Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The difference being the UK are going ahead with a 4th just for the immunosuppressed. When we rolled out the extra dose for the immunosuppressed it was in parallel with boosters for 65+ in nursing homes.

Immunosuppressed will always get an extra jab. If you start offering a third jab to the public, it stands to reason the immunosuppressed will get an extra one on top.

So you haven't answered about Israel, is it a fourth jab for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They have had supplies in place for the fourth dose since Sept. There was no word of just compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's just the only thing I could find was this:

Specifically just for the immunocompromised, same route the UK is going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

@rovers_runner have to say I hadn't heard anything regarding the 4th dose Israel & the UK.

You don't happen to have a link to the source? I would be interested in reading through it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The section of society that cannot be vaccinated perhaps?

ya know, the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Thanks @rovers_runner for posting the links.

It would appear that talk of a 4th dose is just that at the moment, as in something that is under consideration "just in case". That's the gist of it that I got anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Nah am waiting to take the 5th

The stats show Covid is not a "deadly infection" to the vast majority of people. Are you talking about some other deadly disease we don't know about?

You've already been shown how The EU President has been mired in corruption scandals. Sebastian Kurz in Austria has resigned and now faces corruption charges. Gladys Berejiklian, Premier of NSW in Australia, also abruptly resigned once the corruption investigation started. Are they all innocent too? You're probably the same type who would of said Blatter and Platini were clean before being charged with corruption at FIFA 😄

You've bought into the whole narrative fed to you from paid mainstream media and are now too proud to budge an inch. Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Driving without seatbelts would quite safe too for the vast majority of drivers. It's only the ones who crash who have a problem. So why should we all wear seatbelts.....

The "vast majority" argument doesn't hold up, when we have had thousands die. And many thousands more would be dieing if not for the vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, but, if the 'thousands' (citation needed for that one) that would die have all been vaccinated and boostered then where is the need to vaccinate anyone else to whom the virus would be little more than a flu? It's already been proven that mass vaccination doesn't stop the spread anyway.

It was never a deadly infectionf for the majority. It is the percentage of the population with an inability to fight it off that we are protecting.

The reasons for taking this immunisation are the exact same as why I take the Flu shot each and every year...not for myself but for those around me who I know would be knocked for six if I brought it in to the household.

Immunisation is the right and moral thing to do. We put up with feeling under the weather for a day or two to protect those who need to be protected.

You don't care one jot about anyone but yourself and using boards.ie as a platform to undermine this effort by Society to protect its most vulnerable members makes you a very dangerous person. If we could avoid you we would but you not only refuse to take the shot but refuse to remain indoors and away from the public until the risk has subsided and potentially infecting others.

You'll use any argument you can to undermine this including calling in to doubt the morals and motivations of those who are trying to protect those who are vulnerable. Conspiracy theories about greed, hidden vested interests and population control are your tools in trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It was never a deadly infectionf for the majority. It is the percentage of the population with an inability to fight it off that we are protecting.

Covid jabs and boosters do not stop you from spreading the virus. The only way to truly keep vulnerable people safe is by getting yourself tested regularly before seeing them.

You do understand you can still spread the virus after being vaccinated and having a booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭eggy81

Does the flu vaccine actually stop you getting infected and passing on the flu though? Serious question. I don’t actually know but I’ve never heard of people talking of catching flu after being vaccinated. If so it is a far more worthwhile jab to take in comparison with the Covid jab so far.

This is fake news which you and others continue to perpetuate.

If you are not shedding virus then you are not spreading infection. Those who are immunised do not shed virus to any appreciable extent and are contagious for a very short period of time compared to those who are not.

The anti-vaxxers continue to suggest that those who are vaccinated are as contagious to the same extent and for as long as the unvaccinated and this has been shown to be completely untrue.

Flu jab is of variable effectiveness from year to year but you should still be taking it every year. I still take it yearly despite variability in effectiveness as I need to protect those around me.

Nice virtue signalling. I notice you completely ignored the fact that multiple politicians have resigned amid corruption allegations. Matt Hancock in the UK, too. Supposed to be saving lives and social distancing, but was having an affair with his assistant instead 😄 Does he only care about himself as well?

Here's an excerpt from an article on Moderna a few years back re: mRNA:

"Delivery — actually getting RNA into cells — has long bedeviled the whole field. On their own, RNA molecules have a hard time reaching their targets. They work better if they’re wrapped up in a delivery mechanism, such as nanoparticles made of lipids. But those nanoparticles can lead to dangerous side effects, especially if a patient has to take repeated doses over months or years.

Novartis abandoned the related realm of RNA interference over concerns about toxicity, as did Merck and Roche."

So, you keep taking your boosters every few months. I support your free choice to do so, even if, as the poster above pointed out, the vaxxes/boosters don't prevent infection or transmission.

Just don't expect everyone else to do the same.

You have a nice store of "Articles" at your disposal for use to put some distance between yourself and hard facts.

I don't know why you are trying to muddy the waters with a sleazy British politician when we were dragged off topic by discussing an E.U. politician and the E.U.s approach to fighting the spread of the virus.

It is all a very scattergun approach to introduce FUD I think.

It isn't virtue signalling to be telling everyone that they should be taking a yearly flu shot and a booster shot.

I'm hoping the reasonable amongst those reading this thread can step back and see exactly what sort person you are and draw conclusions as to your motivations for dissuading them from getting a booster shot.

Pointing out the politicians who've resigned during this pandemic due to corruption investigations was to shoot-down your naive belief that politicians "have no interest in enriching themselves". Others have told you the same.

Viruses mutate endlessly and hence there'll always be variants. Therefore, you do realize you'll likely be boosting twice a year for many years to come? Jacinda Ardern (NZ PM) said there was no end in sight to booster programmes.

Loads of people who are double jabbed are already saying they're not taking any more as there will be no end to it. Are they all "anti-vax" now as well?

Also explain to me why Pfizer are hesitant to go into countries where they are not granted indemnity against side effects etc? I encourage you to actually think about that, instead of just reverting to your "politicians and pharma companies are only trying to save lives, not enrich themselves" automatic response.

• Advertisement

More FUD and whataboutery from DrFrost. He won't be happy until hundreds of thousands of vulnerable Irish people are dead after being infected by those who themselves are healthy enough to withstand the virus but went without a vaccination due to his messaging.

Accept that this vaccine may eventually be rolled in to the flu shot and it won't be twice a year but once a year in the run up to Winter to prevent a Winter wave. We see that the risk retreats in summer.

6 monthly booster shots is fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I wouldn't be so confident on that until Israel decide that they don't need boosters 2&3 but these vaccines have probably reached the limit in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The flu jab is less effective than any of the approved COVID vaccines, for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I've had three, 2 standard, one additional, no booster, fully expect to get a booster in a few months time.

I'm taking two immunosuppressants, have asthma and crohn's disease, so yeah, high risk. In frequent contact with hospital for years, i fckin hate needles to the point of high anxiety, but it's gotta be done.

I had a friend tell me recently, "people with conditions like mine cant take the vaccine, and that's why he's going to whatever protest", oddly enough he didnt believe me when i told him i'd had three doses of it. Even more oddly, he's removed me from facebook..

This was someone i knew since my early teens. We're in our mid-40's now..

There is no fake news there, our biggest problem at the moment is the vaccinated carrying on like the vaccination is a silver bullet, it's not, you can still get, give and carry the virus. I'm fully vaccinated thanks, not anti-vax but we need some reality here.

Why is anyone who doesn't hail vaccination as the second coming automatically labelled as anti vax????

Your sin of ommission in here is saying "you can still get, give and carry the virus" instead of saying "you can still get, give and carry the virus in very limited circumstances during a considerably shorter period of contagion".

I made no sin of omission, complacency ifs the sin here, the circumstances aren't all that limited but yes hopefully time is on our side now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

On that last bit you may need to decide whether you are OK to fall out over this or find a way to live with your differences if the relationship is important. Opted for the latter more than once during this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

If Ursula van Der Leyen has a conflict of interest it is muddying the waters to say "Prove she's corrupt".

It is the conflict of interest which undermines her position and not having a conviction on corruption charges is orthogonal to that.

Advertisement