Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barra - December 7th/8th 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Not really sure what you're on about or how your reply fits in with what i said. Who said anything about not being able to discuss the weather or what is going on nationally? And no idea what snowflakes you're on about either. Never mentioned snow.

I'm talking about anyone posting up comments questioning decisions to close schools or saying it's not a big deal where they are, being met with replies of being idiots pretty much. Issue warnings and close things in a very cautious manner and you'll get people who won't follow warnings the next time or at some point in the future if they feel the warning wasn't warranted. For a lot of areas in orange closing schools is not going to seem warranted for a lot of people. For me personally, school closures didn't affect me whether they closed today or for the rest of the year.

So no self centered view of anything other than first hand experience in seeing people not react to future warnings because of overly cautious previous ones. It's the nature of people. They might feel like ME cried wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I'd love a month away from it all, imagine being in there, a heater, few books, tea,milk,water, cooker and fridge enough food and a warm bed.

I love living on the edge of insanity, it'll be my downfall. Better to die with my boots on...old school romantic here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a lucky time to get stranded on Fastnet.

My grandfather worked on the automation programme back in the day and I got a spin out there in the 1980s, its a truly spectacular location and I'd love to experience a big storm out there

That's a 12 hour plot. The first drop was when the wind direction shifted at about 7am in Cork City / Harbour. There's just been a been a very significant drop in last few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

We lost a roof tile in a gust this morning (North Wicklow), came shattering down into the front garden. Absolutely would have done serious damage if it had hit someone. If there are building sites in Dublin operating "as normal" then that's pretty appalling tbh.

No fishing boats afaik but a few container ships left very early probably expecting to be out of the main wind field as the storm approached

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope everyone is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Mayo is one of the windiest counties in Ireland, and yet on such a day as today its dead still, the irony of it is amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any chance of a red warning for Donegal tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Nope!

The tweet at post 1573 shows a trawler heading for Castletownbere, they just got in at lunchtime by the looks of it, that will have been a rough morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Pretty windy in Drumcondra now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Very wild here for the last hour in North Cork, saw 3 large trees down on my fields.

As long as the sheds hold. Was sweating there for a bit while it was coming due south. Coming from the West now.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Crazy windy and wet in limerick city / east clare for over an hour now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Hope the driver is OK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Went all quiet there for a while, but winds picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Galeforce

Gone crazy in Dublin again…. Wouldn’t fancy going out in that to pick kids up… glad they are home & safe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They don;t get it as they are talking with hindsight. met ie are working with foresight and they have to report and forecast the worst possible scenario for safety. Every possibility,

Imagine if you will that they did not do that? Played the possibilities down? And the worst happened? And there were deaths? That would be far far worse than what really are sensible precautions. Forecasting is not an exact science. There will almost always be more serious possibilities that thankfully do not happen but that there is a viable risk of. So rather than attack met.ie be very glad that worse did not happen . And that had it done so, damage would have been limited by precautions and forward awareness.. also given the militancy here? Imagine the lawsuits against met ie if something they did not advise/warn about led to serious injury or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

lol as long as there's a happy ending, and that happy ending isn't a seagull having a meal at my expense. Great movie though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Guy on Joe duffy getting his moment of fame having been on an aborted landing 😂

Flew in a few years ago and we landed on the 4th attempt in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LOL, I haven't moved any goalpost. I simply opined in my original note that this country has gone too far down the nanny state road and that emergency services should essentially be at the service of the public, not the other way around. That they should by all means advise the public of potential adverse conditions but not start telling the public at large that they shouldn't do this or that in order not to endanger the same services.

We see a similar sort of argument going down regarding Covid, public restrictions and the health services, and the relationship between same. i.e. do the health services exist for the benefit of the public or is it the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Wind picking up in Achill again. Feels a lot colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

It's a lot more than "a bit breezy" here. Really windy for the last couple of hours, would certainly not want to be driving in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

from dead calm,all of a sudden wind just started to pick up here,west mayo.

Maintenance crews - and folk can visit under certain conditions. Essential that they be meticulously cared for. And TV crews for various programmes. I would dearly love to live a year out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I have you rattled don't I? You don't like my opinions or views feel free to ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dunno if I'd last a year, but I'd absolutely love a chance to visit!

Yeah, I know the maintenance, visitors, TV, etc all visit (as I spit with envy), but I very much doubt they're out there today. I am of course open to correction on that, but am just a bit sceptical..... I've already seen two videos/photos on FB which are demonstrably not from today, people will lash up anything for an auld like!

Whenever it's from, though, that is a very impressive video.

Thought this was a man? What does WUM mean please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Don't want to be "that person".... but this is nowhere near as bad as Ophelia was for us. East Cork near the coast.

I was out for a 5km walk a while ago and there were no trees or even branches down. One or two exposed spots were very windy but apart from that it was like any other windy day.

Advertisement