Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trevor Deely 21st Anniversary Missing (MOD NOTE IN OP)

• 07-12-2021 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Not sure this allowed so feel free to remove if not.

Hopefully someone will come forward at some point with some info.

Mod - These threads rarely end well. Friends and family of Trevor regularly search social media and it's been deeply upsetting in the past when they find one of our threads that's gone off the rails.

I'll leave the thread open if people want to mark the occasion but ABSOLUTELY NO SPECULATING.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

people have come forward, unfortunately they have not yet found a body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I think it's ok to have a thread to mark the occasion. What I believe is not allowed is speculation/theories/conspiracies about what happened to Trevor on that night.

This case is a real sad one. I lived along the canal, on Trevor's path, on the night he went missing and remember the initial efforts to find him- Cant imagine what it must be like for his family, the wondering and the loss.

As was said above, hopefully the truth will come out one day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Trevor_Deely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I didn't know what. Have the Gardí said that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

It's a very sad case. Always feel sorry for the family at this time of the year. In my opinion he is dead at this stage...hopefully his remains will be found but the longer it goes on the less chance of that happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Does anyone have the full article for the first link above?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

21 years today. What happened Trevor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

Its a really strange case, but the campaign has been amazing, as soon as you hear his name you know exactly what he looks like and I don't think there's a person from mid 30's up who doesn't know about this case.

Someone somewhere knows something and that's the heartache here, how can people live with themselves holding onto information like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“Someone somewhere knows something and that's the heartache here, how can people live with themselves holding onto information like that.”

Self preservation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - These threads rarely end well. Friends and family of Trevor regularly search social media and it's been deeply upsetting in the past when they find one of our threads that's gone off the rails.

I'll leave the thread open if people want to mark the occasion but ABSOLUTELY NO SPECULATING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭FrankN1

There was a 30 min documentary on last night on TG4. Not much new information but did recap a lot of the events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Honestly, I think at this stage any big announcement by the Gardai on this and similar cases are only tormenting families unless they have concrete evidence.

What appears to be happening is that very very occasionally a case was solved by an appeal years after the event and this has led the Gardai to believe it will work in more cases.

An appeal years later worked in a different society, in a more religious society fear of the afterlife/guilt may make someone come forward and confess or retract an alibi they gave, none of that is a given in today society.

Two other factors are at play as well, the Gardai might well have been more respected in the past but there was always an edger to it and many people didn't want to have anything to do with the Gardai so less likely to report something odd in case it brought them into the orbit of the Gardai, appeal years late may make someone like that come forward again that is less likely in today society.

In the case of missing women, in previous society, attitudes about women were different, less understanding that some men spouting nonsense about women might be dangerous, so a friend was more likely to give them an alibi to keep them out of trouble an appel years late might bring the alibi giver forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

On a related note, I was in a Nutgrove shopping centre bookshop yesterday and saw the book about Philip Kearns 'The Boy Who Never Came Home' on display. I thought it very sad, to see it there, just a stones throw from where he lived and disappeared. Like Trevor, its a case that has stuck in my mind for all of its 35 years and one that I had long hoped would be solved.

The families of both Trevor and Philip are long overdue a breakthrough in their cases and I hope they take comfort in the fact that they are both still in the minds of so many people who remember them.

Can't speculate? That's what keeps these things in the public eye!

Go look at Kristin Smart who went missing in 1996 and a guy set up a podcast in the last few years, speculating...and they arrested people and charged them with her murder! It was the podcast that essentially resulted in the suspects talking about it and the police caught them.

You can speculate on youtube, on reddit, on facebook but not on boards...

Your dead right.

Gardai should give up after about 12 months and close all cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

This particular case has always stuck with me, I was in 2nd year in college in Dublin at the time and his face was on every single pole around the city for months afterwards. I hope the family get some closure soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of course not, I didn't say that but relying on a technique that worked in a more religious fearfully society and more importantly a less knowing society might be just adding to the families grief and not moving the case forward

Hopefully he turns up safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was just a couple of years younger than Trev and also at an Xmas party that night. It was a miserable rainy evening, I always wondered if the Dodder was rising high and flowing fast that evening, he may have gone along it on his way home and who knows what could have happened.

• Advertisement

I think most people will protect “their own”, whether they are religious or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d protect my own in 99% of circumstances but if ‘my own’ committed a crime of other similarly devastating depravity ... and I was 100% sure they did it... I’d call the Gardai... you’d be a scumbag hypocrite if you didn’t...

Post edited by Strumms on

I don’t think you know until you have been in the situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Poor Trevor, I always hope that for the sake of the parents and family they find something.

Every time I pass the building where he used to work I always spare a thought for him. I'm not sure why he sticks in my mind, I think our Christmas party was the same night (along with most of the City!) and I remember all the flyers stuck to lampposts around town for so long afterwards, so maybe that's why. It's just so tragic someone our own age went out on a night and that was the last anyone saw of him.

I'm not sure when it was, but I watched an interview with the dad some stage afterwards and he was saying something like Trevor had just returned from being away. When the dad got home he wanted to catch-up with him but Trevor said he was in a hurry and he'd tell him tomorrow, sadly he never got the chance. That stuck with me even with my own kids, I never tell them (or let them tell me) I'll talk to them later, if we've something to tell or say, we tend to say it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

It's one of those mysteries that you really wish was resolved. Her family never knowing what happened is just a horrible form of torture that no one deserves. Raonaid Murray is a other case I would love to see solved.

The most horrible part is someone must know something. They've ruled out the possibility of him going into the canal. Someone has the answer and the family are owed the answer.

We have an unwritten agreement ar work that if you don't appear at work after a night out. The only ask is you let people know you are ok but unwell etc. We sent someone to the house to check of we don't get a response. It's because of this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nobody arrested in 21 years... so if the Gardai do suspect someone of wrongdoing there must be ZERO evidence... with which to arrest / charge them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

His poor father died, without knowing the truth

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - We'll leave it at that.

May he rest in peace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement