have said, 'How the hell are Cassidy's doing council work without insurance. I don't know,” he said.

Raising the issue of Cassidy Brothers having no insurance at Monday’s meeting of Donegal County Council, Cllr Frank McBrearty (Independent) said the council must now answer the question, “why is it still buying product from Cassidy's?”

Take doors off, remove fittings, remove finishes, drain plumbing systems and remove sanitary ware. I could go on, but do you really need that listed for you?

Sure there will be exceptions, the disabled person who cannot manage that but the scheme should be designed around the norm, not the exception but have allowance for exceptions.

• Advertisement

That's the thing though, the government would not have been at "fault" in the Leinster case either, however they were happy to give full coverage to meet the needs in Leinster.

You keep bringing it up.

Unless you are doing so for typing practice you should maybe try to make sure you are explaining why in a way that convinces anyone

Specifically- you used it as a one liner in a point directly to me and im telling you it meant nothing so probably as well you save your typing it out the next time if its a response to me- i can state categorically that it didnt achieve anything.

If I go out and have my lunch 100% paid for me by work, do you really think it's equivalent for the next person to demand that their 5 course meal be paid for too? After all they set the precedent.

The equivalence the protesters are trying to draw with the pyrite scheme is a total nonsense since the scale is completely hugely, different. The average compensation per pyrite property was in the order of €70k. It will be a multiple of that for mica.

And you seem to be defending something you haven't a clue about or bothered to even to try and understand .

Waste of time trying to explain anything when it falls on deaf ears.

I have seen a few families doing some of this. Doors,fittings and even kitchens.

I think the demolition costs are enormous but seems to be what is being quoted to the homeowners and would fully support the housing authority to take over everything including demolition to make sure every penny is spent fairly.

If you had your lunch paid, and a coworker doing the same job was told they'd only get 90% (minus drink) paid, would that be fair?

The scale is different, but the actual problems are near like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

Get prepared for more complaints, everyone will want a rebuild.

Who'll be happy with an outer leaf if neighbour gets a full rebuild

Your comment compared to the tweet makes no sense. The tweet clearly shows they have 13% mica internally, measured, not guessed. This means it's 13x higher than the safe amount. OF COURSE YOU WOULD WANT IT REPLACED IF IT'S NOT SAFE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How big is your house though?

How much is the State handing over to you?

Will you be getting a brand new kitchen, tiles, etc

This is relevant information to make your argument about being 13k short for every other taxpayer, and maybe it's not such a bad thing as everyone else has to eventually fork out for kitchen replacements, etc.

Also, I believe the Sq/ft cost will be adjusted over time to reflect that costs will rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

All the houses have mica that's the point, will you accept an outer leaf if that's all that's approved or do will you want the house rebuild? Because the plan/cost of 2.2bn isn't to rebuild 8000 houses only the worst/minority will get that privilege.But I'm sure that the majority are expecting that's what their getting....

Advertisement